PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah, No one is going to get sued for this...

Wolf Kanno
01-30-2010, 05:19 AM
So it looks like the teaser site for Mistwalker's next title is coming up. The music is beautiful but beyond the one track and the comically familiar title, this looks to be Sakeguchi's next console title for the Wii. (http://kotaku.com/5459483/final-fantasy-creator-working-on-wii-game)

Here's the link to the teaser site.
THE LAST STORY(ラストストーリー) (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/)

qwertysaur
01-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I love the name he chose :p

Edit: Also my limited knowledge of Japanese/Chinese tells me that info will be revealed
March 2010

Rad Bromance
01-30-2010, 05:59 PM
That's...hilarious.

I wonder if it'll be an FF style RPG (like Lost Odyssey). If so, excitement.

Bolivar
01-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Man, I remember when Microsoft had him at all their press conferences, putting him in panels with Peter Molyneaux, talking about all the possibilities they could have with their partnership... I'd rather see him do something like Lost Odyssey again because everything else has been disappointing, and even then, LO wasn't that great. Archaic Sealed Heat was so bad they didn't even bother with localization.

I really hope this can be the "new kind of RPG" like they're saying because the Wii really needs stuff like that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Depression Moon
01-30-2010, 10:50 PM
That music is soothing, it looks like it's going to be Wii exclusive, that saddens me a little because i don't think i'll have a chance to play it. I hope the best for it.

NeoCracker
01-31-2010, 11:29 AM
I love Sakeguchi. xD

Quindiana Jones
01-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Hell, it's tempting to buy a Wii and that game just to roll around naked in the soundtrack.

Jiro
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
That track reminds me of this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4EX0rO-xM&feature=related)

Dreddz
01-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Although I have great respect for Sakaguchi, he just isn't pulling his weight as a game developer anymore. He needs to stop reliving past glories and make something that isn't a clone of Final Fantasy. They may as well not release The Last Story as I guarantee we have all played it in some form before.

Wolf Kanno
01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Although I have great respect for Sakaguchi, he just isn't pulling his weight as a game developer anymore. He needs to stop reliving past glories and make something that isn't a clone of Final Fantasy. They may as well not release The Last Story as I guarantee we have all played it in some form before.

I could say the same of SE and the FF franchise actually. Really of any JRPG at this point in time. :p

Dreddz
01-31-2010, 04:35 PM
I could say the same of SE and the FF franchise actually. Really of any JRPG at this point in time. :p
Persona 4, Valkyria Chronicles and Demons Souls are all unique in their own way and are easily the best JRPG's in the last few years. SE haven't made anything of interest since Crisis Core in my opinion.

KentaRawr!
01-31-2010, 05:58 PM

I think it's important to note that four of Mistwalker's six titles (Archaic Sealed Heat, Blue Dragon Plus, Blue Dragon: Awakened Shadow, and Away Shuffle Dungeon) aren't particularly Final Fantasy like.

Bolivar
02-01-2010, 01:46 AM

That's because you don't have a PS3 (re: Dreddz on Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls) :p

Yeargdribble
02-01-2010, 04:37 AM
I dunno. I think this could be something good. Maybe we really could use another old school, FF style RPG. The FF series itself departed from this with VII. While there are plenty of RPGs that are more like the old FFs, sometimes the copies can't beat the originals.

Sakaguchi is one of those people (like Ueda, Kojima, Miyamoto... maybe even Molyneux) that put a flavor on their particular type of project that no amount of doppelgangers can quite emulate.

Rad Bromance
02-01-2010, 04:44 AM
That track reminds me of this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4EX0rO-xM&feature=related)
Glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

Wolf Kanno
02-01-2010, 05:17 AM
That's because you don't have a PS3 (re: Dreddz on Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls) :p

I hardly find Demon's Soul or Valkyrie Chronicles to be considered a traditional JRPG like the FF series (and seriously, they are like the only two except maybe Disgaea 3 and I'm just giving you that one :p ), also the majority of JRPGs released in the last five years are the atrocious Tales and Mana Khemia/Aetilier type mold which feel more like PS1 knockoffs than actual valid entries and they are flooding the market. So yeah, I'm standing by my statement despite there being a few diamonds in the mud.

On topic, I'm waiting for some real details. A piece of art, some excellent music, and a title that just shows off Sakeguchi's odd humor are enough to pique my interest but I'm curious to see if this title and Xenoblade fall into the trap of most games for the Wii. By that I mean feeling the need to use the motion controller exlusively to create a simulator effect. I feel Suda 51 showed with No More Heroes that its possible to make a very good Wii game without feeling the need to make the motion controller the sole gameplay interface.

Bolivar
02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I hardly find Demon's Soul or Valkyrie Chronicles to be considered a traditional JRPG like the FF series (and seriously, they are like the only two except maybe Disgaea 3 and I'm just giving you that one :p ), also the majority of JRPGs released in the last five years are the atrocious Tales and Mana Khemia/Aetilier type mold which feel more like PS1 knockoffs than actual valid entries and they are flooding the market. So yeah, I'm standing by my statement despite there being a few diamonds in the mud.

But you said "any" JRPG!!!

I feel Suda 51 showed with No More Heroes that its possible to make a very good Wii game without feeling the need to make the motion controller the sole gameplay interface.

Wow, you went in the complete opposite direction than I thought you would with that one! While the motion controller isn't the "sole" gameplay interface, I feel he made a game revolving around mashing the A button and finishing it off by moving the controller in one direction for an over-the-top-finisher. It was so gimmicky and repetitive, I lost a lot of respect for the work. Everything else seemed fine, though, I'd be willing to give it another chance if they ever localize the HD-remake (which looks incredible).

Wolf Kanno
02-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Different taste I guess. I had a lot of fun with NMH but I feel it was mostly the absurdness and I never found combat too repetitive or gimmicky. I don't mind the Wii controls being used for a lot of things but I'm not sure how thrilled I would be if I need them for everything. I just like the fact that sometimes I get to press the buttons I guess. :D

Wolf Kanno
03-31-2010, 06:01 AM
*Dark Necromancy*

Just a minor update, the main site has uploaded some concept art with a few plot story details.

The game revolves around an Island Nation called Ruri Island. Sakeguchi has said one of his goals in the title was to remove any Sci-Fi element and some of his dialogue concerning the main town gives a sense it will be something on FFXII's scale of massive size filled with alley ways and few dead ends.

He also speaks on the use of water and sound as characters for the piece. The art style used for the concept art is not exactly my cup of tea but its interesting to listen to what he's doing for the game when he describes the themes and concepts used to create the game. He's very poetic. Makes me wish SE would release his production notes on all of his FF titles he worked on. :D

qwertysaur
03-31-2010, 06:15 AM
This is going to be very interesting :p

KentaRawr!
04-03-2010, 01:32 PM
One of the new pieces of music on the site reminds me of FFXI. Like a water-filled Gustaberg. It's the page that says "Column".

Vyk
04-04-2010, 06:09 AM
I really like the concept art. It feels like a lot of different things that I like. It has potential. But I don't know how keen I am on the idea of going fully medieval since its such a generic and dated idea. Though I guess everything's pretty generic and dated these days. Hope he pulls it off okay

Bastian
04-06-2010, 01:15 AM
I love it! I'm excited. I still haven't played Lost Odyssey because I don't own a PS3 yet (only a PS2) because no game has yet made me need one (3D Dot Game Heroes just may, though).

I love that it's named Last Story. Though I always thought Lost Odyssey was awfully close to Final Fantasy. And the logo is awfully similar, no? It's like a middle finger to Squeenix. Love it! And I bet Uetmatsu is doing the music! Ha! Finally a REAL Final Fantasy game after all these years, I hope!

Loony BoB
04-07-2010, 01:12 PM
But it won't have the fanfare, so it can't be a REAL Final Fantasy game. ;)

KentaRawr!
04-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Oooh, he's right. Got you there.

Depression Moon
04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
That's some beautiful artwork on that site and some sweet calming music.

Quindiana Jones
04-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Agreed. I haven't reacted this much to game music since FF9s opening tune. :heart:

Bastian
04-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Curse you, BoB, and your infallible logic! :mad2:

Actually, by that logic, it isn't a real Final Fantasy game unless it has the Prelude during the start screen and the FF fanfare. But . . . I'm sure Uetmatsu will write something equally wonderful for each of those for this game.

However . . . something that scares me is Sakeguchi's assertion that he wants to avoid as much "sci-fi" in this game as possible. Now . . . that can either mean one of two different things:
- Sci-fi = lazers, robots, modern/advanced technology etc. In which case I'm VERY VERY EXCITED!
or!
- Sci-fi = Sci-fi/fantasy which means no goblins/magic etc. I really hope that this is not the case, because that doesn't really interest me.

Marshall Banana
04-23-2010, 05:47 AM
I love the art. It's stunning.

I want to see more. =(

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/thelaststory.jpg

black orb
04-23-2010, 05:10 PM
>>> It looks like an awesome game, but does this mean that I have to buy a Wii now?:crying2:..:luca:
Oh yeah, I think Eoff should make some room for all the new Sakaguchi`s games..

Marshall Banana
05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Finally, there are some screenshots of the game.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/1.jpg

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/2.jpg

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/3.jpg

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/4.jpg

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/5.jpg

qwertysaur
05-12-2010, 04:24 PM
My first reactions to the screenshots in the above post

Airships :D

Where are the cannon things pointed? If the building on the cliff declaring war on the ocean for some reason?

TIGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This game is looking really good, I hope someone who knows Japanese comes and translates the text from the articles so I can find out possibly if the cannons are trying to kill the ocean :p

Also I can recognize several of the Kanji as their corresponding Chinese Characters. I see the character for King so that hints a kingdom. Also I see the character Dian (点) quite a few times. This character means either order when used in the specific context ordering food, or a measure word for time on the hour. Combined with the clock that appears in the artwork of the boy and girl (also the TIGER!!!!!) I am inclined to believe that Time will play a role as well. Looks interesting :p

Loony BoB
05-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Cannons more often than not point at the sea to destroy enemy ships. That's pretty normal.

NeoCracker
05-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Those shots look radical. :love:

Depression Moon
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Getting even more interested.

Quindiana Jones
05-12-2010, 08:28 PM
The alleyway image in 3 totally reminded me of FF9. :D

Vyk
05-12-2010, 11:16 PM
I see a lot of FF12 in those pictures. Except Shirtless Dude could probably spank Vaan with his variation on Cloud's Buster Sword (Buster Scimitar?). Though he looks a bit typical. At least he's no Squall or Tidus. And those knights look like Judges. But as long as it doesn't take after Star Wars the way 12 did, and has an interesting story and doesn't bore me with pointless grinding I'm not inclined to start docking points just yet. I'm still intrigued. The world looks interesting. And I'm curious about the girl and the tiger. She looks deceptively competent for a little girl in a Japanese RPG. The competent chicks are usually wild or knightly

ReloadPsi
05-12-2010, 11:18 PM
It'll be interesting seeing the site change its name to Eyes on Last Story.

Is that a dig at FF13 too?

Loony BoB
05-13-2010, 04:37 PM
It'll be interesting seeing the site change its name to Eyes on Last Story.

Is that a dig at FF13 too?
It's a dig at the people who say that FFXIII wasn't a "real" FF because it didn't have Fanfare. Generally the same type of people who say that these games are more FF than FFXIII is. :p

Bastian
05-14-2010, 02:06 AM
If I didn't want this game before (which I totally did the moment I heard about it) Shirtless Dude makes me want it even harder. ;)

black orb
05-14-2010, 03:42 AM
>>> Damn, I dont want to buy a Wii but this game is telling me to do it..:luca:

Jiro
05-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Those screens are interesting. The castle near the cliff reminds me of Dragon Quest VIII for some reason. I really like that alleyway shot, I'm not sure why. But yeah, looking forward to hearing more.

Mirage
05-15-2010, 01:43 AM

I hardly find Demon's Soul or Valkyrie Chronicles to be considered a traditional JRPG like the FF series (and seriously, they are like the only two except maybe Disgaea 3 and I'm just giving you that one :p

So you want a game that's like those old games, but not like those old games. That's pretty interesting!

Jibril
05-15-2010, 01:59 AM
This game will be terrible. Every Mistwalker game has been lame because 99% of what you loved about the older Final Fantasies was actually the work of Yoshinori Kitase, Nobuo Uematsu, Amano, Tetsuya Nomura and other various designers/programmers/writers.

the majority of JRPGs released in the last five years are the atrocious Tales and Mana Khemia/Aetilier type mold which feel more like PS1 knockoffs than actual valid entries and they are flooding the market.
Tales of Vesperia is a better game than Persona 4 and Demon's Souls. The Mana Khemia/Atelier stuff is god awful though.

Rostum
05-15-2010, 04:07 AM
This, the new Metroid and A Boy and his Blob make me glad I have access to a Wii.

:love:

Wolf Kanno
05-15-2010, 06:51 AM

I hardly find Demon's Soul or Valkyrie Chronicles to be considered a traditional JRPG like the FF series (and seriously, they are like the only two except maybe Disgaea 3 and I'm just giving you that one :p

So you want a game that's like those old games, but not like those old games. That's pretty interesting!

I never said I didn't want the old games or new games, I'm a little confused by your comment... :confused:

I'm sure Last Story will probably feel like an FF clone, in fact I'm waiting for Mistwalker to announce your party riding large Pink birds called Obobo's to get around as well as the eventful return of Sid.

I like seeing new things and usually I want more new stuff but it doesn't mean its beneath me not to buy a sequel or a game that is obviously a rip-off of another title. I'm not that enraptured by my ideals. :D

This game will be terrible. Every Mistwalker game has been lame because 99% of what you loved about the older Final Fantasies was actually the work of Yoshinori Kitase, Nobuo Uematsu, Amano, Tetsuya Nomura and other various designers/programmers/writers.

Well, Nomura barely worked on most of the FFs I liked and Kitase has only been credited in a creative way on one FF title I actually like and I generally feel the rest of the titles he puts his name to are either medicore (in terms of the series) or just plain awful. So I'm not sure where you are going with this... :erm:

Vyk
05-15-2010, 07:07 AM
I think Mirage took the first quoted statement as a dig against cliche JRPG elements in that you didn't want to replay the same thing over in anyway, when I think you were just amused by the observation that they're all generally the same (for better or worse). And then in your second statement you contradicted what he thought you meant by the first quote. A dig against standard games for having JRPG staples, and then a dig against non-standard games for not having said JRPG staples

Pretty sure the confusion in Jibril's quote is that "you" is meant to be ambiguous. Not you personally. Just general people liked non-Sakaguchi FF elements and didn't realize it until he left and they still liked Square's work and found out they weren't too fond of Sakaguchi's own personal stuff in Mistwalker. I kinda feel that way myself, but I'm sorta sad about it. But I don't know enough about the FF ins and outs to know who I liked for what. I just know I liked older FF games. I guess that means I'm not fond of any of them on their own. Newer Square stuff headed up by any of them doesn't interest me, and Mistwalker stuff fails to catch my interest, generally. So I guess it was whatever combination the teams had that worked the magic for me. And now they're all separate

Wolf Kanno
05-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Can I hire you to be my guy that explains to me the rambling of other people? I'm socially inept so I definetly need someone like you, I'll have to pay you under the table of course... :shifty:

black orb
05-15-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm sure Last Story will probably feel like an FF clone
>>> Maybe is just me but looking at those screens and character design this game feels more like a "Saga Frontier 2", which make it even more awesome..:luca:

Skyblade
05-15-2010, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure what I feel about this game. Even if it does capture the lost feel of the older FFs, that alone won't make it an ideal game. Several of the older FFs fall off my list of wonderful games due to problems with the gameplay. Until we know how it plays, how the characters turn out, how good the story is, and how immersive the world is, I don't know how good this game will be.

Bastian
05-17-2010, 04:54 AM
I don't get how anyone could call this or Lost Odyssey rip-offs of FF. I mean, that's like calling The Two Towers a rip-off of Fellowship of the Ring.

And since I have liked NONE of the FF games since Sakaguchi left (except FF IV: TAY), I eagerly look forward to a game that is clearly a middle finger to Squeenix. I would LOVE orange colored ostrich-like birds called Chacabas and a character named Sid or Ced or something. Would make my day. :D

Loony BoB
05-17-2010, 12:54 PM
I wouldn't want it to be a middle finger to Square. I would prefer it be a "thanks for the memories, but I want to do things like this." to Square.

Rostum
05-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I wouldn't want it to be a middle finger to Square. I would prefer it be a "thanks for the memories, but I want to do things like this." to Square.

This.

Honestly, apart from the title and logo I don't really see a similarity to the Final Fantasy series? I mean, it looks similar in the sense that it's an RPG, I guess...

Either way, who can complain? The Wii needs more quality RPG's.

Marshall Banana
05-30-2010, 03:31 AM
Main characters' names: Kanan (girl) and Elza (guy) (http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/the-last-story-jump.jpg).

ANGRYWOLF
05-30-2010, 04:02 AM
I'm sure Last Story will probably feel like an FF clone
>>> Maybe is just me but looking at those screens and character design this game feels more like a "Saga Frontier 2", which make it even more awesome..:luca:

I have my doubts about the Wii as an rpg console.
I feel it needs a hard drive or some kind of storage system..
shrugs.

I get the feeling Nintendo is going to do something for the Wii to expand its capabilities.All those silly family style games, while they made the system a hit..seem to have topped out and hit the wall and now it's time to expand the system and make it attractive for hard core gamers.

I always thought of Sakaguichi as the father of FF, despite what others here may say and I was sorry he left Square.I don't feel his successors there have consistently done a good job since he left.

The issue is Sakaguchi stuck in the past and can he create something new and exciting that will attract hard core rpg fans ?

I sincerely hope he succeeds.

:D

Rostum
05-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I have my doubts about the Wii as an rpg console.
I feel it needs a hard drive or some kind of storage system..
shrugs.

Because all the RPG's on the SNES, PS1, PS2 and DS are :bou::bou::bou::bou:, right?

Marshall Banana
06-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Kanan and Elza aren't the only playable characters, and up to five characters can be in your party, looks like.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/ls1.jpg

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/ls2.jpg

I think we'll see a trailer soon!

Depression Moon
06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Main characters' names: Kanan (girl) and Elza (guy) (http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m285/fofonda/the-last-story-jump.jpg).

Are you sure? That sounds backwards to me.

Marshall Banana
06-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Are you sure? That sounds backwards to me.
I thought the same thing. XD

But that's how they're labelled!

qwertysaur
06-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Those scans are fantastic Monda :D

Marshall Banana
06-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Mistwalker tweeted them!

f f freak
06-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Those scans look awesome, but one thing I'm wondering is, is it possible to change the character you control? In all those battle pictures Elza seems to be the only one they control.

KentaRawr!
06-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I hope so. I don't like Elza's macho look! :cool:

Vyk
06-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Totally different from the concept art they released but still looking intriguing enough not to lose my interest :}

Quindiana Jones
06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Chances are I'll buy the soundtrack for this when it comes out. xD

Suikojowy
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Although I was expecting a more traditional party/turn based battle system this still looks awesome and I'm really looking forward to it. Between this and Xenoblade this may be a good time to own a Wii if you're an rpg fan

Marshall Banana
07-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Finally! A trailer!

Official site (http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/slsj/trailer/) | YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDJ5eMkHkj4)

Vyk
07-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow, its really nice to see it in action finally. It doesn't look as medieval'ish as they sounded like they were going for. Instead looks rather renaissance'y which is still a nice change of pace. I like the look and style still. And the game play looks interesting. Not really sure what they're going for though

KentaRawr!
07-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Oh, just my luck. It looks good. >;/ Now I have to buy it.

Edit: Also, I like how she hummed the main theme. :p

qwertysaur
07-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I love the attention to detail, like how you can bump into random people and from the looks of it they might yell at you for it xD

Also humming girl has an uncanny resemblance to Scala from Chrono Trigger :p

KentaRawr!
07-10-2010, 01:34 AM
The gameplay we could see in the trailer is really, really cool. It seems like they're really re-imagining a few things about how the battles come about. :holmes:

black orb
07-11-2010, 03:05 AM
>>> Loving the gameplay, Im more concerned about the story/plot of the game though..:luca:

Depression Moon
07-11-2010, 03:27 AM
Nice to see some gameplay finally. I'm still not sure what to think of the game. I don't really like the in-game graphics, too dark and shadowy.

f f freak
07-11-2010, 10:22 PM
Whilst seeing the trailer was nice, especially to see the gameplay, my previous concern about only being able to control Elza still stands. They only showed the combat while controlling him. Hopefully, it is possible to change characters as not being able to would seriously put me off of getting this game, probably due to the scarring I still have from Infinite Undiscovery and only being able to control Capell.

Rad Bromance
07-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Looks like FFXII's battle system. :D

Too bad it's Wii exclusive and I'll have to wait until I upgrade my computer again to emulate it, most likely, as I just can't bring myself to buy a Wii. :(

Depression Moon
08-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Any new stuff going on with this?

Depression Moon
11-21-2010, 03:00 AM
First Look: The Last Story's Online Play (andriasang.com, 11.19.2010) (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/11/19/last_story_online_play/)

http://i55.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2d9e977.png

http://item.slide.com/r/1/254/i/towy94R73j_s2qJpoUaJ5JflWZeeahLu/

Wolf Kanno
11-21-2010, 06:43 AM
The more I've been reading about this game the more I'm excited for it. Combat sounds really amazing from some of the new details given and did I forget to mention it has a customizable armor system? Your characters actually show the armor and weapons put on them but here's the really interesting part. Don't like the way the armor looks cause its too bulky? You can apparently strip off parts of the armor, at no cost to your characters stats, just to customize the aesthetics. You can also apparently customize the paint job as well though apparently you shouldn't be expecting as anything as crazy as Armor Cores level of paint customization.

Vyk
11-21-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm definitely still intrigued. Which is a rare thing for a JRPG to do to me these days..

Bolivar
11-22-2010, 04:18 PM
This game's shaping up to be pretty damn amazing and if that Wii bundle gets released in NA I'm going to be absolutely tortured.