PDA

View Full Version : grinding: good and bad

wild-one
02-12-2010, 10:19 PM
here,lets discuss level grinding
as we all know,if we grind,we get better magic,if you are focusing on junctioning,go ahead,but you will lose lots of HP
so its good to junction to HP(see what i'm saying?use Siren!)
lets grind the talking!:cool:

Mo-Nercy
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Generally speaking, in FF8, it's better to avoid levelling up and refine strong magic for junctioning. Enemies level up with you, after all, so there's just about no reason to gain levels because low level enemies + awesome junctions on your characters > high level enemies + awesome junctions on your characters.

But monsters will have better magic to draw from them as you level up. So it depends on whether you like to get your magic by drawing in battle or refining.

Personally, I like to fight monsters as they come. I still like to learn Enc-None almost straight away, of course, but I don't make any special effort to avoid levelling up before I get it. I will, however, try to be efficient and draw 100 of anything from everything whenever I see it.

To answer your question. I never grind in FF8 ('cept Cactuar grinding for AP)

Saber
02-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Well, it depends on how you play the game. If you level up you can draw better magic, but if you don't level up the enemies will be weaker once you refine magic. So my theory is that its bad!!

No proof, just an opinion. Although if I was to ever sit down and play the game again, I would do a low level (card every enemy) challange.

Lightening
02-13-2010, 10:48 PM
I play lots of cards in this game so that's always made me very powerful. All I really need from battles are ability points so I can learn abilities, but I don't need much grinding for that

qwertysaur
02-13-2010, 10:54 PM
I wonder what the monsters fight to level grind :p

MJN SEIFER
02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
I always level up on FFVIII, I like having full HP and as much abilities as I can.

Also enemies don't level up with you, they level up as you do.

seiferalmasy2
02-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I think Grinding is inevitable, the sad thing is RPGs dont even give you a bit of help. They make you grind for 20-30 hours when it should be more like 5 or 10 maximum. It is too excessive.

FFX sphere grid gives me loads of fun and so do th side quests but they make you battle for hours to fill it and capture 10 of each monster. Why not 1 or 5? No. had to make it 10.

Karifean
02-15-2010, 07:50 PM
There was only one time when I actually bothered leveling up in FF VIII ("High Level Challenge"), in all my other games, I was merely Lv 20 at max. I thought the HLC was far too easy, but then again, all the Low Level Challenges were far too easy as well. I suppose FF VIII's difficulty is maxed out if you normally level up during the storyline.

Lightening
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I think Grinding is inevitable, the sad thing is RPGs dont even give you a bit of help. They make you grind for 20-30 hours when it should be more like 5 or 10 maximum. It is too excessive.

FFX sphere grid gives me loads of fun and so do th side quests but they make you battle for hours to fill it and capture 10 of each monster. Why not 1 or 5? No. had to make it 10.

you don't have to grind much to be able to complete most FF games, but if you want to do some of the extras, you will have to.

Jiro
02-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Every monster is secretly watching you fight, learning your skills

qwertysaur
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Every monster is secretly watching you fight, learning your skills
:eek: Diablos has a hidden camera on that lamp! Squall better be careful looking through those magazines in Timber :bigsmile:

hitman1984
02-22-2010, 06:15 PM
tbh i think this all depends on how you want to play the game, if you're just wanting the storied experience without the long haul of over leveling then your best bet is not the grind but to use junction, refine and tool's.

As for me i like leveling up and getting the most i can out of the game, i guess as well i have always had this werid thing where i feel much more safer playing the later parts of the game knowing i've leveled up as much as possible not sure why but that's just me and i tend to do that for most RPG's just leveling up to the max.

Also i tend to find in VIII that grinding isn't all that frustration once you reach the islands closest to heaven and hell, it becomes pretty easy.