PDA

View Full Version : The Uncanny Valley

Rye
02-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Have you ever seen someone who looks just like someone you know, either IRL or online, but has one very different characteristic that just kind of seems out of place?

Hux and I constantly run into this bloke around the shops near his house that looks JUST like Psychotic. Dresses just like him too. Except instead of Paul's haircut, he has this spikey punk thing going out. Not quite spikey, like liberty spikes, but more like a spikey mullet, except not quite long enough to be a mullet, if that makes sense. It's so unusual!

Slothy
02-06-2010, 01:48 PM
My sister and her boyfriend once ran into a guy who looks a lot like my dad in a liquor store in one of the other two cities in my province. Eerily like him in fact. What didn't occur to them at the time is that he was born in that city but given up for adoption. There's a reasonable chance the guy they saw is actually a blood relative. I still wish I had been there with them just to see the guy for myself.

Aside from that, the closest I've come to seeing a dude who looks a lot like another dude is a friend of mine who looks pretty much exactly like a more rugged Tom Welling. It's honestly hard to even describe exactly what the difference is to be honest. More rugged is the only descriptor I can think of but I can't even place exactly why.

Rodarian
02-06-2010, 02:04 PM
You know whats funny! Two days back I met a variant copy of myself.
Had to visit my Campus for some work and I was talking to this some my juniors(seniors) and there he was with them!

The difference was that he was caucasian with blond hair with blue eyes but his facial structure is a near match. Oh and he's from Canada too! We stared at each other for quite a bit before we laughed and chatted for a couple of minutes.. Is it ironic that when weird things happen, no one has a camera around!! :colbert:

Chloe.
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
This reminds me of the time when me and my best friend were shopping in town and we saw this man that looked just like her dad, she took a picture of him on her phone, it was hilarious. :p We then saw him a few more times whilst walking around the shops, that was a little scary.

Raistlin
02-06-2010, 05:10 PM
There's a 2L at my law school who looks just like Emerald Aeris (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/emerald%2Baeris.html). I did a double-take the first time I saw her. It was really creepy. The "different characteristic" I guess would be attending law school. And, y'know, American.

I don't remember any other incident of that happening to me.

Madonna
02-07-2010, 02:44 AM
When traveling to the Dark Mirror Universe of Evil, often one may encounter variations upon a theme, most of which are not for the best!

Tavrobel
02-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Someone's been reading the Avatar entry on Wikipedia.

Topic: no.

NorthernChaosGod
02-07-2010, 06:47 AM
I totally thought this thread was going to be about robots or clones or something related to the TVTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley) article.

How sad I am.

Jiro
02-07-2010, 10:00 AM
I was in the city the other day and I saw two guys that seriously looked like Stu. I knew after the second sighting that I was insane and obviously imagining Stu everywhere.

Rodarian
02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Even I thought the topic was about robots and CGI ...Maybe the topic should say Familial Resemblance?!

Unbreakable Will
02-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I was the doppelganger, when I moved to a new school all the kids said that I looked exactly like this guy that just graduated. Not only do we look alike but we are both named Will. :eek:

Jiro
02-08-2010, 03:27 AM
But you were obviously superior

theundeadhero
02-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Last week I met someone who looked very similar to my friend Cher only she had a slightly more german appearance. She had the same hair cut and dressing style and everything.

Unbreakable Will
02-08-2010, 07:03 AM
But you were obviously superior
Of course. :colbert:
LOL

I Took the Red Pill
02-08-2010, 07:19 AM
I thought I saw Levian but then I realized it was just a meerkat and then I asked myself why I was in Africa

Meat Puppet
02-12-2010, 04:32 AM
YouTube - BFTE Cosmetics Haul and Review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2A635DUt14)

I remember posting this but I guess my brain melted off the map instead. Jason showed it to me because it looks like someone I know and I said nah you’re crazy man but after a while it kind of did.