PDA

View Full Version : Bugs and Glitches

Jessweeee♪
01-27-2010, 10:26 PM
I find them fascinating! One little bit of garbage data can produce such strange results!

Talk about your favorite bugs, your experiences with them, and even weird things you encountered with a game shark!

Personally I find FFVI's sketch bug and the infamous missingno (and really any other Pokemon bug xD) to be the most interesting. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try sketch :(

As far as Gameshark fun goes, my favorite would have to be using weapons in Tomb Raider II in Lara's Home, where you shouldn't ever have any (not counting the end of the game). If something doesn't mess up when you draw a weapon, it will when you fire it. Once I pulled out pistols and her hands and her head were replaced with more Lara butts. I think there was a time I tried pulling the harpoon out in the pool and she got stuck in her drowning animation. Once she was pierced by some white pyramid when I drew a weapon. So she ran around with a white pyramid sticking out of her boobs until I fired, then her arms just flailed around like she was having an episode of some sort.

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Glitches and bugs are sweet, and my favorite is definitely missingno as well. It made finishing the pokedex a breeze. :D

That and finding Mew using the Abra trick. Good times.

Depression Moon
01-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Missing No. I think everyone here knows that. Outside of that I know a couple in Team Fortress 2 and Uncharted 2 although the Uncharted ones were nixed, which made me mad, because it felt like it was just my little secret considering I never found anyone online using it that wasn't on my friends list.

NorthernChaosGod
01-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Some other fun ones are the homing with the sword or rocket launcher in Halo 2.

We had good times flying up to the top of Coagulation using no vehicles. :cool:

MJN SEIFER
02-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Screen Warp in the original (Non DX) version of Zelda: Link's Awakening. To do it, you press [select] as you go from one screen to another - it makes you appear on the same side you left on (basically if you leave on the right, you'll start on the right in the next screen). This glitch can be used to get into places you shouldn't be able to get to yet, or even better, places you can't go to at all.

This can severly mess up your game if abused though, two examples I found both rely on the fact that if you Screen Warp towards an area that has a door at the top of the the screen you're heading to you will enter the door and the next screen at the same time, and wind up in some weird glitch land - in this area you can pick up the same item again and again (just leave and then come back), and if you collect too many "Pieces of Heart" the game overloads, and everything but Link and a few other things are deleted and the game is just white.

The second risk is that if you pick up certain items while in the glitch land the game will just go haywire (the music will speed up, the screen will go blury and then the game will just go blank) this will do one of three things;

1. Just reset the game to the Save Menu.
2. Delete all saves so you have to start again.
3. Overwrite your saves.

If #3 occurs the saves will all have weird names (mostly the same letter/symbol) have a lot of hearts, and start of somewhere in the mountain range with a ghost in the middle of the screne (but you can't get to it) you will have multiple copies on whatever item you last picked up and nothing else. Both of these happened to me, and I managed to "cure" my game by taking the game out and then putting it back in again. I wouldn't recomend it unless you know what you're doing. (I am thinking of researching it more, but I will get the DX version first incase I destroy the original).

Vermachtnis
02-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Missingno and Glitch City in Red and Blue were fun. But 'M was creepy. It was like a zombie virus that turned everything to 'M.

There's that Dash Jump in Metroid Prime that let you get the Space Jump first. And fun times were had by all.

NorthernChaosGod
02-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Screen Warp in the original (Non DX) version of Zelda: Link's Awakening. To do it, you press [select] as you go from one screen to another - it makes you appear on the same side you left on (basically if you leave on the right, you'll start on the right in the next screen). This glitch can be used to get into places you shouldn't be able to get to yet, or even better, places you can't go to at all.

This can severly mess up your game if abused though, two examples I found both rely on the fact that if you Screen Warp towards an area that has a door at the top of the the screen you're heading to you will enter the door and the next screen at the same time, and wind up in some weird glitch land - in this area you can pick up the same item again and again (just leave and then come back), and if you collect too many "Pieces of Heart" the game overloads, and everything but Link and a few other things are deleted and the game is just white.

The second risk is that if you pick up certain items while in the glitch land the game will just go haywire (the music will speed up, the screen will go blury and then the game will just go blank) this will do one of three things;

1. Just reset the game to the Save Menu.
2. Delete all saves so you have to start again.
3. Overwrite your saves.

If #3 occurs the saves will all have weird names (mostly the same letter/symbol) have a lot of hearts, and start of somewhere in the mountain range with a ghost in the middle of the screne (but you can't get to it) you will have multiple copies on whatever item you last picked up and nothing else. Both of these happened to me, and I managed to "cure" my game by taking the game out and then putting it back in again. I wouldn't recomend it unless you know what you're doing. (I am thinking of researching it more, but I will get the DX version first incase I destroy the original).

This sounds pretty sweet, I'll have to try it out when I find my cart.

Or will it work on an emulator?

Slothy
02-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Missing No. I think everyone here knows that. Outside of that I know a couple in Team Fortress 2 and Uncharted 2 although the Uncharted ones were nixed, which made me mad, because it felt like it was just my little secret considering I never found anyone online using it that wasn't on my friends list.

Missing No is certainly an old favourite of mine. Probably the glitch I abused the most heavily in any game ever.

Just out of curiosity, what were the Uncharted 2 glitches you knew of? I knew a few instances where you could basically abuse the AI in co-op though I wouldn't really call them glitches. Aside from that I don't recall any. Then again, I haven't played since November so maybe they were discovered after I stopped.

Depression Moon
02-19-2010, 12:05 AM
Uncharted 2 glitch that used to be there, because Naughty Dog got rid of almost all of them, was at the Lost City battle Map. In that area where the sniper rifle is, but the above ground that you have to get to first if you're coming from your base, you can actually hide inside the wall and shoot people through it. It was nearly perfect since you can see everybody clearly and if you had a sniper rifle you could shoot anyone from anyplace even behind cover.

Only issue is that you can't carry extra ammo in there. Another one I found was at the train wreck you could do the same thing there, but in the ground and you could also hide in one of those boxes, but that was useless.

Zeromus_X
02-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Missingno. and the Sketch bug are some of my favorites too. I like any glitches that can help you get extra items or money, etc...FFVII's W-Item was pretty nice, so was Persona 3's Homonculus bug (shame they took it out of FES).

Momiji
02-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Gonna have to go with Missingno. as well.

Skyblade
02-19-2010, 12:42 PM
There are some glitches in Mass Effect I use to get infinite Paragon/Renegade points.

Missingno, of course. Only way to get Mew without Pokemon events or cheating. Heck yes I used it.

Momiji
02-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Missingno, of course. Only way to get Mew without Pokemon events or cheating. Heck yes I used it.

That's not true. There's a Mew glitch that only requires an Abra to get, and you can get it before you fight Misty.

leader of mortals
02-19-2010, 05:38 PM

That's not true. There's a Mew glitch that only requires an Abra to get, and you can get it before you fight Misty.

Or the glitch with fly which I always use

Skyblade
02-19-2010, 06:32 PM
I'd totally forgotten about the Abra glitch. It's been too long.

NorthernChaosGod
02-19-2010, 11:41 PM

I totally did this to get myself one and one to trade with my friend.

Depression Moon
02-20-2010, 12:09 AM
I'd totally forgotten about the Abra glitch. It's been too long.

I never new about a mew glitch or a whatcha call it? a Red/Ble City. I was always told that the only way to get a Mew was to enter a big tournament and if you win it will be installed on your game as a prize.

Momiji
02-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Suddenly, enlightenment! (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch)

Mirage
02-20-2010, 05:46 AM
Fallout 3 Havok bugs (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/ScreenShot10.jpg) are always fun. And let's not forget the robot reassembly bug (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/ScreenShot12.jpg).

Captain Maxx Power
02-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Shadow of the Colossus is probably the most intriguing I've found in this respect. There's a LOT of redundant map data present in the game and some of the stuff people have found is fascinating. It appears that there's even some areas that were in the midst of being implemented but aren't accessible without using glitches and the like.

Mo-Nercy
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
Using W-Item in FFVII to get 100 Megalixers was pretty damn useful. It also saved a lot of gil on Sylkis Greens, making getting a Gold Chocobo a much easier process. Costa Del Sol mansion was mine as a result.

I'm also going to be especially geeky and comment on a glitch in the original Tekken 5 for arcade (before the 5.1 patch fixed it) that made Heihachi a bitch to fight against. 1+2 (his little short-range 'hadoken') came out in less frames than the fastest jab of anyone else so if you 1,2,1+2-ed and your opponent blocked, you could 1+2 again 100% confident that their only options are block again or get hit. Jin used to be more abusable in Tekken 4 with the last hit of b,f+2,1,uf+2 being unblockable and really hard to sidestep.

Oh yes. And Missing No.

Lawr
02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
In before Missingno.

Momiji
02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
In before Missingno.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/1188893626158.jpg

Lawr
02-21-2010, 05:09 PM
In before Missingno.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll65/momijitsukuyomi/1188893626158.jpg

That was the joke.

Momiji
02-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I know.

i just wanted an excuse to use that image, I've had it for ages and never had the opportunity :x

Vyk
02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Someone want to give a little explanation of missingno? Not a big Pokefan

A glitch that I never forget for some reason was in Beyond Good and Evil I was in some sewers or something and you had to jump down in these openings to hide while the guards passed and one of them I jumped into glitched and I fell through the floor into eternity. I think a lot of games have that kinda glitch. They're rare to hit and don't usually happen more than once. But I've heard of others. It was interesting to watch

Lawr
02-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Someone want to give a little explanation of missingno? Not a big Pokefan

Bulbapedia to the rescue! (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Missingno)
I don't think...you want to read a long wiki article though.

But basically when you encounter Missingno. after doing whatever it is you have to do to encounter it, you'll have 128 of the 6<sup>th</sup> item in your inventory, if I remember correctly. The wiki article gets into more detail of course!

Parker
02-21-2010, 11:59 PM
There was a cool one in Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 where you could bail in a bowl and then just sort of fly around the bottom of the bowl doing the bail animation for hours.

Meat Puppet
02-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Death spots are always invaluable to know in Left 4 Dead when I want to mess with the other team, or even people on my team if I’m playing with strangers. I love to collapse dead in a safe room and act surprised as if the other team were cheating... it freaks some people out.

Jowy
02-22-2010, 12:08 AM
One time I was playing FFV on the Anthology disc. Started a new game, went to the ship after the wind shrine, and somehow got to Crescent Isle. I got Bard and Archer way too fuckin' early.

I Took the Red Pill
02-22-2010, 02:21 AM
I loved the Oblivion glitch where you'd draw an arrow, pause it, drop something from your inventory, unpause, release arrow, and make thousands of copies of that item.

Meat Puppet
02-22-2010, 11:10 AM
The glitch where you get welded into a fence for no apparent reason is also quite delightful (originally was in Morrowind and I guess brought into Oblivion by popular demand).

BG-57
02-27-2010, 03:14 PM
The PSX version of FFT had a sweet weapon duplication glitch where you could copy rare and powerful weapons for 10 Gil a pop. It totally changes the dynamics of some jobs like Samurai, where the katanas randomly break and the best ones are hard to get. Or if it you want a whole party weilding Excaliburs.

Depression Moon
03-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Here's a glitch that my little brother discovered in Brawl.

YouTube - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Giant JigglyPuff Glitch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCb7eqg3VVI)

Lionx
03-09-2010, 03:18 AM
YouTube - Capcom Vs. SNK 2 - Roll Cancelling Video (2001) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VORPm8B8BXY)

Its tournament legal too if you have the execution to pull it off :D

Mirage
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM
But if you can't pull it off, it's illegal!

Quindiana Jones
03-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I loved the Oblivion glitch where you'd draw an arrow, pause it, drop something from your inventory, unpause, release arrow, and make thousands of copies of that item.

This has been fixed, and replaced with a different duplication glitch. It's EVEN quicker and easier now. xD