PDA

View Full Version : pre-ordering

Northcrest
02-10-2010, 12:28 AM
i have never pre ordered a game before n seeing ffxiii n the day it comes out is durin my spring break i figure i should pre order from a store. well i've never done this b4 so i was wonderin how do i preorder games on websites n what stores i should order the game from. i was thinkin best buy, walmart, or gameshop websites but tell other places that u prefer n how 2 do this. thx in advance

NeoCracker
02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
I just pre-order from Gamestop. They don't charge extra, and they regularly get some really nice pre-order bonus's.

And to pre-order online, you just buy the game as normal, and it gets shipped to you when it's released. Nothing special really. :p

Iceglow
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Some companies do require a deposit for the pre-order but the deposit is usually then refunded off the cost of your game purchase. Those who charge a non-refundable deposit suck and you should avoid them.

Pre-ordering online will generally mean you can get a game a little earlier than release because they ship it early to ensure the guarantee of "on your doorstep on day of release"

Bolivar
02-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I have a gamestop a few short blocks away, I usually go there to do it, you just tell them what you want. Gamestop usually has at least some marginal bonus for pre-ordering the game, so I like it there although you couldn't go wrong with the many other online retailers that are now doing this.

Vermachtnis
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I preorder all the time. Of course I also get a lot of Atlus and NIS games so it's just safer to. Plus, a lot of companies are putting goodies with them. When HeartGold comes out I can't wait to have my Houhou fight my Girantina.

Northcrest
02-11-2010, 12:11 AM
so could i go 2 the gamestop store instead of ordering online n pay with cash when i get there. then also do they send it directly 2 my house or would i have 2 go pick it up from the same store

Madame Adequate
02-11-2010, 12:15 AM
so could i go 2 the gamestop store instead of ordering online n pay with cash when i get there. then also do they send it directly 2 my house or would i have 2 go pick it up from the same store

Yeah, you can go into a store and pre-order there. You'd go pick the game up on release day in that case (Though I presume if you asked you could have it mailed it, I'm not certain on that).

If you preorder online it's pretty much just the same as buying a game online, except they don't charge your card until it's mailed (At least not in England). As Iceglow said, you may end up getting it a little early, as they tend to mail things to ensure they're out to customers by release day, but sometimes the postal service goes above and beyond.

Depression Moon
02-11-2010, 02:30 AM
I just pre-order from Gamestop. They don't charge extra

They don't? I thought they did. Then why do they go through the effort to ask if you want to pre-order a game so much? I would think they harass me all the time with that (well they stopped doing it to me after the 4th time) because they want that chedda.

NeoCracker
02-11-2010, 02:34 AM

They don't? I thought they did. Then why do they go through the effort to ask if you want to pre-order a game so much? I would think they harass me all the time with that (well they stopped doing it to me after the 4th time) because they want that chedda.

There are a couple reasons.

1) If you pre-order it from them, it's basically garunteed you will be picking it up there.

2) The amount of copies of a game each store gets is dependent upon the amount of pre-orders they receive.

3) Pre-order bonus's. You need to pre-order to get certain things, and it's a way to convince people to buy it at your store.

Raistlin
02-11-2010, 02:44 AM

As NeoCracker mentioned, it would be a guaranteed sale NOW instead of a possible sale later. Lots of things could change between now and release day.

Anyway, I hardly ever pre-order anything anymore. The games I want will still be around if I want them when they're released. I also haven't been particularly excited about games lately.

G13
02-11-2010, 02:46 AM
I don't preorder anymore. Gamestop charges me $5 extra to preorder a special edition that I can get for regular price two weeks later. $5 may not seem like a lot but it adds up.

Depression Moon
02-11-2010, 03:34 AM
^^ see he was charged.

Don't agree with the guaranteed part though. Guy could change his mind. I did almost fall for it one time. I was interested in that game, but I knew I wasn't going to have any money for it, if they were real slick with it i might've pre-ordered it, but just never got it.

NeoCracker
02-11-2010, 03:57 AM
If he was charged anytime in the last 3 years or so, it probably wasnt' a gamestop charge, and he got ripped the fuck off. :p

You are required 5 dollars down, but it comes off the price of the game, so it's not like an extra 5 dollars.

Vermachtnis
02-11-2010, 05:20 AM
He also said special edition.

NeoCracker
02-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Those are always more then the normal edition though. The pre-order wasn't wat effected the price, it was the special edition that did it. :P

Vermachtnis
02-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Those are always more then the normal edition though. The pre-order wasn't wat effected the price, it was the special edition that did it. :P

That's what I meant, I was agreeing with you xD

NeoCracker
02-11-2010, 05:28 AM
...I had a long day. BACK OFF! :mad2:

:p

Northcrest
02-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks everyone i feel more informed now. i'm okay with spendin an extra 5 bucks so its all good, i'll be stoppin at gamestop tomarrow 2 preorder the game

Rad Bromance
02-12-2010, 03:36 AM
The only game I've ever pre-ordered in my life is Final Fantasy XIII for the simple fact that I went to buy Bayonetta and they were all sold out and it irritated me so I didn't want to make the trip a total waste. :D