PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Versus XIII Multiplatform?

nirojan
02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Should this game be multiplatform?

Keep in mind that Nomura, the director of the project, wants it to be a PS3 exclusive.

Getting a bit specific on the Versus project, Nomura continued, "It seems that the Versus team was, from the start, trying to get the full specifications out of the PS3, and that takes time. Just the other day, during a Versus meeting, a programmer asked, 'Is it okay to program with PS3 exclusivity in mind?'." I asked why, and he said, 'If we port it to other hardware, we have to program with that in mind.' I responded, 'Of course, Versus is PS3 exclusive.'"

Source (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/837/837350p1.html)

But that interview was back in 2007....seeing the massive success that FFXIII is probably going to take in internationally you think they might change course? Or mabey Wada would muscle him into making it multi-plat?

Madame Adequate
02-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Only reason to argue that it should be exclusive is if you're butthurt about dirty foreign Microsoft lovers enjoying a good game itbt

Psychotic
02-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Absolutely it should be multiplaform. I'm an FF fan and have been for many years. I have absolutely no intention of getting a PS3 unless I win the lottery, and I'd love to play this game.

Plus the screeches from the people who decide to affiliate themselves with faceless corporation A were deafening when they said FFXIII would be out for the 360, so god knows what they'd do if Versus came out for it too. The entertainment I'd get from that would be the icing on the cake.

Levian
02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
It would be very childish to wish for this game not getting released for Xbox

"Barbie's dreamhouse is my toy, nobody else can touch it, only I can play with it. :colbert: Here, play with these salt and pepper shakers instead"

Depression Moon
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
You believe your statement is true and don't even attempt to address other reasons such as others not liking the idea of Square lying to them.

Levian
02-13-2010, 02:16 AM
It's not like this hasn't happened before, Final Fantasy XIII was PS3 exclusive also. Those who bought PS3 just because of Final Fantasy has already been smurfed over, Versus XIII also going multiplatform won't make any difference.

Does it really matter anyway? Isn't it better if as many people as possible gets to enjoy this game?

Del Murder
02-13-2010, 02:28 AM
I would be pissed if I bought a system just to play a certain game and then it gets released for one I already owned. Then again, I would wait until the game actually came out to buy that system. Like I did for FFX. :)

Levian
02-13-2010, 02:38 AM
Owning both a PS3 and Xbox 360 feels so pointless. They pretty much have the exact same games.

btw, my main point was that the damage had already been done with FFXIII.

Rad Bromance
02-13-2010, 02:59 AM
It makes no difference to me. I'd still end up buying it for PS3 because I'm scared that my 360 is going to RROD every time I play it. My PS3 gives me the comfort of not having to worry about that (teehee).

Meat Puppet
02-13-2010, 05:49 AM
PS3 exclusive for like a year and then multi-platform.

Goldenboko
02-13-2010, 06:05 AM
Owning both a PS3 and Xbox 360 feels so pointless. They pretty much have the exact same games.

I disagree, this long post really won't be a post directed at you, just about my thoughts on the difference between XBOX and PS3 in general.

Off the top of my head, I can think of several great games for each.

XBOX360:
Halo Series
Mass Effect Series
Fable II

PS3:
MAG
Metal Gear Solid 4
Uncharted Series
Valkyria Chronicles
Gran Turismo 5
Killzone 2

Sure, it isn't the difference between the PS1 and Nintendo 64, but a small list of exclusives is a big difference, when we're talking about games like Gran Turismo or Halo 3.

Personally, we had an XBOX only for the longest time because of Halo, people can argue about whether the game deserves the credit it gets, but I sure as hell am not going to argue with the (probably) hundreds of hours of gameplay I got online and with my friends from that game in terms of worth. So, in a personal opinion, if you bought the PS3 when both systems where just coming out, you where looking forward to more of a Single Player experience, if you got the XBOX360, you probably wanted more online and with friends (ie. Halo).

Now the two are evening up in my opinion though, but whenever I get an online game (CoD MW2) I get it for the XBOX because all my friends play that online (the same people who bought the XBOX for Halo).

And when I get a very large single player game I get it for my brother's PS3 (Fallout 3), because it will run slightly better, and look slightly nicer =P

Mirage
02-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Don't really care, but I don't want to wait forever because they want to do the 360 version before releasing the PS3 version

Croyles
02-13-2010, 03:26 PM
I will say keep it on the ps3.
Im butthurt cause your mom banged me too hard last night.

Woops wrong button! :p

Im not really bothered, I would just prefer both consoles to have a few more exclusive titles, gives an extra layer of competition plus actual differences to the consoles.

Unless theres some sort of PSWii60 bastard console child mashup, that would be a great console! :p
maybe.

Lightening
02-13-2010, 03:32 PM
It doesn't really matter to me, I guess it's a good thing that xbox gamers gets to play this too.

Wolf Kanno
02-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Personally I'd like to get real details for this game since a lot of people are already treating it as the Second Coming without seeing much beyond the initial teaser trailer.

I could care less if it goes multi-platform or not. I'd rather just get real substantial info.

Raistlin
02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
It doesn't matter to me at all. Though like WK, I'd like to have more information about this game.

Madame Adequate
02-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Just for clarification when I said "good game" I was taking the angle that if it was bad, they wouldn't care if 360 got it. So it rests on the presumption that it will be good, but just letting you know that this is not my presumption :p

Depression Moon
02-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Square never said XIII was going to be exclusive. Everyone just assumed while the trailers for Versus have it right at the beginning and/or end. Even if that wasn't the case most people wouldn't like being lied to twice.

Rad Bromance
02-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Square never said XIII was going to be exclusive.
Except for two years or so they did, and until the English version was announced it was exclusive, as it remains in Japan. :greenie:

Sephiroth
02-14-2010, 03:40 AM

Yoshinori Kitase mentioned it last month for example during a short interview. So it will be PS 3 exclusive.

qwertysaur
02-15-2010, 02:31 PM
I could care less if it goes multi-platform or not. I'd rather just get real substantial info.
I have to agree with this statement :p

nirojan
02-15-2010, 08:44 PM

Yoshinori Kitase mentioned it last month for example during a short interview. So it will be PS 3 exclusive.

i believe he was talking about in Japan! If you've been keeping up with FFXIII you would have known that its coming out for 360 here in North America alongside the PS3 version.

Sephiroth
02-15-2010, 09:56 PM
If you've been keeping up with FFXIII you would have known that its coming out for 360 here in North America alongside the PS3 version.

He was in Munich last month and there one of his answer in a short interview was "Versus will be PS 3 exclusive.". I do not know why they were in Munich but the webmaster of a german Final Fantasy site was there because he got the chance for a short interview and one of his questions was about Versus. He asked him something about Final Fantasy XIII, XIII Versus and the chance of an FF VII remake (of course he got the answer, we still know - no exact answer, just that a remake would need much time).

Depression Moon
02-15-2010, 10:16 PM
You quoting me when I was talking about XIII not Versus XIII I think you're confused. I already knew it's intending to be a PS3 exclusive as I mentioned that it's trailers state it.

Sephiroth
02-15-2010, 10:35 PM
You quoting me when I was talking about XIII not Versus XIII I think you're confused. I already knew it's intending to be a PS3 exclusive as I mentioned that it's trailers state it.

Indeed, but I do not know why you mention Final Fantasy XIII in a XIII Versus thread. SO I thought you would mean XIII Versus.

Bolivar
02-16-2010, 01:27 AM
If FFXIII does well on the XBox 360 I wouldn't put it past Wada to request that they prepare for a porting process. There really wouldn't be any reason not to.

But I want it to stay exclusive, and I can't believe after rounds of sound explanations and justifications, people still chalk this up to only one possible sole reason, because of arbitrary brand loyalty.

There's already a growing class of a PS3 games which are on a technical level that 360 (and certainly Wii) games have not yet been able to approach. I want FFvXIII to be as good a game as it can be, it should be in this class of game. That's where Final Fantasy belongs, Versus should be the game to set things right.

nirojan
02-16-2010, 02:32 AM
If FFXIII does well on the XBox 360 I wouldn't put it past Wada to request that they prepare for a porting process. There really wouldn't be any reason not to.

But I want it to stay exclusive, and I can't believe after rounds of sound explanations and justifications, people still chalk this up to only one possible sole reason, because of arbitrary brand loyalty.

There's already a growing class of a PS3 games which are on a technical level that 360 (and certainly Wii) games have not yet been able to approach. I want FFvXIII to be as good a game as it can be, it should be in this class of game. That's where Final Fantasy belongs, Versus should be the game to set things right.

seconded! People scream out fanboyism and consolewar-tard, but the reality is simple... PS3 is technically capable of feats which other consoles can't. It's not brand loyalty it' just that the system is more advanced and as such PS3-exclusive games look and play amazingly. The only argument i can really see against this is that we're shutting out a broader audience if this doesn't get ported over to 360 and personally i want everyone to enjoy the magic that is Final Fantasy.

VeloZer0
02-16-2010, 03:13 AM
If they put it on both they presumably have a bigger predicted sales and thus a larger development budget. And since the technical level of the graphics are probably one of the elements I care the least about in a game multi-platform is all win for me.

Wolf Kanno
02-16-2010, 06:51 AM

I would agree with you if I had any faith in SE being able to use the hardware for more than cosmetic design or to implement changes that have been addressed recently by other and even older titles (Load times, random encounters, Bitching afros) but with the lack of information on the title and no real idea what to expect for vXIII, I must look at what SE has accomplished with FFXIII and I feel all a PS3 exclusiveness would have given the title was more graphical polish and not an any actual step towards really bringing in new ways to experience the game and redefine the idea of what a JRPG is. Because of this, I can't say I really care to see the game stay exclusive cause I'm bored of SE's ad campaign of secrecy and thus have lost interest in the title altogether.

In a nutshell: I'm indifferent to vXIII cause there is seriously nothing to be excited about. I also have little faith in SE pulling off a AAA console title on a next gen system that is befitting of the reputation the series enjoyed 15 years ago. I'm actually more excited for Agito of all things which is sadly been left in the dust by gaming journalists.

RedPouch
02-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Personally I'd like to get real details for this game since a lot of people are already treating it as the Second Coming without seeing much beyond the initial teaser trailer.

^ This.

I'd love to find out more info on this. I understand that the graphical difference between the original intended graphics for the PS3 versions of FF XIII compared to the "altered" graphics to fit the 360 and PS3 simultaneously are in fact able to be noticed, but are so slim and minor that it's ridiculous to hear the over-exaggeration on the issue. Chances are that FF XIII Versus won't be much different if it even encounters the need to compensate with the disc issue that XIII had. I'm all for this game being multi-platform. This topic seems like flamebait for yet another war between console fanboys to me, so I think it could get interesting up in here.

For the record, I have both of these consoles as well as many games on both of them, so don't insinuate that I have partiality here.

In a nutshell: I'm indifferent to vXIII cause there is seriously nothing to be excited about.
Are you kidding me? Noctis looks hot. I'm quite sure that he's probably poorly-written based on how Japanese authors generally write characters who look like that, but I'll wait until after I play the game to rage how annoying he probably is. :love:

Croyles
02-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Yeah theres literally no info on this game and everyones already saying it will be amazing. We havnt even seen any gameplay!

Bolivar
02-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I would agree with you if I had any faith in SE being able to use the hardware for more than cosmetic design or to implement changes that have been addressed recently by other and even older titles (Load times, random encounters, Bitching afros) but with the lack of information on the title and no real idea what to expect for vXIII, I must look at what SE has accomplished with FFXIII and I feel all a PS3 exclusiveness would have given the title was more graphical polish and not an any actual step towards really bringing in new ways to experience the game and redefine the idea of what a JRPG is. Because of this, I can't say I really care to see the game stay exclusive cause I'm bored of SE's ad campaign of secrecy and thus have lost interest in the title altogether.

In a nutshell: I'm indifferent to vXIII cause there is seriously nothing to be excited about. I also have little faith in SE pulling off a AAA console title on a next gen system that is befitting of the reputation the series enjoyed 15 years ago. I'm actually more excited for Agito of all things which is sadly been left in the dust by gaming journalists.

I actually agree that it's uncertain whether or not Square can pull off today what they've essentially been doing since the NES days. Especially after looking at FFXIII.

But I would rather have the possibility of them pulling it off than no chance at all.

Psychotic
02-16-2010, 09:11 PM
To the people saying "The PS3 is better, therefore it isn't brand loyalty that I do not want it released for the 360."

Okay, alright. I think you're massively overstating the relative power of the consoles, but to avoid someone listing a million technical specs that nobody wants to read anyway, let's just assume you're not and there is a huge gap between the PS3 and the 360.

What if they release it for the PS3 as normal, pushing it to the limits, and then after that, they work on a (presumably inferior) port for the 360? Is that cool by you?

Wolf Kanno
02-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I feel the problem is that even though SE can potentially pull it off cause I feel they have been doing a great job on their handheld markets with a few exceptions, I just haven't seen them do it right with a console system this generation. Granted a good number of their console titles have been developed by third party Tri-Ace but then we get Last Remnant that disappointed and XIII, which though it may actually be a good game, has a reductionist design that feels more like a last gen game than a next gen title (this is where I do agree with Wada).

XIII was in development for so long I was hoping to see something grander like I got out of the overly ambitious XII but instead its looking to be FFX clone with better graphics and what looks to be an excellent battle system but at the cost of stripping away a good chunk of the gameplay elements from the genre. You would think they would have more to show. XIV is looking to be a more ambitious title and while theoretically the elements Nomura wants vXIII to have does make it an ambitious project, we have yet to see these ideas in action so we can't say for sure. XIII was suppose to blow the genre away back when knew very little but looking at the complete product, it's changes seem more shallow in my eyes, despite this, I still am looking forward to playing it.

I actually just feel that SE's business model may prevent the company from making games like they use to for console. I feel their biggest issue is trying to appeal to fans too much, and not realizing that fans are fickle and never happy. They are better off just making the games they want to make and let the masses judge them on their own merits.

Bolivar
02-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Okay, alright. I think you're massively overstating the relative power of the consoles, but to avoid someone listing a million technical specs that nobody wants to read anyway, let's just assume you're not and there is a huge gap between the PS3 and the 360.

It's not just "BETTER GRAPHICS WTF"; it's situations/scenarios you can pull off and put on the screen with the cell, it's the way you can group game segments on Blu Ray, and even combine them with videos (like in MGS4) that explore the potential of the medium itself.

What if they release it for the PS3 as normal, pushing it to the limits, and then after that, they work on a (presumably inferior) port for the 360? Is that cool by you?

I think I speak for everyone when I say we all want as many fans to be able to play it in the most cost-amenable way possible.

But there's a reason MGS4 has never been ported to the XBox 360, even though it makes perfect sense to. Kojima has said it himself countless times because nearly every American interviewer thought they could push him over the edge and be responsible for it being ported to the 360 if they annoyed him enough.

It wouldn't be the same game.

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 12:42 PM
But there's a reason MGS4 has never been ported to the XBox 360, even though it makes perfect sense to. Kojima has said it himself countless times because nearly every American interviewer thought they could push him over the edge and be responsible for it being ported to the 360 if they annoyed him enough.

I highly doubt this up and down, all the way towards reading analysis of the specs of the actual game and the resources it uses. The supposed reductions to make FF XIII 360-friendly aren't even that big of a deal from what I understand from more impartial sources, so I seriously doubt MGS4 is the same case [it's a much older game]. I'm also sick of seeing MGS4 as the only game ever referenced for this kind of argument. Based on its graphics and gameplay, I don't really see it being anything beyond the 360's capabilities. By the way, I'm not trying to fanboy-defend the 360 or whatever, I'm just being realistic. It's silly to no end how people over-dramatize stuff like this a lot. Although the gap between the PS3's cell technology potential and the 360's potential is indeed very real, it's really not very wide at all, and few games have even come close to making actual full use of what the cell is truly capable of [which by the way, is quite nice despite the fact that it's unnervingly tricky to program for, but I digress].

I'm only looking at FF XIII here since that's the only game which has made this an actual issue [that I've noticed], but it's due to the idiotic morons at Microsoft that opted not to have any sort of blue-ray compatibility. Those dingbat pineapple-brains will now take on the heat and mockery from fans, as I'm sure the entire FF XIII ordeal has embarrassed those hot-shots or whatever at Microsoft. Hopefully, they'll keep such things in mind for when they design their next console [the Xbox 720?]. Still, I think the gap between these two consoles is clearly being vastly over-exaggerated here. Let's not kid ourselves.

I don't think this will happen because it costs too much money from what I understand. As it is, they'd have to practically redo most of the programming for a game just so it'll work properly on the 360, but to do what you suggest might go as far as to need a reprogramming of the game almost entirely. It's far more cost-effective to just do a simple port. It's for this reason that while the PS3 and 360 are the main focus until the new consoles are developed, it's much better if they plan on going multi-platform in advance.

Nifleheim7
02-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Don't really care, but I don't want to wait forever because they want to do the 360 version before releasing the PS3 version

This.

Bolivar
02-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I highly doubt this up and down, all the way towards reading analysis of the specs of the actual game and the resources it uses. The supposed reductions to make FF XIII 360-friendly aren't even that big of a deal from what I understand from more impartial sources, so I seriously doubt MGS4 is the same case [it's a much older game]. I'm also sick of seeing MGS4 as the only game ever referenced for this kind of argument. Based on its graphics and gameplay, I don't really see it being anything beyond the 360's capabilities. By the way, I'm not trying to fanboy-defend the 360 or whatever, I'm just being realistic. It's silly to no end how people over-dramatize stuff like this a lot. Although the gap between the PS3's cell technology potential and the 360's potential is indeed very real, it's really not very wide at all, and few games have even come close to making actual full use of what the cell is truly capable of [which by the way, is quite nice despite the fact that it's unnervingly tricky to program for, but I digress].

In the midst of fan-speculation and meaningless spec-analysis, I think it's reasonable to defer to the developer of the game. In cases of Sony's first party studios like Naughty Dog or Guerilla Games saying it, we can chalk it up to company loyalty, despite Killzone 2 and the Uncharted games surpassing anything seen on the 360.

But in the case of Kojima, who's made games on the original XBox as well as producing current projects for the 360, I don't think he's an unreasonable source.

In any case, do you really think we'll ever see something like this:
http://i9.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/664vgcp.gif
out on the 360?

Psychotic
02-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Sure. It's called Gears of War 2. :monster:

PS: What game is that? It looks badass.

Dreddz
02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I really dunno whether I'd want Versus XIII to go multiplatform or not. On the one hand, it would shut up PS3 owners who claim that the game is automatically superior to FFXIII just for the sole reason its exclusive. Then there are the cocky 360 owners who seem to think its already coming to the 360 without even an announcement. I personally find both sides equally annoying.

I also doubt Versus XIII going multiplatform would affect the PS3 version much. The Crystal Tools is a multiplatform engine. So even if they managed to create a game that it technically more impressive than FFXIII, it should be ported to the 360 with little effort.

I dunno why people are getting so worked up over this anyway. Versus XIII will just be Kingdom Hearts in a different skin. Just watch.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2010, 07:31 PM

PS: What game is that? It looks badass.

Looks like Killzone or Killzone 2. According to Barry Manilow this is very distinctly not the Halo killer it was hyped as. Or even anything more than average.

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 07:39 PM
In the midst of fan-speculation and meaningless spec-analysis, I think it's reasonable to defer to the developer of the game.
I think it's more reasonable to defer to personal fan research and deductive reasoning. It wouldn't be the first time a developer fibbed or exaggerated about something like this.

Psychotic Kinda beat me to the punch with his response though.

Looks like Killzone or Killzone 2. According to Barry Manilow this is very distinctly not the Halo killer it was hyped as. Or even anything more than average.
It really was not. Not in the slightest. It certainly wasn't BAD or anything [it was good actually], but hardly lived up to the hype as you said. I didn't play it much, but I will admit it was kinda fun. I think people need to stop worrying about trying to out-do other games/consoles etc. and just enjoy the game for what it is. JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION.

I also doubt Versus XIII going multiplatform would affect the PS3 version much. The Crystal Tools is a multiplatform engine. So even if they managed to create a game that it technically more impressive than FFXIII, it should be ported to the 360 with little effort.
^ This.

I dunno why people are getting so worked up over this anyway. Versus XIII will just be Kingdom Hearts in a different skin. Just watch.
No objections here! It sounds fun. However, I hope it offers some challenge unlike Kingdom Hearts 2.

Bolivar
02-17-2010, 07:51 PM

Haha, very funny!

But no!

According to Barry Manilow this is very distinctly not the Halo killer it was hyped as. Or even anything more than average.

I see Barry Manilow has very informed and qualified opinions backed up by sufficient personal experience.

On community features, each game has advantages, with Halo probably having a large edge. Other than that, it's better than Halo in every quantifiable way. It even had a lot of the things that Bungie had been promising (and not delivering) since Halo 2, and even pre-empted things that are going into Halo: Reach.

But that's just my opinion based on spending considerable time with both games' multiplayer and playing through single player at least once.

BUT!!! This is not what this thread is about:

I think it's more reasonable to defer to personal fan research

I'm sorry, but I think that statement undermines the point you're trying to make.

Like Wolf, I have no expectations or delusions of SE pulling off spectacular things like they did back in the day. But I'd rather have them the option of doing it instead of nothing at all. Surprises make life wonderful :cheers:

RedPouch
02-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry, but I think that statement undermines the point you're trying to make.
How so? I've always found that learning from impartial and reliable information sources [or looking into it yourself if you're able] is a lot more reliable. Same goes with reviews/analysis etc.

Like Wolf, I have no expectations or delusions of SE pulling off spectacular things like they did back in the day. But I'd rather have them the option of doing it instead of nothing at all. Surprises make life wonderful
Now you're being pessimistic. Instead of waiting for an "amazing" breakthrough game, why not just hope for a game that's going to be thoroughly enjoyable? I'm pretty sure it'll be at least that.

Bolivar
02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
How so? I've always found that learning from impartial and reliable information sources [or looking into it yourself if you're able] is a lot more reliable. Same goes with reviews/analysis etc.

I think anyone who takes the time to look into these things is rarely impartial, and hardly ever reliable. I remember people breaking down the actual data on the MGS4 disc, and it erupted into a technophillic schism over how much was compressed audio (a lot) and exactly how much the HD video files were.

I also don't think anyone's review has anything valuable to say to me about a game. I base my purchases off of gameplay videos, developer diaries, and my own experience with demos and betas.

Now you're being pessimistic. Instead of waiting for an "amazing" breakthrough game, why not just hope for a game that's going to be thoroughly enjoyable?

I already know it's probably going to be thoroughly enjoyable, even if it's going to the Game Boy Color.

I like Nomura's FF work.

edit: Just to be clear, I'm more than anything excited to hear more about and eventually play the game. I love the art style and tone of everything I've seen so far, especially the incorporation of Amano artwork on that painting that Noctis looks at. The OP asked a question and I've given my personal opinion, but like I said, I could care less if this game gets ported to the GameBoy Color (which would actually be kind of cool I still have my Kiwi Green one laying around).

Madame Adequate
02-17-2010, 11:16 PM
According to Barry Manilow this is very distinctly not the Halo killer it was hyped as. Or even anything more than average.

I see Barry Manilow has very informed and qualified opinions backed up by sufficient personal experience.

Derp, sorry. Barry Manilow is a nickname for my best friend, Michael. He's been playing games as long as I have and we have very similar tastes, so I trust what he says about it.

Bolivar
02-18-2010, 01:39 AM

Derp, sorry. Barry Manilow is a nickname for my best friend, Michael. He's been playing games as long as I have and we have very similar tastes, so I trust what he says about it.

I see.

Still, I'd like to know a single area other than community features that Killzone doesn't far surpass Halo at.

Madame Adequate
02-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Apparently, all of them. As I said he's my best friend, and we have very similar taste. *Shrugs* I know it's not fair, but I'm going to trust him over you :p

Bolivar
02-19-2010, 01:29 AM
Apparently, all of them. As I said he's my best friend, and we have very similar taste. *Shrugs* I know it's not fair, but I'm going to trust him over you :p

All of them, so you'd give deference to the opinion of someone who implies Halo has better character modelling, lighting, textures, clan support, hit detection, animation, and AI over Killzone?

:eek:

I'm messing with you, but ON TOPIC

In light of the end result of the PS3 version and emerging screenshot comparisons, I think it's safe to say a multiplatform route for FFvXIII wouldn't stop SE from making a visually stunning game, on both consoles.

NeoCracker
02-19-2010, 05:08 AM

You might as well have said 'Before you decide to list your 'evidence' and 'facts' that no one cares about'. :p

But yeah, I'd rather it remain PS3 exclusive because I do in fact have a PS3, and it is capable of higher performance, and a Multi-plat runs the risk of potential quality drops.

Bayonnetta for example. PS3 games have no real problem with load times, with a few exceptions. Most of these exceptions, especially in this game, are really only prelevant in Cross Platform games.

This likely rises from the games being made for 360 and ported to PS3, as it's easier and cheaper to do that then the other way around.

It doesn't always happen, but it runs the risk of doing so. And honestly, I don't care nearly as much about another person's gaming experience as I do my own, and I would like any possible risks at a decrease in that experience eliminated. :p

Mind you though, not at the cost of a company like Square dying out. But as has been show, games are doing very well on the PS3, so releasing a game that's PS3 exclusive isn't going to put the company under or anything, and as long as it's quality stuff they will keep going.

I really don't have a reason to desire anything other then PS3 exclusive. :p

Madame Adequate
02-19-2010, 11:41 AM

All of them, so you'd give deference to the opinion of someone who implies Halo has better character modelling, lighting, textures, clan support, hit detection, animation, and AI over Killzone?

:eek:

Okay maybe not all of them, just ones that matter, like gameplay, immersion, playability, and raw fun.

Goldenboko
02-19-2010, 03:23 PM

I see.

Still, I'd like to know a single area other than community features that Killzone doesn't far surpass Halo at.

Played, both, I like Halo better. :monster:

There is nothing in Killzone that is so "amazing" that it couldn't have been done on the xbox360. Maybe it wouldn't have looked quite as good on an LCD-HD TV, but it would've played the same.

Mercen-X
02-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Agreed. This is the only I'd have any faith the game's draw. The initial system being used is PS3, right? So if they rush out a Xbox version, it'll likely be a bit hacky and will make stomachs turn. The game needs to be released on PS3, then if they have time, Squee can wrap their nerdy-eggshaped heads around mapping the game to XBOX0.

RedPouch
02-20-2010, 08:06 PM

There is nothing in Killzone that is so "amazing" that it couldn't have been done on the xbox360. Maybe it wouldn't have looked quite as good on an LCD-HD TV, but it would've played the same.
I have to agree with this. I played both, but I still prefer Halo a lot more. And yeah to be honest, they would have played the same. It's a fact that cell technology exceeds what the 360 is capable of, but in all honesty a game like Killzone 2 isn't really using its full potential at all.

If this game ends up being multi-platform, then I'm going to get it for the PS3 obviously. However, I'm going to laugh my ass off if it does turn out to be multi-platform. That would be fucking great.

Croyles
02-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Got nothing to do with TVs really. Killzone is a lot better imo, and this is coming from someone who LOVED the first Halo and HATED the first Killzone.
Although I havent read all these replies and dont know what those games have to do with anything so im probably just throwing fuel on fire.

Agreed. This is the only I'd have any faith the game's draw. The initial system being used is PS3, right? So if they rush out a Xbox version, it'll likely be a bit hacky and will make stomachs turn. The game needs to be released on PS3, then if they have time, Squee can wrap their nerdy-eggshaped heads around mapping the game to XBOX0.

I would agree with this!

Mercen-X
02-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Someone agrees with me?

...well, I mean, I guess it's also agreeing with Meat Puppet, but still... awesome.

nirojan
02-21-2010, 05:38 AM
I think the broader question is would 360 owners be satisfied if they do release a sub-par version of vXIII? i mean now the comparison shots are coming in and apparently FFXIII on 360 isn't even in HD...its running on 576p and it'll be unscaled and blown up if you have a HDTV. Would 360 owners really want something like that to happen to vXIII?

That could also go the other way and maybe SE learns from their mistake and spend more time making a better port running perfect resolution on both consoles.

Mirage
02-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Non-HD games are being marketed as 720p all the time, this is nothing new.

And the FF13 port is probably very rushed, and a poor example of how vs13 could look if they used a bit more time on it.

nirojan
02-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Non-HD games are being marketed as 720p all the time, this is nothing new.

And the FF13 port is probably very rushed, and a poor example of how vs13 could look if they used a bit more time on it.

Yeah they're marketed like that, but that's becuase the games will shift their native resolution when put on a TV that upscales them. Have you seen the comparrison shots of the PS3 vs 360? The 360 looks alot less crisp and kinda pixelated at detailed spots, whereas the PS3 version is clean and polished and resembles quality similar to the AC BLU-RAY!

Mirage
02-23-2010, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=Mirage;2796146]the games will shift their native resolution when put on a TV that upscales them.

Do you understand what you said right there? And even if you did, you're still wrong.

When a game uses a sub-HD resolution, what's done is that the 3D part of the game is rendered at for example 576p, then upscaled to 720p. Then, the 2D graphics (such as HP gauges, ammo counters etc) in the game are usually put on top of that in 720p, because these don't require a lot of extra processing power just for being a tad bigger. Having a TV capable of a particular HD resolution will *never* make the game render the 3D in a higher resolution, if it couldn't even do 720p in the first place.

And yes, I've seen the PS3/360 comparasions, in fact, I was the first one to link to it on this forum. The reason the upscaling looks so much worse than usual, is because of the dithered transparency used in the game, this particular type of pseudo-transparency is hard to make look good when upscaled.

Rodarian
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM

btw, my main point was that the damage had already been done with FFXIII.

I hate you....:colbert:

Psychotic
02-23-2010, 09:25 PM
I think the broader question is would 360 owners be satisfied if they do release a sub-par version of vXIII?I would be, unless the game itself is terrible anyway.

Loony BoB
02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
I have no problem if it goes multiplatform - I intend on purchasing a PS3 and already have an Xbox360, but still, I wouldn't have a problem. I encourage this end of things these days as it means that more people are able to play more games. and that's a good thing.

As for the debate over whether or not FFXIII Versus is gonna be anything great or not - All I care about is this: "[Nomura] has also stated that the development team have been implementing a traversable world map, used in the main Final Fantasy series up until its removal in Final Fantasy X"

That may sound like a silly reason to buy a game, but this is about 99% of the reason that I want to buy this game. Really. I just like to make little FF characters move around little spheres. This is how I define joy.

RedPouch
02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I have no problem if it goes multiplatform - I intend on purchasing a PS3 and already have an Xbox360, but still, I wouldn't have a problem. I encourage this end of things these days as it means that more people are able to play more games. and that's a good thing.
I think this is a great attitude. Owning all these consoles, I'll prefer it on the PS3 anyways since that's the one it's being developed for [unless a supposed 360 version might come with something special, but I doubt it]. But I don't mind if it goes to the 360 as well. In fact I'd encourage it, because it'd be nice to discuss this game with some of my friends that happen to only own a 360. I think it's quite petty, childish, and selfish to want it to be exclusive.

nirojan
03-01-2010, 12:15 AM
the games will shift their native resolution when put on a TV that upscales them.

Do you understand what you said right there? And even if you did, you're still wrong.

When a game uses a sub-HD resolution, what's done is that the 3D part of the game is rendered at for example 576p, then upscaled to 720p. Then, the 2D graphics (such as HP gauges, ammo counters etc) in the game are usually put on top of that in 720p, because these don't require a lot of extra processing power just for being a tad bigger. Having a TV capable of a particular HD resolution will *never* make the game render the 3D in a higher resolution, if it couldn't even do 720p in the first place.

And yes, I've seen the PS3/360 comparasions, in fact, I was the first one to link to it on this forum. The reason the upscaling looks so much worse than usual, is because of the dithered transparency used in the game, this particular type of pseudo-transparency is hard to make look good when upscaled.

im agreeing with you clownface!
All i said was that when games aren't 720p or Full 1080p, they will get stretched by the HDTV that upscales them. Its like on Photoshop when you stretch pictures. Take Modern Warfare 2 for example. On the consoles (360, PS3) it was actually running at 600p, but on the back cover it says supported HD output: 720p, 1080i, 1080p. All that means is that it will get stretched out when playing it. I was agreeing with what you said and adding to it... my apologies if it seemed like a rebuttal or a counter-argument. On a side note the PC version of MW2 seems to go to full 1080p...woot PC FTW!!!!!

anyways i hope when vXIII reaches the 360 (only a matter of time folks) it will have a better conversion than what XIII had.

sephiroth45
03-01-2010, 07:34 PM
For the number of people agreeing that it should be available on the X360, im suprised the "No, stay on PS3" category is winning.

RedPouch
03-01-2010, 08:30 PM
For the number of people agreeing that it should be available on the X360, im suprised the "No, stay on PS3" category is winning.
Haha, have you read some of the other responses in this thread? Even though versus XIII is being developed FOR the PS3, and a port over to the 360 is highly unlikely to have any effect on the PS3 version as was the case with XIII "afterall" [basically understood by the article that Mirage posted in the other topic], they want it exclusive anyways. If it didn't remain exclusive then they wouldn't be able to have a bigger console-penis [what the hell?] than people who own only an Xbox 360.

Loony BoB
03-03-2010, 01:02 PM
anyways i hope when vXIII reaches the 360 (only a matter of time folks)
I don't think it's only a matter of time. There have been no announcements to say that it will be released on the 360 at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains exclusive.

nirojan
03-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't think it's only a matter of time. There have been no announcements to say that it will be released on the 360 at all. I wouldn't be surprised if it remains exclusive.

hey thats what they said about FFXIII....look what happened!

sephiroth45
03-05-2010, 12:12 AM

hey thats what they said about FFXIII....look what happened!

Actually all those trailers claiming that "Final Fantasy 13 was a PS3 exclusive" were in Japanese. If you were paying attention to Japan's launch, you would have noticed that it only came out on PS3 in Japan.

It's because all of you jumped the gun and hoped on the band wagan way back when thinking it was an exclusive. You were too impatient to wait for any international trailers, which should've been the only ones that mattered to you.

Unlike 13, Versus XIII's trailer (devoid of any dialogue) said "Exclusively for PS3 WORLDWIDE" at the ending. It was not a Japanese trailer or any region-specific trailer. This was the international trailer and the real thing you should've noticed!

RedPouch
03-05-2010, 03:48 AM
Actually all those trailers claiming that "Final Fantasy 13 was a PS3 exclusive" were in Japanese. If you were paying attention to Japan's launch, you would have noticed that it only came out on PS3 in Japan.
It's still available for the 360 in Japan by order only.

PaulV15590
03-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I think this is a tired suject, I've been a Final Fantasy fan for years now and I want to play XIII but I don't want a PS3 so I think it's great!
Not to meantion it was with Ninetendo 'til VII and then you could say it "betrayed them" too in going with Sony.

champagne supernova
03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
"[Nomura] has also stated that the development team have been implementing a traversable world map, used in the main Final Fantasy series up until its removal in Final Fantasy X"

That may sound like a silly reason to buy a game, but this is about 99% of the reason that I want to buy this game. Really. I just like to make little FF characters move around little spheres. This is how I define joy.

I'm excited about this. I'm still going to get XIII and will appreciate it for what it is, but I have really missed a World Map. Where I can fly an airship to wherever I want. I've always been more excited about Versus than XIII since the first trailer (which was super dark and atmospheric), and hopefully its worthy of the hype I'm building for it.

nirojan
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
For all of you that dont seem to reliaze the difference on sub HD 360 version as opposed to the full 720p PS3 version here's a video (courtesy of GameTrailers):

Final Fantasy XIII Video Game, 360/PS3 Comparison HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/360-ps3-comparison-final-fantasy/62809)

Is this what you want happening on vXIII? The CG scenes on PS3 are noticably better, but gameplay is pretty much the same!

Mirage
03-11-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm sure lots of 360 owners are satisfied with their copy of FF13. And it is no doubt a zillion times better than not playing it at all.

Serapy
03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
XIII's sold a lot more on PS3 than 360. So, will that fact convince Square not to make Versus go multiplatform? Probably.

Digital Phoenix
03-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Only reason to argue that it should be exclusive is if you're butthurt about dirty foreign Microsoft lovers enjoying a good game itbt

Are you kidding me!? That's the only reason!? You have to factor in that it will take them extra development time to get the 360 version working, delaying the release of the PS3 version if they want a simultaneous release.

Please, I'd rather have them focus on one platform rather than waste their time on a platform I don't own. Have those men that would work on the 360 version do something else.

It may be better for the people with only a 360, but I'm only looking out for my best interests.

Loony BoB
03-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Has anyone heard any news about Versus lately? I'm at work and most gaming sites are blocked here. :( Even the EoFF frontsite! I've found a bunch of links using Google News but can't get to anything at all. Most mention the focus on "story-driven gameplay".

milramyah
03-19-2010, 03:40 AM
I heard you will have the ability to fly an airship around the world map from IGN

The reason i want it to stay ps3 exclusive is that there is a lot more room on a blu ray disk than on a dvd and I don't want stuff to have to get cut from the game to fit a small number of dvds for a 360 version

edit:also, having the game on one blue ray will allow for backtracking that was cut out of xiii

nirojan
05-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Just Had to share this:
Final Fantasy Versus XIII Could Go Multi - X360 News at IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1090685p1.html)

Apparently Wada is "Considering it". If you really want to LOL read the comments on the page...the flame wars are worse than here(not soo bad here actually)!
EDIT: MERGED!

Bolivar
05-18-2010, 08:06 PM
The only thing we got from nonexclusivity was flamewars, a mediocre main-series Final Fantasy, and substandard port of said mediocre game.

The end product of Final Fantasy XIII only added to the reasons of why it shouldn't go multiplatform.

I'm a gamer, and I'd much rather have a great, polished game than a rushed game that more people can enjoy. At the end of the day, everyone can enjoy a PS3-exclusive FF by simply buying a PS3. It's a wonderful system with a deep library of various genres and the top-tier games in each of them, not to mention incredible functionality, with a new game raising the bar always on the horizon.

finaloblivion
05-18-2010, 11:22 PM
to be honest, I'd truly prefer the PS3 to be able to get an exclusive FF title, and for a long time I thought that title was going to be Versus. It may still be, but the fact remains that you can do a little more with a blu ray disc than you can a dvd. I own both a 360 and PS3, and I love them both for different reasons. But if there's one thing I've learned from playing them both back and forth is that things look slightly better on the PS3, especially when the devs started with the PS3 programming in mind. In other cases, I've seen 360 games look slightly better when the programming was originally done for the 360. In the end, I love my PS3. Whether it's multi or not, I'll be buying it for PS3, as I did with FFXIII. But seriously...I will be angry when the game is delayed monumentally because of the porting process. Or if anything gets downgraded or cut, because Nomura is touting Versus as having way more interactive content than XIII (world map, towns, etc...) and I don't want anything to be sacrificed. I didn't criticize XIII for lacking these things, but I'd love to see an HD FF do it again. And for the love of God....let's get some more info on this thing already.

Zaskull
05-19-2010, 09:55 PM
The only thing we got from nonexclusivity was flamewars, a mediocre main-series Final Fantasy, and substandard port of said mediocre game.

The end product of Final Fantasy XIII only added to the reasons of why it shouldn't go multiplatform.

I'm a gamer, and I'd much rather have a great, polished game than a rushed game that more people can enjoy. At the end of the day, everyone can enjoy a PS3-exclusive FF by simply buying a PS3. It's a wonderful system with a deep library of various genres and the top-tier games in each of them, not to mention incredible functionality, with a new game raising the bar always on the horizon.

THIS. Everything that was wrong with FFXIII could be linked to its nonexclusivity.

ShinGundam
05-19-2010, 11:47 PM
Has anyone heard any news about Versus lately? I'm at work and most gaming sites are blocked here. :( Even the EoFF frontsite! I've found a bunch of links using Google News but can't get to anything at all. Most mention the focus on "story-driven gameplay".
Nothing new at all beside this Interview with Nomura from fan-submitted questions on Twitter.

How far along is Versus?

"Not everything is connected together, so the various areas have different levels of progress. However, you can fly across the world map in an air ship."

What about that talk about a sequel to Dissidia Final Fantasy being under consideration?

"A Dissidia Final Fantasy sequel -- we'll work at it!" Unfortunately, this answer can mean anything. It could mean that they're actually working on a sequel. It could also mean that Nomura is working to get a sequel started. You probably shouldn't take this as confirmation that a sequel is in development, though (although it probably is -- have you seen how many copies the first one sold?).

What is your favorite character?

"I like all the characters I've made. However, the character I most encounter, Sora, is special."

You discussed a lot with Konami's Hideo Kojima in a net radio broadcast. What happened to your relationship after that?

"I occasionally receive dinner invites from Kojima."

We'd like you to start Twitter

"I have nothing to Tweet."

I'd like to know the state of Versus 13, Agito, 3rd Birthday, etc.

"I'm being stopped by producer Hashimoto."

Give us a progress report on the games you're working on, the games you're playing, and interests.

"I'd like to release two titles within the year. As for games that I'm playing, I cleared Battle Field 2 and have started playing Heavy Rain. As for interests outside of games, I'll watch any video in general."

Loony BoB
05-20-2010, 11:10 AM
He's being stopped? Does that mean stopped from saying more, or stopped from moving the projects forward? :p

And ahahahaha at the "fan-submitted questions on Twitter" with a reply that they have nothing to Tweet. =] Why are they asking for questions and interviews if they have nothing to say? So annoying!

Slothy
05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
THIS. Everything that was wrong with FFXIII could be linked to its nonexclusivity.

How did you come to that conclusion? Last I checked, going multiplatform doesn't excuse bad writing and boring gameplay. You could argue that it's the reason all of the side quests are at the end, but then I'd ask what side quests since the whole thing is just Mark hunts.

Wolf Kanno
05-22-2010, 07:52 PM
It just might happen, Squenix is reporting having some of the best sales ever (http://square-enix-news.newslib.com/story/5218-3211965/)and part of that is XIII's success which did fairly good on both consoles. I wouldn't be surprised if Squenix chose to go multi-platform from here on out.

It really doesn't bother me too much, even if the game was still exclusive, I don't have much faith in the SE development teams anymore to pull off a AAA title anymore let alone make another great Final Fantasy. Every year it seems like SE loses another star employee. I wouldn't be surprised if Nomura decided to quit Squenix in a few years after he finishes the KH projects he's working on and decided to form his own company like almost every other Ex-Square employee. Hell, I'm surprised Ito is still around.