PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some books!

Jessweeee♪
01-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I was looking through the book review thread for some, and A Dirty Job stuck out the most to me. Unfortunately the eight story library I go to doesn't have :bou::bou::bou::bou: so I can't quite read it at the moment.

Right now I'm in the mood for some comedy, maybe dark humor. I'm trying to compile a list of things before I go through my library's catalog.

Please help :</>D?

charliepanayi
01-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Two magicians in 18th/19th Century England, great work of fantasy.

Rye
01-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Dark humor?

Augusten Burroughs! David Sedaris!

I'd recommend Sellovision by Augusten Burroughs.

Jessweeee♪
01-24-2010, 09:48 PM
Dark humor?

Augusten Burroughs! David Sedaris!

I'd recommend Sellovision by Augusten Burroughs.

Sellevision looked neat! BUT MY LIBRARY DOESN'T HAVE IT. Seriously, it's like eight stories there is no excuse for this!

I may try Running with Scissors, though.

EDIT:

Looks like I won't be. My library has it but the last douche to check it out was supposed to return it on the 15th of December. IT'S STILL OUT >:I

Raistlin
01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Humorous and very dark.

TheAbominatrix
01-24-2010, 10:44 PM
I second Rye's David Sedaris suggestion. Also Chuck Palahniuk, start easy with something like Survivor or Fight Club, or if you're ready to get completely twisted, pick up Haunted.

Jessweeee♪
01-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Jeff Lindsay's Darkly Dreaming Dexter. Humorous and very dark.

I looked at the wikipedia article and thought. "Oh that looks cool. I heard nice things about the show, too."

And I just checked; it's not in my library's catalog either.

:kaocry2:

~*~Celes~*~
01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Your library sucks :(

Jessweeee♪
01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I know! There is no excuse for an eight story library with a :bou::bou::bou::bou:load of fiction books to not have bestselling books from ten years ago.

IT IS NOT 1999 ANYMORE LIBRARY.

eestlinc
01-25-2010, 12:28 AM
<u>The Crying of Lot 49</u> by Thomas Pynchon.

Shlup
01-25-2010, 12:43 AM
You Suck: A Love Story (http://www.amazon.com/You-Suck-Story-Christopher-Moore/dp/0060590300/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264380164&sr=8-2) is funny and an easy read.

I Took the Red Pill
01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.

ANGRYWOLF
01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Retief novels...

Retief! by Keith Laumer - Baen Books (http://www.baen.com/Library/0671318578/0671318578.htm)

The Man
01-25-2010, 02:49 AM
<u>The Crying of Lot 49</u> by Thomas Pynchon.

I second this.

Also Terry Pratchett. I'd recommend starting with Small Gods or Guards! Guards!. Or maybe Going Postal.

Namelessfengir
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
the dresden files by jim butcher. start with storm front and work from there. theres 11 books so far.

i read through the ender sagas pretty quick by orson scott card

Rye
01-25-2010, 06:23 PM
My library sux a lot too. I ended up giving up and just buying books real cheap from charity shops, street vendors, Amazon.com marketplace, etc. Now I have my own library! Not as impressive as the one Huxley's mommy has (she seriously has ceiling high bookshelves lining the walls of the living room and front room and they're all crammed full and then some), but it's getting somewhere!

I would send you my copy of Sellovision for a lend, but it'd take forever to arrive since I'm in England atm and the postage for you to return it would cost more than to just buy the book. Sorry. :x

krissy
01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
You Suck: A Love Story (http://www.amazon.com/You-Suck-Story-Christopher-Moore/dp/0060590300/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264380164&sr=8-2) is funny and an easy read.

read Bloodsucking Fiends first

Jessweeee♪
01-25-2010, 06:48 PM
My library sux a lot too. I ended up giving up and just buying books real cheap from charity shops, street vendors, Amazon.com marketplace, etc. Now I have my own library! Not as impressive as the one Huxley's mommy has (she seriously has ceiling high bookshelves lining the walls of the living room and front room and they're all crammed full and then some), but it's getting somewhere!

I would send you my copy of Sellovision for a lend, but it'd take forever to arrive since I'm in England atm and the postage for you to return it would cost more than to just buy the book. Sorry. :x

It's the thought that counts ;_;

The Man
01-26-2010, 08:14 AM
Dresden Files are pretty good; I've read the first three. The first two Ender books are good but I'd stop after Speaker for the Dead; the rest of the series doesn't measure up. I don't really see any dark humour in those though.

TheAbominatrix
01-26-2010, 10:02 AM
My library sux a lot too. I ended up giving up and just buying books real cheap from charity shops, street vendors, Amazon.com marketplace, etc.

Smart woman! I do the same thing, and I'm developing a pretty sizable and impressive library. Beautiful hard cover copies of Lord of the Rings, Memoirs of a Geisha, Roots, etc and I didn't pay more than $5 for any of them... which is pretty awesome, considering that hard cover books can go for upwards of $25 these days.

Topic at hand! I also recommend Camus if you can get your hands on any decent translations of his work. Most libraries should have Camus, he's pretty classic.

Rye
01-26-2010, 10:11 AM
My library sux a lot too. I ended up giving up and just buying books real cheap from charity shops, street vendors, Amazon.com marketplace, etc.

Smart woman! I do the same thing, and I'm developing a pretty sizable and impressive library. Beautiful hard cover copies of Lord of the Rings, Memoirs of a Geisha, Roots, etc and I didn't pay more than $5 for any of them... which is pretty awesome, considering that hard cover books can go for upwards of $25 these days.

Topic at hand! I also recommend Camus if you can get your hands on any decent translations of his work. Most libraries should have Camus, he's pretty classic.

Yeah, I actually found a bunch of those classics at the local thrift shop near my house. I was kind of bummed out because I had already bought those before looking there. Could have saved a bunch of money and given money to a good cause. Shame!

Also yes yes yes, I liked The Stranger by Camus. Camus is great.

qwertysaur
01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaimen.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Twilight.

Just Kidding :D...well...theres one thing you shouldnt read lol

Dignified Pauper
01-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Knockemstiff by Don Pollock
Time's Arrow by Martin Amos
A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You by - can't remember the author

ummm....

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon - only if you like lots of bad puns and want to know who created the idea cyber punk (not this book, but he pretty much coined the term)

Jessweeee♪
01-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Twilight.

Just Kidding :D...well...theres one thing you shouldnt read lol

I'm still trying to scrub it from my brain. Why did I have to be fourteen? Couldn't I have just skipped it and gone straight to fifteen? ;_;