PDA

View Full Version : Weakest Character

Del Murder
01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
This game is very popular and has a lot of cool characters, but this was the first game in the series where your battle abilities (materia) weren't character specific and you could switch them around at will, giving you the freedom to use other criteria to make your character selection.

Which characters did you find you used the least? Why didn't you use them?

I rarely used Cait Sith because I thought he was a bland character and I didn't like his limit break. I also didn't use Barret that much because his innate magical ability wasn't that high.

Raistlin
01-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I never used Caith Sith, because, as you mentioned, I didn't care for his limit break, which is also the same reason I rarely used Vincent. I also never used Aerith except where required, because I didn't care for her character.

My most-used other party members were Cid, Tifa, and Red XIII due to a combination of their innate abilities and limit breaks. Out of the others, I'd more likely use Yuffie over Barret.

RedPouch
01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Hated Yuffie. Useless stupid bitch.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[!]Session data[/!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Rad Bromance
01-15-2010, 07:17 PM
I rarely used Cait Sith or Vincent.

Cait Sith because I saw nothing redeeming to his character, and his limit break was lame to me, and Vincent because I didn't like his limit breaks (though I liked his character).

Lunatic_High
01-15-2010, 07:24 PM
I never used Caith Sith, because, as you mentioned, I didn't care for his limit break.

Thus why I voted Caith Sith myself.

nirojan
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
cait sith....i gotta say he sux. Never even bothered using him and totally wish i never acquired him. When he dies he just came back and Nobody really cared!:D

Elly
01-15-2010, 08:06 PM
my A-Team was Cloud, Tiffa, & Yuffie (or Aerith)... my B-Team was Vincent, Cid, & Red XIII (or Barret)... Cait Sith can go die as he has a skill to suicide your entire party anyway...

Rantz
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I didn't use Cait Sith or Aerith very much.

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Yuffie, cause she's a @#$% whore who deserves to die from @#$%#%

She can go to hell and @#$#$%$% with #@$@$% and then #$%% while $#$% %#$% #$%$%^ %^^&&^*^&#% and then she'll have to #$%@%^ sideways. :penciltrick:

RedPouch
01-15-2010, 10:47 PM

She can go to hell and @#$#$%$% with #@$@$% and then #$%% while $#$% %#$% #$%$%^ %^^&&^*^&#% and then she'll have to #$%@%^ sideways. :penciltrick:
^ This.

Limit Breaks never really mattered to me, so I wasn't bothered too much by the fact that Cait Sith's wasn't that great. When I picked up Yuffie, she seemed pretty useless [aside from the fact that she's an annoying bitch that isn't very smart] from what I remember, so overall I didn't care for her character.

Beyond that, I almost never used Cait Sith anyways.

PS. Wolf Kanno, I'm interested in hearing the uncensored version of this post of yours later.

Del Murder
01-15-2010, 11:50 PM
WK your post was awesome.

line_genrou
01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Cait Sith.

Raistlin
01-16-2010, 12:41 AM

Yuffie was great, you *$%@#.

Actually, Yuffie's existence was justified if only because of her Conformer which made the Morph materia more bearable.

Rad Bromance
01-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Yuffie + D.Blow Materia = Awesome. :)

seiferalmasy2
01-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Cait is absolute crud and worthless but ironically he has the hardest move in the game, capable of killing ANY enemy in 1.

Vermachtnis
01-16-2010, 03:47 AM
I never really used Vincent and Cait Sith all that much. Or Red XIII, but I used him a bit more than those other two.

Shiny
01-16-2010, 04:05 AM
Yuffie is pointless and annoying. Aeris/Aerith I didn't use because someone told me she dies, so I was like, "Well no point in leveling her up then." I didn't care much for using Cait Sith either for the same reason as Del.

Tacirn
01-16-2010, 07:16 AM
Cait Sith is awful and I didn't use Aerith much due to lack of strength. I found Yuffie good in my party for a time being. I mainly stuck with Cloud, Cid, Vincent and occasionally Barret but I beat Ruby and Emerald without him.

Chloe.
01-17-2010, 08:23 PM
I didn't use Cait Sith or Aerith very much.

Same for me, I didn't find Cait Sith to be as strong as others, and I've never like Aerith so I wanted to see her as little as possible.

My team is usually Cloud, Tifa and Red XIII. :up:

Karifean
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
I only used Cloud, Barret, Cid and Yuffie, due to having the strongest limits. Yuffie's Bloodfest and End of the Living are extremely nice attacks, Cid's Highwind just ROX and Barret can deal a lot of damage with either Ungarmax (Angermax) or Catastrophe (though I hardly used Catastrophe).

seiferalmasy2
01-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Doom of the living :P

Marshall Banana
01-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Vincent is the only character I actually don't like to use. He's boring, I guess. And a little mopey.

Hated Yuffie. Useless stupid bitch.
You guys are just jealous!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/yuffie.jpg

She's too cute for you.

Raistlin
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, Yuffie is very unjustly maligned. Not only is she useful in battle (especially because of Conformer + Morph), but her antics prompted the most entertaining sidequest in the game.

Of course, recruiting her for the first time is a huge pain.

Wolf Kanno
01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
You guys are just jealous!

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/yuffie.jpg

She's too cute for you.

More like she's jail bait created to get a slice of the pedo market. :p

Yeah, Yuffie is very unjustly maligned. Not only is she useful in battle (especially because of Conformer + Morph), but her antics prompted the most entertaining sidequest in the game.

The problem is you say its because of Conformer which is her overpowered super weapon that makes her as strong as everyone else but until then she's useless as a fighter cause everyone else is far more useful in battle and don't need some end game bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: super weapon to make them useful. Even Cait Sith is a more powerful party member.

her antics prompted the most obnoxious sidequest in the game.

Fixed it for you... The fact that Cloud took her back after that bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: shows that your party was being lead by an idiot. I'd have let Don Corneo have her after I got my materia back, if I could sell her to him I definetly would.

Vermachtnis
01-17-2010, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=Raistlin;2777660]Yeah, Yuffie is very unjustly maligned. Not only is she useful in battle (especially because of Conformer + Morph), but her antics prompted the most entertaining sidequest in the game.

The problem is you say its because of Conformer which is her overpowered super weapon that makes her as strong as everyone else but until then she's useless as a fighter cause everyone else is far more useful in battle and don't need some end game bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: super weapon to make them useful. Even Cait Sith is a more powerful party member.

You were doing it wrong if you noticed any real difference between the characters. Apart from limit breaks and weapons all the characters where the essentially the same stat-wise.

her antics prompted the most obnoxious sidequest in the game.

Fixed it for you... The fact that Cloud took her back after that bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: shows that your party was being lead by an idiot. I'd have let Don Corneo have her after I got my materia back, if I could sell her to him I definetly would.

You must be a very, mean evil, dark, mean, person who lacks any funness and is mean.

seiferalmasy2
01-17-2010, 11:40 PM
That side quest was good and it added more to Yuffie's story, despite some still maintaining that Yuffie didn't have a story.

You also come away with 1 more piece of Materia that you cannot get anywhere else (I think).

Also Rapps is a great Boss because you just aren't expecting something that hard (aeroga spell is uses) with no materia.

Raistlin
01-18-2010, 12:15 AM
The fact that Cloud took her back after that bull:bou::bou::bou::bou: shows that your party was being lead by an idiot. I'd have let Don Corneo have her after I got my materia back, if I could sell her to him I definetly would.

Obviously it would be frustrating as hell for the characters involved, but you're playing a game, and that game will have challenges in it (otherwise it would suck). The Yuffie sidequest is involved and interesting, with multiple components and bonuses. I always had fun doing it.

And no, Yuffie is not the best character to use in battle. She's right around fifth on my depth chart (behind Cloud, Cid, Tifa, and Red XIII). I would put her ahead of Cait Sith, Vincent, and Aerith, though. And yes, it is just an "game mechanic" which makes her very advantageous to have, but you can say that about pretty much everything. The Morph materia would be borderline useless (or at least very frustrating) without her.

Wolf Kanno
01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
You were doing it wrong if you noticed any real difference between the characters. Apart from limit breaks and weapons all the characters where the essentially the same stat-wise.

I've always found her to be slightly less powerful than the others but I blame this on the fact that I'm usually horribly over leveled in this game for some reason... So the idea of leveling the @#$@ up to be on equal terms with the rest of the cast just doesn't bode well. I usually put her in my party so I can have my party members take turns killing her and then get her exp. for them.

You must be a very, mean evil, dark, mean, person who lacks any funness and is mean.Yes... Yes I am.

That side quest was good and it added more to Yuffie's story, despite some still maintaining that Yuffie didn't have a story.

You also come away with 1 more piece of Materia that you cannot get anywhere else (I think).

Also Rapps is a great Boss because you just aren't expecting something that hard (aeroga spell is uses) with no materia.

It doesn't help her background nearly as much as the Pagoda Battles did, all it really does is show how much of a selfish bitch she is and two-faced when she gets into trouble. The only part of that whole scenario that is awesome is the Turks and we could have probably been able to see that without the whole Yuffie ordeal.

If it wasn't for the fact that she is the only means of getting one of my favorite summons in the game (Leviathan), I would never recruit her. I say I hate a lot of characters but I probably mean dislike except in this case: I smurfing hate Yuffie and nothing brings out my inner troll faster than her and Yuna.

Marshall Banana
01-18-2010, 01:23 AM
I think her mischief makes her even cuter.

Jiro
01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
My party has Nanaki for certain until I after I get Yuffie and Vincent. Then, when Cid comes, I have to choose between the four of them. I've tried using the other characters on other play throughs to be fair though. But Cait Sith just.. I just can't.

And I respectfully disagree with the Yuffie haters. A lot :colbert:

qwertysaur
01-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I neglect Vincent and Barret in every playthrough. I try to use them but then I forget and go back to Nanaki Cid Tifa and Yuffie. I don't count Aeris as not being used because she is an amazing healer despite you only have her for half the game. Nanai is a doggy, Yuffie is a Klepto and Tifa beats everyone up. Watching her pick up Safer Sephiroth and slamming him into the ground never gets old :p

Cait Sith I used on my first playthrough because he was cool, but he is a spy and for that he never sees battle >:/

Roogle
01-23-2010, 10:37 PM
I rarely used Cait Sith for the same reasons as mentioned in the opening post.

I liked Reeve as a character a lot and I thought it was a shame that his presentation with Cait Sith was portrayed as silly because he was actually a very serious player in the story being the inside mole to Shinra Corporation for half of the game. I would have liked it if they handled that somewhat differently.

Kyros
01-24-2010, 04:32 AM
Cait Sith sucked. Ive probably used him for less than an hr total out of my 209580 playthroughs. Also when he 'sacrificed' himself to get the black materia it wasnt climactic in any way whatsoever. Throw the doll into the temple and everybody's fine...DUH THATS THE EASY DECISION TO MAKE.

Roogle
01-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Cait Sith sucked. Ive probably used him for less than an hr total out of my 209580 playthroughs. Also when he 'sacrificed' himself to get the black materia it wasnt climactic in any way whatsoever. Throw the doll into the temple and everybody's fine...DUH THATS THE EASY DECISION TO MAKE.

Yes, I agree about the situation in the Temple of the Ancients. I felt like the scene was meant to be sad even though we, as players, knew that Cait Sith was just a robot being controlled by someone remotely, and that there was nothing really lost. The fact that Cait Sith came back immediately afterward like nothing had even happened really ruined what could have been a dramatic scene.

Raistlin
01-24-2010, 08:15 AM
I've heard some people consider it as a foreshadow for Aerith's death. Me, I just like to think of it as intentionally obnoxious irony and just be amused by it.

Miriel
01-26-2010, 11:44 PM
What's with the Yuffie hate? I thought she was cute. I'd go around stealing materia too if I lived in that world. :greenie:

I used Cait Sith and Vincent the least. I don't really know why, I just liked the other characters more.

Rantz
01-27-2010, 12:33 AM
I've never minded Yuffie either. She was funny!

Roogle
01-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Yuffie was a good character from a gameplay standpoint because she has the ability to attack from a long range and she possesses a multiple hit Limit Break, "Doom of the Living", which puts her one up ahead of some other characters.

I felt like they made too much comic relief of her story since it is rather tragic that she feels the need to resort to stealing Materia to help her country regain its former glory that she remembers as a child. I heard she has a more serious role as a supporting character in Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII.

LunarWeaver
01-28-2010, 07:22 AM
I was never big on Cait Sith because of his limit break. I liked Yuffie until she crashed my PC game. Now she can $#^@ herself with an icepick.

Mercen-X
01-31-2010, 12:41 AM
Pretty much used everybody. My main party late in the game would consist of the heavy multihitters though: Tifa with seven Breaks and Cid with his Highwind. Combined with Cloud's Omnislash, there was very little competition from enemies... or the other characters.
If they had included a HP Damage Cap break, I probably would have used the other characters more often. But, Barret & Vincent's 7 attacks only have a couple of hits and I think I remember Yuffie and Nanaki's as being just one group hit. When you can just combine a magic spell with all, why would this limit break be useful?

ANGRYWOLF
01-31-2010, 02:57 AM
in case I need them later on...

I didn't like Cait Sith's limit break and I didn't like yuffie's personality but I leveled them up and used them from time to time anyway.

Technically aeris was probably the weakest physically but most healers in games are the weakest physically anyway.

:)

BG-57
02-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Jumping on the bandwagon here, I never cared for Cait Sith's Slots, although Dice was useful, especially leveled up. I just don't like randomness as part of an attack strategy, I much prefer predictability.

Also purely from an visual standpoint the Moogle part was awful. Should have just stuck to a cute little cat puppet and left it at that.

Rye
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Rarely used Cait Sith or Red XIII, though I liked Red as a character. I think my team was usually Cloud, Tifa and Sailor Suit Barret.

Karifean
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM
Seems like I'm one of the very few who didn't think much of Tifa in battle. I always measure characters' power by the strength of their Limit Breaks, and Barret's Ungarmax and Yuffie's Doom of the Living are just great (Tifa can only do 7 hits), especially if you use Hero Drinks to power them up. And, of course, Cloud and Cid are always in my party, also thanks to Apocalypse and Flayer.

I think I hardly used Cait Sith, Red XIII and Vincent, because by the time I got them, I had already 6 of the 7 limit breaks for Cloud, Barret and Yuffie - and those three got REALLY nice limit breaks on the third level. Cid is an exception here; though he's the last character you get, I still try to get all his LBs as fast as possible (by the time I learned them all, I already got the Highwind item).

Kyros
02-06-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure Barret had the worst overall stats in the entire game plus he sucked so I never used him either except when the game made me. I also don't use Aeris in any playthroughs b/c shes bad imo. She has a few good limits but overall at least 1/2 of them are a waste, and I rarely had to use them since cure + all easily replaced healing wind or w/e her lv1 was called. After that she didnt get anything useful till lv3 if I remember correctly.

If/when I play the game again I might make myself use Yuffie since I've always wanted to but never could make myself put her in the party over Cid and Tifa.

Karifean
02-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Barret has the most HP, and that helps me get Beta from Midgar Zolom before Junon. When he's done that, I'm forever grateful and keep him in the party - at least until Rocket Town. So Barret ain't the worst. Btw, his ranged attack can help a lot.

Kyros
02-07-2010, 02:36 AM
He has less hp than Cait Sith (I'm pretty sure thats the only good stat that doll has but its really high), and his attack is weak. Who cares about other stats, but his stat growth is poo, and his limits are meh.

Shiny
02-07-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm glad most EoFFers agree that Yuffie is full of suck.

Karifean
02-07-2010, 08:33 AM
Well, as I said before, by the time I get Cait Sith, Barret already has learned Ungarmax, which is actually much better than Cait Sith's HP advantage (IMO).

And about Yuffie - she was awesome in battle. Not only could she easily deal 9999 with Morph, but also she has a very nice 2x AP weapon stolen from Diamond Weapon - that and her limit break Doom of the Living. Besides, when you first get her (which is always before Junon whenever I play FF7) you can already get Boomerang as a better weapon; also, her standart armor is very nice.

BG-57
02-07-2010, 06:02 PM
HP Plus and MP Plus negates natural HP and MP limits, so that's never a concern for me.

My single favorite limit break is Great Gospel, but it's defensive rather than offensive. I actually dislike Vincent's limits since he's uncontrollable, so I prefer using him in random battles instead of boss fights. Yuffie falls in between for me, neither the best nor the worst.

But Cait Sith still bottoms out my list.