PDA

View Full Version : I like my Pokemon Red and Blue & 5th gen can get covered in snot

theundeadhero
02-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a guide that lists what pokemon you can catch where by level? For example, I know I can catch a Ratata outside Pallet Town but what I would like is a guide that says you can catch a Lvl3-lvl5 Ratata. The goal is to catch these pokemon at the lowest possible level to make them uberstrong.

qwertysaur
02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Pokéarth - Kanto - Route 1 (http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/kanto/route1.shtml)
This is just the route 1 page, you just use the drop down boxes to choose which area you want to look at.

Tavrobel
02-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Route 1 - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Route_1)
Another Pokemon resource. Serebii.net is a strong influence on Bulbapedia, so, either way you go, you're likely to find what you want, and what you want is probably not misleading and verifiable.

EDIT: Changed order of words to reflect the reality after realizing that I had switched ideas one too many times.

Momiji
02-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Seconding Bulbapedia and Serebii.

Kumo
02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I live and die by Serebii . . . or at least my pokemon do . . .

Goldenboko
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Serebii.net is probably the most reliable pokemon resource.

Rostum
02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Blue is still my favourite. /memories

Raistlin
02-10-2010, 12:06 AM
I thought this was going to be about which Pokemon version you owned/favored, and would turn into a brutal nerd battle.

Red FTW.

Goldenboko
02-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I thought this was going to be about which Pokemon version you owned/favored, and would turn into a brutal nerd battle.

Red FTW.

Word. All you Blue owners can go suck :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

Tavrobel
02-10-2010, 12:19 AM
RED

Jessweeee♪
02-10-2010, 12:23 AM
BLUE ;_;

I spent hours on bulbapedia reading about red/blue glitches xD

EDIT:

I have a tendency to buy the least "loud" color. Of the pairs, I bought Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Leaf Green, and Pearl xD

Well no. I didn't buy Blue. My mommy did because my three favorite things when I was nine were video games, Pokemon, and the color blue.

Ouch!
02-10-2010, 01:36 AM
HeartGold for the fucking win!

Momiji
02-10-2010, 01:50 AM
I was playing Green version for a while, then I stopped for some reason.

god I can't wait for SoulSilver to come out~

NeoCracker
02-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Any version I can get Scyther. You Can't get him in blue, so that game can go fuck itself. ^_^

Ramza Beoulve
02-10-2010, 04:04 AM
YELLOW!!! *Is shot*

Sir Lancealot
02-10-2010, 04:20 AM
YELLOW!!! *Is shot*

*Is also shot*

Jiro
02-10-2010, 04:33 AM
YELLOW!!! *Is shot*

*Is also shot*

*pile of bodies*

NorthernChaosGod
02-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I bought Red, Yellow, and Gold.

I stopped playing the games at that point.

Mo-Nercy
02-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Boo-urns. Yellow smells. I don't want to start with Pikachu.

Red is by far the superior, if only because it had a Charizard on the cover.

Slothy
02-10-2010, 12:52 PM

This. Charmander in all of his evolutionary forms kicks all other Pokemon in the rump.

qwertysaur
02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Blue is really green. :p Blue in Japan is a third game.

I have the following
Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, Emerald, Leaf Green, Diamond, Plaitnum and HeartGold is coming. :D

blackmage_nuke
02-10-2010, 01:23 PM
RED AND PINBALL

Psychotic
02-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I will kick any of your asses at Pokemon Stadium's Rock Harden minigame.

Honest to god, I will make you my bitch and suckle on my teats.

Mo-Nercy
02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
If you're all feeling a bit too nerdy with all the Pokemon chit-chat, here's something that'll make you feel normal again

http://www.infendo.com/uploaded_images/7671_3-734366.JPG

Cool stripe down the middle though.

Raistlin
02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Some of my college roommates and friends broke out Pokemon Stadium for the N64 last year and started talking about the Pokemon's different elements and what attacks they had and what were effective against which kind of Pokemon. I thought I was an obnoxious nerd.

Jessweeee♪
02-10-2010, 06:24 PM
If you're all feeling a bit too nerdy with all the Pokemon chit-chat, here's something that'll make you feel normal again

http://www.infendo.com/uploaded_images/7671_3-734366.JPG

Cool stripe down the middle though.

Now I finally know what I want to do with all of those Pokémon cards I collected in elementary school!

Sephiroth
02-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Oh my goodness, a Final Fantasy site with Pokémon threads (two things I really love). I like you guys.

To answer the first question - indeed, serebii.net is a very good site for such things, but I think if you want to know which pokémon you can find on which level and their location, then - i think - you will definitely find it if you search for it on gamefaqs.com.

Mhh, which were my favorite Editions?

Generation 1: Red
Generation 2: Crystal
Generation 3: Emerald
Generation 4: Pearl (482/493 - left: Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Darkrai, Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Arceus)

Masamunemaster
02-10-2010, 09:38 PM
REDby far my favorite, even though I always used bulbasaur to destroy faces lol

Super Christ
02-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Hard to say which my favorite of all is. Probably Emerald. I liked having a secret base in the bush on that route where it's always raining.

Jiro
02-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Screw you guys, Pikachu is awesome. Yellow whips.

Although I will admit Charmander is pretty badass. And Psy, one day I will challenge you in Pokémon Stadium. I was a goddamn champion at that game

Momiji
02-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Oh yeah, on the subject of Pokémon:

Meet the first unveiled 5th gen. Pokémon.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg73/unhealthiest/zoroarkzorua.jpg

Tavrobel
02-11-2010, 03:53 AM

This. Charmander in all of his evolutionary forms kicks all other Pokemon in the rump.

Sup, Aerodactyl?

Also, Gen V needs to introduce more creative Pokemon type combinations. We don't need more pure Water types. We need stuff like Dark/Fighting, Grass/Ghost, Electric/Fire (like Touhoumon's Marisa). It's already hard enough to balance Pokemon with the same types, different movesets, and different stats, that half of them get thrown into the garbage tier. It's a shame. Maybe I want to use my Clefable!

Mo-Nercy
02-11-2010, 04:23 AM
Oh yeah, on the subject of Pokémon:

Meet the first unveiled 5th gen. Pokémon.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg73/unhealthiest/zoroarkzorua.jpg
Looks like a Dark/Fire type.
Awesomesauce.

Evastio
02-11-2010, 04:34 AM
So according to Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/generation5/) there's now going to be a 5th Generation of Pokemon. They've already revealed two Pokemon, which are foxes and are Dark Type.

Zorua
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/Kyudi/Zorua.png

Zoroark
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii157/Kyudi/Zoroark.png

Pretty cool huh? I'm thinking of sticking one on my team already. I'm not one for competitive battling so I just stick to my favourites and form a team and strategy from there.

And although this has fake written all over it, there's also Farfetch'd and Delibird evolution pictures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/shadowwalker625/2a4dbdeef98205900e768a0ed1333353.jpg

The Delibird one looks somewhat authentic, though the feet are a bit awkward. As for Farfetch'd, nice try, but Gamefreak would probably stick with having Farfetch'd's (sheesh, does that look weird, two apostrophes in the same word) evolution still being able to use its wings as hands.

Tavrobel
02-11-2010, 04:41 AM
lol (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/129724-i-like-my-pokemon-red-blue-2.html)

Evastio
02-11-2010, 04:51 AM
I'm glad I didn't post "1 million bucks says that Tavrobel will post here saying any Pokemon past the original 151 don't exist."

I'm pretty sure that the all new 5th Generation of Pokemon deserve a separate topic from the original 1st Generation. But I guess we'll leave that up to the EoFF staff.

Tavrobel
02-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Pokemon past the original 151 don't exist.

They don't.

What exists past the first generation is the improved game mechanics.

Momiji
02-11-2010, 05:13 AM
According to the little bios there, they're both pure Dark types.

Meat Puppet
02-11-2010, 05:15 AM
and other pokémon

almost forgot that one, my brother-in-arms

Tavrobel
02-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Boring.

I've already got Absol, Umbreon, and a bunch of other pure Dark types.

Momiji
02-11-2010, 05:30 AM
I don't care if it's fake or not, Masamunegi looks like a badass and I want it in my party, or at least in my Pokédex.

Jiro
02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm with Momiji on this one.

Polnareff
02-11-2010, 12:58 PM
I don't care if it's fake or not, Masamunegi looks like a badass and I want it in my party, or at least in my Pokédex.

I like Toribiido myself. :D

Anyway the two fox Pokemon appear to be called "Zoroa" and "Zoroaaku" respectively.

Anyway, Evastio, what reason do you have to doubt the Farfetch'd and Delibird evolutions? Both look real and both their sprites look real. I don't see the problem. :confused:

And besides, weirder Pokemon have gotten evolutions. Hello Tangela and Togepi. And Magmar.

qwertysaur
02-11-2010, 01:28 PM
I hope that there will finally be a dark type gym :hyper:

Momiji
02-11-2010, 01:51 PM
And besides, weirder Pokemon have gotten evolutions. Hello Tangela and Togepi. And Magmar.

Hey. Hey.

My Togekiss will tear you apart. :cool:

qwertysaur
02-11-2010, 02:04 PM
The weirdest of all has to be Probopass

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/1e/Spr_4p_476.png

Psychotic
02-11-2010, 02:22 PM
151 or gtfo guys. :colbert:

Rase
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
The weirdest of all has to be Probopass

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/1e/Spr_4p_476.png
Jewmon to the rescue!

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2010, 09:14 PM
If it's not clever wordplay, then it's not a real Pokémon.

qwertysaur
02-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Serebii.net Pokédex - #365 Walrein (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/365.shtml)

Walrein, #365 :doublecolbert:

Psychotic
02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
God damn that is one ugly motherfucker. The middle one's cool though.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Hey look an Ice/Water Pokémon! Just what we nee- oh wait, no. We have Seel.

theundeadhero
02-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Well of course Red is the best. Why would I want to ask when I already know?

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Yellow is the best.

NorthernChaosGod
02-12-2010, 12:19 AM

This.

Shiny
02-12-2010, 12:47 AM
I kept waiting for green to come out for Gameboy color. Red is the first Poke game I got and it's my favorite aside from Gold.

Jessweeee♪
02-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Yellow is the best.

Third is the one with the hairy chest!

Aerith's Knight
02-12-2010, 01:06 AM
I only played red. It was awesome.

Evastio
02-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Anyway, Evastio, what reason do you have to doubt the Farfetch'd and Delibird evolutions? Both look real and both their sprites look real. I don't see the problem. :confused:

The link was posted on GameFAQs and all the posters in the topic pretty much agreed they were fake (mostly because of "GAME FLEAK inc." at the bottom).

As for my reasons, it has nothing to do with the fact that it's Farfetch'd and Delibird getting the evolutions (I actually want them and others like Dunsparce and Qwilfish to have evolutions as well).

I guess if anything, it's a gut feeling. They didn't seem to get as much publicity or hype for those two as Zorua and Zoroark (usually it's Coro Coro revealing new Pokemon stuff, and it wasn't them revealing those two evolutions, which seems a bit fishy to me), Serebii and other sites didn't ever make any mention of those two, and the screenshot looks a little too similar to the 4th Generation for me to accept it as a screenshot from the upcoming 5th Generation games. I'd be okay if those two were actually real 5th Generation Pokemon, but I just want a bit more confirmation before I accept them as real Pokemon.

qwertysaur
02-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Dunsparce. So useless :p

Tavrobel
02-12-2010, 04:24 AM

sup Lapras?

... and Cloyster.

qwertysaur
02-12-2010, 04:28 AM
Seel is just water. Dewgong is Water/Ice :p

Quindiana Jones
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Seel evolves NOOB. :mad2:

And Cloyster is a ballbag. Lapras is cool though.

Sephiroth
02-12-2010, 10:00 PM
There are more Water/Ice pokémon. Such as Spheal, Sealo and Walrein.

Quindiana Jones
02-12-2010, 10:01 PM
They are all unnecessary because Dewgong is awesome.

I want more ridiculous Pokémon. Like Ghost/Dark types and stuff. That was insane.

Tavrobel
02-12-2010, 10:04 PM
There are more Water/Ice pokémon. Such as Spheal, Sealo and Walrein.

First 151, newb.

I want Touhoumon typed Pokemon. Electric/Fire is badass.

Quindiana Jones
02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Hell yeah. Electric/Fire DOES sound badass. More Rock/Flyings too.

Tavrobel
02-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Ghost/everything. We just plain don't have nearly enough Ghosts. Sure, they're supposed to be Pokemon that you can't hurt or find, but c'mon, Gengar's always been the most useful non-lgendary Ghost. It's hard to believe that, other than its Psychic weakness, that it's still the only option for an offensive Ghost type Pokemon. It has the best overall stats, excellent Speed to boot, and the best moveset, and I mean the best for its uses.

qwertysaur
02-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Seel evolves NOOB. :mad2:

And Cloyster is a ballbag. Lapras is cool though.
Why do you think I mentioned Dewgong then :p

Dusknoir is a very strong contender for strongest ghost type. Pure ghost, and can use the elemental punches, so you never know what one can throw at you.

Driftblim is also a floating tank, they take forever to kill. Ghost/Flying :p

Rotom is also fun, Elec/Ghost. Zap!

Froslass is Ice/Ghost and has snow cloak, so when you use hail the opponent takes damage while you get higher evasion.

Sableye and Spiritomb both are Ghost/Dark, so they have no weakness unless the opponent uses foresight.

Giratina is Ghost/Dragon and it destroys things. Shadow Force, ghost type fly, very strong, deadly accuracy of the ghost type. :D

Shedinja is a weird one, Bug/Ghost and it can only be hurt if it is weak to the attack.

Depression Moon
02-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Every generation the new pokemon start to look less and less like pokemon and less creative and clever with the names as well.

Tavrobel
02-12-2010, 11:57 PM
And out of those (and Giratina is a legendary, so gtfo), how many do you see in PvP? Dusknoir, Rotom, and Spiritomb all have the stats and movesets to do well in a team, but which one of those would you build a team around? They're not sweepers, either.

They get points for having unique type combinations, but when you're dealing with the small number of Ghosts in Pokemon, that distinction gets put into the wash.

Electric/Ground. Grass/Steel. Normal/anythingexceptWaterFlyingPsychic. Hello? There's a good half of the type combinations left. Am I not getting my point across? Are you actually thinking that you can win this argument? How clear do I have to be to express my consternation with this state of affairs like an abomination?

scrumpleberry
02-13-2010, 01:50 AM
I really liked my dunsparce.

Sephiroth
02-13-2010, 01:59 AM
Masamunegi and Tollybird...oh my...and I've thought Magmortar is a weird evolution.

What's next? Mewthree?

Masamunegi should at least be Flying/Fighting. But I think it's no use to hope for it. Look at some other pokémon. Gyarados with Water/Flying instead of Water/Dragon or Tyranitar with Rock/Dark instead of Dragon/Dark, lol.

Tavrobel
02-13-2010, 02:04 AM
No, because Mew doesn't evolve into Mewtwo, and Mewtwo precedes Mew in the Dex.

Sephiroth
02-13-2010, 02:07 AM
No, because Mew doesn't evolve into Mewtwo, and Mewtwo precedes Mew in the Dex.

It doesn't matter. Mewtwo is called "Mew-two" even if it is just the clone of Mew. If they want to they can create a another, a lost clone - the legendary Mewthree, lol.

I just want to say some pokémon really don't need to exist.

Momiji
02-13-2010, 02:22 AM
None of them past 151 need to exist. However, I am quite fond of the 152-251 set (and any of their future generation evolutions).

Levian
02-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Merged both pokemon threads, so continue talking about old or new pokemon, your choice! :mog:

Tavrobel
02-13-2010, 02:26 AM
It doesn't matter. Mewtwo is called "Mew-two" even if it is just the clone of Mew. If they want to they can create a another, a lost clone - the legendary Mewthree, lol.

Yeah, right after they bring back all of the scientists that made Mewtwo back from the dead and Giovanni somehow realizes that he wasn't funding the whole research project. Oops.

NorthernChaosGod
02-13-2010, 02:41 AM
Merged both pokemon threads, so continue talking about old or new pokemon, your choice! :mog:

You got your abominations in my Pokemon!

PuPu
02-13-2010, 03:47 AM
I want a Normal/Dark or a Normal/Ghost type.

The reason?

To KILL WOBBUFFET.

Edit: Nvm, the Normal thing won't do anything. Destiny Bond may be a Ghost type attack, but it doesn't target, so Normal types will still die. God damn you Wobbs, cheapest pokemon ever.

Goldenboko
02-13-2010, 05:39 AM
I think I'm done with Pokemon. I was hoping Diamond and Pearl would be either, A. Massive, or B. Different and it was really neither. I might get SoulSilver or HeartGold, because I loved Silver version so much, but the pokemon are getting lamer and lamer and aren't worth basically rebuying a game I've already played before.

tl;dr Nintendo needs to step up its game.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-13-2010, 06:51 AM
It was ages since I last played Pokemon. Basically, Pokemon Gold was my last one. To say the least, I was not impressed when Gen III came out. I was of the mind that there are only 252 Pokemon for the longest time. Last year, I got a DS Lite and decided to get Pokemon Platinum, I had heard good things about Pearl and Diamond, after all it almost sounded like a second wind into the series' popularity. I got Platinum cuz the third game usually adds new content. Needless to say, I started to enjoy the game quite a bit. It was a big change from Gold to Platinum for me, but I liked it. It really brough back the series to me. To the point that I am now waiting for Pokemon Emerald to come in so I can play it then use Pal Park so I can transfer some Pokemon on my Gen IV games. While Gen III/Hoen Pokemon are for the most part uninspiring (I don't like any of the starters!), I still want to catch a few of the legendaries. Especially the Regis so I can unlock Regigigas. :D

Can't wait for HeartGold! :D

I don't really play Pokemon for PvPing though I occasionally PvP with a friend. I am not one of those insane people who level a bunch of Pokemon to level 100. CRAZY I TELL YOU! CRAZY!

Current team in Platinum are in the late 50s, early 60s. :D

Momiji
02-13-2010, 07:39 AM
But TSoL, you don't have to level them up to 100. There's an option for PvP battling that allows you to set your entire team to lv. 50 or 100, and gives the appropriate stat boosts as well (sans Effort Value stat boosts).

I think I'm done with Pokemon. I was hoping Diamond and Pearl would be either, A. Massive, or B. Different and it was really neither. I might get SoulSilver or HeartGold, because I loved Silver version so much, but the pokemon are getting lamer and lamer and aren't worth basically rebuying a game I've already played before.

tl;dr Nintendo needs to step up its game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :|

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-13-2010, 07:56 AM
But TSoL, you don't have to level them up to 100. There's an option for PvP battling that allows you to set your entire team to lv. 50 or 100, and gives the appropriate stat boosts as well (sans Effort Value stat boosts).

:O Really?

BTW HOW THE HECK DO YOU FIGURE OUT EV AND IV? :S

Goldenboko
02-13-2010, 02:50 PM

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - Nintendo needs to step up its game.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :|

But that doesn't seem to qualify for like, any other game (except like, CoD because it's an online game). Uncharted 1 was great, but they didn't keep the second one the exact same, they fixed the run and gun system, perfected the cover system a bit more, and polished the fighting system. If it was just Uncharted 1 in a different location I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much.

Momiji
02-13-2010, 03:43 PM

:O Really?

BTW HOW THE HECK DO YOU FIGURE OUT EV AND IV? :S

Effort Value boosts are based on fighting certain Pokémon. Each Pokémon gives a certain number of Effort Value points when defeated, and each Pokémon can only collect 510 Effort Points in all, and a certain stat can only collect 255 of those. After that, they become null and won't benefit you in any way. Think of every Effort Value point like a Piece of Heart from the Zelda series. For every 4 you gain, that's 1 stat point bonus boost at level up.

For example, say you wanted to level up Sp. Attack. Consider the Pokémon you're training as completely fresh, with no EV points collected. Each Gastly gives 1 Sp.Attack EV point. Say you killed 40 Gastlys and then leveled up. When the Level Up Stat Boost window pops up, you'll notice that the Sp. Attack addition is 10 higher than it would normally be. It all adds up to be significant in the end. You can level up EVs to boost all stats by a bit, or you can focus on just 2 stats to be boosted by a lot.

Independent Values determine how well a Pokémon's stats will develop. It's completely random. It's based on the Pokémon's Nature, as well-- that is to say, one with a certain nature will develop a certain stat better than others. That's just one part of it though-- while the Nature is the main indicator, there's also a completely invisible set of numbers that is set up as soon as you catch/hatch a Pokémon, and they are absolutely random, no matter what Pokémon or Nature. The only real way to get an accurate reading of those is to hatch a bunch new Pokémon of your choice, until you have preferably six of the Nature that you're looking for (Use Serebii.net for this, they have a good explanation on which Natures do what). Do nothing with the freshly hatched ones. Leave them at lv.1. Any extra stats will throw off your calculations, and any EV points you may collect will throw off your final results. Then set up a PvP battle with a friend or yourself, if you have the means to do so. Set the battle so that all Pokémon are Lv.100, for best results. Check each one's stats in-battle, and enter them into the Serebii IV Calculator (http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml). The higher the number you get in the calculator for a certain stat, the better that stat will develop as the Pokémon levels up, which means a higher final stat.

Combine good IVs for growth with focused EV training for maximum results.

But that doesn't seem to qualify for like, any other game (except like, CoD because it's an online game). Uncharted 1 was great, but they didn't keep the second one the exact same, they fixed the run and gun system, perfected the cover system a bit more, and polished the fighting system. If it was just Uncharted 1 in a different location I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much.

But that's what Pokémon in general has been since Red and Blue! There are new Pokémon and new game features thrown in along the way, but the general concept is the same. It works and each game continues to be as enjoyable as the last. Like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it :p

Kumo
02-13-2010, 06:19 PM
They should let you kill enough wild pokemon in the next game so that you can ACTUALLY make it's species go extinct in your game (you'd have to trade for it again, breed it, release it to repopulate). Now THAT would be a fun dynamic. You could let them breed like crazy and have them swarm everywhere and destroy other pokemon's habitats, or you can kill them all. It would make it a lot easier to catch those low rate pokemon in the wild as well!

qwertysaur
02-13-2010, 07:50 PM
There has been many changes over the generations, you just don't notice most of them because they fit very well into the formula. :p

Steel and Dark types, Breeding, held items, shiny pokemon day/night and affection from Generation II are the most notable

Double Battles, abilities, Contests and Natures are the biggest from III

Completely redone battle system from generation IV, a lot of the moves are different now that Physical and Special moves are based on the nature of the move, not the type.

Between one and two they also fixed the overpowered Psychic type by adding the dark type and fixing the immunity they had to ghosts. (an error caused them to be immune to the ghost type instead of weak to it)

Momiji
02-13-2010, 08:03 PM
a lot of the moves are different now that Physical and Special moves are based on the nature of the move, not the type.

This is probably my favorite part of the 4th generation.

qwertysaur
02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Also Chatter is a great move. You can customize it with your own recording. The louder it is, the more likely it will confuse the target :p

Momiji
02-13-2010, 08:31 PM
Chatot is pretty cool, yeah.

Jibril
02-14-2010, 02:50 PM
But that doesn't seem to qualify for like, any other game (except like, CoD because it's an online game). Dragon Quest

Nintendo is clever about Pokemon because they create a shallow, samey single player game that the younguns all still buy, but they really cater the improvements to competetive battlers because that's (somewhat secretly) what Pokemon is all about. The splitting of attack/special attack turned the metagame on its side in DP/P/Pt, moreso than anything since the new types and breeding in G/S.

Skyblade
02-14-2010, 07:55 PM
I want to see more games along the lines of Pokemon XD. It was a great game with a solid story. It didn't need to add a hundred new Pokemon to be a wonderful addition to the series. The Shadow Pokemon were extremely well executed and made a very interesting twist on strategies, as did the limited amount of Pokemon. And almost every battle was a double battle, which is a change that seriously needs to carry over into the main games, because it makes the battles so much more interesting.

Quindiana Jones
02-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah, right after they bring back all of the scientists that made Mewtwo back from the dead and Giovanni somehow realizes that he wasn't funding the whole research project. Oops.

What an odd view of science you have. xD

Tavrobel
02-15-2010, 01:03 AM

What an odd view of science you have. xD

Science is the religion of rationality. God is the collection of the laws of physics and chemistry combined to create the wealth of powers of the universe, the majesty of empty space, the infiniteness of a universe that collapses in on itself and is reborn. When the infinite number of infinite-sided die are cast by the universe, anything is possible. We should not cower ourselves by thinking only in three dimensions, or to think only in linear time.

Or, you know, it's Pokemon.

Quindiana Jones
02-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Both comments were irrelevant. :doublecolbert:

Tavrobel
02-15-2010, 01:10 AM
I indeed know that my views of science are odd, but we cannot merely presume that science in the Pokemon world is the same science in our universe. The irrelevancy of both of my comments do not follow the chain of causality that most people adhere to. Indeed, what was relevant, was my assertion that three dimensional space is not all that there is to the world, and that time is not strictly "cause and effect."

It has everything to do with anything!

Osama is king! Obama is the devil! Even an iota misplaced makes a world of difference!

Quindiana Jones
02-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Science creates beliefs based off events observed. From scientific events observed in Pokémon, we can assume that the science relevant to the creation of a hypothetical Mewthree (which, if made, would totally be named Mew3 or something lamer) follows the same rules as ours. Specifically, if it can be done by a collection of clever people and rich people, it can be done again by a collection of different clever people and rich people.

Tavrobel
02-15-2010, 01:29 AM
But not any time soon. Since the original project was destroyed, we can assume that the only surviving part of the experiment was the result: Mewtwo. In order to recreate the experiment, they would need to find another Mew (or get Mewtwo to somehow cooperate), and then start doing what they did from scratch. Mewtwo was the result of gene splicing and DNA construction; the literal "playing God" that caused Mewtwo. Of course, there was no interference in Mewtwo's development. There most certainly will be this time; Red just can't keep his filthy hands off.

Also, Mewtwo still precedes Mew in the Pokedex.

EDIT: You know I was screwing around with science == religion, but this is actually fun.

Quindiana Jones
02-15-2010, 01:35 AM
That's because Mew is too polite to argue. :)

Tavrobel
02-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Even after it got shot in the face with a Shadow Ball?

Quindiana Jones
02-15-2010, 01:37 AM
It also has psychic teabagging fetishes.

Tavrobel
02-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Mewtwo doesn't have a penis or a set of testicles! Clones are sterile!

NorthernChaosGod
02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Mewtwo doesn't have a penis or a set of testicles! Clones are sterile!

Well, look at its hands...
http://www.gameaxis.com/img/blog/2456/Image/Mewtwo.jpg

Quindiana Jones
02-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Mewtwo uses his Shadow Balls.

qwertysaur
02-15-2010, 10:29 PM
it's super effective

Sephiroth
02-16-2010, 12:00 AM
By the way - is there anybody who plays pokémon online with the Wifi connection? I'd like to do some online battles. Of course you don't need to use these online rulings with Sleep Clause, et cetera while fighting me.

NorthernChaosGod
02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Digging the current thread title. :cool: