PDA

View Full Version : Martial Arts!

KentaRawr!
01-21-2010, 02:28 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAH!

Do you enjoy martial arts?

qwertysaur
01-21-2010, 02:32 AM
Right now looking for something new. I've done half the first long form of Yang style Tai chi Chuan and I am also a second degree Black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Had to stop both because of time constraints and I like trying out new styles. :p

KentaRawr!
01-21-2010, 02:33 AM
Right now looking for something new. I've done half the first long form of Yang style Tai chi Chuan and I am also a second degree Black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Had to stop both because of time constraints and I like trying out new styles. :p

Very cool! Right now, I'm a bit of a beginner in both Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Gracie Style) and a Karate class in the same gym, of which I am a yellow belt in.

Raistlin
01-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Many years ago when I lived in Colorado I took some classes, but then we moved and I never got around to picking it back up.

RedPouch
01-21-2010, 04:01 AM
I used to once upon a time, but I haven't for a long while now. I miss it and actually want to get back into it, but my financial situation isn't really forgiving enough for me to do that right now.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Tavrobel
01-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Yes. I don't particularly adhere to one style, seeing as how my instruction was based on "if it works, then you use it; screw the rest." All that means is that I'm a mixed martial artist, and I must be damn good at it, if I make a living out of teaching it. The styles under my belt (hahhaah, get it, belt?) are Gracie/Brazilian Jiujitsu, Muay Thai, Kung Fu, and Judo.

NorthernChaosGod
01-21-2010, 04:35 AM
Took Tae Kwon Do and boxing classes for some years in my youth, I'm probably going to get into Muay Thai and Krav Maga later on when I have some more money and time.

Mirage
01-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I did ju jitsu for like 5 months in 2005. I liked it a lot, but now I'm going to start at Kyukushinkai karate like the coming monday because some friends of mine do. Looking forwards to it!

Jiro
01-21-2010, 08:17 AM
I went to a karate lesson with a friend when I was about 8 or 9. I don't remember much of it at all. I would like to learn a martial art but really I don't have time. So my fighting style is just run the fuck away from danger.

Mirage
01-21-2010, 08:33 AM
but that's not cool!

Rye
01-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Sexy no jutsu. :|

Madame Adequate
01-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind
If you wanna test me
I'm sure you'll find
The things I'll teach ya
Is sure to beat ya
Nevertheless you'll get
A lesson from teacher now
KICK

http://www.freewebs.com/mmxcalibur/Chop%20Chop%20Master%20Onion.jpg

Jiro
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
but that's not cool!

If push comes to shove, and I can't run away, then I've got my own mixed fighting style full of moves stolen from a variety of sources. Mostly fighting games. You can actually learn a lot from those things.

blackmage_nuke
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
I use to do it a long time ago, got to blue belt, cant remember the style though.

I enjoy martial arts movies but dont really like watching realistic martial arts, just the fancy Jackie Chan stuff.

but that's not cool!

If push comes to shove, and I can't run away, then I've got my own mixed fighting style full of moves stolen from a variety of sources. Mostly fighting games. You can actually learn a lot from those things.

Down Quater-Circle-Foward Punch

Badge
01-21-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm currently 2nd degree black belt in KMA (Korean Martial Arts) a freestyle art derived from CKD and kickboxing. I've been doing martial arts for 7 years :)

Fynn
01-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Training judo as my physical education courses at university. I might not be the best at it, but it's great fun ! :D Though sometimes my limbs hurt. :(

KentaRawr!
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Training judo as my physical education courses at university. I might not be the best at it, but it's great fun ! :D Though sometimes my limbs hurt. :(

Mine do, too. But eventually, they won't!

I'm really curious about Judo. I've heard that Jiu-Jitsu and Judo go very, very well together.

Mirage
01-21-2010, 04:36 PM
I've heard that judo is ju-jitsu for sissies ;p.

*Laurelindo*
01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
I tried Jû-jutsu a year ago, but I stopped because I felt I couldn't afford it; I was unemployed back then and driving up to that dôjô two-three times a week (about 50 miles a day) AND paying the membership fee was too much, I was poor enough as it was. :p

Now I study at college in another city, so I might start practising there when I've got an apartment there.

Mercen-X
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Very cool! Right now, I'm a bit of a beginner in both Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Gracie Style) and a Karate class in the same gym, of which I am a yellow belt in.

I've only heard of Gracie Style while playing Chulip. (lol)

I've been taught some of what my dad learned (though I can't remember the style he was taught) which was combined with what he learned from kickboxing. I took a Shotokan Karate class for a year and then College Aikido for two years. I wanted to take Tai Kwan Do, but I can't take late night classes.

I mostly practice Riti Kyu Lusu-style martial arts
"if it works, then you use it; screw the rest." which basically means I try to come up with my own style and attacks which incorporate movements I've seen in real fights and fictional battles. Naturally, I can't jump 12 feet up in the air (hell, I can't quite reach 3 feet), and I can't perform a triple backflip, but there are a lot of things I'm capable of, I just try to focus on the stuff that doesn't make me stumble about like an idiot.

Quindiana Jones
01-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Haha you heard so wrong. I did BJJ and MMA before I had to go to uni (looking into starting again now I'm here), and my teacher got the majority of his injuries from judo. It's absolutely brutal.

BarelySeeAtAll
01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I did - and enjoyed - karate once, when I just hit puberty and that. Little did I know it was "because of my age" lol, makes sense I guess. I had to quit because we moved down country. Not too long ago I tried the martial arts my next door neighbour teaches.. >_< made an utter fool of myself cos I hadn't done exercise for ages. Put it this way .. the word "karate" is banned in there XD all about offense, which is good but I was knackered

Peegee
01-21-2010, 06:04 PM
I know how to do karate but karate didn't teach me how to fight. That's what I think about martial arts in a nut-shell.

Tavrobel
01-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Whoever told you that is a righteous idiot. Both styles have different philosophies, even if they might come from the same source. Judo is more throws, Jiujitsu is largely disarmament, and Brazilian/Gracie Jiujitsu is ground fighting and grappling. Any style can be extremely painful if you were taught properly and train often enough so that you are comfortable using the techniques.

Like Quin said, you heard so wrong.

Fujiko
01-21-2010, 07:35 PM
I know how to do karate but karate didn't teach me how to fight.

As a karateka for years under the instruction of techniques of Goju-ryu karatedo, I find your statement strange (and untrue when it comes to karate not teaching you how to fight). But you specifically said it didn't teach you, so I'm guessing you yourself never got very far in practice and knowledge when you were training karate? Correct me if I'm wrong about the 'not getting very far', but that only seems likely based on your statement.

Karate is defence, yes, but it is pure fighting mostly in the presence of defence. I can get close to you and take you down to the ground so fast you won't even know what hit you until you're lying on it - this move would initially be for defence; meaning, usually and primarily, you'd have to make the first move in attacking me for me to make the specific move I'm talking about. I can use kata on you without you moving a muscle toward me, and take you down (brutally, if I choose to), or break one of your limbs - this also would initially be for defence, or better yet for technique perfection in practice with another student. But I can use them to attack if I choose to (and know how to).

And yes, there are different kinds of karate arts, such as for instance Shotokan, and karate literally is about defence, but all karate arts teach you how to fight. All of them. You just need to know how, and that will only come to you the more you learn and the more you practice and understand.

Karate is a great fighting style, only because defence is the key word when doing the fighting itself.

Banzai! ;)

Tavrobel
01-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I know how to do karate but karate didn't teach me how to fight.

And yes, there are different kinds of karate arts, such as for instance Shotokan, and karate literally is about defence, but all karate arts teach you how to fight. All of them. You just need to know how, and that will only come to you the more you learn and the more you practice and understand.

It's also possible that what he means is that while he learned "what to do in X situation," he did not learn any of the practical philosophy behind his particular style. It's possible that he could kick, do it over and over, and eventually kick through a wall, but that doesn't mean that if he were given such a real life situation, that it would help him in any way. He could be taught what to do in a fight, but not how to fight. "What to do" could mean knowledge; "how to do" could mean wisdom.

It is also possible that he learned the techniques, but not the discipline to use it. Just because you can fight doesn't mean that you should. It's not unreasonable that whoever he learned from was unconcerned with such ideas. Yes, you can master one style, and it helps you learn others, but that does not mean that he has trained properly to use them. In this way, it could be a failure of understanding (or instruction).

Or he already knew what to do in a fight, and that karate didn't help to build on his knowledge.

rubah
01-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I had three tae-kwon-do lessons when I was very young. I still remember two of them!

My dad has been an akkido buff for years, and so I've picked up some of those techniques from him, although I couldn't put a name to them.

NorthernChaosGod
01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
New idea, which one is the best??

Depression Moon
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM
I wanted to take classes myself, but I don't have any money for that. I have a cousin though that's a master in Capoeira. She's basically Christie Montiero.

Meat Puppet
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
I mostly just attack people who don’t expect to be attacked by me, and usually attack them from behind. I am also a master of kicking them while they’re down.
And the curb-stomp.

Tavrobel
01-22-2010, 01:56 AM
New idea, which one is the best??

...the curb-stomp.

Peegee
01-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Karate teaches you how to do Karate. It has very limited applications to fighting, or alternately, it's not very effective when compared to other martial arts. That's why karateka were brutally crushed in the UFC

What I meant with that remark is that despite taking Karate all the way up to where I could've gone for my black belt (but didn't -- university was more important), all I did with karate was spar with other karateka. I learned how to defend against karate strikes, but didn't learn how to fight.

krissy
01-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Karate? The Dane Cook of martial arts? No, ISIS agents use Krav Maga.