PDA

View Full Version : WEAPONS

Craig
01-23-2010, 03:39 PM
im probably completely wrong as its been a while since i played FF7 or 10 so i cant remember the stories exactly, but seeing as they are set in the same universe and therefore follow the same rules (like the lifestream and farplane being the same thing) then wouldnt spira have its own version of the weapons from FF7? as in emerald, ruby etc.

also if this is the case, would you have expected them to wake up and just kill sin and vegnagun themselves?

Lunatic_High
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Err... I don't belive that they were set in the same universe.

Craig
01-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Err... I don't belive that they were set in the same universe.

they are, its been officially stated that X is set thousands of years before 7 and on a different planet i believe

Lunatic_High
01-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I have never seen that! I am interested to know if thats true can someone confirm this?

Plus the Weapon theory is slightly ruined by this fact different planets are totally different such as Earth is different to Saturn. Also Weapon destroying Sin would mean no Final Fantasy X storyline.

Craig
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I have never seen that! I am interested to know if thats true can someone confirm this?

Plus the Weapon theory is slightly ruined by this fact different planets are totally different such as Earth is different to Saturn. Also Weapon destroying Sin would mean no Final Fantasy X storyline.

yeah i guess so, i just figured that although they are different planets, they are set in the same universe so they would follow the same rules, especially with them both having similar afterlives and the lifestream/farplane being the same

also, read this guide. it is a translation of the FF 10-2 ultimania

Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania FAQ - IGN FAQs (http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/702/702971p1.html)

Roogle
01-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Yes, this is true. This is only stated in the Ultimania guide and not directly in either of the games. Shinra from Final Fantasy X-2 is a reference to the Shinra Corporation in Final Fantasy VII.

Lunatic_High
01-23-2010, 09:43 PM

Yes, this is true. This is only stated in the Ultimania guide and not directly in either of the games. Shinra from Final Fantasy X-2 is a reference to the Shinra Corporation in Final Fantasy VII.

No wonder I never knew! Thanks :-)

Saber
01-23-2010, 09:47 PM
They got Ultima and omega weapon. Although the weapons did different things in the games. FFVIIDoC got me thinking about Omega. Omega is there as a last resort for the planet. To take the soul of the planet to the stars and create a new. one thing, Final Fantasy VII killed Omega. So the planet is saved forever. Thats the ending of DoC. Anyways since which came first? FFVII or FFX? I mean time line. Also back to what I really wanted to say is, Do you think Omega is in all the games cause the world is about to end? That he carries his own purpose rather then being the hardest boss?

Roogle
01-23-2010, 09:51 PM
No, I think Omega Weapon is simply a recurring monster design in the series that the creators use to give gamers an added challenge or fight a powerful-looking monster. What games has an Omega Weapon appeared in?

Vermachtnis
01-23-2010, 10:06 PM
I know he showed up in V, VIII, X, and XII.

Roogle
01-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh, that's right. Omega Weapon made an appearance in Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy V as a powerful robot.

In those cases, I'm certain that he was meant to be an anachronistic monster designed to give gamers an added challenge. In the first game, he was more difficult than the final boss. In the fifth game, he was more difficult than the final boss, too.

Kyros
01-24-2010, 04:50 AM
So if there are 2 different things happening on 2 different planets in the same universe why are they expected to follow the same (or even remotely similar) rules? THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AT ALL. Just because stuff is in the same universe doesn't mean anything about how they're related. The 2 planets could be 207830278750281 gazillion light years apart and still be in the same universe so I really don't see how they'd be related =/

*I'm not meaning for this to sound like a flame/rant/whatever so sorry if it sounds like that, I'm just kinda saying I don't a point in trying to relate this stuff.

Roogle
01-24-2010, 07:31 AM
This is a message that the developers of Final Fantasy X-2 wanted to relay to fans. At the time of its conception, Final Fantasy VII was never associated with a future title in the series.

In fact, I remember when this information was found out when Ultimania was released — it was the first time that two Final Fantasy games of different franchises were connected. At the time of the announcement, it was a little exciting because it seemed like a shoutout to the fans who thought Shinra was more than just a reference for players.

You're right, Kyros, that this does not mean that the titles are necessarily related like a brother and sister. I can see what you're saying. It's, like, "Okay, these two are related, but only slightly," so what's the point of doing it at all? Maybe to gauge the fan reaction for future story developments like that in the future? Testing the waters for the concepts of Dissidia Final Fantasy? This would be a question for the developers in charge of the direction of a game.

Craig
01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
So if there are 2 different things happening on 2 different planets in the same universe why are they expected to follow the same (or even remotely similar) rules? THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AT ALL. Just because stuff is in the same universe doesn't mean anything about how they're related. The 2 planets could be 207830278750281 gazillion light years apart and still be in the same universe so I really don't see how they'd be related =/

*I'm not meaning for this to sound like a flame/rant/whatever so sorry if it sounds like that, I'm just kinda saying I don't a point in trying to relate this stuff.

well if the people who made these 2 games have decided to relate this stuff then why not? especially seeing as both planets have a lifestream.

it was just a thought

Kyros
01-26-2010, 04:33 AM
I don't see the lifestream and the farplane as the same thing just similar =/ Couldn't you argue they're almost the same thing as Heaven except you can see/talk to the people there instead of just praying to give your thoughts to them?

Roogle
01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
The Final Fantasy Wiki article for the Farplane (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Farplane) and the Final Fantasy Wiki article for the Lifestream (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Lifestream) are a good starting place to understanding the differences between the two.

I agree with Kyros. The Farplane and the Lifestream are similar at surface value, but both work differently in the context of the stories. They are essentially direct references to the afterlife.

G13
01-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

It makes me think that it would have been cool if they tied that in with Jenova and her planet-vessel. Like "Oh hey look at that! A shooting star!". Not much but enough to give some mention in-game.

Did they only do that for when X-2 came out or was this planned all the way through?

Roogle
01-28-2010, 06:37 AM
The fact that connects the world of Final Fantasy X with the world of Final Fantasy VII was only mentioned in the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania, so I believe that the connection only came up after the completion of both games rather than something planned from the start. I cannot say for sure.

Old Manus
02-03-2010, 01:53 AM
Yeah, it sounds like some retcon they put in while trying to think of new whacky ideas for FFX-2.

ANGRYWOLF
02-03-2010, 03:48 AM
The fact that connects the world of Final Fantasy X with the world of Final Fantasy VII was only mentioned in the Final Fantasy X-2 Ultimania, so I believe that the connection only came up after the completion of both games rather than something planned from the start. I cannot say for sure.

some Square producers..Kitase and Nojima it would seem:

Final Fantasy VII - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII)

Al-bhed shinra from FFX-2 being the apparent link.

I never gave it much credence.:|

BG-57
02-10-2010, 12:43 AM
FFX-2 is the Star Trek V of Final Fantasy, the one most fans would rather pretend doesn't exist.

Yeah, I can't see how one throwaway reference can connect FFVII to FFX, since neither were created with that in mind.

Kyros
02-10-2010, 07:39 AM
FFX-2 is the Star Trek V of Final Fantasy, the one most fans would rather pretend doesn't exist.

I thought everyone ever would just prefer Star Trek everything didn't exist.

There's really no point in stuff being linked together from VII and X, and the face they may be in the same universe doesn't mean they relate to each other in any way, shape, or form imo

BG-57
02-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Cheap shots aside, I think we all agree on the merits of the connection between the games as being too little, too late.

Kyros
02-10-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm still not seeing a connection between them at all.

Madame Adequate
02-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I have one word for you, just one word.

Neslug.

:cry:

BG-57
02-11-2010, 01:01 AM

Do you mean even accepting that the Shin-Ra corporation was named after and used ideas from an Al-Bhed from a different era?

Kyros
02-11-2010, 07:19 AM

Do you mean even accepting that the Shin-Ra corporation was named after and used ideas from an Al-Bhed from a different era?

Don't believe it so whatever don't care no connection.

BG-57
02-11-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't either, but I'm making a distinction between what FFX-2 tried to do and what I accept.

It takes more than a single reference to tie two game worlds effectively together. The second game has to intentionally incorporate recognizable elements of the first. FFXII (to FFT) and FFX-2 (to FFX) do this by design. FFX was never designed to be a prequel to FFVII.