PDA

View Full Version : The first of a new experience

theundeadhero
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
How do you guys feel about how SE first made the switch in this game from rehashing the original to creating a 3D world? I didn't really like it. My first few times through the game I played the rom version and found it really enjoyable. Then once it came around I tried out the 3D version that was put on the DS. It changed the experience in a way I didn't like. What are your opinions? I wish they had remade it traditional style.

VeloZer0
02-09-2010, 01:24 AM
I loved the remake, but I also never got more than ~3 hours into the original version. However, I have beaten FFIV several times, and I love the remake even more than the original, so I imagine it would be the same.

I think it just depends on if you like chibi style sprites or not. I personally do, but if you don't you probably wouldn't like the game.

Vermachtnis
02-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Nothing really changed gameplay wise though. Other than not having all the characters from the get go. I liked the 3-D graphics more than the Nes graphics.

qwertysaur
02-09-2010, 02:05 PM
A lot of the job classes were adorable in the remake. :p

Elpizo
02-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I like the change to individual characters in III DS. However, I wish they had continued making it for the PS2 instead of the DS. It would have been even better then.

Though it has to be said, the DS version had some great music.

Overall, though, I like both version equally. They both are worth playing through at least once.

Zeromus_X
02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I really liked the DS version, it was nice to see how they translated the NES game into 3D and what things were changed.

Bastian
02-19-2010, 07:53 PM
I really wanted to play the DS version when it came out, so I first forced myself through a rom of the NES version. I liked it. But when I finally got my hands on the DS version . . . loved it! They did a good job of not changing so much that it felt like a totally different game. Really, they didn't change much at all.

Flying Arrow
03-01-2010, 01:11 PM
They did a good job of not changing so much that it felt like a totally different game. Really, they didn't change much at all.

I have the same feelings as theundeadhero. Something about it just didn't grab me and it was probably because it wasn't changed at all. Still a good game, though. This time it's probably just me.

Jiro
03-02-2010, 01:14 PM
I have not played the original, but I still felt it was a little bit off. I still enjoyed it though. I'm pretty :bou::bou::bou::bou: at the job system so III and V were less enjoyable for me.

heutenitaz
04-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Final Fantasy III benefits from a complete makeover in its first US appearance, transforming from the ugly duckling of the mainline Final Fantasy series into a must-have for DS owners!

Hot Shot
04-28-2010, 06:57 AM
I must admit, I really didn't like this game prior to remaking it because the story was boring, the gameplay felt very slow and dated by todays standards (which I understand, but it just puts me off) and visually it gave me headaches to play it. The remake didn't really enhance the experience the game all that much, but the visuals were a vast improvement (not that graphics are the most important thing, it just helps if it has good graphics) and the the makers attempted to make the characters have personalities which did make it a bit more interesting. But all in all, I thought it was a poor attempt at a remake because they changed it too much form the original, yet the changes didn't make it any better really.

In all honestly I would much rather play the 2d remakes of I and II than play this poor attempt to revive this game because, at least to me, I and II seemed more genuine than III if that makes any sense

theundeadhero
05-22-2010, 05:11 AM
I just really didn't like it being in 3D. It put the game way off for me so I didn't play much of it.

Wolf Kanno
07-07-2010, 08:40 AM
I never got a chance to play the original, and I don't even have the ROM for (though I doubt I would touch it) so the DS is all I had to go on but I really really liked it. Believe me, I was pretty amazed myself by how well the game stood the years. Hell my biggest gripe with the game is just trying to send those damn emails to get the sidequests for all the cool :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I still have never used the Onion Knight and will never take advantage of all the classes I've mastered. :cry:

VeloZer0
07-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Hell my biggest gripe with the game is just trying to send those damn emails to get the sidequests for all the cool . I still have never used the Onion Knight and will never take advantage of all the classes I've mastered.
This is the kind of douchebagary I envisioned when the edict was handed down that all SE game will have online components from now on :(

With the graphics elevated to the level of FF4 DS you can really see that the series didn't just jump from NES->SNES levels of sophistication like most people seem to envision. FF3 was very close to being on the level of FF4, in some ways on par or even above.

Elpizo
07-08-2010, 11:20 AM
With the graphics elevated to the level of FF4 DS you can really see that the series didn't just jump from NES->SNES levels of sophistication like most people seem to envision. FF3 was very close to being on the level of FF4, in some ways on par or even above.

Very true. IV was, graphics-wise, a NES game with more colours. It wasn't until FF V that the series really left its NES-look behind.

Crossblades
07-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I have played both the original NES rom and the DS version. I enjoyed the NES version very much, but I enjoyed the DS version alot more. I like how the classes were more balanced in the DS version as opposed to the NES version where some were just overpowered. I also like how the DS version doesn't really force you to use certain jobs in certain parts of the game. I also like how the difficulty was balanced. Like I said, I enjoyed playing the NES rom. But the DS version will always be a winner for me.

Marshall Banana
07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
I can overlook lackluster story telling in a Famicom game, but not in a DS game. Some of the serious scenes in the DS version actually make me laugh out loud, because the dialogue is just so unimaginative:

"WARRIORS OF LIGHT, I HAVE COME TO THIS PLACE TO DESTROY YOU BY ORDER OF XANDE. YOU WILL MEET YOUR DOOM, NOW, AT THIS TIME. AFTER I DESTROY YOU, I WILL TAKE THE POWERS OF THE CRYSTAL AND HAVE POWERS."

I enjoy the remake, despite that, though. I just don't feel much about the characters' plights.

A lot of the job classes were adorable in the remake. :p
Refia's Black Mage outfit won me over instantly! It was the big bow!

I'm taken with the Geomancer outfit, too! Both Refia and Arc are Geomancers in my current game, so I can't tell that Arc isn't a girl. Geomancer also happens to be my favorite job so far, because it doesn't rely on weapons or MP, yet is really powerful. With two Geomancers in my party, I feel like I have an unfair advantage in boss fights. =O