PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Vocal Theme?

Rad Bromance
01-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Ever since Final Fantasy VIII, Square has graced almost each FF game with wonderful vocal themes (or, for the most part wonderful at least). Which is your favorite? My personal favorite would probably have to be "Eyes on Me", because it was so much a part of the story and added so much to the Julia/Laguna story, for me at least. :D

Also, what do you think about the now series staple of adding a vocal them? Yay or nay?

MJN SEIFER
01-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Theres a vocal in FFV and FFVII :)

But yeah, "Eyes On Me" is a beutiful song, and I rate the scene it plays in as one of my favorite FF moments ever.

And yes, I think it's good to have songs.

Rodney
01-16-2010, 07:49 AM
I like 10's the best. It's the only one I can remember the basic theme of.

Wolf Kanno
01-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I think they were interesting in the beginning, capitalizing on the "big movie song" that Titanic moved to the forefront. The problem is that I feel only VIII and IX got them right cause their music is actually part of the story. The later entries seem to have music for the sake of it, X-2 excluded but in my opinion X-2 should be disqualified cause none of it was good... *runs from his GF*

asukaevaunit02
01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Favourite would be Suteki Da Ne from X, just over Eyes on Me. Both were done really well, they fitted in with the game/story and added that extra something to the mood. I probably just favour Suteki Da Ne becuase I recently played X and enjoyed it more than VIII.
IX was also good, and fitted but, it only worked in the end.

VeloZer0
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Wow, I dislike all of them. I didn't come here to hate, but after looking through the list I can't pick a single one I liked.

Raistlin
01-16-2010, 04:48 PM
The problem is that I feel only VIII and IX got them right cause their music is actually part of the story. The later entries seem to have music for the sake of it, X-2 excluded but in my opinion X-2 should be disqualified cause none of it was good...

You practically took the words out of my mouth. Especially for the last part.

MJN SEIFER
01-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Well FFVII's was relovent to the story too, but most people don't speak latin so they didin't notice, also I guss FFV's was relovent, but the only lyric I can hear is "in the broken world" - and I guess the world was sort of "broken" in FFV.

charliepanayi
01-16-2010, 08:19 PM
I really like Eyes on Me, but Melodies of Life is my favourite, it's a lovely song.

Vermachtnis
01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
Eternal Love, like Get Down? I know the song's name is Promise, but that meme popped in my head when I read that.

Anyway I voted for Melodies of Life from IX. Really like that song.

Rantz
01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I really like Eyes on Me, but Melodies of Life is my favourite, it's a lovely song.

Me too!

PeneloRatsbane
01-17-2010, 11:40 AM
The opera (with lyrics) from VI is very nice.
Eyes on me, is beautiful
Melodies of life, brilliant and sad
Suteki Da Ne, the background music is just so nice
Kiss me goodbye, I think this one gets underrated as it doesn't seem, on the surface of it, to link with the game. I think it does, an underlying theme of the game is losing love (dead husband for Ashe, Dead families for Penelo, Vaan and Ashe, estranged families for Fran, Balthier, Basch and Larsa). Its sad but realistic in a way, sort of like the end of FFXII
My Hands, took a few listens but i love it now. Love the lyrics and Leona sure can belt it out!

blackmage_nuke
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
I loved the FFVI opera scene though thats not really vocals,
One winged angel is pretty epic
Eyes on me would probably be my favourite if we didnt include FFVI
I liked the ending credits orchestral version on Sudeki da ne, the one at the springs was ok
Hymn of the fayth was short and sweet
Couldnt understand anything in Otherworld Until i looked up the lyrics
Real emotions felt like a refreshing change
didnt like 1000 words on the thunder plains, loved the version in the credits

MJN SEIFER
01-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Why are One Winged Angel, Otherworld and whatever the name of FFV's one not on the list?

VeloZer0
01-17-2010, 03:49 PM
One Winged Angel didn't have any vocals in FFVII, only in subsequent version.

And yeah, why isn't Otherworld on the list? It and the Advent Children OWA are the only vocal ones I really like.

Rad Bromance
01-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Otherworld and One Winged Angel are not themes, they are just vocal tracks within the games.

Bolivar
01-17-2010, 06:19 PM
I think they were interesting in the beginning, capitalizing on the "big movie song" that Titanic moved to the forefront. The problem is that I feel only VIII and IX got them right cause their music is actually part of the story. The later entries seem to have music for the sake of it, X-2 excluded but in my opinion X-2 should be disqualified cause none of it was good... *runs from his GF*

LOL @ the Titanic comparison, but it really seems like its true. I also agree about VIII and IX's, they were pretty powerful because of how they played into the story.

FFIX wins by a slight margin for me. It was an incredible ending to an incredible game. I was very emotional the first time I beat that game :cry:

FFVIII's was phenomenal to me as well. One of the best scenes in the game, it was perfect.

blackmage_nuke
01-17-2010, 07:03 PM

Yes it did, giant choir and everything, though it takes about a minute to get into the vocals
YouTube - Safer Sephiroth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkFphJHi608#t=1m18s)

VeloZer0
01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
So it does. I opened a copy of One Winged Angel from the OST and sampled a few places in the song to double check, but I guess I was just unlucky.

Depression Moon
01-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Melodies of Life any objectors will be annihilated.

MJN SEIFER
01-17-2010, 09:54 PM

No, the FFVII version had vocals, I have played that scene many times, and it definatly had vocals, they where latin but they where vocals.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread.

Shiny
01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I like Eyes on Me, but not fond of Faye Wong's engrish in it. "I kinda light it your way"

MJN SEIFER
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM
I like Eyes on Me, but not fond of Faye Wong's engrish in it. "I kinda light it your way"

Liked

qwertysaur
01-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Suteki Da Ne is a beautiful song.

Raistlin
01-19-2010, 04:47 AM

Liked

I think Shiny just used that as an example of how the singing sounded Engrish to her at times.

P4ine
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Suteki da ne and Kimi ga iru kara, if i was to choose one... Kimi ga iru kara

MJN SEIFER
01-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Liked

I think Shiny just used that as an example of how the singing sounded Engrish to her at times.

Oh, ok. I apologize.

Forsaken Lover
01-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Melodies of Life plays after the best ending in the entire series.
So it's goodness is multiplied.

Momiji
01-21-2010, 01:21 AM
I guess Liberi Fatali doesn't count?

Super Christ
01-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Favorite is "Tooi Hibi no Nagori", a vocal version of "Sorrows of Parting" from FFV. After that, both "Tsuki no Akari" from FFIV and "Distant Worlds" from FFXI hold very high placings for me.

Kyros
01-23-2010, 02:47 AM
One Winged Angel did have vocals in the battle vs Safer Sephiroth, but I still would vote Eyes On Me best since its the only one I ever really think of whenever I think of a FF song with lyrics. I had forgotten FFIX even had a song with lyrics in it and dont even remember how it went wtf hows it winning up there O.o

charliepanayi
01-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I had forgotten FFIX even had a song with lyrics in it and dont even remember how it went wtf hows it winning up there O.o

Because it's great.

MJN SEIFER
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I had forgotten FFIX even had a song with lyrics in it and dont even remember how it went wtf hows it winning up there O.o

If you're still stuggling, it is the song Garnet "sings" thoughout the game (she just "la-la-la"s it.) it is given lyrics at the end of the game.

Roogle
01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Eyes On Me and Melodies of Life are the only two that I considered in the poll as the others feel like they were chosen and placed into the game rather than having a significant story.

In Final Fantasy X-2, the vocal themes were placed in the story without any significance than being a part of a performance for the background characters. In Final Fantasy VIII, Eyes on Me was a song that Julia wrote about Laguna, but was not actually heard until much later in the game. In Final Fantasy IX, Garnet would sing parts of Melodies of Life occasionally.

I vastly prefer a song with importance rather than a song chosen to represent or symbolize a part of the game or the entire game. My Hands by Leona Lewis, for example — what does it have to do with Final Fantasy XIII besides being a pretty song that plays during the credits roll?

PeneloRatsbane
01-23-2010, 10:36 PM
"My Hands" is about longing for lost love, I think its pretty clear link to Snow and Serah

Roogle
01-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Didn't the Japanese version have a different song, though? That almost makes it like it's just a fan music video and you choose some song about the characters.

Of course, it's good that there is some correlation between the song and some aspect of the story, but can't the same be said for anime music videos or other fan videos where people play videos from the game and choose a song important to them? You can't necessarily say that about Eyes On Me or Melodies of Life considering how tied into the story they were. If Leona Lewis wrote the song for the game and it was something that Serah sang or wrote for Snow, then it would have a lot more meaning to me.

Kyros
01-24-2010, 04:53 AM
Oh I forgot the lala song was given lyrics and stuff at the end since all I remember about the ending was being upset Zidane didn't die =/ I still don't consider it near as good as 'Eyes On Me' and haven't heard another composition w/lyrics from a FF I like as much.

Karifean
01-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Suteki Da Ne

Although I liked To Zanarkand better, too bad it can't be voted (well, it ain't really a vocal theme...)

Sephiroth
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I will not count Katayoku no Tenshi now. It is unbeaten in my list.

So I definitely vote for Kimi ga iru kara. This theme was one of the most important reasons I've loved Final Fantasy XIII even before I had it. And when I had finished the story and Kimi ga iru kara was played - it was just awesome.