PDA

View Full Version : Growing pains

Rye
01-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Did you get those really bad as a child? You know - the pain you feel in your legs when you're a child and growing up. Tall kids got them the worst.

I got really cranky thinking back to this because of the irony. I had never met a child who got them as badly as I did as a kid. I was tall for my age too, so everyone expected me to be so tall. But it was all for nothing - I'm three inches taller than the required height for putting your child in one of those baby seat harnesses in the car and I'm turning 20 soon. :colbert:

Also discuss: irony.

Bunny
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I have been the same height since the summer between 8th and 9th grade. I do not recall having any pains whatsoever.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't remember ever getting them except for the past couple years, which is weird because I don't think I've been growing still.

Timekeeper
01-15-2010, 02:23 PM
I know the pain you're talking about Rye. I've always had them since I can remember, yet I've had no such irony, I'm tallish.

rubah
01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
are you talking about shin splints?

I never had anything like that. Just something my mom told me was growing pains in my chest, but what I believe was just indigestion or heartburn. Oops.

Rye
01-15-2010, 02:32 PM
It's like a burning pain in your calves, even if you didn't do any kind of work out or heavy exercise. Even on days where I just sat around all day and play video games, it hurt! It hurt your shins like shin splints, too. I'd get them a lot later in the day and I'd lay around and beg for leg massages. Sometimes a parent would put muscle relaxant cream on them and it'd help a lot.

Come to think of it, it wasn't all that bad, because it trained me for begging for back massages in the future :bigsmile:

Breine
01-15-2010, 03:23 PM
I had it sometimes. Maybe only a couple of times, and it didn't really hurt that much.

Plus, I'm like 6'2" these days. Harharhaaaarrrr :P

Raistlin
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I have heard about these, but I never experienced them. I've been roughly the same height since 9th or 10th grade.

Breine
01-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Seriously, everytime I scroll down the forums I mistake this title for "Growing Penis" xD

~*~Celes~*~
01-15-2010, 09:59 PM
I used to get them a lot and I'm in the same boat as you, only I'm like 1 1/2" shorter than you, Rye :(

Rantz
01-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm 6'5" and can't remember ever getting them. I think we need to rename them "Staying short pains".

Mogi
01-15-2010, 10:52 PM
I once had horrible "growing pains" in my right hip in the sixth grade. I went to the doctor's office and she confirmed it, telling me to put heat on it. A few days later I woke up and my right leg was absolutely numb and paralyzed. I used crutches and grabbed my pants leg with my hand to step with my right leg that day, because I was afraid that I'd be in trouble if I said that there was something wrong (that's a different story).

The next day I passed out in the middle of the living room and was taken to the emergency room. I had a staph infection that was accelerated through my bloodstream by the heat and almost killed me. I was comatose because of my fever and they had me packed in ice for a whole day. I had two surgeries and I was never supposed to walk again, and at least not without a cane.

I walk fine, but my right hip tends to stiffen up every once in a while if I sit still for a long time.

Irony mostly, but "growing pains" too.

Also, the doctor who told me to put heat on it was fired.

Rye
01-15-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm 6'5" and can't remember ever getting them. I think we need to rename them "Staying short pains".

Whoa, 6'5"?! You're two inches taller than Huxley is. The only person I know taller than that is our friend Barry Manilow - he's 6'8". Damn you Scandinavia!

And gosh, Mogi, glad you can walk again. That sounds pretty awful. ;;

Madame Adequate
01-15-2010, 11:30 PM
I used to get terrible growing pains as a child. I was unable to walk sometimes.

qwertysaur
01-16-2010, 02:44 AM
yes. I still get them on rare occasions and they are really annoying :(

Tavrobel
01-16-2010, 02:53 AM
You mean these Growing Pains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v91eQbflFA&fmt=18)?

Shiny
01-16-2010, 02:57 AM
My legs are actually pretty long and so are my arms. I'd feel pain in those areas, but it wasn't excruciating -- just a slight discomfort.

Quindiana Jones
01-16-2010, 03:00 AM

I don't know why, but I always assumed you were under 6'. I suppose your tallness explains your gorilla walk to the fridge. /excruciatinglyoldjokereference

Levian
01-16-2010, 03:11 AM
Seriously, everytime I scroll down the forums I mistake this title for "Growing Penis" xD

I'm not alone!

Never had 'em

Quindiana Jones
01-16-2010, 03:13 AM
Never had a growing penis?

Tavrobel
01-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Never had a growing penis?

He must not be able to get it up. It's a serious problem for many men, and as a joke should not be taken lightly.

Or Lev could be a girl in disguise. An elaborate, but well done lie.

black orb
01-16-2010, 04:42 AM
>>> Growing up is supposed to cause pain? I never had something like that..:luca:

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-16-2010, 05:37 AM
I'm 6'1" and I got them really bad. At night I'd be in so much pain sometimes that my dad would have to rub my legs. Urgh, it sucked. :/

scrumpleberry
01-16-2010, 03:06 PM
I never got them and I was tallchild. I'm above average height now but I don't think most people would call me tall.

Raistlin
01-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Levian's a guy????

rubah
01-16-2010, 04:43 PM
This clearly has nothing or little to do with height, so now I'm curious what these pains actually are. Bone marrow being pushed out, tendons extending?

Rye
01-16-2010, 05:15 PM
I researched it a little more, and it seems to not actually have to do with growing directly, but are pains that occur when a child is in an age when they're likely to be growing, if that makes sense. A child can have these pains really badly at the ages of 5-8 and 10-12, it seens.

Rodarian
01-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I remember them .. I begged either my mum or grandma to press my legs.... Man it ached for me :(

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2010, 06:36 AM

I'm not short, you prick. >:|

Tavrobel
01-17-2010, 06:39 AM

Levian's a guy????

Okay, fine, Levian is a transsexual, and we have no idea what direction he/she/it went.

Jessweeee♪
01-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Yeeeeesss I got them really bad from my knees down, sometimes I'd even cry ;_;!

The worst part is I still get them and I'M NOT GROWING :nonono:

Jiro
01-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah I've had growing pains. It was hard to distinguish between the growing pains and the ordinary your-body-is-terrible pains. Like Mogi, I wasn't supposed to walk (radically different circumstances though). Sure showed those doctors!

Captain Maxx Power
01-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I had serious growing pains. When I was in my adolescence, I used to get the snot beat out of my every day. Hurt like crazy.

Zeldy
01-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I used to get reaaaaaaally bad growing pains in my boobs, just thought you'd all like to know that. I never got them in my legs!