PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Queries

Rye
01-22-2010, 08:16 PM
This can be a general "when will this go bad/will this go bad if..." thread, I guess!

I'm interesting in making Alfredo sauce. It's my favorite, and it's the thing that makes Chicken Carbonaras so exceptional. I want to make a big batch of it and put it on all of my sandwiches.

If I make it in a semi-large quantity, does anyone how long I have until it will go off? It's mostly made of butter and cheese, and while cheese stays okay for a while, I honestly don't know how long you can have it stored in the refrigerator, and if it'll be bad if reheated. I'm not interested in storing it for a month, just a week or so. Any chefs or expert cooks? Saucemasters (doesn't that sound like a really useless job in Dwarf Fortress?)

Alternative topic; what was the most disgusting discovery you found of something that was left to go rotten in the fridge/in a mystery place? :x

qwertysaur
01-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Alfredo sauce can last a long time, but it is so yummy that it never gets the chance. To keep it for a long time, you have to freeze it. It will last for months if frozen, but you will have to stir well to keep it from curdling when you reheat it. Refrigerated Alfredo sauce lasts only 3 to 4 days. Make sure the container is airtight for storage, mold loves sauces as much as humans do!

My mom made cheep wine because there were grapes left in the back of the garage fridge for a couple years because we never used it. It was more like grape vinegar. :p

blackmage_nuke
01-22-2010, 11:13 PM
There should be an EoFF cooking/food social group to be the antithesis of the eoff fit group

Rye
01-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Oooh, qwerty, you're clever. Thank you! I'll probably make some of that soon.

And yes! There really should. Lots of photos of delicious foods. Someone needs to make that!

Tavrobel
01-22-2010, 11:34 PM
If I make it in a semi-large quantity, does anyone how long I have until it will go off? It's mostly made of butter and cheese, and while cheese stays okay for a while, I honestly don't know how long you can have it stored in the refrigerator, and if it'll be bad if reheated. I'm not interested in storing it for a month, just a week or so. Any chefs or expert cooks?

When reheating, it depends on the consistency of the sauce. If it's a heavy version, it'll go all sorts of downtown when you reheat it, and trying to put it back together may be messier than you might like (not that this is an excuse not to eat it, it'll still taste like alfredo sauce, just in its separate parts). Doesn't matter how long you store it, in my experience; :bou::bou::bou::bou: just happens.

I make alfredo sauce for myself all the time, but I don't think past three days anymore. Sure, something can be saved if you freeze it, but the effort required to reheat and maintain its consumable integrity is just so not worth it.

Now, if you're talking about tomato based sauces, that's definitely something different.

Shlup
01-22-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't know anything about alfredo sauces except that they're fatty, so I avoid them.

Once I did a super bad job making chili, but I made a lot so BJ didn't want to just waste it, so we put it in the fridge, but neither of us would eat it, so, like, a long time later we finally went to throw it out... but we ended up throwing out the whole tupperware. It was too wrong. We wanted to die.

Rye
01-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Today, Hux and I did a major house clean up, since people are coming to view his house for next year's rentals. One of his weird housemates left a glass out side for months, and it grew MOLD AND MOSS ON IT GROSS.

I was dry-heaving when he cleaned it. I made him through out the sponge!

Iceglow
01-23-2010, 01:32 AM
Today, Hux and I did a major house clean up, since people are coming to view his house for next year's rentals. One of his weird housemates left a glass out side for months, and it grew MOLD AND MOSS ON IT GROSS.

I was dry-heaving when he cleaned it. I made him through out the sponge!

I would have made him throw out the glass. Just give it a good kick and crunch anything left outside in to dust with a brick.

Worst thing was a guy I kinda knew back in college left the dishes in the sink for like 3 weeks without cleaning any of them, he just added to them all the time. I knew his housemate better, she returned from holiday to find this mess. She wanted to just cook some pasta but the saucepan used for boiling pasta was actually one of the ones in the sink. It had rotten pasta, stale water and mould and algae cultures all over it. We both promptly threw up (we'd been dry heaving since entering the flat) and had to throw all the cutlery, tableware and cookware out in to the bin. She then billed her housemate for all of it and also informed the landlord so he got booted out and also billed him £175 for my help in clearing his mess as it was a very literal biohazzard.

Rye
01-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I wanted to throw out the glass too, Steve. Unfortunately, they came with the landlady, or the housemate, so we couldn't. :( It was so disgusting.

Jiro
01-23-2010, 12:05 PM
I tried to make Mango Sorbet just then. The recipe said "3/4 Cup" and being the idiot I am, I thought it meant "three-or-four cups". To be fair, the letter spacing was quite large.

On the upside, it still tasted delicious before it went in for freezing. *waits 4 hours*

fire_of_avalon
01-23-2010, 04:29 PM
one time when my grandma was alive she made some cornbread and we ate some and put it in a container. somehow the container ended up in the cupboard and we all forgot about it. maybe a month later i was putting away some leftovers from supper and pulled it out. it looked like it had grown fine grey HAIR uggggh

how long can a meringue topping last?

Momiji
01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
When I was a kid my parents made me clean out a wooden box filled with rotten, decomposed potatoes.

I threw up many times in the process.