PDA

View Full Version : I suppose it's not that bad..

Levian
01-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Have you ever been wrong about a game? Like thinking it sucked the first, or first few times you played it, only to give it a second chance and find out that it's actually a pretty good game?

Found out today that Little Big Planet is pretty nice.

LunarWeaver
01-24-2010, 02:54 AM
I didn't like Xenosaga Episode 1 at all when I bought it. It wasn't until later that I became obsessed with it and the following 2.

I hated Chrono Cross my first playthrough for various reasons. I got over it and enjoyed it eventually. One of my favorite games now.

Raistlin
01-24-2010, 04:06 AM
I didn't like FFT at first. To be fair, I was like 11 and it was more thinking than I was used to in a game; I played it again a year or so later and loved it. I'm sure there's been others, but none as notable for me.

Vermachtnis
01-24-2010, 04:47 AM
Final Fantasy II, didn't like to much when I played Origins. Picked it up on the PSP and had a blast. Well not a blast, but it was more enjoyable than the first time.

Levian
01-24-2010, 05:01 AM
I suppose I should also mention Silent Hill 5 and Megaman 7.

I never though Silent Hill 5 was a bad game, just not on par with the old ones, some of them which are godly. Now after having replayed it and actually finished it this time, I have to say Silent Hill 5 is definitely right up there with the others. I especially liked all the details with the story leading up till the day for instance the mayor digging up a grave early in the game, and then later on you find out he wasn't digging up a grave, but rather digging a grave for his own son so he can bury him alive! creepy Good game, good game.

I was annoyed with megaman 7 for a very long time, mega man takes up far too much of the screen, making it harder to dodge things, and he also seems to walk slower than his animation for some reason, giving off the impression that he's running really slow. Looking past these two things I find a megaman game that has improved a lot on the old things from megaman 1-6, while still keeping the good stuff intact. Quite an enjoyable game.

Wolf Kanno
01-24-2010, 06:45 AM
The most notable for me is Final Fantasy VI, didn't like it. The plot was intriguing but as a guy who played mostly plat formers and fighting games, I can't say I was use to a game having so many words and combat that involved me giving commands to my characters instead of just pressing A for my character to smack them in the face. It wasn't until Secret of Mana eased me into RPGs and taught me the value of how awesome playing a game with a plot had before I finally went back and played the game.

In recent years, I would say it was FFVII, after finally getting away from the fanboys and getting over years of disappointment from a game that was suppose to "blow my freaking mind" that frankly didn't live up to its unrealistic hype, I'm able to play the game and enjoy it now. Still take whatever people say about it with a grain of salt though...

I'm also thinking about starting over with Golden Sun cause frankly I have no idea what I'm doing in the game anymore and it really didn't impress me too much when I originally played it but my GF is obsessed with it so I'm going to give it another go when I get the chance.

Markus. D
01-24-2010, 08:37 AM
I suppose I should also mention Silent Hill 5 and Megaman 7.

I never though Silent Hill 5 was a bad game, just not on par with the old ones, some of them which are godly. Now after having replayed it and actually finished it this time, I have to say Silent Hill 5 is definitely right up there with the others. I especially liked all the details with the story leading up till the day for instance the mayor digging up a grave early in the game, and then later on you find out he wasn't digging up a grave, but rather digging a grave for his own son so he can bury him alive! creepy Good game, good game.

Another thing I cannot allow to leave unmentioned is the fact that the protagonist has a lot of life in him, personality wise, even reacting to the things he encounters... 2 and 4 in particular were almost completely bleghed from this (I'm not counting 3 and mildly exluding 4 because imo, nothing beats Heather/Walter in character development, if we overlook Shattered Memories).

Bolivar
01-24-2010, 11:50 PM
final fantasy viii, i think the junction and draw system is still misunderstood by players to this day. It was years after its original release that it became one of my favorite games of all time instead of the red-headed step child of the series.

Depression Moon
01-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Back in the day I had a copy of Breath of Fire III for the PS1. I was a kid then and I immediately thought the game was lame because the graphics were all ugly, so I never got as farther than chopping wood for this middle-aged guy. Did I miss out on a great game?

Slothy
01-25-2010, 12:48 AM
It's pretty rare for me to not like a game and then decide it isn't so bad after all later. The only thing I can think of is Street Fighter II. I played some iteration of it in an arcade when I was younger, but I wasn't much of a fighting game fan at the time so the finer points of the fighting mechanics were lost on me leading me to hate it. The fact that my next experience with Street Fighter was EX on the PSX meant that my opinion of it wasn't helped. Luckily, I've since bought SFII HD Remix and SFIV and I consider the former to be one of the best fighting games I've ever played.

Crop
01-25-2010, 03:23 AM
Found out today that Little Big Planet is pretty nice.

I've played that a few times to give it a go, but I think it's very boring - I don't see the fuss.

For me it's FFXII, I got about half way through the first time and realized I wasn't enjoying it. I played it again about a year ago and really got into it, finishing the game and much of the bonus stuff.