PDA

View Full Version : tatoo idea

Masamunemaster
02-03-2010, 07:19 AM
So I have decided after a good bit of consideration, and I do believe I may get the Griever symbol as my first tatoo

Mo-Nercy
02-03-2010, 01:34 PM
If I'm honest, I'm not sure whether that's such a great idea. When people ask you what the meaning of that tattoo is 5 years down the track, will you be comfortable with saying it's inspired by a video game? Will you still like Final Fantasy as much as you do now? A tattoo is for life so you have to make sure you choose something that you won't get sick of and come to regret.

The Griever symbol is pretty cool (I assume you mean the one where it's like the lion's head on a cross) but it's very intricate for a first tattoo. If you're not wimpy about the pain, then I suppose it doesn't make a difference whether it goes on first or fifth, especially if you're set on getting it.

Other than that, best of luck with it. And pictures please if you do get it.

PeneloRatsbane
02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
i agree with No-Nercy. I was all for getting a Griever tattoo but now, 3 years down the line i thank my lucky stars i didn't get it. There is a serious risk that you will regret it, Think really hard before deciding. Give yourself a year, 6 months at the least and see how you feel about it then. If you still want it then consider it

I did that and now i have a tatoo, and all though most the time i love it there are some times when i become very aware of the fact that its there forever now and i can't go back to having a clear canvas of skin lol

qwertysaur
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Wait 6 months, if you still want it then go get it :p

Saber
02-03-2010, 06:58 PM
At least your not getting Zells tattoo.

PeneloRatsbane
02-03-2010, 10:17 PM

lol hopefully the tattooist would have enough of a moral compass to say "noooo" to that one!!

Slothy
02-04-2010, 01:55 AM
Wait 6 months, if you still want it then go get it :p

This pretty much. Aside from that, as a man with a Superman tattoo on his back (not the traditional red and yellow "S" mind you) I can pass no judgement on the subject matter of your tattoo. It was several months between when I decided I wanted it done and when I did it though and I still don't regret it some 3-4 years later now, so give it some time to really think about it and mull it over before you commit. Taking a few months to think it over is a lot cheaper and less painful than fixing it later.

lol hopefully the tattooist would have enough of a moral compass to say "noooo" to that one!!

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to go to a tattoo artist willing to do bad tribal on someone's face. That'd just be stupid.

Rye
02-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Putting aside the whole "It's a little dorky, are you sure you can commit to it?" tangent, I would consider maybe trying another, smaller tattoo as your first. That tattoo seems like it'd have to be somewhat large to get all of the details in, and as it would be detailed and dark, it would probably take a very long time. I dunno what your pain tolerance is - if it's high, then never mind! If it's not, then possibly think about it as your second? :)

Saber
02-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Well at least we're not bad influences and saying, get drunk before you do it. Or yeah I totally dare you to.

And I do agree to wait and think about it. I've had this sketch, well a few, and I've been wanting to get them as tats for a while. I'm just not sure I would want it in permanent ink. I think it would be funner to get a tat that will last say 6 months to a year and have it wear off someday. That way I could always mix it up and get new ones.

Slothy
02-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Putting aside the whole "It's a little dorky, are you sure you can commit to it?" tangent, I would consider maybe trying another, smaller tattoo as your first. That tattoo seems like it'd have to be somewhat large to get all of the details in, and as it would be detailed and dark, it would probably take a very long time. I dunno what your pain tolerance is - if it's high, then never mind! If it's not, then possibly think about it as your second? :)

I don't think the griever symbol would necessarily have to be really large. It couldn't be tiny like the star behind my sister's ear mind you, but it shouldn't have to be exactly huge. How much it hurt would depend as much on where they put it as the size and how filled in it is. To be honest though, the outline hurts more than colouring it in my experience.

PeneloRatsbane
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah but its detailed so it couldn't be too small or it wouldn't work.

I found the pain came only on certain parts of the skin. I didn't like it when it went right in close to the spine but to the side of it was fine

Slothy
02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Like I said, it couldn't be really tiny, but it wouldn't have to be huge to get all of the detail in.

And I agree with getting a tattoo right over the spine was quite painful, but that's how it goes. Anytime you get one over a spot with a lot of nerves that's quite sensitive it's going to hurt more.

Moon Rabbits
02-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna go with everyone and say really think long and goddamned hard before you decide to do this. If you still want it in 6 - 12 months, go for it ...

As for the pain and size; I also agree with Rye! Don't get something too big (especially something that's going to be all black O _ O) on a part of your body that's really bony or nerve-ey unless you're sure you can handle it. My first was on my inner forearm and is about the size of my fist and I was really taken aback by how painless it was. However, the most recent one I got (script across my collar bone [original, I know ;)]) was painful as :bou::bou::bou::bou:; if I had gotten that one first I'm not sure if I could have handled it.

Namelessfengir
02-04-2010, 08:39 PM
get it in henna and see how it works out. if it doesn't work out get the slash mark instead!! tell people that your a sword fighter that got his ass kicked

Jessweeee♪
02-05-2010, 04:47 AM
Well as far as nerd tattoos go Griever isn't so bad xD

Personally, I wouldn't do that because tattoos are just too permanent for me! I wonder if there's some temporary thing I could do that would last for about three months P:

Meat Puppet
02-05-2010, 07:03 AM
I know a girl who has quite a big Sonic the Hedgehog tattoo slightly to the left of her mons pubis region.

RedPouch
02-05-2010, 09:38 AM
get it in henna and see how it works out. if it doesn't work out get the slash mark instead!! tell people that your a sword fighter that got his ass kicked
^ This.

Henna is what I use. I love it. It'll wash off in about 3-4 weeks, so it's pretty reasonable. I'm not in favour of getting permanent tattoos.

Masamunemaster
02-07-2010, 07:49 PM

haha I acctually thought of that idea before the griever, and get it real detailed.

Im suprised I got anything on this, hence the reason Ive not replied in a while(my old posts were always ignored alot)

I see a few of you keep saying the pain would be bad, and Im sure it would, but I have grown tolerent to a good bit of pain on my body. Also, Ive always been told that for some reason getting a tattoo while drunk or high was a bad idea, They say it makes the ink fade quicker or something like that lol.

I just wanted opinions of my fellow nerds that could probably understand, and I planned to think on it a while so I could save up the money to get it, Im thinking of getting it on my right shoulder blade...dont know how big yet though.

Mo-Nercy
02-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I see a few of you keep saying the pain would be bad, and Im sure it would, but I have grown tolerent to a good bit of pain on my body. Also, Ive always been told that for some reason getting a tattoo while drunk or high was a bad idea, They say it makes the ink fade quicker or something like that lol.

I just wanted opinions of my fellow nerds that could probably understand, and I planned to think on it a while so I could save up the money to get it, Im thinking of getting it on my right shoulder blade...dont know how big yet though.
My understanding of it is that being drunk, high or otherwise intoxicated by a foreign substance generally causes an expanding of the blood vessels. So when you get tattoo-ed, you'd bleed more. Might be totally wrong on this as I'm not cool and I don't have ink =]

Right shoulder blade would hurt though. Not a lot of meat there. If it were me, I'd go on the arm. But then again, the shoulder blade tatt is cooler and easier to conceal for times when exposed tattoos aren't kosher.

Masamunemaster
02-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Yea thats why I didnt go with the scar cause I work fast food and I would probably be fired for it lol

PeneloRatsbane
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Yea thats why I didnt go with the scar cause I work fast food and I would probably be fired for it lol

and it would be mutilating your face.

Seriously, if the opinion of your "fellow nerds" is one of trepidation then you should take a step back and really think about it. there is a really risk that u'll hate it in a few years

Slothy
02-08-2010, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=Masamunemaster;2788592]I see a few of you keep saying the pain would be bad, and Im sure it would, but I have grown tolerent to a good bit of pain on my body. Also, Ive always been told that for some reason getting a tattoo while drunk or high was a bad idea, They say it makes the ink fade quicker or something like that lol.

I've heard that as well. It's kind of a moot point I think as I don't know any reputable tattoo place that would do a tattoo for someone who's visibly drunk or high.

Masamunemaster
02-10-2010, 08:48 AM
HAHA my exs dad would do it, but her bf would probably rather kick my ass than have me near there lol.

RedPouch
02-10-2010, 08:26 PM
I think you need to seriously consider henna first before trying things that are permanent. Henna takes about 3~4 weeks to wash off, and after it's done you can either put it right back, try it in a different spot, or try something entirely new, anywhere you want, each time it's washed off. With henna, you basically have unlimited options here, and you'll be able to tell if you like it or not. As a bonus, it won't be there anymore when you're in your 40's and your skin starts to get wrinkly and saggy.

Since the origins of this design are basically harmless, then there's no harm in getting it since I believe that people should mostly be concerned about getting designs that they like and think looks good or cool. However, getting this may cause some weird looks and a few raised eyebrows by people that are familiar with FF VIII, but aren't really "hardcore fans" of the game or anything. Some of them are likely to think "uhhhh okay... I guess he REALLY likes FF VIII lol...." [kinda like how I feel when I see people using Sharingan contact lenses as shown here (http://a39.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/40/l_cf08f9aed81f5e34eb1ffd724b721d86.jpg)]. However, I'm not sure exactly where on your shoulder blade you plan on getting this, or in what angle it'll be in, so I'm not sure if people will only see this tattoo if you have your shirt off or not. Regardless, if you don't really care about said people, then by all means go for it, though I still recommend trying it out with henna first for a long while to see if you truly still want it.

For the record, although I think it's somewhat strange to get it as a tattoo, I do like the Griever symbol. It's actually very cool [I think lions are awesome beasts].

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/245/b/5/Lionheart_Tattoo___Griever___by_zdiogo.jpg

Here's a Brazilian man that got it as a tattoo on his back.

Namelessfengir
02-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I know a girl who has quite a big Sonic the Hedgehog tattoo slightly to the left of her mons pubis region.

wouldn't that be creapy with sonic staring at you???

@masa if you get it on your chest you might want to get a chain too

Masamunemaster
02-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Khalin, thank you for that picture, I found it once but couldnt find it again lol

Nameless why would I want the chain also?

Jessweeee♪
02-10-2010, 10:09 PM
I think I want a henna Griever! I will keep him on my shoulder.

PeneloRatsbane
02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/245/b/5/Lionheart_Tattoo___Griever___by_zdiogo.jpg

Here's a Brazilian man that got it as a tattoo on his back.

see i just can't see the appeal. In my head I think it looks looks a bit "Three lions on my shirt" like the England football team. Sorry everyone has a right to there own opinion but i think it looks really naff

Moon Rabbits
02-11-2010, 12:35 AM
My understanding of it is that being drunk, high or otherwise intoxicated by a foreign substance generally causes an expanding of the blood vessels. So when you get tattoo-ed, you'd bleed more. Might be totally wrong on this as I'm not cool and I don't have ink =]

This is always the reason I've been told that you shouldn't get pierced/tattooed drunk/high ... thinning of the blood by alcohol or whatever. I remember I got my nose and lip pierced after a night out drinking and boy did I ever bleed.

That, and a drunk/high person isn't really to be trusted to sit still for 2 hours and get tattooed.

edit: Oh, and I actually kind of dig that Griever tattoo posted. I just would never, ever get it done myself.

RedPouch
02-11-2010, 12:58 AM
This is always the reason I've been told that you shouldn't get pierced/tattooed drunk/high ... thinning of the blood by alcohol or whatever. I remember I got my nose and lip pierced after a night out drinking and boy did I ever bleed.

That, and a drunk/high person isn't really to be trusted to sit still for 2 hours and get tattooed.
These are true statements. Drinking may seem like a good idea in an attempt to "nullify" or "lessen" the pain you would normally experience, but it does have said consequences.

edit: Oh, and I actually kind of dig that Griever tattoo posted. I just would never, ever get it done myself.
Exactly how I feel actually. I wouldn't do this tattoo myself, but I have to admit that it does look cool. Hey, it looks like we agreed on something. :love:

Lightening
02-11-2010, 07:28 PM
How can I convince you to tattoo PuPu on yourself instead?

Masamunemaster
02-12-2010, 02:57 AM
lol idk....Pupu would be interesting lol

Mo-Nercy
02-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Geezard plz.

xXsarahXx
02-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Do you like it?
Well do it!!
Regret is for loosers!! Who cares what it looks like in 50 years time, youll be old and probably not be flashing the flesh at any given moment. Whoi cares about the pain, 5 of mine hurt, they did im not gonna lie they arnt licked on by kittens after all but its a sacrifice you make, an hours bearable pain for a lifetime of something thats personal to you!!

As for having to justify it to other people who cares what they think, you get a tattoo for yourself not to please others.

Ive wanted the griever tattoo for a while but im gonna wait till i have children and intermingle it with their names, i see the griever as a symbol of protection.

Masamunemaster
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
yea I was hinking it because of all of its meanings

but I have a feeling that this post is gonna now be about random tattoos lol

arcanedude34
02-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Ah, go for it. Only live once, carpe diem, all that jazz

PeneloRatsbane
02-16-2010, 11:27 PM
yeah you only live once, but it might be for a long time and then you could be stuck thinking "Awwww damn why did I get a FFVIII tatoo"