PDA

View Full Version : I Need a New Job...

Wolf Kanno
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
This is mostly a rant cause I'm so frustrated with my job and work. I work at a place that most people would think would be a cushy job and technically it really is but corporate and my boss take it so serious that they have transformed it into a working nightmare.

My corporate office has us fill out tons of paperwork which all basically list the same information but then they will chastise us for not filling it out with the correct information cause out computers actually record everything and send them all the information before our written reports even get there... Anyone else see the problem here? Our computers break down constantly and are filled with bugs. Fixing them is a terrible hassle and if a component breaks down, we can't replace them cause our computers are at least 10 years old if not more. It would be easily remedied by purchasing new computers with accessible components but apparently that isn't a good way to spend the companies resources so instead they open new stores in cities I've never heard of in god forsaken places that have probably never even heard of our products.

My boss is exasperated with their silly dogmatic policies and is annoyed that they create horribly unreasonable goals for us to achieve. The problem is they have made her powerless and so in order to feel like she has control she imposes more silly useless rules upon her employees. My boss is crazy... She will literally ask you to do something, then make you stop what she asked you to do, so you can work on something that is "priority" and before you are even done with this "priority" work she yells at you for not finishing the first thing she asked. When you try to explain that she's crazy and you didn't finish it because she made you start on another project she either sheepishly apologizes but then reprimands you for not working fast enough to finish both tasks or she flat out refuses to let you get an explanation in saying "she doesn't want to hear excuses".

Six months into my job I was tasked with doing a new pointless task from corporate. My boss never even did this assignment but it was tasked to happen on a day she had off (though she still had to do a conference call). I was working that morning and had to do it, I wrote down exactly what she told me to do verbatim and completed the task the way she showed me the night before. Turns out she didn't show me how to do it right and so the higher ups reprimanded her for my mistake, she told them it was entirely my fault cause I didn't listen and wrote me up and treated me like an incompetent employee so I couldn't even talk to her bosses to explain what really happened. I took the fall for her and she still treats the incident as my fault (she even later showed me how to do it properly and it was completely different than how she showed me).

She hires new people, loves them for a month and once their newness runs out, she begins to feel like they are the most incompetent employee we ever had. There is another guy I work with and everyone on staff feels he's a great guy and good hard worker (it's even his first job) but my boss finds him annoying and hates him. She constantly tells me how lazy he is and every time I work with him he's actually been nothing but absolutely wonderful. He now only works on days with her cause she feels she needs to be there to make sure he isn't slacking off.

If she gets mad at you, she cuts your hours. I've been burning through school loan money cause I can't get enough hours at work to make enough to pay for my monthly bills. A few weeks ago, I received another write up cause I spend too much time (when we're dead on a weekday) making displays look good and apparently I spend too much time helping single customers when I should be quickly disengaging to help more... So apparently I'm getting written up for avoiding doing my job by... doing my job? Anything I work on, she tells me it looks great but then after I leave she completely redoes it cause it "wasn't working for her". If you actually take the initiative and do your work efficiently without her having to tell you, she finds a way to make your decision wrong. I once restocked the store but my boss decided that the items I restocked it with "never sell" which is why she had them in the backroom, so she removes all of it and tells me to never stock without asking her if its ok in case she's holding stuff in the back for specific reasons. A week later (we never got a new shipment in) she yells at the staff for never stocking. She tells us to call her if we have a question or want to do something we're not sure she'll be happy with but then she gets annoyed when you actually call her.

This is what a lot of my problems is, she has placed us in a "damn if you do damn if you don't" situation and its never her fault. I either get yelled at for not asking her opinion on things and just doing my job but then I also get yelled at for not taking the initiative enough cause frankly whenever I do its not up to her expectations despite the only right answer was to do nothing.

This past week, she has really pissed off most of the staff. She bought a security camera, initially to watch for theft (which we don't get much of) but later she told me and a few other employees she did it so she could make sure we're all doing our jobs when she's not working. She told me this to my face with smile a saying "Big Mama is watching". My only form of enjoyment with this job is being able to not work with her and finally do everything at my pace instead of her but now I have pretend like we actually have stuff to do despite our store being dead for weeks. I can't even have conversations anymore cause the camera records audio and heaven forbid co-workers talk while they work, even though its fine when she does it.

I've been looking for a new job for over a year but places are still not hiring. Its gotten so bad at this job that I've been seriously thinking about sucking up my pride and begging my old boss to give me my old job back. I was royally pissed with my old management but I quit that job for less than what I've been going through now and regretfully I was unemployed for almost a year between that job and my current one and I eneded up getting into some serious debt cause of it. So I can't just quit my current job until I can get a new one cause I don't want to repeat that mistake. Anyway, I just seriously needed to rant about this cause its been bugging me for ages and well this new development has really made the job unbearable.

NeoCracker
01-19-2010, 08:24 PM
I know all to well what you mean.

I am guaranteed to work any day Corprate shows up at my work. If they know Corporate is coming, I will in fact be scheduled, because while I may not be the best employee, I do my job well, and can work stress-free even when they show up.

Yet I have that one manager who never stops bitching about what it is I do. I do exactly what he says and things go wrong, and he defaults to assuming I wasn't doing what he said.

I completely ignore him and things go smoothly, he still bitches I wasn't doing what he said. And then I start listening to him, things start going wrong. I can only take solace in the fact they've stopped scheduling me with him so much.

And as for Corprate? I am convinced they are paid specifically to make our jobs as annoying as they possibly can.

AntRid
01-19-2010, 10:31 PM
It sucks to be in this situation and there isn’t a whole lot you can do other then write to her superior. You can also tell her to stuff it. It won’t help the situation but it will make you feel a bit better.
Just keep looking out for other jobs.

Captain Maxx Power
01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
Welcome to life in the West; working a job you hate to get money that doesn't mean anything to buy stuff you don't need, a family you don't want and a retirement you won't enjoy. Yay capitalism!

Renmiri
01-20-2010, 03:11 AM
She sounds petty and neurotic. It definitely is not a "cushy job" to be bossed around by an abusive person like her. Endure it if you must, but never forget she might have power over you now, but she won't have it forever. And it's not you that is wrong, it's her.

Croyles
01-20-2010, 03:38 AM
I had a boss exactly like that, she would also tell me to stop what i was doing halfway, tell me to do something else and then later shout at me for not finishing the first thing.
I feel you buddy.

Shlup
01-20-2010, 03:43 AM
Job hunting sucks. I've been unemployed for... uhh... many months. I hated my last job and had to go through similar horrible crap, plus deal with several dozen :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty tweens being dickheads at me. Still I would rather go back to that job than continue to be unemployed.

We are supposed to be in our prime, but those a decade or two or four older than us fucked us over and now we're stuck fighting for scraps in this :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty economy. ARGH!

Raistlin
01-20-2010, 04:19 AM
I hate office politics, with a fiery passion. I've been able to avoid crappy bosses and politics for the most part at my previous jobs because, and I know this will come as a shock to most of you, I tend to get along with people easily. Though last summer, thankfully on my last day, there was some drama that I just tried to succinctly summarize but it ended up an incomprehensible ramble so I deleted it. Anyway, the upshot is that I was fortunate everyone at corporate knew and loved me, and my immediate boss apparently almost came to fisticuffs with an awful coworker's boss (admittedly only over the phone). I was laughing about it the next day, though mostly because I hopefully won't ever have to go back there.

Good luck with your situation. Hopefully you can find a better job with a less horrible boss.

rubah
01-20-2010, 04:21 AM
know this will come as a shock to most of you, I tend to get along with people easily.

Most people don't have to suppress the memory of you in a homemade final fantasy bikini, either.

Raistlin
01-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Yes, they are so unfortunate. http://www.thegamersalliance.net/forums/images/smilies/pimp.gif

rubah
01-20-2010, 04:48 AM
need more kindlin' for that burn, eh?

Wolf Kanno
01-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Well the good news is that I'm checking into seeing if I can get my old job back but at least my old work place is happy to see me and even the manager I told I quit to seemed like he wanted me to be back. The problem is whether they have any positions available but at least knowing I still have contacts with the place will make job hunting a bit easier.

Rye
01-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Office politics and :bou::bou::bou::bou: sucks, I feel you. My boss is a nice woman, but she can be bitchy and throw you under the bus, as can everyone else in the office since they're bored and get mad easily.

I'm lucky because even though I'm not the youngest employee, everyone seems to think I'm really cute and nice, and since my job tends to be looking out for everyone's mistakes, and I'm pretty good at it, they like that I save their butts. So no one ever really bothers me, and instead showers me in food and coffee and treats.

One lady bothers me though. She's a total creep! In a way that is hard to explain without knowing what my job consists of entirely, she tries to lie and manipulate me into releasing her orders earlier than everyone else's and she whines at me forever if I don't do it. She's so creepy, she scares me.

Overall, my job is pretty nice, but I don't like sitting down for 8 hours a day basically looking at orders all day and putting a 1 or 2 next to them, all summer. It was improved by my listening to audiobooks every day, though. If I do that, turn off my conscious brain, and try to put the "check orders!" part of my brain into drive, an half hour can literally go by without memory of it passing sometimes.

I want to try to look for another one, or another position within the company, but the security of my job and fact that I get to work there pretty much at any hours of my choosing during college is a plus for me. The fact that my boss won't give me a raise, just busts my balls though. $10/hr sucks...

black orb
01-21-2010, 05:57 PM
>>> That sucks Wolf Kanno, thanks god I have never had a job/boss..:luca:

Peegee
01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Welcome to life in the West; working a job you hate to get money that doesn't mean anything to buy stuff you don't need, a family you don't want and a retirement you won't enjoy. Yay capitalism!

lol, well said.

My mother offered a counter-reason: we do this because the alternative would result in less benefits. We may lose 10-12 hours out of a day due to our jobs but in exchange we have um...distractions.

Nihilism is not conductive to this but whatever.

Rodarian
01-22-2010, 01:35 PM
You have my sincerest sympathies.. I went through that crap a few years back.. Summary politics didn't give me a promotion I deserved..

I'm planning to be my own boss soon enough..Its a headache in its own right cause I've interned and worked with a couple of designers but I'll also learn on how to better handle my employees..

If going back to an old job is way to go, then by all means, do it...Touching base with a former employment is a good way to move ahead....

Oh you can also conveniently get rid of your boss if you'd like that! :penciltrick:

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
I know how you feel, though my boss is probably less neurotic than yours, he's still a dick at times. If anything goes wrong, it is NEVER his fault. Somehow the blame magically lies on someone else. One time we changed how we did a plate but no one told me, so he starts growling at me, saying that I was there when he told everyone. When I asked him what day that was it turned out to be my day off. I could go on, but to summarize: he has :bou::bou::bou::bou: poor communication skills. :/

Oh, and he likes hiring girls who he will get along with at first and like then after a month or two start not liking so much to eventually causing them to quit or fire/lay them off. Happened twice. For the most part I suspect it was because neither of them would sleep with him.

Thankfully my job is pretty secure, though I get paid way less than I should. I am well liked and been working there since it opened.

Mercen-X
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Just this morning, my mom ranted on about how my dad had walked a mile and a half down to a railstation to work as a dishwasher in Orinda (or however you spell the name of that city), and would take the same route back home late at night, night after night. She wants me to get a job, but I've somehow convinced myself that no one wants to hire me.