PDA

View Full Version : I love Dumb A.I.

Vermachtnis
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
So there I was playing Suikoden Tactics. I was at the fight with Roget after getting Corselia. I was surrounded with Fishmen behind me and infront of me and humans above me. First time I tried to play it safe and was rushed, but still died. Skip to round 2 and I said screw and just went for Roget. It wasn't too bad. Let's skip to the end.

Just Roget and a couple of Fishmen left. Kyril has retreated; Lazlo, Kika, Flare, and Corselia are still in the middle and Rita was near Roget and near death. And she's one of those perma-death characters too so I was naturally worried. But Roget in all his genius decided to put his back to an electric panel and try to put Kika's group to sleep. He failed. I put Rita on the electric panel and smacked him in the back of the head and she leveled up and now completely healed.

Now those two fish decided to run after Lazlo, completely ignoring that little girl tank with the giant hammer behind their boss. And once again he decided to try and put Kika's group to sleep. So once again I smacked him in the back of the head with a hammer and he died and I won.

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - version. Roget was stupid and Rita smacked him the back of the head.

Share your stories of dumb A.I.

qwertysaur
02-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I was playing final fantasy tactics and one of the enemy units was an archer and using charge to attack me. Another enemy unit walks right in front of me to attack. The archer then releases the charged shot directly into the other enemy and killed them. :p

Rase
02-03-2010, 08:31 PM
If I don't issue commands my squadmates in Mass Effect 2 they will usually end up constantly pressing forward and screwing cover until they die. Sometimes they end up like 50 meters ahead of me in another battle.

It's awesome.

Jessweeee♪
02-03-2010, 08:46 PM
This particular example was a lot more annoying than it was funny. I was playing Phantasy Star Universe and all of my party members decided to just stand close together and not move or do anything while I fought two bosses at once! It was very difficult and the whole time they were like WHERE'S WABER?! EATHAN WHERE ARE YOU? WHERE ARE YOU GOING EATHAN? They finally moved when I hid behind them and let the enemy knock the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of them.

EDIT:

Another annoying example is fighting an enemy in Persona 3 that has a resistance of some sort to every element while your party member all insist on using [Element] Break.

Flying Arrow
02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
One of the first that comes to mind is Tactics A2 when I conceded a battle and the enemy took 5 turns to kill my two remaining party members with less than a fifth of their health. Instead the zombies and ghosts were casting buffs on themselves and debuffs on my own weakened characters (and missing, too).

And any turn-based RPG in which an enemy wastes a turn healing itself or a partner who is already at full health. Despite being an otherwise really fun game, Wild Arms was particularly bad with this.

Poor A.I. kills immersion faster than even 100 loading screens.

Mirage
02-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Is poor pathfinding good enough? In that case, i present to you C&C Red Alert:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/rapathfinding.png

Not to mention the AI building missile silos but never firing any missiles, helipads that they use once, naval yards but no naval units.

Iceglow
02-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Many of my experiences have been with Sheva on Resi 5, god damn the stupidity of the AI for her. In the end I upgraded a scorpion to infinite ammo and gave her that until I had a newer, more powerful smg to waste in her hands. Thankfully I only had her grab a magnum off the ground once during the game and immediately asked her for the gun. Magnum ammo farming was essential prior to getting infinite ammo for the hand cannon.

Also, In a cruise through Halo 3 on legendary on my own I once had the Arbiter kick a crate out of his way so he could get at the enemies quicker, not that there were any immediately nearby that he could reach using his energy sword, or that there was any viable need to boot the big heavy crate out of his path either. The crate being big and heavy immediately span through the air smashing Master Chief through the face plate sending him to an early grave. Thats right, the arbiter betrayed me by headshotting me with a crate...laugh that one up. I also had the experience of a hammer brute running away from me even though his invincibility (the one thing that scared me about the encounter) active. I simply sat back and let him and as soon as his invincibility ended threw a spike grenade through his face.

In Dragon Age I had a weird one but it's relatively new game and so I'm going to spoiler tag this baby. Ok so old news to most of us but Flemmeth, Morrigan's mother when you fight her on Morrigan's behalf transforms in to a High Dragon. Now High Dragons can kick some serious ass, I mean did you not fight the "Andraste" dragon? Well, Flemmeth even though she could have used several chomping attacks to down my characters in no time at all (being I was relatively underlevelled for the fight imho) merely sat there using basic claw attacks and the occassional fire ball at my healer (Wynne, considering Morrigan is much more offensive based, even when she has healing magic available she prefers to use offensive spells and Morrigan is not usable during this fight anyhow Wynne is the obvious choice for the fight) which I could heal up using the group heal spell whilst Shale, Alistair and Aedan (player character) simply pounded away on her, I'd even gone to the extent of getting decent armour, shields and weapons for both my assault fighters and nice 2h weapons for their backups in case she used the grabbing a person and eating them trick I could quickly switch to shield attacks to try and force her to drop them. I wouldn't mind but the difficulty wasn't set to Casual, it was set to normal. The High Dragon on normal tore my party apart. I have also experienced enemy groups what could have closed and finished my last, wounded, no healing options left character in about 2 seconds sit there and let me pound them with a high level ranged weapon giving me a victory where only defeat should have been found.

Pete for President
02-06-2010, 09:22 PM
In Tenchu 1, 2 and 3 guards could not see in different height levels, so you didn't get spotted even though they we're pretty much on top of you while facing your direction.

Also, they'd go after a rolling rice ball which supposedly came out of nowhere and eat it - not suspecting anything. And there was the occasional throwing themselves off cliffs and all that.