PDA

View Full Version : Braid

Imperfectionist
01-28-2010, 12:35 AM
I've just finished this game after buying it out of curiosity - there was just so many good reviews and what can I say, I love my puzzle games :D

But i'm not sure it's all it was cracked up to be... I mean it is a stunningly beautiful game with some really great music, and some of the puzzles are pretty clever, but what really drove me to buy it was this mysterious, incredible, mature storyline that everyone kept goin on about. Granted, I loved following it but by the end I was just quite confused and I had to look up what the hell it meant. The only bit I thought was kinda clever on face value was the part where you're chasing the princess at the end to save her, and then it all changes and really she's running away. That was kinda cool :p Am I the only one? Did I just miss the whole point or something?

JKTrix
01-28-2010, 01:47 AM
He is a stalker. The last level should be a hint--everything you read, flip its meaning around.

Imperfectionist
01-28-2010, 02:29 PM
But i've read all these theories and stuff that actually he is supposed to be the guy that created the atomic bomb and that the princess is a metaphor for the bomb it's interesting stuff and the links are there, but i was just dissapointed cos there was no way id ever figure that out on my own

JKTrix
01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
I personally feel the creator was getting way to pretentious with his little game. I've said in other venues that stories don't mean that much to me, and the little superficial 'twist' of Braid at the end was all I really needed to be satisfied by it. I have played other games that were far simpler in their storytelling (often with no text at all) that have still had profound messages.

I don't like Braid for its story. I like it for its unique twist on the platforming gameplay formula. The story would actually be a minus to me if I paid much attention to it.

(I also don't like reading fanfiction and most people's poetry, so I guess much of it stems from that. When I get the impression that someone is 'trying too hard' it just turns me off.)

AntRid
01-28-2010, 10:49 PM
I didn’t pay much notice to the story. I played it mainly for the puzzles. That’s what its about after all.