PDA

View Full Version : Games which make you cower in fear

Zeldy
02-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Which games have reduced to a shivering crying wreck?

I'm about half way through Zelda Ocarina Of Time Master Quest, and ohhhh my god, the ZOMBIES guys, the freaking zombies make me cry so much I can't bear to hold the controller. I just did the 'Under the well' mini-dungeon, and I screamed with fear three times much to my sibling's amusement as I have a really sore throat at the moment and it hurts me to speak never mind scream! At one point, there's a ring of zombies and my brother tells me to stun them (yes, good) but to then use Din's Fire as a method of hurting them all at once, but after doing said move the zombies became un-stunned and came towards me. I forgot to mention that they were also on fire. I friggin PANICKED. ;____;

I'm talking about these fellas:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/ShipOfFools/Zelda/OcarinaofTime/thumb/redead.bmp_thumb.jpg

Sephiroth
02-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Which game let me have nightmares?

Easy one. Silent Hill.

But I hate these Zelda zombies and their "Uhhh...". And I hate it every time I see them in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

But I hate this Brain Eater in Ocarina of Time with these hands which grow out of the earth and which try to hold you so he can attack you even more than the zombies.

Zeldy
02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
But I hate these Zelda zombies and their "Uhhh...". And I hate it every time I see them in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

But I hate this Brain Eater in Ocarina of time with these hands which grow out the earth and which try to hold you so he can attack you even more than the zombies.

YES OH MY GOD YOU UNDERSTAND TOO. I refuse to go through hyrule as adult link if I can avoid it, and the song of sun is like the only one I have memorized I use it that much to stun them.

Yeahh, I just went against that too xD my brother made me laugh though by saying the 'Brain Eater' was walking in a really queer way. I also screamed at the mummy!

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I was not expecting this to be a Zelda thread. xD

Condemned was pretty good for atmosphere, I think.

qwertysaur
02-16-2010, 11:14 PM
That thing with the hands in OoT is the being that gives everything nightmares in Hyrule :cry:

My friends calls it Aunt Jemima for some reason. :p

Sephiroth
02-16-2010, 11:16 PM
YES OH MY GOD YOU UNDERSTAND TOO. I refuse to go through hyrule as adult link if I can avoid it, and the song of sun is like the only one I have memorized I use it that much to stun them.

Get Epona, then there is no problem in the night.

Zeldy
02-16-2010, 11:21 PM

Get Epona, then there is no problem in the night.

Noo, I mean inside the grounds xD

This isn't a Zelda thread! but I JUST did that dungeon, so it's fresh on my mind :{

Sephiroth
02-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Noo, I mean inside the grounds xD

I see.

You've said "I refuse to go through hyrule", that's why I thought you wouldn't just mean the dungeons.

It's too bad I cannot find my Pad. Otherwise I would have made some scary screenshots about Zelda.

McLovin'
02-16-2010, 11:45 PM
I heard Bioshock was scaree.

Those mutated, radiated things in Fallout 3 scared the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of me when I turned a corner.

Nifleheim7
02-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Demon's Souls brings a whole new level to the definition of fear.

Moon Rabbits
02-17-2010, 12:16 AM
The following two scenes from Silent Hill 2 have always creeped the living smurfing BAJESUS out of me. Shiverrrrrrrrrrs.

YouTube - Silent Hill 2 Cutscenes 54 - Angela, After boss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugNt6PVI18w)

YouTube - SILENT HILL 2 Angela at the burning staircase (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvnoMPode6E)

Those cylinders in the wall of the first video make me feel queasy.

Vyk
02-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I remember the Zelda face-raping zombies lol Horny bastards

Scary video games came along much too late for me. Scary movies no longer worked. And neither did scary video games. But a game that still managed to put me in the trill of the moment for freakish head trippy sometimes startling things going on was Eternal Darkness

Yeargdribble
02-17-2010, 01:42 AM
It's too bad that virtually nobody has played or can ever again play System Shock 2. That game just reeks of scary atmosphere in a way I've yet to see matched with games of the last few generations.

Slothy
02-17-2010, 01:52 AM
It's too bad that virtually nobody has played or can ever again play System Shock 2. That game just reeks of scary atmosphere in a way I've yet to see matched with games of the last few generations.

I "obtained" a copy a little while ago, but haven't really played much yet to be honest. Great atmosphere, but it hasn't seemed to age well on the gameplay side.

As for scaring the crap out of me, Silent Hill 3. Always Silent Hill 3. Nothing matches the scare factor there. As far as fear of dying in a game though it's probably Demon's Souls. That or Ghosts & Goblins.

Vermachtnis
02-17-2010, 02:33 AM
The Chozo Ghosts in Metroid Prime scare me. It gets dark and quiet and they rush at you through the walls.

Sir Lancealot
02-17-2010, 02:42 AM
The Chozo Ghosts in Metroid Prime scare me. It gets dark and quiet and they rush at you through the walls.

And the music.

Flying Arrow
02-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Cliche as it may be, off the top of my head I immediately think of Silent Hill 2. One of the most unsettling experiences I've ever had gaming. Anyone who's played it will probably agree.

PuPu
02-17-2010, 03:01 AM
Like others have said before, Silent Hill. Played it at 7 and I had trouble sleeping for days.

Moon Rabbits
02-17-2010, 03:14 AM
http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/DeFoe/trilby.gif

Yeargdribble
02-17-2010, 03:36 AM

I "obtained" a copy a little while ago, but haven't really played much yet to be honest. Great atmosphere, but it hasn't seemed to age well on the gameplay side.

It had quite a loving mod community. There were tons of significant graphical upgrades to pretty much the entire game making it look so much better (most namely Rebirth and SHTUP). I feel like the interface aged far better than the visuals and were well ahead of their time. I remember people making such a hullabaloo about Doom 3's innovative use of voice logs to tell the story when SS2 had done it FIVE years earlier.

The fact that weapons can break and that the enemies never stop coming in any other game would get on my nerves, but just really worked in this particular game. I seriously used to freak my wife out by waiting until she was half asleep and rasping, "Your song is not ours..."

blackmage_nuke
02-17-2010, 03:41 AM

it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts, it hurts,

Slothy
02-17-2010, 04:02 AM

I love that series and it can be pretty creepy. I'd have to say that Trilby's Notes is pretty bad though. Great atmosphere and story, but my god was the text based gameplay craptacular.

Mo-Nercy
02-22-2010, 10:54 AM
F.E.A.R. .. I don't like Alma. I struggle with any FPS game so playing one with creepy shadows and little girls on the prowl made it even worse for me.

Also, I found it impossible to play Project Zero 3 (a.k.a. Fatal Frame 3) for more than an hour at a time because I was so freaked out by it. It's one thing to know that your character has a gun to shoot scary things with, but if your character can barely run and is only armed with a camera, things suddenly seem a lot more horrifying.

http://gaygamer.net/images/fatal_frame_3_ghostbust.jpg

http://talay.psu.ac.th/stdpages/HTMWeb49/w90125/ban90125/fatal-frame-iii-the-tormented-20051116105804515%5B1%5D.jpg
the horrrroorrr

Because the majority of the game takes place in nightmares, having the main character finish a chapter and wake up was always a relief for me... until things started materialising in the protagonist's house while she was awake too. I remember walking to the bathroom and seeing a black shadow in the mirror. Scared the hell outta me.

It's the best game I'll never play ever again.

Xaven
02-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I've never played a game scarier than Luigi's Mansion. I don't sit well with horror movies as it is, so I dunno if I'll be picking up any such games soon. Or ever. D:

Ultima Shadow
02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Which games have reduced you to a shivering crying wreck?
Tetris!

*runs off*

I Don't Need A Name
02-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Silent Hill games obviously. I hate Brookenhaven hospital :(

AVP scares the crap out of you with aliens jumping out in all directions, especially on Survival Mode

Laddy
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM
System Shock 2 is amazing, my logic-loving friend.

Fallout 1's Master makes me wanna find a happy place.

vinnie's mini's
02-22-2010, 04:31 PM
When I was younger the game that used to frighten me to death was 'Zombies' or as its known elsewhere 'Zombies ate my neighbours' for the SNES. I love playing it but there were so many bits that just totally freaked me out and I refused to play it without my dear mummy in the room with me :D

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/any-more-cheese/zombiesate.gif

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/any-more-cheese/zombies-maniac2.gif
(The music that came with these guys.....Well.... -Shivers- )

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/any-more-cheese/zombies-bossbaby.gif

I totally agree with the whole Zelda thing, they used to scare me so much O.O;

Pretty much any shooting game will frighten me, in fact on the occasions I have played one the controller normally ends up on the other side of the room with me screaming at the tv.

Oh and I remember when we first got the PS2 and we got a demo disc with it. There was a game on there that totally had me freaked for weeks! I think it was project zero or something, all I know is you had a camera and that was it.

hitman1984
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
i dont think any game has really scared me out of my wits but probably Resident Evil and Silent Hill use to make me jump from time to time, nowadays most games never give me that rush of adrenalin of a little fear and unpredictability like those games did.

Lightening
02-22-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't remember what the game was called, but it's an old pc game that would just run in MS-DOS. it's about a girl, I think her name was Laura, she's inside a big house and she starts to remember more and more about a murder that she's witnessed and blocked out of her memory, I think it was someone in her family getting killed by someone else in her family, I don't know. it was scary anyhow.

Yeargdribble
02-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I'd highly suggest playing Terry Cavanagh's "Judith". It will only take 10-15 minutes. My heart was racing nearly the whole time and it made my skin crawl.

http://distractionware.com/blog/?p=759

Slothy
02-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Judith was pretty neat and positively brimming with atmosphere, but it's a shame there wasn't much actual gameplay there. Still, I have to admit it was a lot creepier than I expected.

I Don't Need A Name
02-22-2010, 10:07 PM
There was the PC game thing called 'Weird', which was more of a database of weird/supernatural events, but you occassionally had to solve a puzzle to get to the infomation.

That scared the crap out of me!

kikimm
02-22-2010, 10:15 PM
For some reason I've never been scared by the Silent Hill games. It makes me feel left out :p I'm definitely CREEPED out by them, but there wasn't usually any fear revolving around what's in the next room, around the corner, etc.

But Fatal Frame. Oh man. I couldn't even finish it. =( Like Mo-Nercy said, it's the fact that all you have is a fucking camera to kill :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Plus I sucked using it so that probably added to the fearness :P

Also, there were a few parts, namely the "haunted house" in Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines. Took me forever to get through that part cause I kept having to get up and go out of my room to walk around the house and get rid of the heebie jeebies. Eep

Moon Rabbits
02-23-2010, 01:11 AM
I forgot about Judith! That "game" was creepy!

blackmage_nuke
02-23-2010, 03:31 AM
But Fatal Frame. Oh man. I couldn't even finish it. =( Like Mo-Nercy said, it's the fact that all you have is a smurfing camera to kill :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Plus I sucked using it so that probably added to the fearness :P

Also, there were a few parts, namely the "haunted house" in Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines. Took me forever to get through that part cause I kept having to get up and go out of my room to walk around the house and get rid of the heebie jeebies. Eep

I found it absurd how the girl in Fatal Frame doesnt react more than a startled gasp when there are disembodied spirits floating towards her trying to eat her very soul, also how she doesnt run faster from said ghosts and how she decided to visit the mansion at night and not like call the police or something about her missing brother. Ive never finished the game.

The haunted house in vampire masqurade: bloodlines creeped me out for abit before I realised I actually took very little damage when i was hit with anything and it posed no real threat so I ran through the whole thing and all the tension and spooky stuff wasnt so scary when i moved at a faster pace.

Yeargdribble
02-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Speaking of Judith... did anyone who played that play Don't Look Back (http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh/dont-look-back)? I was really surprised and actually shed tears the first time and then realized exactly what I was playing.

Basically it wasOrpheus and Eurydice.

Shiny
02-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Tribly! I thought this one was scary, but I thought 7 Days a Skeptic was scarier. That thing chasing me on the ship! I was just like, "RUN MOTHER BISH, RUNNNN! HE GONNA GET CHU!"

Mo-Nercy
02-23-2010, 10:10 AM
But Fatal Frame. Oh man. I couldn't even finish it. =( Like Mo-Nercy said, it's the fact that all you have is a smurfing camera to kill :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Plus I sucked using it so that probably added to the fearness :P
I found it absurd how the girl in Fatal Frame doesnt react more than a startled gasp when there are disembodied spirits floating towards her trying to eat her very soul, also how she doesnt run faster from said ghosts and how she decided to visit the mansion at night and not like call the police or something about her missing brother. Ive never finished the game.
And if she gets damaged by a ghost, it's like "oh~ ^^"

Laddy
02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream!

Croyles
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Does anybody remember The 7th Guest?

YouTube - The 7th Guest - 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_qVbrWIlzg&feature=PlayList&p=21F5DD6B3CE36656&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1)

Imperfectionist
02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
I get so scared by games and films and stuff :( And it's annoying because I really really wanna play Bioshock but I know i'll just end up hiding under the covers and calling my boyfriend at 4 in the morning all scared like :(

When I was about 11/12, my friend had a sleepover for her birthday and we started playing her brother's Alone in the Dark 4.
Oh.
My.
God.
I have never been so scared in my life.

Oh and also, I watched this last night and I nearly died of laughter:
YouTube - Super Mario World is a SCARY GAME! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVDOj109F5E)

Moon Rabbits
02-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Speaking of Judith... did anyone who played that play Don't Look Back (http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh/dont-look-back)? I was really surprised and actually shed tears the first time and then realized exactly what I was playing.

Basically it wasOrpheus and Eurydice.

Yes, this was a very well done game. Frustrating at times, maybe, but good.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream!

I REMEMBER THAT GAME OMG I WAS LIKE 5 WHEN I PLAYED IT.

Imperfectionist
02-23-2010, 10:41 PM
I just played that Judith game, pretty atmospheric but then the ending just kinda felt really anticlimatic... am I missing something?

I also don't understand how it's a game about control either...

Lightening
02-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Has anyone ever played this game before?

YouTube - Ripper Intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK49_zabj1A)

I watched my brother play it on his old computer once, and I remember i absolutely fell in love with the song playing in the background, I'm sure you all recognize the song. I did not recognize it when I was 12, so i searched all over kazaa and such trying to find it and because the game was called ripper, i searched for "don't fear the ripper" so i didn't find it until ages later. luckily some bastard had put ripper in the song title instead of reaper so I found it. Later I find out it's a very popular song.

Breine
02-28-2010, 09:11 PM
As a kid I was really scared of playing the "Opera House" level in Tomb Raider 2. I just thought it was so big and dark - and the music was creepy too. Also, at one point in the "Temple of Xian" you have to go into this cave filled with these big spiders... ugh.

Drift
03-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I hate spiders, also I hate small things with knives running at you, so Silent Hill 1 in the school.

I dont hate tonberry's though. Go figure

Alucard von Elru
03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Deep, dense water scares me, so playing Twilight Princess recently left me a bit unsettled. The boss at the Water Temple dialed up that water fear to an absurd level. You fall from a ridiculous height into a gorramn vast room that is just endless, murky water. No music, no sound. Just you, and the vague notion that you must swim down into the depths of hell. *shudders*

On that note, the "water snake" in Shadow of the Colossus does me in too!

Mo-Nercy
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I've been watching a playthrough of Fatal Frame 4 on YouTube lately. I'm not as scared by it as I was with 3, but that's most likely because I'm just passively watching someone play, and not actually experiencing it firsthand. The guy's pretty good too, and never gets hurt, so there's no element of suspense and fear.

Drift
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
a perfect game?