PDA

View Full Version : Hands on keyboards

Jiro
01-20-2010, 02:55 PM
I was talking to a friend recently, and somehow we started discussing our resting position on the key board.

For my left hand:
Pinky - Left Shift
Ring - Left Shift
Middle - S Key
Index - R Key
Thumb - Edge of the keyboard, below the Spacebar

For my right hand:
Pinky - Backspace/Enter
Ring - P Key
Middle - O Key
Index - J Key
Thumb - Spacebar

So go for it. Where do your fingers rest on the keyboard?

Timekeeper
01-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Oh god, you're more insane than I thought.
I use the conventional resting places for touch typing.

It hurts my hands just to try and think about aligning my fingers that way!

Momiji
01-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Anywhere, as I've never used a 'proper' typing method. My index fingers pretty much do everything when I type, aside from Space, Backspace, and Shift.

G13
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
I rest my hands in my lap. I hunt-and-peck but I use all my fingers to do it. I hated it when teachers told me the proper way of typing. Screw home row man! As long as I get the job done.

Raistlin
01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
For my left hand:
Pinky - Left Shift
Ring - Left Shift
Middle - S Key
Index - R Key
Thumb - Edge of the keyboard, below the Spacebar

For my right hand:
Pinky - Backspace/Enter
Ring - P Key
Middle - O Key
Index - J Key
Thumb - Spacebar

You either have a crazy keyboard or alien fingers.

I rest my fingers on the traditional home row, though I don't touch-type in the traditional manner (my index and middle fingers are used more).

Jiro
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
My hands are actually spiders.

rubah
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
home row

Jowy
01-20-2010, 05:43 PM
WASD, pinky on shift, thumb on space. Right hand on mouse

Rantz
01-20-2010, 06:34 PM
The most common for me is the touch typing resting position, except for some reason I often keep my left hand shifted one step left (pinky on left shift) and my right hand shifted one step right. If not that then old habits often make me do this:

WASD, pinky on shift, thumb on space. Right hand on mouse

Levian
01-20-2010, 07:45 PM
As long as there is breath in my little body and threads that needs closing, there will be no such thing as rest when I'm connected to the internet.

Bunny
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I kinda just smash my fingers onto the keyboard and hope I hit the right keys. Resting places are for fools.

Aurey
01-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I type with my index fingers only, I can't do the all the right type resting place :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Jiro you must have massive contortionist fingers or you're a magician. ;o

Agent Proto
01-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Ah, hands on the keyboard. I usually have my left hand on the correct keys, being a, s, d,f, and g. My right hand however, is usually left off and free to roam. I feel comfortable this way for some reason. ;P

qwertysaur
01-20-2010, 09:37 PM
wherever then land, they kind of go wherever they are needed.I keep my wrists reletivly stationary though, and use my long fingers to hit the keys and type that way. I never really thought about it before actually :p

AntRid
01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Normal touch method apart from my left pinky that rests on the Shift in case I want to go mad with caps!!!!

rubah
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM
I was about to say 'I almost never use left shift' but then as soon as I typed the "I" I realized what a liar I am.

I then thought "maybe it was right shift" and then I typed some double-quotes and realized I am SUCH A FIBBER JUST KIDDING GUYS.

Shlup
01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
My hands hover vaguely over the home row, though my ring and pinky fingers don't get all that much use.

qwertysaur
01-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I use right shift for "I" :p. Also for :

NorthernChaosGod
01-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Home row FTW.

Although my right pinky does less work then it should.

I Took the Red Pill
01-21-2010, 12:18 AM
ASDF JKL;

thumbs are lounging about doing doing whatever the fuck they feel like, til spaces become necessary, then ol' lefty does the trick

AntRid
01-21-2010, 12:29 AM
thumbs are lounging about doing doing whatever the smurf they feel like, til spaces become necessary, then ol' lefty does the trick

The thumbs get it too easy in the typing arrangement; they are like the renegades of all the digits until you get to a game controller then they get a proper workout.

Psychotic
01-21-2010, 12:40 AM
dalp

That is what I get when I push down on the keys. Shift and space are also involved.

NorthernChaosGod
01-21-2010, 04:43 AM
thumbs are lounging about doing doing whatever the smurf they feel like, til spaces become necessary, then ol' lefty does the trick

The thumbs get it too easy in the typing arrangement; they are like the renegades of all the digits until you get to a game controller then they get a proper workout.

The space bar is probably the most used key though.

AntRid
01-21-2010, 05:19 AM
If you’re a gamer then "W" would probably be the most used. For everything else probably space followed by Enter maybe?

G13
01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
You guys use shift for capitalizing? Am I the only one who uses caps lock?

Jiro
01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
You're not the only one, but I doubt they're brave enough to admit it :p

Rase
01-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Screw home rows. My hands wander and henpeck their way around the keyboard. The only fingers I really use are my index and middle on both hands, my ring fingers for Shift and the odd key.

~*~Celes~*~
01-21-2010, 03:57 PM

I DO IT TOO AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT

My hands rest in the home row area, but I use caps lock, not shift :p

G13
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
You're not the only one, but I doubt they're brave enough to admit it :p

I DO IT TOO AND I AM NOT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT

JOIN US FELLOW WEIRDIE'S OF EOFF! :wacky:

blackmage_nuke
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Ive never thought about it and now that Im thinking about it i dont think im doing it how I normally would, I think usually my hand sort of hovers above the keyboard as the distance from the keyboard to my body is rather far I rest from my wrist to my elbow flat on the desk. Sometimes when I cant think of what to type I tap lightly on the keys Q W and E repeatedly in succession with my left ring, middle and index finger respectively and [ P and O with my right ring, middle and index finger respectively.

Edit: I tap these keys in a rhythm of
tap tap tap, tap tap tap, tap tap tap
where there is a gap between every 3 taps and each tap or gap is 1 beat at a rate of approx 800 beats per minute

However on my laptop the keys dont require as much downward force, my wrist is propped up to be at the exact height of the keyboard while my elbows are still on the desk and i seem to rest my fingers as:
Left:
pinky: Left shift
Ring: A
Middle: W
Index: D

Right:
Pinky: '
Ring: P
Middle: O
Index: K

WIth both thumbs hovering above the Spacebar

Raistlin
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM

No, there are a surprising number of mentally challenged people who do the same.

NorthernChaosGod
01-21-2010, 11:21 PM
If you’re a gamer then "W" would probably be the most used. For everything else probably space followed by Enter maybe?
I suppose, but for the average user.

No, there are a surprising number of mentally challenged people who do the same.
Lol

G13
01-22-2010, 04:08 AM

So like 5?

~*~Celes~*~
01-22-2010, 08:00 AM

:expee::expee::expee:

NorthernChaosGod
01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Why in God's name would you use caps lock over shift? =\

krissy
01-22-2010, 08:42 AM
TO BE READY TO REPLY TO POSTS LIKE THE ONE ABOVE

blackmage_nuke
01-22-2010, 10:12 AM
One day I'd like to meet someone who capitalises properly but has caps lock on permanently and holds shift all the time for lower case letters and lets go for upper case letters.

Jiro
01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
That would be fantastic

Lawr
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
If I'm not Photoshopping, playing any emulators, or am not typing, then my left hand is either in my lap, in my pants (that's where it sleeps), holding my phone, or touching my face. Or a combination of any of those four!

edit
I've also picked up the habit of reflexively pressing Caps Lock when I'm done typing. And then turning it off when I want to continue.

*presses Caps Lock*

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
When I first used to type, especially in those classes that forced us to learn the proper way I would always just type with my index fingers. Strangely enough, they have no managed to find the "Home" position, though my left pinky is usually on left shift when I relax but I think that is more to do with less hand room than anything else (messy desk).

G13
01-22-2010, 10:35 PM

'CAUSE THAT'S HOW THEY TEACH YOU IN THE FIRST GRADE. I DIDN'T START USING COMPUTERS 'TIL HIGH SCHOOL SO I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HALF THE KEYS WERE FOR.

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW I TYPE, AS LONG AS IT GETS THE JOB DONE. STOP TRYING TO CHANGE ME ASSHOLES!

Made especially for you with caps lock. Enjoy. :smug:

qwertysaur
01-22-2010, 10:44 PM
One day I'd like to meet someone who capitalises properly but has caps lock on permanently and holds shift all the time for lower case letters and lets go for upper case letters.
You mean like I did so for this post? It is really annoying to hold down one of the shift keys but after a while you get used to it and it"s no big deal. :p All together you would have to be crazy to type like this normally or have long fingers like I do. Why do I keep typing like this I have no idea make me stop someone it is getting so annoying :/

blackmage_nuke
01-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I made that post typeing this way too, this post as well -_-

It only gets really annoying when certain punctuation marks don't "upper case" with the caps lock

qwertysaur
01-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Why are we so crazy blackmage_nuke? :p

Croyles
01-23-2010, 04:29 AM
asdf jklö

Jiro
01-23-2010, 08:10 AM
I expected you people to type very strangely. I am somewhat disappointed :(

NorthernChaosGod
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
TO BE READY TO REPLY TO POSTS LIKE THE ONE ABOVE

'CAUSE THAT'S HOW THEY TEACH YOU IN THE FIRST GRADE. I DIDN'T START USING COMPUTERS 'TIL HIGH SCHOOL SO I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HALF THE KEYS WERE FOR.

IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW I TYPE, AS LONG AS IT GETS THE JOB DONE. STOP TRYING TO CHANGE ME ASSHOLES!

Made especially for you with caps lock. Enjoy. :smug:

I fully expected both of those.

Trolled. :tongue:

KuRt
01-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Playing too much fps games has altered me. Nowadays I always have my right hand on my mouse and for the left hand i go with:
pinky: left shift
ring: A
middle: W
index: D or R
thumb: Spacebar.

altho when I start writing my right hand goes to:
pinky: Ä (right on the southeast of P)
ring: P
middle: O
Index: J
thumb: under spacebar.

BardTard
01-24-2010, 07:44 PM
I just use whatever finger happens to be closest to the key that I need at that time. I don't hunt and peck but I can type without looking so I kinda type a little bit the right way and the wrong way. It takes too long for me to think about where everything is if I just let them rest on the homerow keys :( But I'm a pretty fast typer!