PDA

View Full Version : NHS' "I'd do anything advert"

MJN SEIFER
02-12-2010, 10:41 PM
What's your opinion of it? It's an anti Smoking advert which shows kids singing "i'd do anything" - the point being that kids would do anything for they're parents, and yet parents can't stop smoking for the kids.

However, do you think it gives the message? I think for the most it does, except for one scene - there is a section where two of the kids stop singing and fight over who's turn it is - one of them seams to be acting a bit unfair to the other one (she just takes the camera away from her), was this acting? If so why? it's not a comedy ad. Or is it live, and the kids just fell out for minute or so - if so, why the hell did they keep it in? Isn't it a bit unfair on the two kids, who now look quite badly behaved in this advert, whenfor all we know they are probably alright, they just lost it during filming...

Quindiana Jones
02-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I'd be happy with a much cheaper "Stop smoking, you moron. Or, if you don't want to, shut the fuck up about us jacking up the cost of them with taxes."

It'd be rocking, IMHO.

demondude
02-12-2010, 10:50 PM
It's nice advert but I don't think it's really effective enough. First off not every smoker has children, and secondly most smokers who do have children probably know the risks but choose to pander to their addiction instead. A simple message about the dangers of smoking and its long-term and short-term effects are enough.

Cuchulainn
02-13-2010, 12:13 AM
Something IS working, smoking is at an all time low in the UK. My wife was American I remember when she moved here she could not get over how brutal our Government Adverts were (Anti-Speeding, Anti-Drink Driving, Anti-Smoking etc). They genuinely scared her.

Rye
02-13-2010, 09:49 AM
The adverts are really harsh in the UK. PSAs here terrify me. Those cigarette box labels, jesus.

It still is odd how more people in the UK smoke more than in the US though, in my experience. We have a few unpleasant commercials, but nothing nearly as graphic.

Madame Adequate
02-13-2010, 09:57 AM
http://media.economist.com/images/20100206/CBR855.gif

Dunno what you Mrcns did, but it worked. Mind, we've made great progress ourselves.

As for the ad, it was probably deliberate, and whilst not a comedy ad, it was probably intended to remind parents of how their own kids act.

Meat Puppet
02-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow I never really would have thunk that the British were as heavy/heavier smokers than the French. What a world!

FaithWontFall
02-13-2010, 09:35 PM
I like the advert, i think it sends out a good message, whether people listen to it or not is their choice but it might make them stop and think a bit before ignoring it.
If its acting,i also dont see the point of that little girl breaking the washing machine (at least i think thats what it is). Now her parents dont have a choice, they cant smoke because they have to pay to get it fixed. :) Clever thinking.

Moon Rabbits
02-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe if kids weren't so goddamned stressful their parents wouldn't need to lite a bitch stick after dealing with the ugly buggers.

eestlinc
02-14-2010, 02:04 AM
almost 40% of brits smoked daily in 1980?