PDA

View Full Version : Graphamatical!

Rye
02-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Besides people loving the game for the story line and battle system, the graphics of the game are definitely up there on the list of things that folks enjoy about FFX. But I wonder - if the game had graphics like FF9, or possible even less advanced, do you think you would like it as much? How much? Would it only subtract points from the game, or would you find it much less playable? Do you find the graphics to be integral to this game, or can be considered a separate - but pleasant - part from it? Do be honest!

I'm not sure if I would like it as much. A year ago, I probably would have said "Less" but being addicted to a generally "ugly" looking game for the most part (Dwarf Fortress), I'm less sure! I know I'd still play it, but I think this would make me like it a bit less. I feel like with the new graphics, there was much more of an allowance for mini-games, like that chocobo dodger game. I don't think FF9's graphics would be capable of allowing you to play a game like that.

qwertysaur
02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
The gameplay is much more important that the graphics, but I won't complain if it looks pretty as well. :p

Jecht Shot
02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
To be honest, I probably wouldn't love it as much as I do. The graphics in FFX help tell the story, with the emotions and facial expressions. Those kinda things lose their impact in 2D or PS1-era 3D. I really can't sit here and argue that the ending would've been quite as powerful with FFVI-like or FFIX-like graphics.

I think anybody that argues that graphics don't make a difference in a game, is wrong to an extent, because they clearly do in cases such as this.

Its odd, because thats where games are so, so different from movies/TV and books, or even comics in that sense. You can see people's emotions in movies and on TV. But even in books, you can describe peoples emotions and facial expressions and it can stand toe-to-toe with or even surpass a movie. Or in comics, artists can depict them.

But you couldn't really do that in an NES or SNES game, or even a PS1 game to some degree. That is left to the imagination.

While I honestly wouldn't like it as much, I'd still say it would be the best FF. I think the storytelling still surpasses any other FF game. To put it another way, FFVII was more advanced graphically than IV or VI, but I still think IV and VI are better because they have better stories. Maybe its because those games inspired my imagination better than VII did.

Rantz
02-04-2010, 02:11 PM
One of my favourite things about FFX was how pretty it was, so having worse graphics would definitely be detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. Of course, graphics being "less advanced" doesn't automatically make them bad, as long as the designers know how to use their medium.

Moon Rabbits
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I didn't 100% love the graphics of FFX.

As long as the sphere grid and battle system were still around, I wouldn't care if it looked like FFI.

asukaevaunit02
02-05-2010, 01:32 PM
When I first read the title of the thread I thought it said "Graaphmatica" the maths program...

Back to the point, I think the graphics definately help it, really puts the emotion in it. I doubt less graphics could have done the same. That said I was amazed by the graphics and I played it for the first time only 6 months ago.

Lightening
02-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah the graphics did help to make the game more emotional, i would say the voice acting was more important though. I'm not a graphics whore, they mean little to me when I look for games, but i must say it comes as a nice bonus.

Jessweeee♪
02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
If you ask me, the more realistic the graphics are, the easier it is to suspend disbelief. I find it difficult to take adult characters seriously when they look like the FFIV and FFIII remakes. This is why it's harder for me to get into the older games in the series.

Flying Arrow
02-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Probably the black sheep answer here, but the graphics (and music) are the only thing that made me replay the game a few years ago and make me consider busting it out every now and then even today. I find most of the game to be pretty unfulfilling in general, which is due to a combination of level-design, difficulty, and cut-scene frequency. Every time I'm astounded by the audio/visual portion of the game, the rest of the, er, game comes along and reminds me why I was so put off by the whole thing even as a teenager (a teenager who, by the way, used to look forward to the release of each new numbered FF more than the second coming of Christ). Also, I find the game's cinematic pretensions really end up hurting it in the end. Can't help but feel that the static yet explorable pre-rendered artwork of the PS1 entries to be far more engaging than FFX's constant movie-like cutscenes and voiced dialogue.

I don't think it's a bad game, really, just one that unfortunately fell flat in a lot of important ways.

Breine
03-17-2010, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't mind inferior graphics, but then the game had to have been released for the PSone, y'know.

I vividly remember enjoying the - at the time - groundbreaking and beautiful graphics. The FMVs were amazing back then.