PDA

View Full Version : White Knight Chronicles

Yeargdribble
01-29-2010, 05:26 PM
So this is coming soon, yet there's no thread about it. I'm quite excited and to be honest, maybe more so about this than FFXIII. Some of the online stuff might be fun with some EOFFers. Anyone have opinions on this? Am I the only one excited?

Bolivar
01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty excited for it but it's a game I'm going to have to wait a little while to pick up. It looks really great but the little time I had with at PAX didn't allow me to get into the combat system. I don't want to have to hit X more than once or twice for each encounter, so IDK. There really hasn't been enough info on it to me, even those trailers they put out explaining it.

The online seems great, though, lots of quests to partner up on, and with your own custom character it's probably gonna be great. The idea of building your own custom town, filling it with merchants and people, and going there with you and your friends is a big seller for me.

So I probably won't be getting it right away, but it seems like it'll be a real blast when I actually do.

Yeargdribble
01-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I agree the information is scarce from official sources. I've been following some old threads on other forums where people have really dug in and several have been playing the import version. These first person accounts are what's really selling me. The world and battle system are supposed to be pretty similar to FFXII and I've even heard people draw some Monster Hunter comparisons with some aspects of the game.

I really loved the world of FFXII even if I didn't like the story, so if it's even that similar I'm pretty sold.

JKTrix
01-30-2010, 01:36 AM
I was really digging it back when it was new, but now not so much. I've lowered my expectations considerably so that when I do rent it I don't feel disappointed.

Part of that is because there's just too much other stuff at the beginning of this year and I can't even afford half of it. Even Heavy Rain was bumped off my 'must buy' list. I'm down to just Yakuza 3 and Sakura Wars for 'must buys' for the next 3 months (since their success is more important to me). Can still rent everything else.

ljkkjlcm9
01-30-2010, 01:40 AM
This game is my game for the month of February. I hope to see some of you on there (if I get added more as PSN friend). I've pre-ordered from Amazon, so I'll probably be starting it thursday/friday of the release week.

I'm not sure what kind of character I want, but my main friend that I will be playing with is going to be a mage, so I'm thinking more along the lines of a Tank type character or a Heavy hitter.

Everyone knows the different skill sets right?
1 handed weapons (can be used with shield)
2 handed swords
2 handed axes
Spear (can be used with shield)
Staff
Bow
Healing Magic
Elemental Magic

I'm leaning towards 2 handed swords with some healing magic.

THE JACKEL

Yeargdribble
01-30-2010, 01:49 AM
I'll certainly be the sword and board type if it works. 1-handed weapons all the way. Something about a shield gets me hot.

Bolivar
01-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Damn we're already calling character classes, you guys are making me lean towards getting it sooner rather than later.

Yeargdribble
01-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Another forum I frequent that is a FFXI based community already has a huge thread blowing up. There are tons of people compiled giving their PSNs and discussing their potential roles to group together later on.

Nifleheim7
01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm buying this at at day 1 when it gets released here in Europe (probably somewhere between 19-26 of February.)
I liked everything i have played from Level 5 before and like Bolivar said the Georama system is also a huge seller for me.I think this feature has a lot of potential in the feature if L5 wants to expand more on it.

Also like DQVIII,i'm getting a very good feeling just by looking the game's environments.There's a certain kind of charm in L5's environments even if they aren't very very impressive from a technical point of view.
I can't wait to explore them!

Dreddz
01-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Ill buy it whenever its released in Europe. Hopefully that'll be around Summer as my wallet is taking a hammering over the next few months with Heavy Rain, Yakuza 3 and God of War III being released so closely to each other. I do expect good things from WKC though. The online could be a lot of fun.

Bolivar
02-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Also like DQVIII,i'm getting a very good feeling just by looking the game's environments.

DAMMIT people I can't take it, you guys got me ready to pre-order the damn thing for a 12-inch White Knight replica and a sticker!!!

Dignified Pauper
02-05-2010, 02:44 AM
so, this game is awesome

Bolivar
02-05-2010, 03:50 AM
^ glad to hear it!

Care to elaborate?

Dignified Pauper
02-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, I just really enjoy the gameplay. It's like a hybrid of FFXI and FFXII as far as gameplay goes. Questing online is more like Guild Wars.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
GeoNet: DignifiedPauper (capitalization matters on this one)
Region: NA
Headset: YES

KentaRawr!
02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I want a PS3! :(

NeoCracker
02-06-2010, 04:05 AM
I'd so add you if I could Jackal. I love this game so much. <3

And while I agree with the FF XI and FF XII comparison, theres also a lot of Dark Cloud 2 elements in the game. The Georama is basically modeled almost exacly after DC2's Georama. :p

PSN: jiggledaddy
Geonet: jiggledaddy

Edit: I can't, cause I don't recall your name. Not due to lack of connection, just to be clear. ;P

McLovin'
02-06-2010, 04:39 AM
Is this game ok to play as single player? Cas I'm not sure playing on my PS3 with my average wireless connection is gonna be really efficient.

Yeargdribble
02-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Man, this game got shat on in the reviews pretty hard. Interesting considering the online servers didn't come up until Feb. 2 and most of the reviews were out between the 1st and 3rd. Totally unfair reviews based purely on the single-player.

That said, I don't think I would suggest it if you were planning to shy away from the multiplayer stuff. The reviews aren't completely biased in that regard. So far there are some major issues.

Combat can be slow 1-on-1, but with your whole party there or playing with a group online, it feels great. It also feels good as you start being able to work on combos.

The game doesn't look like Uncharted 2. It's a good looking game, but it's just not going to be FF XIII graphically. The style works for it and it's not trying to be that realistic so it looks very round and vibrant everywhere instead.

So far the story is... well... it's a JRPG story. I hear it gets really good toward the end as they set you up for the next installment as this game is meant to be part of a trilogy.

Voice acting is good. Lip syncing is not. There's literally no syncing of any kind. I prefer it this way. It means the actors weren't trying to awkwardly phrase the translation just to closely match the lips of the Japanese dialogue. It's a non-issue to me, but just some honestly criticism.

The game feels incredibly robust. There's a lot to do and will be a lot to do. It definitely feels like a mix between FFXII and XI with a bit of Monster Hunter thrown in for good measure. The amount of customization and the online stuff is what makes this game. I'd say it's a slightly unpolished FFXII if not for these features that really make it special.

Making your own town is great. Upgrading or binding new weapons is great. Being able to actually farm for materials to upgrade or finding a community where the materials are for sale in someone else's town feel rewarding and connected.

I'm totally loving the game and would love to play with some of you guys. Let me know when you might want to work on some group quests or anything.

PSN: Yeargdribble
GeoNet: Yearg

ljkkjlcm9
02-06-2010, 07:07 AM
well, due to weather in my part of the country, Amazon was unable to deliver it yet. It still says delivery date is the 5th, and yet it's the 6th lol.

PSN: ljkkjlcm9
I'll add my Geo- when I get the game finally.
most likely it will be Jack</>el with an e, not an a, as that's how I actually spell it as opposed to the way that someone set it up to always go to al on me.

THE JACKAL

NeoCracker
02-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Man, this game got shat on in the reviews pretty hard. Interesting considering the online servers didn't come up until Feb. 2 and most of the reviews were out between the 1st and 3rd. Totally unfair reviews based purely on the single-player.

That said, I don't think I would suggest it if you were planning to shy away from the multiplayer stuff. The reviews aren't completely biased in that regard. So far there are some major issues.

Combat can be slow 1-on-1, but with your whole party there or playing with a group online, it feels great. It also feels good as you start being able to work on combos.

The game doesn't look like Uncharted 2. It's a good looking game, but it's just not going to be FF XIII graphically. The style works for it and it's not trying to be that realistic so it looks very round and vibrant everywhere instead.

So far the story is... well... it's a JRPG story. I hear it gets really good toward the end as they set you up for the next installment as this game is meant to be part of a trilogy.

Voice acting is good. Lip syncing is not. There's literally no syncing of any kind. I prefer it this way. It means the actors weren't trying to awkwardly phrase the translation just to closely match the lips of the Japanese dialogue. It's a non-issue to me, but just some honestly criticism.

The game feels incredibly robust. There's a lot to do and will be a lot to do. It definitely feels like a mix between FFXII and XI with a bit of Monster Hunter thrown in for good measure. The amount of customization and the online stuff is what makes this game. I'd say it's a slightly unpolished FFXII if not for these features that really make it special.

Making your own town is great. Upgrading or binding new weapons is great. Being able to actually farm for materials to upgrade or finding a community where the materials are for sale in someone else's town feel rewarding and connected.

I'm totally loving the game and would love to play with some of you guys. Let me know when you might want to work on some group quests or anything.

PSN: Yeargdribble
GeoNet: Yearg

Single player is a bit slow, I'll admit, but overall it's not that bad. It's actually quite fun. It's not like you'll be atacking any faster in Multilayer anyway.

The story isn't great technically, but it's still rather engaging. I love the mustache twirling villain too.

And while your starting party isn't the most interesting, you get some awesome characters like Eldor, Kara, and Ceasar, who are all awesome. (Especially Kara, after you get the Firestone. <3 that scene so much.)

Dreddz
02-06-2010, 10:47 AM
I have too much respect for Level 5 to listen to IGN's review and not buy this game.

Slothy
02-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I have too much respect for Level 5 to listen to IGN's review and not buy this game.

This is pretty much why I'm torn on the idea of getting this game. Considering Level 5's pedigree it's difficult to believe that it could actually be bad, but it's also hard to ignore the fact that it's more than just IGN :bou::bou::bou::bou:ting all over stuff like the story and characters which I was interested in the most.

I may rent it sometime soon to try it out for myself since money is a little too tight right now to spend on something I might not enjoy, but I do hope that the reviews are wrong and that Level 5 didn't make a bad game. If they did then I may have to start to question everything I believe.

JKTrix
02-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I have too much respect for Level 5...

The very reason I'm not eager to buy this game right away. I like them and any mediocrity would just be amplified by how broke I am. It wasn't just IGN, I was following this game pretty closely for a long time. Once it actually came out though, and from reading various impressions from people who owned it, my enthusiasm was suitably crushed.

It would be different if I had steady income, but I'm gonna have to wait to play this, and it's not really tearing me up.

If I could play as Escaflowne in the multiplayer modes, then maybe it would be more appealing as well.

Bolivar
02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Reading the reviews, I don't really put much stock in them. The IGN one as well as others were filled to the brim with unqualified statements with no justification. I'm not sure what they expected, something different from a traditional JRPG? Every non-reviewer I've read/heard talk about it has said that it was what they've been waiting for, so I don't know. It just makes me feel like video game media is in this ultra horrible state right now, some say it's always been, but not like this.

For example, every major gaming outlet that talks about FFXIII prefaces it with "I'm not a huge fan of the series myself..." Games like Call of Duty and Ghost Recon get the highest regards, but something like White Knight Chronicles gets thrown under the bus for being exactly what it's supposed to be. These people aren't real gamers to me, they're the true "casual" gamers.

I've just come to terms with the average "journalist"/critic nowadays not being into video games for the same reason a lot of us are.

Dignified Pauper
02-07-2010, 03:46 PM
So, things I love about this game.

Money is terribly useful. GeoNet is amazing for equipping your avatar. And there are a lot of pretty epic monsters.

That said, I think the reviews were ridiculously biased. The game is by no means perfect, but there are so many things that this game did right. While Single Player is mediocre to good, multiplayer is fantastic. Quests are actually fun to do with people.

I quest a lot with the Penny Arcade crowd and have really enjoyed it.

Yeargdribble
02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I've just come to terms with the average "journalist"/critic nowadays not being into video games for the same reason a lot of us are.

I totally agree. The IGNs and Gamespots are the worst and I just don't give a crap about these big names any more. They are off of my radar largely. I trust the smaller sites above the larger ones as they have less incentive to be swayed.

I actually find a handful of journalists who fit into one of two categories. Either they have opinions that I generally agree with so I know their reviews will match my style; or regardless of their agreeing with my PoV, I have a good idea of how their likes and dislikes relate to my own so I have a litmus test for judging their reviews fairly.

Money is terribly useful.

This is so freakin' important and overlooked in most RPGs. Toward the end of most RPGs you're really raking in the dough but have nothing meaningful to spend it on unless there's a single really big ticket item - like a static, pointless house - for you to buy. This game gives so much more room to use your money in countless ways.

BTW, I didn't mean to ignore you last night. I was getting my butt handed to me by some Cerberus style thing that suddenly popped in as I was running to get to Greede.

Bolivar
02-07-2010, 07:38 PM

I totally agree. The IGNs and Gamespots are the worst and I just don't give a crap about these big names any more.

Well, you gotta at least give it up to Gamestop for calling Demon's Souls Game of the Year 2009. That made my jaw drop. They gave it to Metal Gear Solid 4 last year as well so they're making a slight comeback to me.

But honestly, if I want to know if a game is good or not, I'll come here and see what you guys have to say about it. That tends to be as good as it gets when it comes to gaming advice.

VeloZer0
02-08-2010, 02:29 AM
Can someone elaborate on how the multiplayer and single player interact? I'm usually not big on multiplayer games, but there are some I have enjoyed.

I guess my line of inquiry would be about how it easy it is to jump in/out of online groups. In most games I've played that have multiplayer I end up never going online because it is too much of a hassle for me to get a group that is fun to play with. (On demand that is)

Yeargdribble
02-08-2010, 10:28 AM
First off, you create a character of your choice. This will be your online character, though s/he can also be used in the SP game.

Basically how it works is this. You have an overworld map where you can select zones. Each zone has some sidequests that have the option of being done solo or multiplayer. You can access the overworld map from any save point or zone line. No worries, there are tons of save points everywhere. If you're deep in a dungeon and want to do some multiplayer, no problem. Just hit the world map and multiplayer without affecting where you're at.

Max group number is 4 and they don't take long to fill. Even at odd hours of the night the parties have been readily available. When you select to multiplayer a sidequest or a particular zone on the map, the system automatically starts filling in your part. Usually it's done in a few moments. You can also get a little more complicated and go to particular rooms and quest specifically with friends which isn't too much more of a hassle if that's what you want to do.

As far as interaction, basically the multiplayer has really good items that are used to essentially craft better gear. You might wanna focus on gear for your online character since they will be doing harder things, but you can make gear for your SP party as well or at least give them the hand-me-downs.

Dignified Pauper
02-08-2010, 01:49 PM
BTW: Apparently when you get to New Game+ the treasure chests reset with a lot higher leveled items.

Also Note. On your first run through, don't level past level 50 for your avatar. When you start New Game+ what happens is this. You lose all your skills, BUT, you keep ALL your points so you can respect. Also, you're dropped back down to level 35, so that, as you keep getting experience points, you can get new skills. I believe you can do this up to four times. The only stipulation is you only keep 50 levels worth of Skill Points.

ljkkjlcm9
02-08-2010, 06:31 PM
So my game should finally be coming in today. It says it's out for delivery, from the next town over(still with delivery date of Feb 5th lol). On top of that, today is my day off, and I don't work until 3pm tomorrow, so I plan on playing this game a ton. I also need to catch up to my friend who has been playing all weekend snowed into his apartment.

Anyone who wants to play at some point feel free to add me!

THE JACKAL

Yeargdribble
02-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I still have a lot of early stuff to do. I'm only GR2 because I've been focusing on SP. I'm doing the Greede Underbelly and now is about the time I've start to feel like the game is picking up.

Dignified Pauper
02-10-2010, 08:51 PM
When you beat the game and save after the credits. Just reload from that save. You won't have to go through the game again in like 3-5 hours to re-open all the areas. The only thing you'll miss is some treasure chests that have some of the GR7 armor/weapons.

I did it today while no one was online, but I spent a day or so questing the II quests. Let me tell you, the game is easy, and then gets challenging in 2.5 seconds.

ljkkjlcm9
02-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I still have a lot of early stuff to do. I'm only GR2 because I've been focusing on SP. I'm doing the Greede Underbelly and now is about the time I've start to feel like the game is picking up.

that is currently where I am. I lost my internet (due to my roommate not paying it, I'm at work to access the internet), so I won't be online for a bit.

I heard that there are few dedicated healers online, so I decided to make a paladin type class, with One handed Swords and healing magic. Currently level 20!

THE JACKEL

NeoCracker
02-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Assuming it's SPR that effects divine, I think Spear is the best weapon if you want to focus more so on healing, though sword is better if you want to shift more toward fighting.

Thats how it seems at anyway. :P

Darkwolf090
02-14-2010, 11:33 PM
I picked my copy up really recentally if anyone wants to team up feel free to add me my PSN is Sol_badguy090

see ya in the game!
[!]<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden">[/!][!]Session data[/!][!]<input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">[/!]

JKTrix
02-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Fantastic trailers for this game. Europe just does it right.

YouTube - White Knight Chronicles - Hilarious Online Gameplay Trailer - The Troll! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9QuOZC1mhI)

YouTube - White Knight Chronicles - Funny Arachnid Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otw4D-rAnOw)

Sitting down is soooo hot.

McLovin'
02-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Those players voices perfectly sound just like my guild when I used to play wow xD