PDA

View Full Version : scruel.

Moon Rabbits
01-26-2010, 03:13 AM
Complain about school!

I hate how physically draining school is. Coming home at 10PM after a "day" of school and being too tired to study (lol) or do anything else. Also I hate spending the day before 3PM with the thought of "I have a one to two hour commute and five hours of lectures ahead of me."

Incidentally, I sometimes hate how emotionally draining my chosen academic path is. There is only so much rape, murder, and genocide I can read about in one sitting without wanting to cry/puke/sleep.

Shlup
01-26-2010, 03:21 AM
If I get started complaining about the American public school system I will never ever stop.

College was great though. Pick your own classes, learn what the professor tells you to learn, show up to lecture if you feel like it, and then eat noodles.

Raistlin
01-26-2010, 03:27 AM
Law school is a lot of work. Not only do I have work for classes, but I'm also trying out for the moot court team and trying to find a good summer job.

College was good times, though.

rubah
01-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Pick your own classes, learn what the professor tells you to learn, show up to lecture if you feel like it, and then eat noodles.

I guess the noodles part is true :cry:

Tavrobel
01-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Pick your own classes, learn what the professor tells you to learn, show up to lecture if you feel like it, and then eat noodles.

I guess the noodles part is true :cry:

Yeah, I definitely did not have a choice as to what classes I got to take. Technical classes were all set in order, and non-major required classes are only of the "free A" variety.

rubah
01-26-2010, 04:55 AM
the tricky party is when they give you free reign on classes to take but don't count the pre-reqs as part of your hours. >_> <_<

Unbreakable Will
01-26-2010, 05:12 AM
I've got a one hour commute. An 8 hr day, and horrible classes this semester. 'Nuff said
:colbert:

Tavrobel
01-26-2010, 05:14 AM
I've got a one hour commute. An 8 hr day, and horrible classes this semester. 'Nuff said

And it would appear that you still lose the "my schedule sucks the most" game. Sorry.

Bunny
01-26-2010, 05:38 AM
The only complaint I have is the amount of stupid people in my Psychology class.

Rodarian
01-26-2010, 05:58 AM
If I get started complaining about the American public school system I will never ever stop.

College was great though. Pick your own classes, learn what the professor tells you to learn, show up to lecture if you feel like it, and then eat noodles.

In the eight years of bachelors back to back.... the only thing true for me is noodles....Then they stopped selling themcer....

I resorted to cannibalism...

Jiro
01-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Eating noodles is the part that made me want to go to uni :p

The super strict compulsory attendance thing really annoyed me at high school. Sometimes :bou::bou::bou::bou: comes up and I'm really not in the mood to learn. So forcing me to be there just makes me distract everyone else. Usually I just went for a walk and then claimed emo when they asked where I was. I was already on counselling anyway~

Madame Adequate
01-26-2010, 09:18 AM
School sucked. Uni rocked at undergrad, and now is a lot less fun because my uni is super up itself and pretentious (I suppose that's the price you pay for going somewhere moderately prestigious, instead of the former poly that was my old uni. But which was considerably better.) and etc.

Oh and I'm poor, too. :p

Rye
01-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I love university. I just wish they were more organized - I would like to be able to have gone studying abroad knowing that the staff at both my home university and host university will be :bou::bou::bou::bou:, and half the classes I'll end up taking won't be for my major, for gen ed classes, and overall, not the classes I signed up for in the first place. I rather like how in England, it's kind of impossible to end up not getting credit from classes, at your home university or otherwise, unless you fail your class.

I also hate how expensive university is in general. That's mostly me griping though, because when I return from England, when I go back to college, I'm going to have to live at home again until next year, because my brother will be starting university. Ughhhhhhh.

But overall, it's great. I like it most of all because a professor, for the most part, appreciates someone who asks questions and actually feels for the material taught, rather than the person who just scores buttawesome grades on their SATs and stuff. I hated that about High School.

You'd see all these kids with these amazing SAT II grades, yet I was the only who actually engaged with the material and got it far more than anyone of those robots did. What is the point of history and literature if you don't feel anything from it? The day the SATs are gone will be a happy day, indeed. And this is coming from someone who ended up doing pretty well on it.

And because they appreciate such, I'M the one who is getting the good grades now. Robot-students can suck it.

EDIT:

@ Jiro - Hahaha, compulsory education. It's ironic how in university, where attendance isn't generally compulsory, I'm much more likely to attend. I took off so many days in High School. In my last year, you'd get a sheet telling you how many days you've missed, and how many days left until you lost credit for that class. You wouldn't believe how many days I just skipped, just to squeeze out those last few days I could miss. xD

My senior year mantra was pretty much "I got accepted to university, why am I still here?"

Jiro
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I've found that the classes at uni are far more engaging and enjoyable. 90% of people are there because they want to be there, so there isn't a bunch of people bringing the mood down and disrupting the learning because they hate school or whatever their gripe was.

The only reason I kept attending school was because I got bored at home, and some of my classes were interesting. If the subject matter was crap then I would often sleep through the class or go on walkies~ I actually helped out a few staff members while skipping classes xD

Unbreakable Will
01-26-2010, 12:08 PM

And it would appear that you still lose the "my schedule sucks the most" game. Sorry.
Surely your schedule can't be worse than; Music Appreciation, Biblical Studies (time filler), Child Psychology, and Popular American Culture.
:doublecolbert:

Jiro
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Maybe not topic wise. But his schedule is pretty :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Jessweeee♪
01-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I just don't like how they charge me five bucks for a tiny little bit of spoiled yogurt or a slightly larger thing of pudding with stale cake in it.

Tavrobel
01-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Surely your schedule can't be worse than; Music Appreciation, Biblical Studies (time filler), Child Psychology, and Popular American Culture.

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA ONLY FOUR CLASSES? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FORGIVE ME IF I DON'T BUST MY SPLEEN OPEN

Add six credits and get a job, then we can talk. Maybe you would like your classes more if you, I don't know, did a major that you liked? Or you could try picking the classes that were interesting instead of chasing a high GPA? If you're only taking four classes, then you've got room for whatever it is that you want to take. I can only assume that your major offers that kind of flexibility. Mine certainly did before I tacked on my intended second degree.

Unbreakable Will
01-26-2010, 04:48 PM

HAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA ONLY FOUR CLASSES? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FORGIVE ME IF I DON'T BUST MY SPLEEN OPEN

Add six credits and get a job, then we can talk. Maybe you would like your classes more if you, I don't know, did a major that you liked? Or you could try picking the classes that were interesting instead of chasing a high GPA? If you're only taking four classes, then you've got room for whatever it is that you want to take. I can only assume that your major offers that kind of flexibility. Mine certainly did before I tacked on my intended second degree.
Heh, well I actually needed the Music app, and the child psychology. And Im working on getting a substitute teaching job in my county, I just need approval from my graduating h.s. and I'll have a high demand job (especially within my area), but yeah I see where you're coming from though, but to me its tiring and slightly hectic.

Rye
01-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Child Psychology was my favorite class I ever took! I love education classes, but I can appreciate how the music class is difficult. I was a music major for a week and quickly changed major. It has a credit requirement up there with Engineering majors, and it's just :bou::bou::bou::bou:, because most music department teachers are awful and petty and up their own asses. Best decision ever~

Old Manus
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
School was :bou::bou::bou::bou: because I had to wake up early in the morning. I arrived at University looking forward to staying in bed until 1pm only to discover I'm still attending lectures at 9am every day. YOU LIED, TOADSWORTH

qwertysaur
01-26-2010, 06:58 PM
The SAT's are evil. They can go die in a flaming pit of doom and despair.

I like university level classes much more than high school, because they are more engaging and actually make me pay attention most of the time. I slept through half of my high school classes and still had the highest grade in the class. And if you look in the right places you can take some really cool classes. my friend is taking Xenobiology this semester.

Also never take more than two science classes a semester. Labs are ugh. Three hours each for a lab, it piles up very rapidly. D:

Jessweeee♪
01-26-2010, 07:16 PM
School was :bou::bou::bou::bou: because I had to wake up early in the morning. I arrived at University looking forward to staying in bed until 1pm only to discover I'm still attending lectures at 9am every day. YOU LIED, TOADSWORTH

Grrah I know. I was all like, yaaaay noon classes because I only had to take a few and I could just schedule those in the afternoon. Maybe even take Fridays off. But it turns out all of my classes are offered at two afternoon time slots.

I heard from my Psychology teacher that they didn't even have Friday classes the semester before I got here. Because of the low attendance rate, they just increased the hours spent the rest of the week and stopped offering Friday classes. The students loved it, the teachers loved it, everyone involved with the school was happy with it, but the townspeople were totally against it. Turns out all of the local businesses were crushed by town being empty on weekends xD

Zeldy
01-26-2010, 09:15 PM
My college is just like school. Attendance has to be 95%+ otherwise you get into trouble, you have to meet deadlines, blahhhhh. I knew that when I came this college though, and I generally like my subjects. (Sociology, English Literature, Photography). I do wish Photography would just erase its self from my timetable though. Je deteste.

Food is so expensive though! They rise the prices every year, and a bottle of coke became £1.10 and there was such a revolt that prices all went back down as our student council ordered a strike.

Tavrobel
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Also never take more than two science classes a semester.

You, my university's Chem E department, and my university's Bio E department should have a chat.

rubah
01-27-2010, 12:21 AM
one of my labs is slotted for four hours a week T_T but I don't think we'll ever be in there longer than three. And I get to learn how to machine stuff!

black orb
01-27-2010, 12:30 AM
>>> School sucked, the only good thing about it were all the girls in those tight/skirts uniforms..:luca:
Looks like public schools in USA doesnt have uniforms (what a bummer).

College sucked even more..

~*~Celes~*~
01-27-2010, 12:39 AM

They're certainly trying to push it in some schools though. There was talk of it at my school, but I have yet to see it happen.

I can't wait until I finally start college. :D

Jessweeee♪
01-27-2010, 12:46 AM
>>> School sucked, the only good thing about it were all the girls in those tight/skirts uniforms..:luca:

College sucked even more..

Most of them have a dress code that's even worse. At least in uniforms you look nice, but with dress codes you could end up with a school that demands both khaki pants and red polo shirts. It's ugly! Once I mistook this girl attending a rival school with those very colors as a Target employee and asked for her assistance ;_;

Raistlin
01-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Most of them have a dress code that's even worse.

Most public schools don't have a dress code, as far as I know. They are predominant in certain areas, though.

Jessweeee♪
01-27-2010, 02:45 AM
Most of them have a dress code that's even worse.

Most public schools don't have a dress code, as far as I know. They are predominant in certain areas, though.

You mean I'm just unlucky ;_;

rubah
01-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Our dress code was almost ridiculous

No flip flops
no "unnaturally" colored hair
no sleeveless shirts
no baggy pants
skirts and shorts' hemline can't be more than 6 inches above your knee
no piercings besides ears
no vulgarity on t-shirts
etc

Moon Rabbits
01-27-2010, 04:50 PM

No flip flops
no sleeveless shirts
no baggy pants
no vulgarity on t-shirts
etc

What? I would have been kicked out of your school the first time I came wearing makeup ... or maybe after getting my lips pierced, or my arms tattooed.

I guess I always took it for granted that I was allowed to walk around my highschool with my chest / arm tattoos showing and all my piercings in. :jess:

I can understand the "no skirts above ..." and "no vulgarity on tshirts" stuff, maybe sort of, but the rest of it is ridiculous.

rubah
01-27-2010, 11:34 PM
oh yeah, no visible tattoos. Forgot about that one.

And when guys wore makeup (usually eyeliner) they were heavily reprimanded by the principal.

Rye
01-27-2010, 11:54 PM

No flip flops
no sleeveless shirts
no baggy pants
no vulgarity on t-shirts
etc

Really? =O I'm shocked about the hair color one. I've never heard of a school outside of Japan doing that.

My dress code was... well... there was none. As long as you were dressed, it was pretty okay. I think a bitchy teacher yelled at me once for a strapless top, but that as it. It was pretty cool.

Shoeberto
01-27-2010, 11:57 PM

No flip flops
no sleeveless shirts
no baggy pants
no vulgarity on t-shirts
etc

Really? =O I'm shocked about the hair color one. I've never heard of a school outside of Japan doing that.

It was the same for me in high school, with the no unnaturally colored hair. Also, shirts that girls wore had to have straps that were at least two fingers thick, shorts/skirts had to go at least down to below where your hands rested on your sides, etc etc. It really was pretty strict and kinda absurd.

Rye
01-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Half of those things would totally not work in my school. I had a few teachers with heavy tattoos, nose piercings, very dyed hair, etc. XD

We had that skirt rule - technically. But no one really ever bothered. It more really depended on the body type of the person. If a skinny boy-body girl was wearing a mega short skirt, no one cared, because there was nothing to even see. But if a heavy girl wore a shorter skirt, they'd get called away, because it's a lot more noticeable and... fleshy! Same with cleavage. Two girls could wear the same top, but if one girl had mega-tatas, she'd get yelled at. Probably not fair, but I guess I can see where they're coming from.

rubah
01-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Yes, but stu and I lived in two districts of Conservatopia.

qwertysaur
01-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Dress code from High school.
No vulgarity on shirts.
Keep your underwear from showing.
No big hats.

Dress code for college: Wear clothes. This is actually in the handbook we got at orientation. xD

Madame Adequate
01-28-2010, 10:02 AM
My schedule was worse than anyone else ever and if you claim otherwise you are a liar, I have it worst and this proves that I am the most intelligent :colbert:

In other news my schools all had uniforms, but the enforcement of such got progressively less as time went on. By the middle of HS only the bitchface French teacher gave a :bou::bou::bou::bou: anymore. I was going in with a bleached mohawk, teal hair, trenchcoat, etc. etc. and I can only recall a couple of people who actually wore their uniform properly. The best managed by the rest of us was a color scheme which happened to match.

Rye
01-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, but stu and I lived in two districts of Conservatopia.

I'm actually really interested now in everyone's dress codes. I wonder if there's a website that lists school dress codes nation wide. I wonder which school is most conservative.

Ironically, though we had barely any dress-code, our Halloween was taken away because people dressed "inappropriately." :(