PDA

View Full Version : Recommend Radiohead

JKTrix
01-25-2010, 01:37 PM
So I have $10 in Amazon.com music credit, and I decided to use it to get into some Radiohead (after hearing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upgejnlYgSE).)

Problem is I don't know where to start. So, I'm lookin' for some recommendations! Full albums, individual songs, whatever. I don't mind spending a little more than the free $10, but not much more than that right now.

charliepanayi
01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Well you can't go wrong with any of it (barring Pablo Honey maybe), they're brilliant.

If you prefer a more 'indie rock' sound, get The Bends. If you fancy a bit more experimental album, with elements of electronica, get Kid A. If you want something in between, get OK Computer.

Inferno
01-25-2010, 02:44 PM
I tried to restrict myself to create a top 15.

2+2=5 (The Lukewarm.)
(Nice Dream)
Airbag
Bullet Proof...I Wish I Was
Exit Music (For A Film)
Fake Plastic Trees
High And Dry
I Might Be Wrong
Idioteque
Rabbit in your headlights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqxajDQCjuQ)
Just
Karma Police
No surprises
Paranoid Android
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

And like charliepanayi, I think the "Pablo Honey" album kinda sucks, except maybe for the song "Creep"

Rye
01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
I like a good amount of their songs, but the two songs that really strike me are Street Spirit (Fade Out) and Fake Plastic Tree.

Inferno
01-25-2010, 02:50 PM
I like a good amount of their songs, but the two songs that really strike me are Street Spirit (Fade Out) and Fake Plastic Tree.
Probably 2 of my 5 most favorite :)

JKTrix
01-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Good stuff y'all, thanks.

Moon Rabbits
01-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Myxamatosis or Idioteque.

Radiohead is brutally overrated.

Bunny
01-25-2010, 05:39 PM
My three favorite Radiohead songs are probably, in no particular order, Idioteque, High and Dry, and Street Spirit (Fade Out).

rubah
01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
The important thing to recall about radiohead is that their sound changes significantly from album to album. The Bends is more like alternative rock, OK Computer is alternative rock with a lot of electronica overtones, and it's darker than The Bends. Kid A isn't really rock at all, Amnesiac is even more depressing (imo). Hail to the Thief starts the trend going back the other way, getting a bit more movement and rhythm, but still really really dark. In Rainbows is brighter in mood, but a lot of people seemed unsatisfied by it.

Songs I like, according to my iPod:
The Bends: The Bends, Black Star, My Iron Lung, Street Spirit (Fade out)
OK Computer: Electioneering, Exit Music (for a film), Lucky, No Surprises, Paranoid Android
Kid A: Everything in its Right Place
Amnesiac: Pyramid Song
Hail to the Thief: Go To Sleep (Little Man Being Erased), Sail to the Moon (Brush the Cobwebs out of the Sky), Sit Down, Stand Up (Snakes & Ladders), Where I End and You begin (The Sky is Falling In)
In Rainbows: Jigsaw Falling into Place, Reckoner
Misc Live: True Love Waits, 15 Step

15 step is on In Rainbows, but I like the live version a lot

Boney King
01-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Their best albums are OK Computer (if you like alt-rock), Kid A (if you like electronic/experimental), and In Rainbows (this one has a bit of everything). Pick one of these.

Quindiana Jones
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Just is an amazing song. I can listen to any Radiohead, but I am very strict with recommendations and Just is the only one I would tie you down and force you to listen to if you'd never heard Radiohead before.

Momiji
01-27-2010, 01:59 PM
I've only heard a few songs, but I've grown rather fond of 'Paranoid Android'.

eestlinc
01-28-2010, 04:55 AM
Kid A is one of the best pop albums of all time. Buy it.

Levian
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
I was going to say whatever you do, don't start with Kid A. :D

*runs away from eestlinc*

Madame Adequate
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM
I recommend avoiding Radiohead at all costs.

demondude
01-28-2010, 06:12 PM
A bit irrelevant but I was born and raised in the same town all members of Radiohead were. I like The Bends most.

Rantz
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I recommend this (http://vimeo.com/8132302) in particular.

Most of Radiohead's stuff is good, though.

Ouch!
01-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I recommend avoiding this guy's recommendation at all costs.

I'm a bit weird in that OK Computer is my favorite Radiohead album, I guess. Then again, that's 'cause I've got a huge thing for "Electioneering."

Inferno
01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I recommend this (http://vimeo.com/8132302) in particular.
Not bad not bad ! Damien Rice's cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMv0uSvqSKs) is quite good too.

charliepanayi
01-28-2010, 09:06 PM

I'm a bit weird in that OK Computer is my favorite Radiohead album, I guess. Then again, that's 'cause I've got a huge thing for "Electioneering."

I don't think that's weird, it's still probably their most popular album. if you'd said Pablo Honey, THAT would have been weird :D

Ouch!
01-28-2010, 09:24 PM

I don't think that's weird, it's still probably their most popular album. if you'd said Pablo Honey, THAT would have been weird :D
I don't dislike Pablo Honey as much as everyone else seems to. It's just kind of meh.

eestlinc
01-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Pablo Honey is pretty good, and the rest of their albums are fantastic, but Kid A is a real masterpiece. I'm pretty weird in that I grew up mostly listening to classical music, but Kid A was the album that made me realize what great art can be made by "pop" musicians. I remember the day, in 2001, when I listened to it at for the first time at my friend Travis's house, and it blew my mind. Magic.

Jowy
01-31-2010, 01:13 AM
How To Disappear Completely.