PDA

View Full Version : Tea

KentaRawr!
01-27-2010, 05:13 PM
So, I don't consider myself a tea person, but I've enjoyed tea before. Right now, there's a bottled tea sitting next to me under the brand "Honest Tea". In subtitles, "Real Tea. Real Taste. Honest."

I looked in the bottle. I noticed a lot of little pieces of matter floating about in my drink. I recalled a science lesson I had where the definition of a saturated solution was given. A saturated solution, according to my old science teacher, is a solution that can hold no more of the solvent. I tested to see if it was really saturated, or simply not mixed well. I shook the bottle. It got bubbly... Like soapy water. The matter didn't float back down, however. I decided I'd take a taste. Much to my dismay, this tea tastes like crap. I decided I'd do what any normal person does when their tea tastes this way. I put in some sugar!

The sugar, after mixing, simply sank to the bottom.

Is this truly an honest tea? Am I being lied to? Is it all a conspiracy?

Help.

Edit: After finishing this bottle of Honest Tea, I tried some tea from our tin of tea bags. I chose a green tea. After letting the teabag sit in the hot water for 4 minutes, I took a sip. I didn't like the flavor, but I find the tea enjoyable anyhow. The flavor actually seemed very similar to what I had in the bottle, which makes sense, because it's also a green tea. Also, I looked at the side of the bottle, and the second ingredient listed is organic cane sugar. I think this is why I saw some of my own sugar sink to the bottom when I tried to add more.

Since a topic isn't really outright stated from the original post, I'll add one. Do you like tea?

Agent Proto
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
I haven't had Honest Tea, but I did a bit of research and found out that the floating material in your drink is actually leftover residue from the tea leaves used to make the drink, since the drink is made from real tea leaves, according to the website's FAQ.

Aurey
01-27-2010, 05:41 PM
The part where you added sugar to it made me cringe. Too much sugar in my tea, bottled or regular, is so so nasty imo.

Rodarian
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
I drink the good old fashion tea with milk and sugar. I usually drink all types of tea but 'doodh pathi' are the best!

As for the one you described...I'll stay from it!!

rubah
01-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Tea is supposed to bubble. tea is supposed to have some amount of solid particulate (tea leaves). You aren't a tea person, so your idea of tea is probably skewed by soft drink flavors, so I'm not surprised you'd add sugar. Try honey next time, or lemon.

KentaRawr!
01-27-2010, 06:24 PM
I see. Tell me more about tea. My only experiences with tea have been in these bottles, as well as teabags that my Mom obtains from places I don't know.

Shlup
01-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Aren't the ingredients listed on the bottle??

I am a big fan of hot teas, but can't stand iced teas at all. And I hate sugar in them. A friend of mind recently gave me pounds and pounds of strange teas from China and they are marvelous. All herbals too. My favorite is chrysanthemum. Sugar ruins it.

Rantz
01-27-2010, 06:36 PM
I can clearly see rubah will be my representant in this question.

Jessweeee♪
01-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I like unsweetened iced tea. Sugar is okay, I just don't like it when there's so much sugar it tastes like cola that's been sitting out and open for a day or two. As far as soft drinks go, I quite like Snapple's peach tea.

Breine
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
I like all kinds of tea, although I don't drink iced tea that much.. almost never actually.

I often drink hot tea.

Jess
01-27-2010, 09:21 PM
The idea of iced tea grosses me out. yuck!

Hot water, tea bag, sugar & milk on the other hand... mmmmmmmmm. I drink a couple of cups a day, generally. :jess:

Zeldy
01-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Typhoo teabag, one sugar, one sweetener, hot water, whole milk = :heart:

Rye
01-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Huge fan of iced tea (I even work for an iced tea company - free iced tea forever!! Iced tea on tap!), and I've recently found a few hot teas I like, though for the most part tea makes me feel somewhat ill.

I like honey lemon tea and blueberry tea. No milk, a bit of sugar.

theundeadhero
01-27-2010, 09:54 PM
I only like old fashioned southern sweet tea and that's if it's brewed strong and not too sweet. Weak tea is disgusting and I've never tried any of the fancy flavors I liked.

Tavrobel
01-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I'll stick to my hot, flower-brewed caffeine shots that taste really bad compared to soda, thanks.

However, honey tends to do all sorts of wonderful things to tea that doesn't come from a bottle. Listen to rubah. She's smarter than you.

KentaRawr!
01-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Listen to rubah. She's smarter than you.

:(

Momiji
01-27-2010, 10:00 PM
I like tea in pretty much any form, except for lukewarm. Yuck.

Tavrobel
01-27-2010, 10:01 PM

The plural "you," referring to everyone. Sorry about that. English sucks.

rubah
01-27-2010, 11:33 PM
You know, I had a nice long post typed here to explain about the difference between hot teas and iced teas, but lola decided to load tavrobel's profile, and quick reply loses your post when you load a page, so. . .

You'll just have to remain ignorant. My cat does not want you to be tea-literate.

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I, like any other red-blooded American, drink coffee and not tea. :cool:

Raistlin
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM
I enjoy some hot teas occasionally, but I cannot stand iced tea. It's just gross.

KentaRawr!
01-28-2010, 02:09 AM

Why not say "She's smarter than all of you"?

Tavrobel
01-28-2010, 02:27 AM

It's a slightly shorter, pithier statement.

rubah
01-28-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm open for Zen advice giving, btw.

*sits on mountain top*

Momiji
01-28-2010, 02:40 AM

because lexical ambiguity is what cool kids use

Tavrobel
01-28-2010, 02:44 AM
You know it would've been easier if I had just let you (as in you, Kentarou, singular "you," in the direct address to remove all ambiguity) be all sadface by letting you (again, direct address) believe that I had attempted to personally insult you (second person, singular).

Now I know better. It's easier just to be a jerk, then when one gets analyzed, said person doesn't have to apologize for anything.

rubah
01-28-2010, 02:47 AM
sometimes the impediment to understanding is virtue.

KentaRawr!
01-28-2010, 02:53 AM
Yeah, totally.

By the way, Rubah, what is your favorite brand of tea bag?

Shiny
01-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Earl Grey tea is yummy.

Shlup
01-28-2010, 03:22 AM

Don't feel bad, it's true for most people.

AntRid
01-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Earl Grey tea is yummy.

I want to try that but the people I talk to tell me its rubbish.

I’m a hot chocolate guy but when it’s not available I go for English Breakfast tea.

rubah
01-28-2010, 06:58 AM
To be a snail is to understand the beauty of a wall.

I haven't done a lot of brand comparisons, kenta, but I usually find myself buying Bigelow. I guess it catches my eye best.

KentaRawr!
01-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Is it the tea that's in the bag, or the bag that's outside the tea? Is the water the one that's hot, or the hand the one that's cold?

rubah
01-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Go get your own mountain top >:[

Every advantage we gain comes ultimately at the expense of all life.

KentaRawr!
01-28-2010, 04:14 PM
Every sacrifice has its true origin in gain, just as gain has its true origin in sacrifice.

What kind of tea should I drink to reflect that?

rubah
01-28-2010, 04:20 PM
definitely gunpowder tea

the cost of fame is a cage.

KentaRawr!
01-28-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd never heard of gunpowder tea before. What is the ideal way to prepare it?

Also, I can't think of a good response to your zen.

qwertysaur
01-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Tea is delicious. :p

Fujiko
01-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Omg, tea = life :love::love::love:

~*~Celes~*~
01-29-2010, 05:15 AM
I LOVE sweetened iced tea :D

Mo-Nercy
02-04-2010, 06:17 AM
Tea is good fun. Milk tea is especially awesome. Kooky stuff like sesame flavoured milk tea with tapioca pearls r0x0rz.

Bringer87
02-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Avoid Starbucks herbal tea unless you are due for a colonoscopy.

I am a tea drinker, good ole fashioned southern sweet tea. It is about 93% of my fluid intake. 5% is made up of energy drinks(doubleshot espresso shooters included, but generally NOS...energy drinks make up more in the summer when I play softball). Beer is not included because I dont drink every day.

Fast food places that have good sweat tea: Sonic, McDonalds, Long John Silvers, Arbys(and they sell theirs in gallon jugs to take home for future enjoyment), Waffle House, Steak and Shake if you can find it, Subway, and occassionally Dairy Queen.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Green Tea, Oolong, White, etc...So far I haven't met a herbal tea that I do not like.

BTW homemade Chai is AMAZING. My coworkers make it from time to time, so tasty and good. Warms you right up!

blackmage_nuke
02-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I love tea but cant make a good cup of green tea for the life of me so I stick with black

KentaRawr!
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Omg, tea = life :love::love::love:

Best Zen so far.

Unbreakable Will
02-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Avoid Starbucks herbal tea unless you are due for a colonoscopy.
*facepalm*
I don't drink much tea, I hate HATE sweet iced tea. I like the Green Tea with milk and honey that my grandad makes though.

Pure Aerisbeauty7
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I like tea with coffee creamer and sugar. It's very sweet.:):snuggle:

Kamiko
02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I like all tea, but chai and rooibos teas are my favorite. I love to go to Teavana. It is glorious.

Bastian
02-06-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm a tea-a-holic.

I drink at least a cup of green tea every day. And usually a cup of Irish Breakfast tea. And sometimes for desert a peach or apricot tea.

I also love chai tea, but it's not as healthy as the others I drink.

rubah
02-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Between music and silence, choose silence, for then you can hear the music of the spheres.

Tavrobel
02-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Kilonewtons and meters, kilopascals; but, newtons and millimeters, not kilopascals.

#5.5

rubah
02-06-2010, 08:12 AM
A slug is the mass that can be accelerated to 1 ft/s<sup>2</sup> by a force of 1 lbf.
-ICJ

(a pound-mass is the mass that can be accelerated to g by a force of 1 lbf)

A slug is a garden pest
-RJC

Momiji
02-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Fast food places that have good sweat tea: Sonic, McDonalds, Long John Silvers, Arbys(and they sell theirs in gallon jugs to take home for future enjoyment), Waffle House, Steak and Shake if you can find it, Subway, and occassionally Dairy Queen.

Fast food places that have good sweat tea:

good sweat tea:

sweat tea

<sup>tea?</sup>`(ヽ^ヮ^)ー日     ゛~(゜~<sup><</sup>;)ヽ´<sup>please no</sup>

KentaRawr!
02-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Between music and silence, choose silence, for then you can hear the music of the spheres.

I'm assuming "spheres" refers to planets.

What tea best fits that zen?

Shlup
02-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm up to at least five cups of hot tea a day now.

I pee a lot.

NorthernChaosGod
02-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I pee a lot.

Good information to know.

demondude
02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
I recently spilt tea all down myself and experienced some major pwnage by the tea gods. It went right through my clothes, but luckily I didn't get burns.

In short: fuck tea.

Agent Proto
02-06-2010, 10:51 PM

Fast food places that have good sweat tea:

good sweat tea:

sweat tea

<sup>tea?</sup>`(ヽ^ヮ^)ー日     ゛~(゜~<sup><</sup>;)ヽ´<sup>please no</sup>

You're not the only one who have caught that. Sweat tea is nasty. :P

Last week, I tried to make hot red tea, it turned out red like it said it would, but I disliked the taste so much. It had a very odd taste to it, I couldn't stand it. I dumped it in the sink. :(