PDA

View Full Version : School bans dictionary for vulgarity

Raistlin
01-26-2010, 02:06 AM
No, this is not from The Onion. (http://www.pe.com/localnews/menifee/stories/PE_News_Local_W_sdictionary22.414bdf0.html)

I did not think it was possible for me to be astonished by the obnoxiously retarded antics of school bureaucrats anymore, ever since a 13-year-old girl was stripped in a search for contraband Advil. I was wrong. I'm not sure if I want to laugh or go punch every single public school administrator in the country.

And where is this school district? No, not Texas. Not Florida. It's in California.

Rantz
01-26-2010, 02:54 AM
I... wow. I don't know what to even say about that.

Moon Rabbits
01-26-2010, 02:58 AM
Where's the "like" button?

Shlup
01-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Oh, Menifee, why am I not surprised? :exdee: To be fair, like 90% of Menifee is super old people.

How sad for them. I kept my big dictionary with the dirty words on purpose, so that when my students used them I could make them look up the word and copy the definition.

PuPu
01-26-2010, 03:10 AM
Ha, they're actually going to review and read through the entire dictionary.

Moon Rabbits
01-26-2010, 03:11 AM
Seriously, though, this is over "oral sex"? I was using waaaaaaaay more vulgar terms in elementary school, and I did not dun learn that stuff frum tha dictionary.

Raistlin
01-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Ha, they're actually going to review and read through the entire dictionary.

Yeah, that's almost a suitable punishment for being so retarded in the first place.

LunarWeaver
01-26-2010, 03:42 AM
I didn't know anyone bothered with an actual dictionary anymore. He stumbled across it, please.

Oral sex Definition | Definition of Oral sex at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oral+sex)

Am I going to be banned now?

rubah
01-26-2010, 03:43 AM
It's like they want kids to turn to their ignorant peers when they discover naughty words.

Rad Bromance
01-26-2010, 03:49 AM
Menifee may as well be Texas.

I don't know which is dumber though; this, or the people who wanted an Ebonics class students could take as a foreign language.

Vermachtnis
01-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Wow, just wow. That's the craziest thing I've heard in awhile.

Rodarian
01-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Wow...certain parents should grow up...

eestlinc
01-26-2010, 06:12 AM
if they would stick to single words like a self-respecting dictionary, there wouldn't be this problem.

Sephex
01-26-2010, 07:05 AM
I consider Texas, Florida, and California to be their own counties as it is. Further proof acquired!

Jiro
01-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Now we just wait until they decide it needs to be censored on the internet too.

Shiny
01-26-2010, 07:16 AM
I thought this was gonna be the c word (no not cunnilingus) or something else profane, but "oral sex"? Seriously? What the hell. I'm so upset by this that I'm gonna go have o**l s**.

theundeadhero
01-26-2010, 07:28 AM
I didn't know anyone bothered with an actual dictionary anymore. He stumbled across it, please.

Oral sex Definition | Definition of Oral sex at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/oral+sex)

Am I going to be banned now?Yes.

When I was in elementary school I got in trouble for looking up sex similar words in the dictionary.

Jiro
01-26-2010, 09:06 AM
I once had to write a hundred lines for saying the word "nads". From that point onwards I made sure I was explicit as possible :colbert:

qwertysaur
01-26-2010, 09:19 AM
Using a swear word in it's correct context is just like any other word. I want to make those people read Shakespeare and see if they try to ban that for having the word Bastard in a few of the plays :p

Rye
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I totally found dirty words in my dictionary too when I was that kid's age. And by dirty, I mean words that children should already be used to, like "homosexual" and "bisexual." Except for the fact that we live in a country where only a handful of states recognize gay marriage, and barely any even allow adoption by gay couples. :|

Please sexual education for young kids please! ;_;

missaira
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Oh, Menifee, why am I not surprised? :exdee: To be fair, like 90% of Menifee is super old people.

How sad for them. I kept my big dictionary with the dirty words on purpose, so that when my students used them I could make them look up the word and copy the definition.

That is awesome xD

Madame Adequate
01-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Reminds me of books like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 being banned. :p Congratulations on a truly epic achievement of stupidity.

rubah
01-26-2010, 04:08 PM
My children's french dictionary has a picture of two little kids (one boy one girl) laughing naked under a shower as it labels the parts of the body. I don't think oral sex is in there, though.

KentaRawr!
01-26-2010, 04:25 PM
My Mom put this quite nicely.

"People who ban books or any other piece of media are trying to deny some piece of reality."

And of all the things to deny. The dictionary.

Breine
01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Ridiculous.

That is all I have to say.

Psychotic
01-26-2010, 07:05 PM
The whole point of dictionaries in school is to look up naughty words anyway.

qwertysaur
01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Ever heard of the movement to ban dihydrogen monoxide? :p

Vermachtnis
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Why is that not banned yet!? We don't need that stuff seeping into our water and poisoning our water supply!

qwertysaur
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Why is that not banned yet!? We don't need that stuff seeping into our water and poisoning our water supply!
It's a weak acid, thousands of people die from it every year and is an industrial solvent too!

NorthernChaosGod
01-26-2010, 10:34 PM
That's just ridiculous. It's a dictionary, it's not encouraging them to go out and have promiscuous sex.

AntRid
01-26-2010, 10:58 PM
The whole point of dictionaries in school is to look up naughty words anyway.
Exactly. That’s the first thing your use a dictionary for.

It’s a good thing they didn’t look in the thesaurus.

Bastian
01-26-2010, 11:11 PM
While the absurdity of banning a dictionary makes for good comic one liners . . . one wonders why the district didn't have an elementary level dictionary at the elementary schools to begin with. That particular dictionary was a collegiate-level.

rubah
01-27-2010, 12:17 AM

It's a weak acid, thousands of people die from it every year and is an industrial solvent too!

I'm addicted to it :( I have to have eight doses a day just so I can function. DAMN DIHYDRO

Raistlin
01-27-2010, 01:52 AM
Dihydrogen monoxide must be banned! (http://www.dhmo.org/)

Rye
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
They found dihyrodgen monoxide in our bathrooms last term and it had to be closed off for investigation. :mad2:

I remember in 10th grade when my Biology teacher made that joke, I looked like such a freak since I was the only person who actually got it, so I was laughing a lot and everyone else was like "That's not funny, Jessica, Dihydrogen Monoxide is srs bidnizz. :|"

Raistlin
01-28-2010, 02:25 PM
You may have gotten it in 10th grade, but I distinctly remember you not getting it when I told it to you a few years ago. :p

I think Penn & Teller tried to get signatures to ban Dihydrogen monoxide. Or was that to ban women's suffrage (another hilarious one)? Good times.

KentaRawr!
01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
I really know I should get that joke, I know there's something off about the words "hydrogen" and "oxide", but I'm just drawing a blank. :(

Edit: It's water.

Mercen-X
01-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Seriously, though, this is over "oral sex"?
I'm packed and I'm holdin', I'm smilin', she's livin', she's golden, she lives me for me. She says she for me. Ovation. Her own motivation. She comes 'round and she "goes down on me".

When the world needs a pick-me-up, we can turn to the paranoid folk for a good laugh.

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2010, 12:54 AM
You may have gotten it in 10th grade, but I distinctly remember you not getting it when I told it to you a few years ago. :p

I think Penn & Teller tried to get signatures to ban Dihydrogen monoxide. Or was that to ban women's suffrage (another hilarious one)? Good times.

I don't remember if it was Penn & Teller, but I do recall watching a video online about a petition to end women's suffrage. It was hilarious.

Rad Bromance
01-29-2010, 03:29 AM

I don't remember if it was Penn & Teller, but I do recall watching a video online about a petition to end women's suffrage. It was hilarious.
I also remember seeing this, and I recall only one girl saying "WHAT? NO!".

I always found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS98FuKTPOk) pretty funny too.

Raistlin
01-29-2010, 03:35 AM
I found a youtube clip of the women's suffrage "petition," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIdC5vHfEjw) and it wasn't Penn & Teller (they must have done a dihydrogen monoxide one). Still amusing.

The one girl who says "no!" is at 2:32.

Vermachtnis
01-29-2010, 05:59 AM

I also remember seeing this, and I recall only one girl saying "WHAT? NO!".

I always found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS98FuKTPOk) pretty funny too.

Damn Kangaroos :mad2:

The Man
01-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Using a swear word in it's correct context is just like any other word. I want to make those people read Shakespeare and see if they try to ban that for having the word Bastard in a few of the plays :p

Yeah, about that. (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/theatre/article/755834--outraged-nashville-censors-try-to-gut-to-s-shakespeare?bn=1)

arcanedude34
01-29-2010, 06:37 AM
Wait, oral sex is in the dictionary? ...if the dictionary recognizes it, it must be okay, right? *runs off to have oral sex, get teen pregnant, get addicted to marijuana, and die tragically at the age of eighteen in a suicide bomb plane*

Seriously, what do they think that kids are going to get from this? If they're looking up the word, they obviously already know what it means and are just doing it for the "tehe" factor of looking up naughty words in school.

Raistlin
01-29-2010, 07:08 AM

Yeah, about that. (http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/theatre/article/755834--outraged-nashville-censors-try-to-gut-to-s-shakespeare?bn=1)

I hate people.

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2010, 08:46 AM
I found a youtube clip of the women's suffrage "petition," (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIdC5vHfEjw) and it wasn't Penn & Teller (they must have done a dihydrogen monoxide one). Still amusing.

The one girl who says "no!" is at 2:32.
YES! That's the video, it's lulzy. Those chicks are hella dumb.

I really, really hate people. I have almost no faith in humanity.

I bet they wouldn't have anything to say about Twilight.

Bunny
01-29-2010, 10:27 AM
I never really understood the big deal with swear words. They only have a negative reputation because they are given a negative reputation by society. They have power because the masses give them power. I curse because it gets the point across better than using another word with a similar definition.

Quindiana Jones
01-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I think Randy Freeman's name needs to be banned for the obvious sexual connotations. Children should not be exposed to such words.

krissy
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
CCPS pulls explicit text | Culpeper Star-Exponent (http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/local/article/ccps_pulls_explicit_text/51217/)

Raistlin
01-29-2010, 08:35 PM
CCPS pulls explicit text | Culpeper Star-Exponent (http://www2.starexponent.com/cse/news/local/article/ccps_pulls_explicit_text/51217/)

Good idea, because we wouldn't want 8th graders knowing what a vagina is.

krissy
01-29-2010, 09:21 PM
the more i think about it the more it makes sense actually
its just a version switch

Raistlin
01-29-2010, 09:30 PM
True, it's just a "version switch," but the one "version" is simply a censored copy of the original, and the justification for it is simply to remove anything sexual from the reading material. Which makes sense for 4th graders, but not for 13- and 14-year-olds.

NorthernChaosGod
01-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Wtf, how can you censor The Diary of Anne Frank? That's just fucked up.

qwertysaur
01-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Everyone, read banned books. It makes you cool

Tavrobel
01-31-2010, 12:22 AM
I curse because it gets the point across better than using another word with a similar definition.

Additionally, they reduce pain when used as interjections.

Raistlin
01-31-2010, 07:18 PM
You know who else disapproved of Anne Frank's vagina? HITLER! (http://www.popehat.com/2010/01/29/you-know-who-else-disapproved-of-anne-franks-vagina-hitler/)

Rad Bromance
01-31-2010, 08:21 PM
The only books I recall being banned from our school library were The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and To Kill A Mockingbird, both because they repeatedly used a particular word that no one likes very much. This was, of course, at my middle school. My high school had both.

Shame really, because I ended up reading To Kill A Mockingbird outside of school, while still in middle school, and loved it.

arcanedude34
02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
The only books I recall being banned from our school library were The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and To Kill A Mockingbird, both because they repeatedly used a particular word that no one likes very much. This was, of course, at my middle school. My high school had both.

Shame really, because I ended up reading To Kill A Mockingbird outside of school, while still in middle school, and loved it.
To ban To Kill a Mockingbird because of racial sensitivity is missing the point by about 180 degrees. To ban the dictionary because it has definitions of every word is missing the point by about 180 degrees as well.

Hey, I have an idea! Let's ban A Catcher in the Rye because it has swearing! Oh, wait...

Peegee
02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
It's like they want kids to turn to their ignorant peers when they discover naughty words.

Pretty much. I'm not being facetious here...and yes I know this is GC and not World Events.

If the school bans dictionaries with dirty words in it, it absolves all responsibility (at least, until another sauce is found) of them teaching children profanities. Children can learn that crap from each other -- the school can't control that.

It's all about covering their ass and not about bettering society. Fun times.

To ban To Kill a Mockingbird because of racial sensitivity is missing the point by about 180 degrees. To ban the dictionary because it has definitions of every word is missing the point by about 180 degrees as well.

Hey, I have an idea! Let's ban A Catcher in the Rye because it has swearing! Oh, wait...

*turns 360 degrees and walks away*

Vermachtnis
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
If you turn 360 degrees you're back where you started and are walking forward not away :p

Momiji
02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
You know who else disapproved of Anne Frank's vagina? HITLER! (http://www.popehat.com/2010/01/29/you-know-who-else-disapproved-of-anne-franks-vagina-hitler/)

Next they'll ban 'Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret'.

Oh, wait.

Tavrobel
02-02-2010, 03:41 AM
If you turn 360 degrees you're back where you started and are walking forward not away :p

I think that's supposed to be part of the joke, since he's responding to a sarcastic statement implying that we should ban Catcher in the Rye.

rubah
02-02-2010, 06:01 AM
I.. I don't remember that part of Diary of a Young Girl. I remember the hair on the bathtub, kissing her friend.

guess I need to reread it!

My class was going to read The Chocolate War in 7th grade, but a bunch of moms pitched a fit, so the class could choose to read Mutiny on the Bounty or some :bou::bou::bou::bou: instead.

The Man
02-03-2010, 05:54 AM
That's because it wasn't the version most people here read in school. The uncensored version only came out in the mid-1990s.