PDA

View Full Version : FFXIII...on PS2

Jecht Shot
01-30-2010, 03:27 AM
As some may know, FFXIII was originally intended to be released for the PS2. Once SE saw what the PS3 (and eventually 360) was capable of, they changed their minds.

However, scans from the recently released FFXIII Ultimania are being leaked, and this is what FFXIII would've looked like had it been released for PS2:

This is what Final Fantasy XIII Looked Like on PS2 - Final Fantasy XIII: News, Trailers & Screens ~ Final Fantasy-XIII.net (http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2010/01/30/this-is-what-final-fantasy-xiii-looked-like-on-ps2.html)

Yes, I realize it uses Yuna and Rikku, but that was the early test footage. Pretty interesting. I thought FFX-2 and FFXII's graphics were pretty cutting edge anyway for PS2, so I don't think it would've been all that bad. Still, its nice to know we're getting this game in HD.

Rad Bromance
01-30-2010, 03:42 AM
If XIII looked like XII I would be perfectly fine. I'm not sure how I'd of felt about it having that cel-shaded look like some of those scans show.

It also looks like it would of been something closer to a traditional FF game. Shucks. :)

Also:

Final Fantasy XIII was originally meant to be a PS2 title, but we had to switch systems due to the arrival of the PS3. That cost us about one and a half years and was constantly a case of trial and error.

So I could of already been done with FFXIII and eagerly awaiting FFXV had they just stuck with the PS2 version?!?!?

Frickin aye!

Jessweeee♪
01-30-2010, 04:35 AM
I had heard they'd been working on this game since they were developing FFX-2.

qwertysaur
01-30-2010, 10:30 AM
The cel shaded look clashes too much with the setting of XIII, glad they scrapped that idea early on :p

Rad Bromance
01-30-2010, 06:33 PM
I had heard they'd been working on this game since they were developing FFX-2.
I believe it. It's probably broken the Guiness World Record for the game with The Longest Development Period (which is currently held by FFXII).

Even though I'm not sure how they detemine that, since FFXII took five years, wheras there are other games like Too Human that was stuck in developmental hell for ten years.

Raistlin
01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
I believe it. It's probably broken the Guiness World Record for the game with The Longest Development Period (which is currently held by FFXII).

Duke Nukem Forever.

Jessweeee♪
01-30-2010, 07:21 PM
I think the game has to be in development for the full period rather than just sitting and actually be finished someday to be eligible.

VeloZer0
01-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Duke Nukem Forever.
I don't even like FPS games and I would buy that if it ever came out.

If they had released FFXIII for the PS2 two years ago it would have made me happy beyond words. Though I think this was certainly a better business decision.

Rad Bromance
01-30-2010, 09:21 PM

Duke Nukem Forever.
lol, yeah, I was going to use that as an example, but it's pretty much been officially labeled an abandoned project now.

Rostum
01-30-2010, 09:46 PM

Duke Nukem Forever.
lol, yeah, I was going to use that as an example, but it's pretty much been officially labeled an abandoned project now.

It'll come out... it'll come out... *rocks back and forth*

Wolf Kanno
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
FFXII style version doesn't look too bad though its hard to get a good grasp of what they were trying to do with the game. At least with the cel shading one we are getting hints of what appears to be the final XIII's version of the combat system.

The first one looks more a play on the world design and dungeon crawling though the one image looks like its either a cutscene or some odd out of context battle screen.

VeloZer0
01-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Last I heard they had eliminated all the funding for Duke Nukem, and fired all the development staff. But it isn't canceled :)

From the screen shots it doesn't necessarily look like it was intended to be cell shaded, they look a lot more like placeholders to me.

Loony BoB
01-31-2010, 09:45 AM
From the screen shots it doesn't necessarily look like it was intended to be cell shaded, they look a lot more like placeholders to me.
That's what I was thinking, too.

Rostum
02-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Last I heard they had eliminated all the funding for Duke Nukem, and fired all the development staff. But it isn't canceled :)

This is a really good insight into the situation with 3D Realms and how much of a douchebag Broussard is, and how he should never have been left to his own devices in the company.

Learn to Let Go: How Success Killed Duke Nukem | Magazine (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/)

Sorry it's a bit off topic, but it's a very interesting read.

Also, about FFXIII. This looks more of a prototype than anything else, which games go through many stages of.

Bolivar
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
They said this years ago, that FFXIII was going to be the PS2 game and FFvXIII was going to be their first PS3 game. I would've been fine with that, the PS2 could have used another offline, single player FF, but if this helps them bring these worlds life more then I'm happy.

The footage is interesting and I'm glad it finally came out.

Croyles
02-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Its not celshading, there are just no textures in it at that point. This is like really early development stuff, hence Yuna and Rikku being the placeholder characters.

Spawn of Sephiroth
03-03-2010, 01:48 AM
I wouldn't mind it. FF XII graphics were very good along with KH2. Maybe if they would have stuck it out and put it on the ps2, maybe I wouldn't have the headache of constantly hearing EVERYONE around me online, and in my actual life argue and get pissed over it being on the ps3 and xbox360.

Meat Puppet
03-03-2010, 09:13 AM

This is a really good insight into the situation with 3D Realms and how much of a douchebag Broussard is, and how he should never have been left to his own devices in the company.

Learn to Let Go: How Success Killed Duke Nukem | Magazine (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/)

Sorry it's a bit off topic, but it's a very interesting read.

somebody should make a film about that!