PDA

View Full Version : Translation. Need help from people here.

seiferalmasy2
01-16-2010, 07:32 AM
There are a few things that none of us can agree on because the Japanese does not allow for a perfect translation or because space is limited or because it sounds awful.

We have now looked at the issue and have some propositions:

ITEM 1 "Omnislash"

Japanese: 超究武神覇斬

Translation: Super Ultimate War-God Supreme Slash

To be used: Hachiman Slash / Ares Slash [after the War God's]

ITEM 2 "Double Cut"

Japanese: れんぞくぎり (Renzokugiri)

Translation: Consecutive Cut

To be used as materia name: Consecutive Cut / Serial Strike / Consecutive Strike / Multi Strike /
To be used in menu: 2x-cut

ITEM 3: "4x-cut"

Japanese: みだれうち

Translation: Disordered Strike

To be used: 4x-cut

ITEM 4: "Quadra Magic"

Japanese: まほうみだれうち

Translation: Magic Disordered Strike

To be be used: Quadri Magic / Tetra Magic

ITEM 5: Mysify

Japanese:まどわす

Translation: Bewilder

To be used: Mystify / Bewilder

ITEM 6: "Turtle paradise"

Japanese:「かめ道楽」

Translation: "Turtle Pastime"

To be used: Turtle Paradise

seiferalmasy2
01-16-2010, 07:42 AM
One translator suggests "Hachiman Slash" for omnislash. Hachiman is a Japanese War God. Remember that even if you are not a Japanese speaker, I would appreciate your input :)

Ryushikaze
01-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Turtle Paradise- Turtle Pastime.

2x, 4x, and quadra describe themselves adequately enough as is- that it attacks four times seems more vital than that the attacks hit random people. That can go in the description of the materia itself.

seiferalmasy2
01-16-2010, 08:38 AM
yeah the problem is Turtle Pastime sounds....well...crap. We did consider it but what can you do!

What kind of pub would be called "Turtle Pastime"?

Then again, in the interest of accuracy maybe it has to be used...

It is accuracy vs how well it sounds here really I suppose.

Would you change "Double Cut" materia to "Consecutive Cut" whilst leaving 2x and 4x in the command menu?

Saber
01-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Omni also means all directions.

MJN SEIFER
01-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I remember reading somewhere that "Omni" meant "Everyone is everything"...

Also, isn't Omni suppoed to be an actual God of something? So maybe "Omnislash" is accurate?

What is Godo's "Change" translated as in your version seiferalmasy2? It was Omni-something in the released translation. So maybe that will help?

silentenigma
01-16-2010, 06:50 PM
1) Omni - I always figured it meant the slash was "all-encompassing" since it used so many different strikes in one attack
2) Double Strike ("cut" doesn't make sense for all the characters)
3) Quadruple Strike (Or Quadra if quadruple can't fit)
4) Quadruple Cast
5) I personally like "Muddle" but bewilder is probably better than mystify
6) Paradise is ok but also consider Escape, Delusion, Fantasy, Abandon.

seiferalmasy2
01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Omni is from latin Omnis and simply means "all" that is all it means.

omni- - definition of omni- by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/omni-)

Fynn
01-22-2010, 07:15 PM
I think you should leave Omnislash, simply because it has become a sort of classical name in the series. Having it called otherwise would be a bit awkward.

seiferalmasy2
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Unfortunately, if we left it, that would mean we would have to leave any numbr of other translations. We realised early on that consistency is key...but if there is a lot of opposition I may leave it. It depends, I would much rather stick to a good translation than have to go with something so far away.

anyway on Omnislash>

Omnislash > 超究武神覇斬 > Chōkyūbushinhazan

Bushin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushin)

武神

I think that is actually what they were getting at and not "War God".

So we have 2 choices, take a liberty and call it "Hachiman Slash" after the war god Hachiman

or, call it "Bushin Slash" after the Bushin martial arts.

I think slash can probably be Cleaver, Slice, Cut, Sever, Slayer or a number of other words.

MJN SEIFER
01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Seiferalmasy2, I would liketo ask you, what is Godo's "power" in your translation? The reason I ask, is because in the Sony translation it was "Omni Change" - would what ever you put there have an connection to Omnislash, or was it a coincidence that Sony used "Omni" both times?

seiferalmasy2
01-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Don't worry yourself :P I make sure to check these things first ;)

Omni is correct in that circumstance >

Godo's Pagoda > 五強聖の塔 > Pagoda of the Five Sacred Warriors
[From Ultimania: Together with the water god, it has been passed down that there are also 5 warriors who represent the land and protect Wutai. These are: Gorky as Power, Shake as Speed, Chekov (chekhov) as Magic, Staniv as Military, and Godo (godot) as Whole (Omni). Those who succeed in challenging these five in the Pagoda are able to control the power of the 5 sacred-warriors, and receive the power of the protector beast of wutai- Leviathan]

We had to translate to Pagoda of the Five Sacred Warriors and I think it fits very well. Saints did not work, but we eventually realised the word was "Sacred"

In this case Godo (probably Godot) has the power of "All" or "Whole" in which case Omni is correct (or at least is OK to use, and beats "All change" or "Whole Change")

MJN SEIFER
01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Got it, thanks for answering.

seiferalmasy2
02-06-2010, 02:49 PM
I am now on to the very last thing that needs translating....The chocobo names.

IN the english version, the translation team got a bit lazy and named them things like "GEORGE"

But, it seems it is impossible to name all the Chocobo's to their corrosponding Japanese counterparts (with the exception of Tohofuhai) ...because the Japanese game seems to create the Chocobo names at run time, using a mix of words. [I have looked at the hex values, and there simply isn't enough words to make up the 40 or so names in the English version, plus I have seen mixes of words like "Mister Han" and "Max Han" ]

Can anyone confirm that this is what the Japanese game does?

edit: looking extremely likely that it does.

edit 2: That is what it definately does. So this question is answered.

seiferalmasy2
02-06-2010, 07:54 PM
See first post for translations.

Since some of the translations do not fit properly or are ambigious...I have decided to gauge popular opinion. So Please vote as follows:

1. Omnislash

Choices:
for prefix: Ares, Hachiman [both are War God's]
for suffix: Slash, Slice

2. Double Cut

Choices:
for prefix: Consecutive, Serial, Multi
for suffix: Cut, Strike, Blow, Attack

3. Quadra Magic

Choices: Quadri Magic, Quad Magic, Quadra Magic, Tetra Magic

4. Mystify

Choices: Mystify, Bewilder

5. Turtle Paradise

Choices: Turtle Paradise, Turtle Pastime, Leisure Turtle, Relaxing Turtle, Turtle Relax

My votes are:

1. Hachiman Slash
2. Multi Strike
3. Quadri Magic
4. Bewilder
5. Turtle Paradise

Mirage
02-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Exactly what is wrong with "quadra"?

seiferalmasy2
02-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Quadra isn't actually a prefix or word. Whereas Quadri is :)

quadri- - Wiktionary (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quadri-) But I suppose I can allow it....If that is what people want.

Oh and also, Chocobo naming has finished along with item updates:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/SeiferAlmasy2008/aitkenchoco.png

Because the game is restricted to 6 characters I have had to make my own up also, so I have used 23 words from the Japanese version (because most of them can't really be used, poor names) and 23 made up words, mainly translator names, people who have helped, or sporting heroes.

We will see how this goes, but if it turns out not to be liked, I may allow people to submit names. THe real issue is the 6 character limit, which destroys any chance of getting some good combinations like the Japanese version. "Dark Soul" "Twin Star"

Polar wind is technically "southern polar wind" but that is too long for a name. Antarctic wind is acceptable, but there is no Antarctica on 7, so I opted against it for polar. Antarctic Wind - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Antarctic_Wind)

It has been called "South Wind" on FF games before also.

南極 < South Pole / Antarctica

Mirage
02-08-2010, 04:57 AM
And what exactly is Raijin? Bolt plume or something?

seiferalmasy2
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Swift Bolt > 雷迅 > Raijin

It does literally mean "swift lightning/Thunder" but the combination is also used as a reference to ninja move Raijin (Katon is too).

Final Fantasy VI - Miscellaneous Items (http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/hobgoblin/1026/trans/ff6/miscitem.html)

There is actually still debate about this item, but there are sources to say this combination is used for the ninja move. THis is why I need a few more translators to look through the document and verify things more fully. I think there are a few things that could be dubious but that number is very small, nethertheless things always need to be checked thoroughly :)

edit: actually the more I look into this particular item, the more I question whether it is indeed "Swift Lightning"

I will definately be bringing this up again, and have changed its status to "possibly wrong"

seiferalmasy2
02-09-2010, 03:18 AM
This thread can be locked or deleted as it serves no purpose. I will use the other thread.