PDA

View Full Version : Lightning's real name... (spoilers)

SuperMillionaire
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I heard that Lightning's real name is Eclair Farron. The word "eclair" is actually French for "lightning," but is more commonly associated with a type of pastry found in bakeries. This makes me wonder: did her parents once own a bakery shop?

"Mmmmmm... eclairs... delicious!" LOL

Vermachtnis
02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Eclair makes me think of the Princess in La Pucelle. Which had a bunch of food named people.

SuperMillionaire
02-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Hmph. Apparently, Tetsuya Nomura is starting to pick even weirder names named after food instead of the sky. Man, his character names are extremely exotic!

Psychotic
02-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Hahaha, Eclair. Oh dear.

Levian
02-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Hahaha, Eclair. Oh dear.

That was my exact reaction. xD

I still can't forget that picture you sent me of that moustached german shoving an eclair in his mouth.

Psychotic
02-05-2010, 03:58 PM
That wasn't his mouth.

Madame Adequate
02-05-2010, 05:02 PM
It does seem rather... whimsical. Much more in keeping with the sort of thing NIS would do. I can see why she prefers to go by Lightning!

~*~Celes~*~
02-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I happen to find eclairs to be tasty, so perhaps she'll be a tasty character?

Also since when is the XIII forum at the top of the forums? I'm not complaining cause it's actually a good idea to incorporate some of the lower forums up top especially the newer games that newcomers will be looking for. But it was unexpected o.o

Rye
02-05-2010, 05:28 PM
The name Eclair is cute, but it reminds me more of a doughy Palmer like character than a main character. xD

I really want one now.

Sephiroth
02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Hm, I have never noticed her real name in Final Fantasy XIII. And I've been waiting for it, I thought I would know her name at the end of the storyline. And I don't think I have just missed it.

Where did you get this information?

Jessweeee♪
02-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I thought it was already announced o.o

Also I am lost, I thought I was further south, but then I went to the forum index to see that I went north instead D:

Ouch!
02-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I was under the impression that it had been announced as something like Dia Walruva a long time ago.

Psychotic
02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Also since when is the XIII forum at the top of the forums? I'm not complaining cause it's actually a good idea to incorporate some of the lower forums up top especially the newer games that newcomers will be looking for. But it was unexpected o.o
Yep, this how we rollin' now. It'll be up here for the next couple of months or so.

I was under the impression that it had been announced as something like Dia Walruva a long time ago.
...Die Walrus?

I can't get behind that.

Jessweeee♪
02-05-2010, 07:32 PM

I remember a lot of people being reminded of vaginas at the time!

vinnie's mini's
02-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I actually quite like the name Eclair, though I don't really think it suits Lightning very much. Still I think its a cute name :omghey: I'm willing to roll with it if it really is her name. :bigsmile:

Shiny
02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
It's Shanniqua.

Peegee
02-06-2010, 04:02 AM
It's Shanniqua.

Americaniqua

SuperMillionaire
02-07-2010, 05:23 AM
I think her real name should have been "Claire," but it's alright. Maybe she'll own a bake shop someday and sell eclairs... LOL

qwertysaur
02-07-2010, 06:09 AM
I think her real name should have been "Claire," but it's alright. Maybe she'll own a bake shop someday and sell eclairs... LOL
You do know the fate of A l'cie is that they turn into a crystal when their mission is completed right?

SuperMillionaire
02-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Yes, I know... LOL, this just really makes me laugh.

Shlup
02-07-2010, 08:52 AM
I hope the game lets me change her name so I can make it Cupcake. Eclairs are gross.

Sephiroth
02-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I hope the game lets me change her name so I can make it Cupcake. Eclairs are gross.

You cannot rename her. Otherwise the characters couldn't call her "Lightning" or "Light".

oddler
02-07-2010, 09:39 PM
How is lightning translated into eclair in French? I get la foudre. :)

Madame Adequate
02-07-2010, 11:02 PM
How is lightning translated into eclair in French? I get la foudre. :)

I misread that as la fondue, which only made things funnier.

Shiny
02-07-2010, 11:27 PM
It's Shanniqua.

Americaniqua

Kooladria. Eclair is a lame name. It's like they were really hungry when they were thinking of character names.

SuperMillionaire
02-07-2010, 11:37 PM
It's Shanniqua.

Americaniqua

Kooladria. Eclair is a lame name. It's like they were really hungry when they were thinking of character names.

Indeed, Shiny.

Momiji
02-08-2010, 01:11 AM
Eclair is a super-cute name and my interest in Lightning just spiked.

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2010, 04:46 AM
Do you also like the pastry, Momiji?

Momiji
02-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Sure, why not.

qwertysaur
02-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Eclair?
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/258/100eclair.jpg

Vermachtnis
02-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Eclair??
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/AKA_Gluttony/Eclair.jpg

Shlup
02-08-2010, 06:29 AM

You cannot rename her. Otherwise the characters couldn't call her "Lightning" or "Light".

That's one thing I don't like about the newer games, where they have audio of the characters' names. I mean, I never did change their names, but I want the option dammit. The only time I've ever changed a character's name was when Garnet wanted to change her name to Dagger; I made it Tenrag.

Del Murder
02-08-2010, 06:38 AM
I always changed the names. It was annoying in FFX though when they never say Tidus's name. It would be cool if they had voice recognition of what you put in, but I imagine that would be hard to program.

Sephiroth
02-08-2010, 07:09 AM
It would be cool if they had voice recognition of what you put in, but I imagine that would be hard to program.

Then they would have to censor 10000000 words.

And I like it you cannot remake the protagonists in the newer Final Fantasy. Many people rename them when they have the option and I don't want such great characters to be "offended" because they have idiotic names which ruins the character or at least makes a fool of them.

Del Murder
02-08-2010, 07:31 AM

And I like it you cannot remake the protagonists in the newer Final Fantasy. Many people rename them when they have the option and I don't want such great characters to be "offended" because they have idiotic names which ruins the character or at least makes a fool of them.
That's part of the fun of it. :) Also I'm not sure how a fictional character can get offended by naming him 'Buttwipe'.

Rye
02-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Whenever I name a character something like that Del, I feel insanely guilty and erase file almost immediately. :(

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Well, Tetsuya Nomura likes picking extremely exotic names having to do with the sky. How he came up with that concept, I have no idea.

Momiji
02-08-2010, 02:05 PM
And sweet things as well, now that there is Eclair and Vanille.

qwertysaur
02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Well, Tetsuya Nomura likes picking extremely exotic names having to do with the sky. How he came up with that concept, I have no idea.
How the mind of Tetsuya Nomura works will forever be a mystery to all :p

theundeadhero
02-08-2010, 02:12 PM
kooladria would be awesome.

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2010, 04:29 PM
And sweet things as well, now that there is Eclair and Vanille.
Yes, sweet treats too, like bakery pastries and frozen desserts...

How the mind of Tetsuya Nomura works will forever be a mystery to all :p

I know, he's a very... interesting game developer, to say the least...

SuperMillionaire
03-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Hey guys, I just found out that in the Western localization, her real name was modified into "Claire," which, to me, makes more sense than "Eclair," although I still find the name interesting.

Citizen Bleys
03-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Eclair?
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/258/100eclair.jpg

Win.

Whenever I name a character something like that Del, I feel insanely guilty and erase file almost immediately.

Conversely, on my favorite Suikoden V playthrough, Prince Assface led the Bad Motherfucker Army.

Loony BoB
03-29-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought the name was revealed to be Claire in the game... I mean, when the person who said it said it, she certainly reacted as though it was accurate.

EDIT: And a quick check confirms what I thought. :p Sure, the Japanese translation is basically Eclair, but not the English translation.

SuperMillionaire
03-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Her real name in the Japanese version is Eclair, but was changed to "Claire" in the Western versions, and I had a feeling they would do that.

Moon Rabbits
03-29-2010, 05:04 PM
kooladria would be awesome.

Watermelondria

Croyles
03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Claire definitely makes more sense in English than Eclair.
http://www.thesearethedroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Eclair.gif

Momiji
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
I thought the name was revealed to be Claire in the game... I mean, when the person who said it said it, she certainly reacted as though it was accurate.

EDIT: And a quick check confirms what I thought. :p Sure, the Japanese translation is basically Eclair, but not the English translation.

And suddenly, the name is only half as cute as I thought it was. :(

Sephiroth
03-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Dysley calls her "Claire" while he used his shapeshifting ability.

Croyles
03-29-2010, 11:09 PM

Yes thanks I know. Ive completed the game :roll2

SuperMillionaire
03-30-2010, 01:24 PM
http://www.thesearethedroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Eclair.gif

Well now, that's one big eclair!

I kinda wish I could just pull it right out of the screen and eat it.

Setzer the Gambler
03-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Is Square running out of ideas???

Are there any other food names in the game?
Or other elements name by any chance?

I mean, there's a Lightning, why not Tornado, Blizzard and Flame?
;)

SuperMillionaire
03-30-2010, 01:42 PM
It's not Square Enix that's running out of ideas, it's just Tetsuya Nomura.

Loony BoB
03-30-2010, 03:26 PM
I actually like the links between character names (Cloud/Squall/Snow/Lightning).

SuperMillionaire
03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Tetsuya Nomura's Final Fantasies tend to be more modern and sci-fi than the medieval styles of the other character designers such as Akihiro Yoshida and Toshiyuki Itahana. And as such, he tends to give his main characters names related to natural elements such as the sky, the land, and the sea; the central main character always has the sky-based name.

And unlike the others, "Lightning" is an alias, not her real name.

Loony BoB
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but the fact that it's what she's called remains in line with the other three.

SuperMillionaire
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Indeed.

Mercen-X
03-30-2010, 05:45 PM
How is lightning translated into eclair in French? I get la foudre.
You're not supposed to try to translate lightning into French. You're supposed to translate Eclair into English. Of course, modern translators are fragged enough that they'll translate Eclair to Eclair because they're programmed by numb-helms. Anyway, here's Wiki's take (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89clair_(pastry)). And Etymology (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=eclair).

There's a Lightning, why not Tornado, Blizzard and Flame?Yes. I like those names. Blitz, Thunder, Static, Shock, Wind, Gust, Cyclone, Breeze, Freeze, Frost, Ice, Diamond, Chill, Fire, Blaze, Heat...

Blizzard is several Marvel villains, a GI Joe character, and a character from the Penalty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Penalty_(film)).
Tornado is the name of three superheroes (Red Tornado|Marvel and Tornado Twins|DC) as well as a character from NX Files (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_Files).
Flame is the name of a humanoid walking robot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_%28robot%29), a superhero from Wonderworld Comics, and a character from Spyro (as a dragon) and Spider Riders.
Static is the name of an electric hero on a show called Static Shock.
Wind is the Americanized name of a wind-wielding warrior from an Eastern-originated flick called Storm Riders (Americanized).
Likewise, Frost is the name of a warrior whose touch is cold as ice from the same movie as well as the name of a Mortal Kombat character (one of my favorites).
Blitz is the last name of a character from Hellsing and a Flash-based character in Big Bang Comics.
Thunder is the name of three DC heroes including a future Shazam wielder as well as a character from GI Joe and Killer Instinct.
Gust is the last name of several real people but has never been used for a fictional character as yet recorded. It's also the name of what appears to be a card game or card designer.
Cyclone is the name of two villains, a heroine, and a transforming suit of Robotech armor.
Except perhaps for EverQuest, there are no fictional characters named Breeze but there is a trulife DJ named Mark Breeze.
Mr. Freeze seems to be the only person or character with the name.
Diamond is a character from Shugo-Chara!
Joe Chill is the name of a thug who supposedly killed Bruce Wayne's parents.
There are no characters named Fire but it's apparently used as the last name of a Nobel Prize winner.
Blaze, the creature from MK, a character from Streets of Rage, your callsign in Ace Combat 5, the cat from Sonic, a Superman antagonist, and a minor mention in a book called Yankee in Oz.
Heat is the protagonist from DDS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Devil_Saga) as well as the past identity of Beyond the Grave (Brandon Heat).

Her real name in the Japanese version is Eclair, but was changed to "Claire" in the Western versions, and I had a feeling they would do that.

Sadly, Claire means "clear" and is not as direct a reference to "sky" as Eclair (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=eclair) would be... "Lightning".

There'd be no need to censor anything. There are two possibilities. 1) It's a privately owned game, so who the hell cares? 2) Maybe they could program the game so that only certain words are recognized, thus it would be like unlocking a secret by entering the correct word or phrase.
I don't want great characters to be "offended" because they have idiotic names which ruins the character or at least makes a fool of them.I think you mean "ruined" or something of equivalent definition. As Del Murder said, it's difficult to "offend" a fictional character.

Moon Rabbits
03-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Yes thanks I know. Ive completed the game :roll2

Ow his elitism.

SuperMillionaire
03-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Wow, Mercen-X, that's a lot of interesting data there.

Yes, Claire means clear, but that's a localization.

Serapy
03-30-2010, 10:49 PM
It's obvious that Dysley fancies Lightning. So, he called her Claire to fulfil his sexual fantasy. It's either that or he thought calling her Claire would convince her to change her focus. ''Why did he call me Claire? Does he like me or something? Should I feel sympathy for him?''

Also, if Claire was actually her real name, others would go like 'WTF? That's your real name? What's going!?' But they didn't.

This game has so many ... Sexual stuff.

SuperMillionaire
03-30-2010, 10:54 PM
True, but it's only revealed game-wise very late, but her sister, Serah, knew.

Croyles
03-30-2010, 10:55 PM
It's obvious that Dysley fancies Lightning. So, he called her Claire to fulfil his sexual fantasy. It's either that or he thought calling her Claire would convince her to change her focus. ''Why did he call me Claire? Does he like me or something? Should I feel sympathy for him?''

Also, if Claire was actually her real name, others would go like 'WTF? That's your real name? What's going!?' But they didn't.

The what now?

They didnt say anything because surprises were coming at them a million miles an hour so the revelation of someones real name doesn't quite stack up to the end of the world.

SuperMillionaire
03-30-2010, 11:01 PM
True, indeed, Croyles.

VeloZer0
03-31-2010, 01:16 AM
That would have been some epic writing.

Dysley: "Claire you must destroy the world"
Party: "Your name is Claire?"

Sephiroth
03-31-2010, 01:20 AM

That's one of the things they have deleted even though they were included.

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2010, 03:16 AM
They didnt say anything because surprises were coming at them a million miles an hour so the revelation of someones real name doesn't quite stack up to the end of the world.

I dunno, the end of the world is pretty passe in videogames, it happens in almost all of them. Finding out stuff about a character with a MYSTERIOUS PAST, however...

Snowe didn't say anything because he already knew and MY ARM O GOD I CAN'T MOVE MY ARM!

eestlinc
03-31-2010, 05:24 AM

Dysley does look like a bishop or some other stereotypically perverted old man.

Loony BoB
03-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Really? You should make a thread full of this information. :D

Croyles
03-31-2010, 02:42 PM

:D:D:D:D

SuperMillionaire
03-31-2010, 03:14 PM
LOL

Indeed, finding out about secrets of a mysterious person is quite intriguing.

Sephiroth
03-31-2010, 07:30 PM

Ah, ha, ha, ha.

Loony BoB
03-31-2010, 08:13 PM
No, really! I'm interested to know if anything was cut or different between versions. It's like finding out you didn't read a page in the middle of a great book - of course you want to know what it said!

Sephiroth
03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
No, really! I'm interested to know if anything was cut or different between versions. It's like finding out you didn't read a page in the middle of a great book - of course you want to know what it said!

But you know I was joking?

I do not know everything which has been cut out but Lightning's home for example has been deleted. You were able to walk through her house first. I will see if I can find out something more. I have known some of the deleted places but at the moment I cannot remember.

Loony BoB
03-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Oh, okay. But yeah, still totally interested in differences. :p

SuperMillionaire
03-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, to keep in touch with our cultural differences, SE's localization department changed some things around, but the majority of the storyline remains the same.

They also noted that to many people, "Eclair" would be a pretty weird and funny name, so they rearranged the latters and put the E at the end, renaming her "Claire."

eestlinc
04-01-2010, 05:58 AM
I agree it would be kinda lame if her real name in English was Eclair. When Dysley says her name, it wouldn't even register. "Isn't that right, Eclair" would be like "wtf does pastry have to do with this?"

SuperMillionaire
04-01-2010, 03:44 PM
LOL, most certainly indeed, Eestlinc.

Cloudane
04-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Strange that her name was almost going to be Eclair. I guess it fits in with Serah's theme of having an 'E' there when it shouldn't be (maybe it's a local thing but I've never seen it spelt Serah)

Having avoided the spoilers I was expecting her name to be Jane (or Jene maybe). As there have been Sarahs and Janes a couple of times in Final Fantasies, though I think Jane is usually the mother. Claire is a similarly English-sounding name though, which fits in with both and made 100% sense when I heard it.

Instead they'd call her "you-know-who" and that got pretty jarring in FFX, and very jarring in X-2.

The only time I've ever changed a character's name was when Garnet wanted to change her name to Dagger; I made it Tenrag.

That's the only time I've changed a character's name too, because I thought 'Dagger' was a really dumb name. So I changed it back to Garnet. It was pretty funny watching her say "from now on my name is.. Garnet!" and they're like "right, cool".

SuperMillionaire
04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Her real name WAS Eclair in the Japanese version, but the E was moved to the end, after the R, changing the name to Claire, and I like that better.

Loony BoB
04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I agree it would be kinda lame if her real name in English was Eclair. When Dysley says her name, it wouldn't even register. "Isn't that right, Eclair" would be like "wtf does pastry have to do with this?"
xD Brilliant.

Cloudane
04-06-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd be like "Who are you calling Eclair, Parsley? Or should I say Bratwurstalus?"

SuperMillionaire
04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
ROTFLOL

Aerio
04-09-2010, 06:55 AM
I was for sure her name would be Rose. It just seemed right. When she summons odin, rose petals fall and her crystal is a rose. And lets be honest, I was expecting them to keep the trend of mostly-named-after-random-nouns in place for each character.

Cloudane
04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Nothing to do with being a raging Doctor Who fan, then? :D

It wouldn't be a very long game if he was there too. fal'Cie vs Sonic Screwdriver and a guy who would tear down the sky to save humanity: poor things wouldn't stand a chance :)

SuperMillionaire
04-09-2010, 08:29 PM
I was for sure her name would be Rose. It just seemed right. When she summons odin, rose petals fall and her crystal is a rose. And lets be honest, I was expecting them to keep the trend of mostly-named-after-random-nouns in place for each character.

Nomura's main character names (within the Final Fantasy franchise) are all related to the Earth's sky, land, and sea; the central character always has the sky-based name.

SuperMillionaire
05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while. Had an eclair for dessert the other day, and it just popped into my head: when will Lightning change her name back to Claire? I think it's a very nice name.

Rozaheku
05-31-2010, 08:39 PM
I thought the reason why she changed her name to Lighting to be kind off dumb and emo, first I thought it was supposed to be a code name. :cry:

DarkOrigins
05-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Eclaire? What was Nomura doing when he thought that was an exotic name o.o? It would be pretty epic to have everyone calling her it though.
I wish there was a game where they would pronounce the names you give the characters, that would be cool. Especially as I usually rename the characters to the names of the end bosses of every Final Fantasy. "Isn't that right, Zeromus?" =)

champagne supernova
06-01-2010, 01:29 AM
Eclaire? What was Nomura doing when he thought that was an exotic name o.o? It would be pretty epic to have everyone calling her it though.
I wish there was a game where they would pronounce the names you give the characters, that would be cool. Especially as I usually rename the characters to the names of the end bosses of every Final Fantasy. "Isn't that right, Zeromus?" =)

What, like the Microsoft Speech guy pronouncing the names. Now that would be epic.

Cloudane
06-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I think I'd prefer it to FFX/X-2's Lord Tidus Voldemort syndrome :D
(Rikku even refers to him as you-know-who at one point)

As for Eclair, maybe when it's acceptable for a lead female video game character to be a porker :)

DarkOrigins
06-01-2010, 10:32 PM

What, like the Microsoft Speech guy pronouncing the names. Now that would be epic.

Maybe a bit better than Microsoft Sam, but along the same lines. Maybe you could record names yourself for characters...

SuperMillionaire
06-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I think I'd prefer it to FFX/X-2's Lord Tidus Voldemort syndrome :D
(Rikku even refers to him as you-know-who at one point)

As for Eclair, maybe when it's acceptable for a lead female video game character to be a porker :)

LOL

Yeah, but in the Harry Potter saga, his more appropriate referral is He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

And perhaps they should have made a female Don Corneo in XIII and caller her "Eclair."

Xanthia
06-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Éclair... Ah, to share a name with a kind of long custard-filled French doughnut... She must get discount at the bakery! :D

SuperMillionaire
06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
ROTFLOL

But I thought she was the owner of that bakery, or maybe her parents and sister were the owners...

DarkOrigins
06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
ROTFLOL

But I thought she was the owner of that bakery, or maybe her parents and sister were the owners...

Her parents who are dead? That would be an interesting bakery then

SuperMillionaire
06-10-2010, 06:38 PM
And then of course, Claire and Serah would inherit the bake shop...

Yliette
07-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Well I prefer Eclair over the more common sounding Claire in the English version. Claire is also a French name which means "Clear" and it also happens to be an anagram of Eclair.

SuperMillionaire
07-21-2010, 07:43 PM
The name "Claire" is loosely related to the sky in that there are days with "clear skies," but her alias of "Lightning" is the proper representation of Tetsuya Nomura's sky-based naming trend.

Also, "Eclair" is the French word for lightning, but it's also the name of a bakery pastry with custard cream filling and chocolate fudge topping.