PDA

View Full Version : FFII Mini-Tournament - Finals

Del Murder
01-15-2010, 07:33 AM
The temporary characters are one of the things that makes FFII unique and fun. Their individual stories are pretty well developed, especially when considering how long ago this game was created.

Of the six temporary characters you get in this game, which did you like the best? You can choose any way you like; usefulness, backstory, personality, etc. Vote for up to 4 in the poll. The top four will face off in a mini-tournament to crown the champion.

The results of this tournament will be used in an event later so choose wisely!

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Josef is my main choice, he taught me how smurfing overpowered (and cheap) bare handed was and he had one of the more interesting stories and tragic deaths in the series, the fact that IX gave him a very specific shout out was also amazing. :cool:

I feel characters like Yang and Galuf are definetly based off this badass. My other choices included Leon (though I don't really think of him as a temp character but will for the tournament) Ricard (gotta love Dragoons), and Minwu (The Moonlight Knight (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Moonlightknight.jpg) :love: ).

RedPouch
01-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Minwu, Ricard, Josef, and Leon. I absolutely detested Leila because she was a stupid useless bitch that cowardly switches to your side instantly after you knock the canunda out of her, despite the fact that she had JUST tried to rob and kill your party [which she failed miserably at]. I thought the entire ordeal was ridiculous. This is aside from the fact that she seems to be the one temp member that consistently pulled out 0's on nearly all enemies we encountered, and I'm not going to take a lot of time just to skill up a temp character.

the fact that IX gave him a very specific shout out was also amazing. :cool:
It's been a while since I played FF IX. Could you refresh my memory on what you mean?

Wolf Kanno
01-15-2010, 11:37 PM
In order to prove your worth to Ramuh in IX, he has you collect fragments of a story. The story is actually about the entire ordeal of Josef in FFII. ;)

Del Murder
01-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Yeah that part was awesome. The story of FFII was pretty good in general, actually. I wish the awful level up system didn't detract so much from it, but that's a topic for another thread...

RedPouch
01-16-2010, 01:05 AM
In order to prove your worth to Ramuh in IX, he has you collect fragments of a story. The story is actually about the entire ordeal of Josef in FFII. ;)
Oh I see, that would explain why then. When I first played FF IX, I hadn't played FF II yet.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[!]Session data[/!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Vermachtnis
01-16-2010, 01:22 AM
Leila was the only one I really liked.

Del Murder
01-18-2010, 04:22 AM
Here are the first round results:

Minwu - 4
Josef - 4
Gordon - 0
Leila - 3
Ricard - 4
Leon - 2

These four will now face off in one-on one battles to determine the champion.

1. Josef vs. 4. Leila
2. Minwu vs. 3. Ricard

The seeding was pretty random but it shouldn't matter much in a four person tourney. Please vote!

Wolf Kanno
01-18-2010, 05:20 AM
The first pairing is a no brainer. The second was a lot more difficult. :(

RedPouch
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Aw, damn. I accidentally clicked on Ricard when I meant to click Minwu. Is there a way to change that?

Anyways, Ricard is really awesome, but so is Minwu. It's a tough choice. I think I lean more towards my liking to Minwu because you have a lot more interaction with him, and he gets more depth so you appreciate him more.

I agree on the first one being a no-brainer. For the reasons of her being a poorly written joke of a character and a useless bitch, I hope she gets sent to some awful hell dimension.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[!]Session data[/!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Del Murder
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
I adjusted your vote, Khalin.

Del Murder
01-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Here are the final four results:

1. Josef - 4
4. Leila - 1

2. Minwu - 3
3. Ricard - 2

Now on to the final matchup!

1. Josef vs. 2. Minwu

Seems like an obvious conclusion but we shall see.

Vermachtnis
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Minwu, was way useful when he joins.

Wolf Kanno
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Josef saved me money by showing how broken and cheap bare handed fighting is. Minwu would suck up all my money thanks in part to learning too late that FFII has a weird recovery system for its inns. :colbert:

RedPouch
01-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Josef saved me money by showing how broken and cheap bare handed fighting is. Minwu would suck up all my money thanks in part to learning too late that FFII has a weird recovery system for its inns. :colbert:
I realized how overpowered bare-fisted fighting is, but doesn't it lose its usefulness late-game? I might just be imagining things, but it seems a bit unfair to those that are partial to martial artist characters for fun.

Roogle
01-23-2010, 10:47 PM
I thought Minwu had a very good character design that brings some well-needed positive attention to Arabesque designs in general; I thought Josef was simply another strongman gameplay wise, although, I do like him as a character, too.

Del Murder
01-26-2010, 03:26 AM
This party is over! Here are the final results:

1. Josef - 2
2. Minwu - 6
The incredible power of barehanded fighting gave Josef extreme confidence. He had rolled through his other opponents and expected to roll through this one. His overconfidence proved his destruction. The master mage Minwu knew his opponent's strength and so spent 4 hours before the battle repeatedly selecting and canceling his spells. He also had his party members attack him in battle to build his defense. Josef's attacks did 0 damage and Minwu's spells quickly took him down.

Minwu will receive a high seed in the upcoming FF Character Tournament for his win.

Jiro
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
This is aside from the fact that she seems to be the one temp member that consistently pulled out 0's on nearly all enemies we encountered, and I'm not going to take a lot of time just to skill up a temp character.

Did you miss that she was left-handed? Her attacks are significantly weaker if she's fighting right handed.

Anyway, if I wasn't so slack I would've voted for Minwu. He's just so awesome. But I'm glad Josef was up there, because his death is quite tragic.