PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Recommandations.

Kuroshima
01-22-2010, 04:40 AM
I got a PS3 for christmas, and I was wondering if any of you fellow gamers can recommend some games for me? I am not a picky gamer, and will really play any genre of game, but my favorite type is RPG so if anyone knows any real good rpgs for the ps3, please tell me. :)

I currently own, Call of Duty: Moder Warfare 2, God Of War: Collections, Rainbow Six Vegas 2, and Assassin's Creed.

Thanks To All Who Post. :)

Shoeberto
01-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Resistance: Fall of Man
Little Big Planet
Metal Gear Solid 4

Those are probably my favorites that I own on the system. They're all pretty great.

VeloZer0
01-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Disgaea 3 (I don't know if there is a demo on PSN)
Valkyria Chronicles (There is a demo on PSN)
Obviously Little Big Planet and MGS4 are a must have. (Though I can't say I'm a huge MGS fan)
I've never played Uncharted 1 & 2, though I hear they are the best the PS3 has to offer.

You should just go to the Playstation store and start downloading demos like mad. Thats what I love about the PS3 is I don't have to pay for online services (as I usually never game online), but I can still access a ton of demos. I download just about everything that appears in the store, even if I know I will probably never buy it.

EDIT: Do you have a 360? I've only mentioned exclusives here.

Yeargdribble
01-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Flower on PSN. Seriously... get it.

Most of my other suggestions would either be obvious (already mentioned) or personal taste. Demon's Souls is great, but certainly not for everyone.

Markus. D
01-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Disgaea 3!!!!!!!!
Flower is also fantastic, though a short game.
Valkyria Chronicles, etcetcetc.

Mirage
01-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Tekken 6, yo.

Rocket Edge
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Yeah Tekken 6. I was a little edgy about it when I first got it but I now realise how fantastic it is. The great thing about games like this is you can keep on coming back for more and more.

I would also recommend the Uncharted games. They are up there with the very best the console has to offer.

Little Big Planet was a waste of money, but maybe thats just me.

Depression Moon
01-22-2010, 01:32 PM
It's just you. I also recommend Tekken 6 AND LBP. I haven't played any RPGs on the system though. The Orange box is probably the best value out there. It's 5 games in one.

Madame Adequate
01-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Christ no, if you get Orange Box you have to get it on the PC. I do hear good things about Valkyria Chronicles (When I do get a PS3, this will be one of my first purchases).

I Don't Need A Name
01-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Can't recommend Valkyria enough. It's awesome. Shame the sequel is on bloody PSP. Eternal Sonata isn't a bad game in terms of a Next Gen RPG.
LBP does look like a complete waste of time and money imo xD

Flying Arrow
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I'm going to be picking up a PS3 in the coming weeks myself, so I'm in the same boat as you (topic creator). It'll actually be the first current gen. console I own, so I'm looking forward to seeing my grades and social life crumble because of Oblivion. If you're into any genre and will play anything, Oblivion or Fallout 3 will probably be the longest bang for your buck (I'm on a limited budget game-wise, so that's my mindset going into any game purchase).

LBP is a lot of fun, but I can't be sure if it's just the novelty of it because I've only had limited time with the thing. I guess your mileage will vary depending on how into trying out user content and building your own levels you are.

JKTrix
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
With little to no commentary, and leaving prior recommendations alone:
Burnout Paradise
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Hot Shots Golf
Demon's Souls
Get Yakuza 3 when it comes out in March

I'll leave folks like Dreddz to tell you about the downloadable games

Levian
01-22-2010, 03:21 PM

We're at least two. :p It's an OK game, got boring quick. Definitely not a fantastic game.

Resident Evil 5
Silent Hill 5

:)

edit: I just played three hours of Little Big Planet multiplayer. Decided to give it a second chance :p It's really not that bad in multiplayer! I suppose any game is great in multiplayer. Single player gets boring quick though.

Slothy
01-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Christ no, if you get Orange Box you have to get it on the PC.

This pretty much. To my knowledge the updates to TF2 haven't even come out for the 360, and probably never will for the PS3, and there's not really any point in getting the game on a platform where you won't get access to the eight class updates and new maps and game modes.

I'll agree with everyone's recommendation of Valkyria Chronicles though, and without repeating anything that's already been said, I'll toss in Killzone 2, the Ratchet and Clank games, and Warhawk since it's going pretty cheap these days. For multiplatform stuff I have to recommend Blazblue: Calamity Trigger, Street Fighter IV, and Dead Space.

As far as downloadable titles, look into Braid, Fat Princess, Mega Man 9, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix, and the Pixeljunk games.

And I feel I must warn you away from Resistance 2. I liked the original quite a bit, but the second was one of the most poorly executed games I've seen (though the online was decent). The single player had poor pacing, poor story telling, some enemies that were downright cheap and was just not a lot of fun overall. Unless you absolutely love online multiplayer and can find it cheap stay away. Even then, Modern Warfare, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, and others are a lot more fun.

Dignified Pauper
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment just released today.

Valkyria Chronicles is amazing, for 19.99 you can't beat it.

And uh... I dunno, Fat Princess erikramza and I play often with our headsets.

Bolivar
01-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Like others have said, you should check out game videos and demos to find out what's right for you.

RPG - this is the genre you asked most about so here's my recommendations:

1. Valkyria Chronicles - definitely #1, couldn't recommend it more. Story seems generic at first but continually surprised me, the battles get consistently more epic and strategy-welcoming as the game goes on, the art style is beautiful and the music is from the FFXII/Ivalice games composer. Great stuff all around. Should be cheap now.

2. Demon's Souls - Unless you've been playing "current gen" games intensely over the last few years you probably won't have a problem with the difficulty. It's very trial-and-error, but you always learn. It's got incredible atmosphere and just makes you want to keep playing, to make it to that boss, learn how to beat him, get great loot and souls then move on.

3. Disgaea 3 - haven't played it, but the consensus seems to be that it's a content-packed game that is right up any SRPG fan's alley. I hope to get it soon. Should be cheap now.

FPS - the dominant genre of this "generation", here's my recommendations for PS3 owners.

1. Killzone 2 - bluntly, this is the game that shows off what the PS3 can do. Every time I go back to it I'm increasingly amazed at how much effort was put into the graphics, enemy AI, art design, detail, movement, shooting, pretty much everything. Just get ready for the movement because it's so finely tuned into a heavy feel that it's a new experience for most FPS players.

2. Resistance 2 - I know Vivi22 has a different opinion, but to each his own. Most reviewers concluded that this game improved on every aspect of the original. The single player was incredibly epic to me, and is one of those few moments where a FPS can get boss battles done right. 60 player competitive, 8 player co-op with maps and balancing crafted to support smaller, intimate games as well. A lot of us on EoFF have it and I'd be willing to play anytime.

Action/Adventure

1. inFAMOUS - Play the demo, because videos can't do justice how smooth and fun this game is to play. Tons of missions plus a second playthrough guaranteed since you want to go to the extremes with the karma system.

2. Uncharted Series - there's really not much to be said at how great this is. While most games nowadays focus on one aspect - shooting, racing, etc, it's fun to get into one with platforming, puzzle solving and competent shooting and melee, not to mention a great story with amazing acting. The first one is a really great game, but the second is just phenomenal, as evidenced by all of its Game of the Year awards. I would recommend playing the original first if you can find it for cheap.

3. Heavenly Sword - This was the first game that showed what the PS3 was capable of and defined the "Blu Ray Experience" in gaming. Amazing graphics, smooth gameplay, incredible animation and voice talent, they put a lot into it. It's short, though, so look for a good price.

Racing - I wasn't the biggest racing fan before this generation so I can swear by the quality of these

1. Motorstorm Series - these are incredibly fun games with great online and a little bit of strategy thrown in there to round it out. Motorstorm is just a great time. The sequel (Pacific Rift) is considered better, but it lost some of the course mechanics of the first and might not be as free flowing. Still, it has 4 player split screen and is indeed plausibly better.

2. Wipeout HD - don't let its "downloadable title" status fool you, this is a full retail game, the modern iteration of a great series. A bunch of us have it here on EoFF and with the Fury expansion there's plenty of content to get your hands on.

3. Gran Turismo 5 - you might want to skip Prologue and wait until the full game comes out this year, there's a time trial demo out now for you to get a hang of the new physics engine. The demo is apparently an old build because everything I've heard from people who've played it at trade shows, is that it simply cannot be overstated that the graphics are JAW DROPPING, and the game promises to be the most complete Gran Turismo yet.

Downloadable Games - Wipeout HD is a given here, but here are some of the more, well, conventional downloadable games.

1. PixelJunk Monsters - it's familiar with its Tower Defense mechanics, but don't be fooled, this game invites a lot of strategy and you'll desperately need it to get past a lot of the stages. It's got a great art style and pleasant music, totally worth the money and a good amount of play time for your buck.

2. PixelJunk Shooter - the latest game in the series, this is one of those old school, rotating, aircraft shooter games where you explore various locations in 2D. Just like the other PixelJunk games, it's got great visuals and music. This is a game you'll play on a rainy day for hours on end.

3. Fat Princesss - a great multiplayer game with various game modes, a unique presentation to it and comical tone. There's surprisingly a lot of strategy and team work required, so this one will have plenty of play time for you as well.

The Big One

Metal Gear Solid 4 - simply put, this is a gigantic, glaring reason to own a PS3. I completely stand behind the statement that this game is miles upon miles ahead of anything else released this generation. In terms of gameplay, story, acting, music, sound, there's just no contest on the PS3 or XBox 360. Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 may have outdone it on the graphical level, but the visuals are still undeniably better than anything on other consoles. One of my favorite games of all time and living proof that this generation doesn't have to be watered down.

So that's my list, all of these are PS3-exclusives by the way. The only one I haven't mentioned is Little Big Planet. All I'll say is that, more than a year after its release, you can still easily and immediately find amazing, unique content created by other users on the PSN. There's plenty of great multiplatform games out there for you to check out as well.

BTW, my PSN ID is rmx687.

Zeromus_X
01-23-2010, 08:07 PM
For RPGs, at least:

-Disgaea 3 (if you like SRPGs)
-Eternal Sonata (extremely colorful, linear JRPG, has a demo)
-Valkyria Chronicles (interesting battle system, has a demo)
-Demon's Souls (really hard but rewarding)

Levian
01-23-2010, 08:21 PM

We're at least two. :p It's an OK game, got boring quick. Definitely not a fantastic game.

Resident Evil 5
Silent Hill 5

:)

edit: I just played three hours of Little Big Planet multiplayer. Decided to give it a second chance :p It's really not that bad in multiplayer! I suppose any game is great in multiplayer. Single player gets boring quick though.

Nevermiiiiind. xD

I've been playing 4 player Little Big Planet today. It's hilarious.

Dignified Pauper
01-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Why am I the only person who thinks "meh" to LBP?

Raebus
01-24-2010, 09:27 AM
You aren't the only one, DP. I haven't played LBP for months now and the last time I did, I was just bored by it. I don't get why people think its such a fantastic game. =P

Dreddz
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
LBP is great in concept but poorly executed in my opinion. They should have ditched the floaty controls and made it control like Mario. Oh well.

It seems like all the obvious games have been mentioned enough times already so I won't bother repeating everyone else. I would recommend Wipeout HD if only because its fantastic value for money. The game aint half bad either. Then there is Motorstorm Pacific Rift which is always a riot. Looking past exclusives I would recommend Street Fighter IV and Bayonetta.

Nifleheim7
01-24-2010, 01:10 PM
If you like RPGs you should be looking forward to White Knight Chronicles (February 2 in NA.)It looks to be a solid game,with massive worlds,an innovative online system (Georama),and 50 online quests besides the offline campaign.

Personally i'm actually more excited about WKC than FFXIII.:)

ljkkjlcm9
01-24-2010, 04:17 PM
I have LBP and MW2 sitting unopened because there are better games like Assassin's Creed 2, Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, God of War Collection etc. I'll be turning to my Wii this week with No More Heroes 2 however, but shortly after that I will be returning for White Knight Chronicles!

THE JACKEL

Yeargdribble
01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
If you like RPGs you should be looking forward to White Knight Chronicles (February 2 in NA.)It looks to be a solid game,with massive worlds,an innovative online system (Georama),and 50 online quests besides the offline campaign.

Not to sidetrack things, but this bit bothers me. I was watching their online feature video on GT and besides the announcer being beyond obnoxious he used a line like.

"...featuring innovative online features like online quests!!"

Cue Inigo Montoya

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Seriously. Innovative is a bit of a stretch considering the concept of "online quests" is well over a decade old now. Where the people who wrote that pitch unaware of the 12 million people playing WoW not to mention all of the precursors to that and contemporary clones thereof?

Even claiming that on a non-massively multiplayer level it's innovative is a farce. The ability to quest online in some sort of small scale is pretty danged old.

Nifleheim7
01-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Not to sidetrack things, but this bit bothers me. I was watching their online feature video on GT and besides the announcer being beyond obnoxious he used a line like.

Cue Inigo Montoya

Seriously. Innovative is a bit of a stretch considering the concept of "online quests" is well over a decade old now. Where the people who wrote that pitch unaware of the 12 million people playing WoW not to mention all of the precursors to that and contemporary clones thereof?

Even claiming that on a non-massively multiplayer level it's innovative is a farce. The ability to quest online in some sort of small scale is pretty danged old.

The innovation claim in WKC comes not so much from the online quests but mostly from the ability to take things from the offline campaign and use them in the online one,which is called Georama.It's basically a next gen version of the Georama system used in the Dark Cloud games.You can make towns and populate them by recruiting npcs from the offline campaign,sell items to other online players visiting your town (which they can use in their own offline campaign later),uploading photos from your quests,blogging and other features that haven't been revealed yet.
It's not a big innovative step but at least it shows me that Level 5 are willing to try some new things rather than focusing on pretty graphics and cinematic experiences.

No one said that online quests are innovative.The announcer was referring to the Georama system.And i admit,he sounded ridiculous.

Depression Moon
01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
You aren't the only one, DP. I haven't played LBP for months now and the last time I did, I was just bored by it. I don't get why people think its such a fantastic game. =P
You must don't play online or create levels. I always love to search for someone who has created that great piece of artwork. How they turn one of their favorite movies, shows, games into satisfying level adaptation. I also like to listen to the music created by others, look at other peoples visual artwork whether they be stickered collections, motion comics, or just the design of a level. There's also the other artistic ones in the levels that play themselves. There is also the levels out there that express the art of storytelling.
I also find it cool to find levels that could do things I never thought was possible in LBP. There are pinball games, FPS's, mini-action-rpgs, side scrolling shooters, racers, and simulations. I've even seen a rock paper scissor game, a hangman game, virtual calculator, mystery games, the list goes on.

I like to go to tutorial levels that show steps on using a glicth that i might potentially use in a level that I create. Going into the whole thing on creation this the best aspect for me. It allows all gamers to be game designers and receive feedback from the public. It's challenging my brain and I'm always thinking of something to make. the only problem I have with this is that the community doesn't always give precise feedback and great creators who are on top of community lvls don't really accept my friend requests when I send it to them asking for help with exchange ogf help and if they do accept it they ignore messages I send to them or deny my request to join them in a session.

I just feel that they should spread their knowledge and lend a hand with their talent. I know if I was that good I would surely make some time to pass my blessing onto another especially if he was kind when he asked me and informed me he was trying really hard and was working arduously on a level for 4 months, but just couldn't complete it because he was just stuck on two little issues that prevented him from sharing art to the public. If I was that skilled it probably wouldn't even take me that long to help him find a solution to his problem.In terms of game design it might help me out someday because if I can't learn to use the software in LBP how could I learn to use a more complex designing software?

All in all I find it to be a fantastic game that has infinite capacity. It's a ten in my book and I rank as my second favorite of all time.

Oh and I would like to reccommend Complicated Simplicity III to anyone out there who looks for a challenge. It seems to me to be the most well designed level in the servers. It outshines anything that MM has produced and that's another thing on that too. Seeing average gamers besting out the original developers of the game.

I still back up the Orange box as well. It was a very moving experience for me. Portal was one of the best games I've played.

Yeargdribble
01-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Cue Inigo Montoya

The innovation claim in WKC comes not so much from the online quests but mostly from the ability to take things from the offline campaign and use them in the online one,which is called Georama.It's basically a next gen version of the Georama system used in the Dark Cloud games.You can make towns and populate them by recruiting npcs from the offline campaign,sell items to other online players visiting your town (which they can use in their own offline campaign later),uploading photos from your quests,blogging and other features that haven't been revealed yet.
It's not a big innovative step but at least it shows me that Level 5 are willing to try some new things rather than focusing on pretty graphics and cinematic experiences.

No one said that online quests are innovative.The announcer was referring to the Georama system.And i admit,he sounded ridiculous.

I do think there are some innovative bits, but I felt like that particular video was an oversell. Personally I'm very very interested in the game and it's like to be a day one purchase. I just remember being more excited before the video. What was being said was awesome, but he sounded like a silly announcer for a movie and it just doesn't mesh with a video game trailer. For some reason it sounded condescending.

I'm not convinced that any one aspect of Georama is innovative on its own. I think it's more the fact that it takes a lot of good idea from online gaming over the last decade and distills them into a very nice composite.

Bolivar
01-24-2010, 11:39 PM
You must don't play online or create levels. I always love to search for someone who has created that great piece of artwork. How they turn one of their favorite movies, shows, games into satisfying level adaptation.

I gotta second this, although I've noticed the community has really gone beyond making "fanfiction" levels out of alerady existing IP's. There's just so much original stuff out there.

I like seeing creators who stick to one theme, constantly building up their own stockpile of unique objects. For example, one creator has levels of nothing but stationary, so you're platforming across moving pencils, erasers, chalk and paper and such. Believe me, it's more fun than it sounds! Another example is someone who has done nothing but dinosaurs, and has made really interesting and suspenseful levels with them. By the time you beat one or two, you've got tons of dinosaur objects you can put into your own levels.

It's really not hard to hop online and find some amazing stuff in literally two seconds. Just go to Highest Rated and make sure you avoid the ones that are blatantly marked as giving you trophies. I think some of your opinions on LBP might change.

Crop
01-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Portal was one of the best games I've played.

Agreed. And yet I don't want a sequel...they'd better not bugger it up.

Personally I've never been a fan of LBP, I guess it's just not my kind of game but I can't see how so many people enjoy it.

There have been very few games for the PS3 that I've been blown away by - I still think the PS2 is better. But I'd say The Orange Box and Fallout 3 were the best I've played.