PDA

View Full Version : French Question!

Imperfectionist
02-01-2010, 10:06 PM
I think this is where this thread goes...

Anywho, just a quick question, i'm doing a translation from English into French and i'm absolutely stumped. How do you say, 'a whole range' in French? I've consulted my massive dictionnary, textbooks, even online translation but i'm getting nowhere :confused:

The sentence is: 'Although there is a whole range of initiatives to reduce pollution in our cities, this continues to be a problem.'

Quindiana Jones
02-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Once upon a time I'd be able to do that whole sentence for you, but all my French has gone. :(

However, regarding sentence structure I hope I can help. "A whole range" seems to be too English to be simply translated. Perhaps if you tried "a wide variety". Hell, you could probably get away with "a lot".

Imperfectionist
02-01-2010, 11:07 PM
The rest of the sentence is fine, and usually my big dictionnary is really good at providing idiomatic alternatives to what i've looked up but I just couldn't find anything. I'll jiggle it round a bit like you said and then just ask my teacher tomorrow, thanks :D

Quindiana Jones
02-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Sorry I could be any more help.

I miss being able to speak French. :(

rubah
02-01-2010, 11:43 PM
beaucoup, plus des choses, quelques?

Imperfectionist
02-02-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure that really conveys the meaning though... i've used beaucoup de but we always get told that sticking to the true meaning of the text as far as possible is really important so i'll see what she says and let you know lol but thanks for the help :)

rubah
02-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Quelques indicates a [small] variety

alors [qu']il y a quelques initiatives..~

Imperfectionist
02-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I've used 'Bien qu'il y ait', i think it works better here. But yeah quelques definately sounds better in that case :)

Aerith's Knight
02-02-2010, 11:33 PM
This thread brings back horrific memories of 5 years of french class.

*shudders*

Imperfectionist
02-04-2010, 09:47 AM
What do you mean horrific? French is great :D

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
French grammar is horrid until you learn about Ancient Greek, now that is a nightmare.

"a whole range" can't be literally translated, as far as I can think. But you could use alternatives such as "un grand assortiment," "un grand variété," or "des initiatives diverses".

My French is a bit rusty though.