PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean: The Last Hope International

Zeromus_X
02-10-2010, 05:43 AM
Just picked up my copy today, played through like the first two hours. Anyone else picking this up?

Other than the expected language options and only one blu-ray disc, there are some nice improvements like being able to manually select your target in battle. You just press the start button, and you can cycle the target cursor Tales style.

Other than that, some game rebalancing has been done. From what I've heard on Gamefaqs so far, some of Reimi's attacks have been toned down, and Faize's weapons have more ATK power. Certain exploits with the Item Creation system have also been removed, like being able to get multiple "+20% Exp" factors onto your equipment and so on.

On the lookout for extra scenes and Private Actions. I remember rumors about new playable characters but those may have only been rumors (there are still only eight playable character slots, and the official guide book apparently doesn't say anything about new characters).

RedPouch
02-10-2010, 06:01 AM
there are some nice improvements like being able to manually select your target in battle. You just press the start button, and you can cycle the target cursor Tales style.
This game needed that from the beginning. Badly. It's a shame it didn't come out originally. I seriously think that the play-testers were were smurfing retards for not being able to notice a flaw like that. Tri-Ace Idiots.

Other than the expected language options
So you can play with the original Japanese audio and English subtitles? If so, then I really wish I had this instead of the standard version. The English voice actors are so BEYOND fucking terrible that it's absolutely unbelievable.

Mirage
02-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Getting this on the 12th, cause that's when it's released in jurop.

Zeromus_X
02-10-2010, 04:43 PM
there are some nice improvements like being able to manually select your target in battle. You just press the start button, and you can cycle the target cursor Tales style.
This game needed that from the beginning. Badly. It's a shame it didn't come out originally. I seriously think that the play-testers were were smurfing retards for not being able to notice a flaw like that. Tri-Ace Idiots.

So you can play with the original Japanese audio and English subtitles? If so, then I really wish I had this instead of the standard version. The English voice actors are so BEYOND smurfing terrible that it's absolutely unbelievable.

Yeah, I don't know why that wasn't in there to begin with.

I didn't think the English voices were THAT bad (except for a few minor characters), but yeah, you can choose between English and Japanese audio now. You can also choose between no less than six different text languages and between the Anime-style and CG face portraits/menu design.

Ultima Shadow
02-10-2010, 05:48 PM
...Did they add savepoints to the Wandering Dungeon? *knows they probably didn't, but can still hope*

Zeromus_X
02-10-2010, 07:22 PM
If they did that I would be one happy gamer.

I'm hearing things about the contents of chests being altered, giving out certain materials to help with item creation. However, some recipes are a bit harder to make, making it more difficult to break the game by making powerful weapons earlier than necessary.

Madame Adequate
02-11-2010, 12:34 AM

So you can play with the original Japanese audio and English subtitles? If so, then I really wish I had this instead of the standard version. The English voice actors are so BEYOND smurfing terrible that it's absolutely unbelievable.

Yeah, I don't know why that wasn't in there to begin with.

I didn't think the English voices were THAT bad (except for a few minor characters), but yeah, you can choose between English and Japanese audio now. You can also choose between no less than six different text languages and between the Anime-style and CG face portraits/menu design.

This is actually enough to make me really want this now. Would that I could afford it :(

Mirage
02-11-2010, 06:06 PM
So i got the game today and the screen goes black when i get to the launch scene. The audio continues for a bit, but stops after a while, but subtitles keep going. I'm pretty annoyed now :(.

Got it fixed and I'm now at Yiff Planet. The story so far is... pretty awful. The battle system is ok though, but SO3's was much better.

Jibril
02-14-2010, 04:47 PM
It sure is.

I've seen Star Trek episodes with better writing. Original series. Captain Kirk could beat Edge's ass with his bare hands.

RedPouch
02-16-2010, 03:56 AM
Got it fixed and I'm now at Yiff Planet. The story so far is... pretty awful. The battle system is ok though, but SO3's was much better.
Wait until you meet Meracle. You'll want to quit the game.

Mirage
02-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Nah, the 8 ambushes by phantom soldiers is what made me want to do that.

RedPouch
02-16-2010, 03:59 AM
Nah, the 8 ambushes by phantom soldiers is what made me want to do that.
Oh you already got there. You met Meracle and you still have the strength to continue on? Such conviction! Respect to you if you can tolerate Arumat's shoddily-written dialogue and horrid voice actor.

Mirage
02-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Btw, you meet meracle before yiff planet.

RedPouch
02-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Btw, you meet meracle before yiff planet.
I can't really remember. My brother did most of the first portion of the game, and a while after that I played a bit, then he went back to playing it himself. We like taking turns a lot, though he ends up playing a lot more since I really don't mind just sitting down and watching him play.

On the subject of Meracle:

http://www.hellandheavennet.com/star-ocean-4/images/Meracle.jpg

Failure attempt at a cute cat girl.

Madame Adequate
02-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Meracle is fine, I actually like her quite a lot.

Sarah on the other hand. Dear God. Dear God. I stuck with it, but she actually stopped Rye from playing.

I just went to Amazon to see how much this cost only to find that it's only out on PS3 :(

Mirage
02-16-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't mind Meracle either, really, but Sarah just sounds so ugh, lame.

RedPouch
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't mind Meracle either, really, but Sarah just sounds so ugh, lame.
I minded Sarah a lot less than the stupid trying-to-be-cute-but-failing Meracle. Ugly little annoying bitch. I really wish you could have an option to leave her to die with the rest instead of trying to save her. Edge is like "we're your friends" and I'm like "Uh, NO WE'RE NOT STFU".

Ultima Shadow
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
The story so far is... pretty awful. The battle system is ok though, but SO3's was much better.
This more or less sums up SO4 as a whole.

Mirage
02-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Pft, Meracle isn't trying to be cute, she just looks like she could have been trying if she wanted

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Pft, Meracle isn't trying to be cute
Of course not. Her designer wanted her to be cute. And s/he failed. I don't see miss-giant-forehead winning any beauty contests anytime soon. Don't get me started on her eyes either.

Mirage
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Wasn't talking about her visual appearance

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Wasn't talking about her visual appearance
Please don't tell me you were talking about her laugh or her lame cat transformation thing.

"HEEEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEEEHEEE! ^_________^" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSO-zllEdPw#t=1m24s)

Seriously?

Mirage
02-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Yeah, that's what i'm talking about when I'm saying I don't get the impression of her not trying to be be cute.

What?

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah, that's what i'm talking about when I'm saying I don't get the impression of her not trying to be be cute.

What?
I think I was just thrown off by what you meant with:

she just looks like she could have been trying if she wanted

Oh, and:

This more or less sums up SO4 as a whole.
Late response, but do you feel that they repeated far too many elements of SO3? I think most of this was meant to be "hats off" to some SO3 themes, but they reused SO many [three people being genetically altered for the future of mankind, etc.] that I'm not quite sure what to think about what they were trying to go for. The only difference here is that there seems to be extremely weak elaboration on the mechanics of how these "seeds of hope" actually work, and how it actually ties into the story. Based on this weak elaboration, I'd say that their attempt to recycle said theme backfired, to the point where it just looks silly and unoriginal.

Man, Tri-Ace really seems to be having trouble with constructing a good story and good characters for Star Ocean games.

Mirage
02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Yes. What I meant is just that her physical appearance does look like she would be the kind of person who [tried to] act cute. But althrough her personality - like most other characters in the game - isn't exactly super well written, what she acts like to me is just a curious, easygoing, tomboyish and a bit self confident... cat like thing :p. Not someone who's going out of her way to be OMGSUPERLOLKAWAII,

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Lol, I guess so.

My favourite character was Reimi, because to me she seemed pretty normal and reasonably written. I'd say they did a pretty good job with her. Her voice actor wasn't too bad either.

I like Edge sometimes [disregarding his name], however during scenes where he starts overreacting and getting so angry that it seems fake, I can't help but feel embarrassed at how the voice actor must have felt while doing that at the studio.

As for Sarah, I didn't mind her that much even though she was stupidly dense. However, a lot of people really can't seem to stand this character at all. Who all here REALLY hates Sarah? As in, who hates her more than any other character?

Mirage
02-17-2010, 10:02 PM
She's so dense that it makes me smile, like I do when I hear kids talk about things they don't know anything about, It's sort of cute :p.

Reimi's probably got the best voice actor in the game, and I think her voice is really cute ;o. Too bad the same VA also did Welch and completely destroyed her. Well i guess the destroying part is also the fault of the writers. She was really cute in SO3 but now she's just a stupid rubber-haired thing.

Rye
02-17-2010, 11:22 PM
I literally stopped playing the game because Sarah's character and voice acting bothered me that much. I can't wait to play International so at least her voice bothers me less.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Rye hates Sarah more than she's ever hated a game character, as far as I can tell. :p

I dislike Sarah the most as well, though not to the same extent. I'm not a big fan of either Faize or Lymle, either, except that when they interact with each other it is usually hilariously abusive.

Whoever: Something a 10th-century equivalent person will have no clue about
Lymle: What's that, please explain?
Faize: LYMLE IF YOU DON'T KNOW, YOU SHOULDN'T BUTT IN!

Also they kissed hahahaha

Flying Arrow
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
I passed Second Story back in the PS1 days and was supremely disappointed despite loving the premise, graphics, setting, and multiple paths. Since then, the only SO game I played was Till the End of Time on the PS2, which I eventually ended up trading in for God of War or some such (best trade ever, bar none). For some reason the Star Ocean series always attracts me despite my not having anything but terrible times playing it. I think it's just the premise that has me hopeful for each entry.

Anyway, I just checked out some cutscenes from The Last Hope to see if it's as game-breaking as everyone says.

The verdict: Legendarily and inexcusably bad. I have no respect for any individual who can sit through these cutscenes without cringing the entire time.

Mirage
02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
I cringe, do you respect me?

RedPouch
02-24-2010, 12:25 AM
For some reason the Star Ocean series always attracts me despite my not having anything but terrible times playing it. I think it's just the premise that has me hopeful for each entry.
This is what keeps happening to me too. For whatever reason I just keep going back to the newest Star Ocean game, even though they get worse and worse each time.

The verdict: Legendarily and inexcusably bad. I have no respect for any individual who can sit through these cutscenes without cringing the entire time.
Seriously. And did you happen to watch Edge's freak-out scene? It was god-awful.

YouTube - Star Ocean 4-Escape from Alternate Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIpa3TlD5Y) Just in case you haven't. My brother and I were just cracking up when this part came up. After that we were scared to death because we realized that Meracle was going to be a permanent addition to the party.

Mercen-X
02-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Someone once mentioned that Final Fantasy X's Tidus looked like Meg Ryan. Personally, I find Edge to resemble Ellen Degenerous, if a bit younger.

RedPouch
02-24-2010, 08:56 PM
I really don't see the resemblance. Edge looks too male. It's a softer look for male, somewhat of a "pretty boy", but still clearly male. His hair is also a deeper gold. His hairstyle might look vaguely like Ellen's from a distance, but I'd hardly call it a resemblance. Edge's looks reminds me of a couple people, but Ellen Degeneres isn't one of them.

Ultima Shadow
02-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Late response, but do you feel that they repeated far too many elements of SO3? I think most of this was meant to be "hats off" to some SO3 themes, but they reused SO many [three people being genetically altered for the future of mankind, etc.] that I'm not quite sure what to think about what they were trying to go for. The only difference here is that there seems to be extremely weak elaboration on the mechanics of how these "seeds of hope" actually work, and how it actually ties into the story. Based on this weak elaboration, I'd say that their attempt to recycle said theme backfired, to the point where it just looks silly and unoriginal.
I usually don't have a problem with recurring elements and unoriginal ideas... as long as they can still remain solid in their own right. A good story doesn't always need to be 100% original. However... like you said, it seems they just tried to take a theme from SO3 and put it in there without even thinking it trough. Basically, they made every recurring theme worse than they originally were... and mostly felt like they were put in "just for the heck of it", rather than having any actual meaning to them. I didn't disslike the very first part of SO4's story: about the earth being impossible to live on as a cause of a 3rd world war and so on. But from that point onwards, SO4's story just took a wild ride downhill until it eventually was nothing but plain horrible.

...still, even if they didn't reuse any of SO3's themes, I doubt it would have turned out much better. In the end, the key to making an interesting story is to have some interesting characters in it. That's where SO4 failed the most. Almost every single character made me want to throw up.

Man, Tri-Ace really seems to be having trouble with constructing a good story and good characters for Star Ocean games.I actually liked many of the characters in SO3, and SO2 too. They were never "the best ever" or anything like that, but they certainly weren't bad either (save a few exceptions). SO4 is the first title in the series in which you can actually call the majority of the cast horrible. (Well, I haven't actually played SO1 yet, so I can only speak for SO2 and SO3).

Too bad the same VA also did Welch and completely destroyed her. Well i guess the destroying part is also the fault of the writers. She was really cute in SO3 but now she's just a stupid rubber-haired thing.
Ah yes. Welch. That is quite possibly my ABSOLUTE hate-character in SO4. Every single time I saw her... I got the urge to kill, scream in agony and tear my eyes out. Why couldn't they just keep the old Welch? =(

Also, I personally consider SO4 to be the first SO game in the downhill curve. I love SO3. Even though it didn't have the best story or characters ever, they were still likable. And as far as gameplay goes, SO3 shines supreme. Honestly... the SO series has never been an RPG series that you should play for the story only. The gameplay bit has always been the best part of the SO series, and SO3 had one of the best battlesystems ever developed for an RPG.

Flying Arrow
02-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Seriously. And did you happen to watch Edge's freak-out scene? It was god-awful.

YouTube - Star Ocean 4-Escape from Alternate Earth (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIpa3TlD5Y) Just in case you haven't. My brother and I were just cracking up when this part came up. After that we were scared to death because we realized that Meracle was going to be a permanent addition to the party.

Absolutely wretched. Any urge I had to try this game is gone. If anyone ever saw or overheard me playing this, I'd have to kill them just limit my embarrassment.

There's bad and then there's Star Ocean bad.