PDA

View Full Version : BSOD

Bastian
01-23-2010, 10:57 PM
My first ever BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) last night.

And it's all my fault.

Being an American without cable, I haven't seen the last three Doctor Who specials, which are not yet out on DVD, so I was . . . ahem . . . acquiring them online . . .

And then my browser alerts me that this site might have malware . . . but this site is "trusted" . . . so I click ignore.

And then: bang, smash, kaboom.

BSOD.

And then my computer restarted itself. BSOD. And then computer restarted itself. BSOD . . . ad infinitum.

Ugh.

There (probably) goes all my recordings (I'm a musician) and the RPG Maker game I had just finished designing and photos of my deceased niece and so on.

Stupid me!

Anyone else want to share their BSOD stories?

rubah
01-23-2010, 10:58 PM
hook your HDD up as a slave and recover your infos.

Bunny
01-23-2010, 11:05 PM
PM me the link so I can avoid that site. And I'll tell you where to safely find them.

Bastian
01-23-2010, 11:12 PM
hook your HDD up as a slave and recover your infos.

I forgot to mention that I'm possibly the least tech-savvy person here. HDD? Slave? You could be talking about kinky BDSM stuff for all I know. :(

I'm planning on taking it to the neighborhood computer shop. But researching the specific Stop error makes it sound like I'm pretty much screwed. Something about a "corrupted partition" . . .

After glancing over your post again as I type this, I'm guessing HDD is "hard disc drive" and "slave" is probably where I have my laptop connected to another computer as its "master" and then somehow access the files? But that sort of this is beyond my meager comp skills, I think.

Psychotic
01-23-2010, 11:16 PM
If it helps, the Doctor saves the universe.

~*~Celes~*~
01-23-2010, 11:51 PM
last summer, every time my computer overheated, BSOD showed up. It sucked.

Meat Puppet
01-24-2010, 03:43 AM
I would feel pretty lucky if I got a BSoD today.

Rodarian
01-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Have yet to get that *touch wood* BUT.. The night before I fell for this 'Live PC protection crap' my laptop suffered a total meltdown (Look up this malware cause its pretty deadly and can fool anyone) .. Thankfully my cousin is software savy so he hooked me up with newer Anti Malware program (My Norton got bypassed cause I forgot to update! )

I managed to solve the problem but not before getting rid of over 900 evil bugs of deaths!

Thankfully my backup drive is secured and I have three protection programs on.

I hate those ppl who create these things!! :pissed:

Old Manus
01-24-2010, 01:24 PM
After glancing over your post again as I type this, I'm guessing HDD is "hard disc drive" and "slave" is probably where I have my laptop connected to another computer as its "master" and then somehow access the files?Good google skills, bro

NorthernChaosGod
01-24-2010, 01:39 PM
I've only actually seen the BSOD once in person, and it was years ago on a friend's computer. I've never actually seen it on any of my personal computers. :cool:

Moon Rabbits
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
What? You people all have never gotten a BSOD? Did you never use pre-Windows XP systems? :confused::confused:

Slothy
01-24-2010, 05:28 PM
What? You people all have never gotten a BSOD? Did you never use pre-Windows XP systems? :confused::confused:

That's the last time I got one really. Windows 98 was quite fond of them but since XP and everything after I've never seen one.

rubah
01-24-2010, 06:10 PM
I didn't get BSOD that often even with win 95. Sometimes when I'd try to play one of the 1001 Best Windows Games!!!1 I'd get one. I got the black screen of reboot far more often under xp when my computer's harddrive failed

Raistlin
01-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I don't think I've gotten any since Windows 95, and even then only a few.

Zeldy
01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Back in the day, BSoD was pretty much my wallpaper. I got it all the time.

KentaRawr!
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
It's great to have a BSOD as a screen saver.

KuRt
01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
The first version of xp got me so darn mad with it's obsession of BSODing every 7 minutes. You start your PC, windows starts up and BAM!: "Windows has found an illegal operation and must be shut down." -> BSOD
Or when you tried to turn on some games xp gave you a message: "system failed correctly" -> BSOD.
If you accidentally got to play a game without bsod, when you were in a tight spot and wanted to save -> BSOD!

But yea, nowadays you dont get that much of those.

NorthernChaosGod
01-25-2010, 12:01 AM

Well, yes. But I didn't own my own computer 'til short after the release of XP. My interaction before was restricted to either school computers or my step father's computer and he was a tech so it ran rather well.

Meat Puppet
01-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Only one person between the OP and your post had never seen a BSoD.