PDA

View Full Version : Dante's Inferno

Unbreakable Will
02-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Seriously, you're in Hell, you have the Grim Reapers scythe and a holy cross for your main weapons, magic, boobs galore, and awesome cutscenes and battle.

I have it for the Xbox 360, who else has played it?

Thoughts and opinions?

Slothy
02-18-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm waiting for God of War III myself.

And it may be somewhat petty of me, but I'm really put off by the idea of a game based on Dante's Inferno, especially when it has so little to do with Dante's Inferno. If I had a list of things that shouldn't be made into games I'm pretty sure it'd be on it.

It's nice that 360 owners have a decent game (from what I've heard) in the God of War style to play though I suppose.

NeoCracker
02-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeah, this game isn't a God of War rip off. It is in fact God of War. Someone at EA stole the source code and replaced the image and sound files.

Really, this game is God of War with more stupid puzzles that kill you many times do to stupid reasons, and not legitamate challange, and more 'Press X to not die' moments.

If you have a PS3, it's best to skip this entirely and just await GoW 3, which I basically guarantee will be better in every way. :p

Biggest thing that bothered me is that everything in this game was basically put in for shear shock value, especially enemies in Lust.

Honestly, I can't really recommend this game.

demondude
02-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I played it round a friends house for a while, and its pretty twisted. Wouldn't say it was particularly original or innovative though.

Unbreakable Will
02-19-2010, 02:23 AM
Has anyone played the whole way through? The final boss, Lucifer, is smurfing hard. It took me at least ten tries on 'Zealot' difficulty.

Rad Bromance
02-19-2010, 04:14 AM
I really wanted it but then the more I heard/saw about it the less I wanted to buy it. It's literally God of War: Catholic Edition.

I'll probably pick up a used copy of it a year or two from now.

Yeargdribble
02-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't understand why this game garners so much hate. It's getting shat on for copying GoW to a tee and ripped apart for it. I know that in a month the same complaints about the exact same issues will not be levied against GoW III. GoW didn't create the 3rd person action genre, though some claim it perfected it.

Plenty of RPGs will come out every year and nobody will complain that they are stealing and copying the same stats, weapons and battle of other RPGs though they essentially are.

Even more to the point, have you looked at shooters lately?
1. Space Marines vs. Aliens
2. WW II Allied vs. Nazis
3. Modern Combatants vs. Terrorists

The critics aren't ripping every one of these games a new a**hole as they come out just because they are essentially copying mechanics from another game.

Attack DI on the plot, on the inspiration, on the religiosity, on the tastelessness, on terrible gameplay, but do not attack it because it's too much like GoW.

When GoW came out everyone thought, "I wish there were more games like this" and here we have DI and people getting pissed. Sometimes there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. If you're going to say that GoW is amazing and that DI is an exact copy, then there's no reason that DI shouldn't be classed the same in the same areas.

Faris
02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I really enjoyed this game, actually :D I understand the plot is very different from the actual Inferno or even Dante's life, but there is a section in the special features that goes on about the real Dante and Beatrice (ie, when he wrote things, what he did, when she died, when he died). I'm not surprised that it's merely based on something, but I like what they did with it.

Has anyone played the whole way through? The final boss, Lucifer, is smurfing hard. It took me at least ten tries on 'Zealot' difficulty.
I played classic in my first run through. The difference between Classic and Zealot is insane. It took me almost thrice as long just to get the scythe!

Vyk
02-19-2010, 04:59 PM
My friend downloaded it and played through the demo a couple of times. It did seem very GoW to me. And the only reason that would be a complaint is because I don't enjoy GoW anymore. The first game was fun and different. But I only got halfway through the second one before going meh on it. Just lost interest in the style. So in that regard its not good for them to copy GoW. But I did really enjoy Darksiders, which is just as easily a GoW game and I won't knock it for that. It just presented the style in a manner that's more to my liking

NeoCracker
02-19-2010, 11:10 PM
To Yearg, there is a difference between being heavily modeled after the game, and being the damned game.

Dante's is getting this flak not nescessarilly because it's copying God of War, but because it's doing it so shamelessly, and the game itself isn't even trying anymore.

You can argue that Darksiders is basically Zelda, but it fused in aspects of God of War at least. It may not have been the biggest change, but at least it actually tried, there was visible effort put inot it.

In the Case of God of War, it hardly invented the Action Genre as you said, but it was different then the others. THey way in which Kratos fought was notably different then any other action game I had played, the Quicktime events merged in with gameplay, and varous other things. God of War actually put a lot of effort into being it's own game.

In the case, again, of Dante's, it doesn't look like at any point they tried.

On that note, I actually finished Dante's, but couldn't sit through Darksiders. ;P

Yeargdribble
02-19-2010, 11:40 PM
I'm just frustrated because so many of the reviews I read and listened to were painfully biased. The one at GameTrailers (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-dantes-inferno/61732) was especially so.

Watch the review and see how many times you can add onto any criticism the phrase "...just like GoW." The even take a jab at the way you get health and open doors with a QTE and say that even though GoW did this, they should've learned better. In a month GoW III will have the same BS QTEs for opening doors and chests, and nobody's gonna dock its review score for doing so even though it, like DI could've learned from past mistakes.

I don't care if the games isn't even trying to set itself apart. Like I said, how many RPGs or shooters try to set themselves apart? Exactly what did MW2 do to set itself apart from the genre? Yet it won dozens of GOTY awards.

Just because the game is obviously and shamelessly more similar, are you really giving a free pass to every other game that "rips off" its predecessors just because they slightly alter a mechanic in an effort to not be so blatant? I just don't give a crap about that silly pandering.

If the game is good, it's good on its own merits. I've played dozens of games that are absolute rip offs of other games. When they do it poorly I'm fine giving them crap, but when they do the same thing in their own way to a high degree of polish I don't care who they ripped off. If the game is good, it's good.

Unbreakable Will
02-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I don't understand why this game garners so much hate. It's getting shat on for copying GoW to a tee and ripped apart for it. I know that in a month the same complaints about the exact same issues will not be levied against GoW III. GoW didn't create the 3rd person action genre, though some claim it perfected it.

Plenty of RPGs will come out every year and nobody will complain that they are stealing and copying the same stats, weapons and battle of other RPGs though they essentially are.

Even more to the point, have you looked at shooters lately?
1. Space Marines vs. Aliens
2. WW II Allied vs. Nazis
3. Modern Combatants vs. Terrorists

The critics aren't ripping every one of these games a new a**hole as they come out just because they are essentially copying mechanics from another game.

Attack DI on the plot, on the inspiration, on the religiosity, on the tastelessness, on terrible gameplay, but do not attack it because it's too much like GoW.

When GoW came out everyone thought, "I wish there were more games like this" and here we have DI and people getting pissed. Sometimes there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. If you're going to say that GoW is amazing and that DI is an exact copy, then there's no reason that DI shouldn't be classed the same in the same areas.
Thank you. My thought on the matter exactly. :colbert:

NeoCracker
02-23-2010, 05:45 PM
How did they do anything in their own way? They did it the exact same way God of War did.

Most games in question I don't see as that big of a Rip off as most, and for the most part they alter multiple things about the game. The ones that barely do :bou::bou::bou::bou: I take issue with.

However when we have a game that differs less from the game it's ripping off then We Love Katamari Differs from Katamari Damacy, we have a problem.

And no, I don't play the majority of shooter games either, for the simple fact there is next to no difference between some of them. (The Conduit, M.A.G., and Metroid Prime games are a few examples of real effort in the Shooter Market.)

bipper
02-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Seriously, you're in Hell, you have the Grim Reapers scythe and a holy cross for your main weapons, magic, boobs galore, and awesome cutscenes and battle.

I have it for the Xbox 360, who else has played it?

Thoughts and opinions?

PS3 version. Kicks the :bou::bou::bou::bou: outta God Of Bore.

It is a new level of Brutal.

I agree with Yearg all the way on this. GoW is nothing special, outside of its look and feel. The epicnacity of what your quest is. Time Chick, RE4, all follow some situation which can be thought as derived from the GoW series. The control mechanisms is nothing new.

Bolivar
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Halo shamelessly copied Tribes. Call of Duty genericized Battlefield. They did it again when Battlefield 2 came out, except this time they called it "Modern Warfare". Last but not least, Final Fantasy ripped off of Dragon Quest.

With the exception of Halo ( :ty: ) these are all great games. The problem is we need to stop rating games based on our ideas about them and start judging them based on what actually happens when that controller's in your hand and that game is on the screen.

Which is good for this thread because I gotta say Dante's Inferno is pretty fun. I played the demo on PS3 as well as some other stuff at PAX. The one thing it has that God of War doesn't is the karma system, where you can Punish or Absolve. I thought was kinda cool, it's one way in which it isn't a total rip off, bringing nothing new to the table. That said, i do believe God of War has its own flavor, it didn't invent 3rd person, fixed camera, action/adventure games with puzzles and platforming, but it has its own flair within it and Dante's is clearly inspired by it, even more so than Inferno itself.

Still, I'm not buying it b/c God of War III is coming out next month and will probably be the best game of this year. I'll wait until Dante's is hovering around 30 or 20 before I pick it up.

Slothy
02-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Call of Duty genericized Battlefield. They did it again when Battlefield 2 came out, except this time they called it "Modern Warfare".

To be perfectly fair, Call of Duty lifted more from Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, which the people who formed Infinity Ward released 9 months before Battlefield 1942 came out. For that matter, implying that a largely single player game focused on providing an adrenaline rush of a single player experience ripped off an objective based multiplayer game with huge maps and a focus on vehicle combat is a laugh and a half. The two are nothing alike outside of their setting.

Same goes for Battlefield 2 and COD4. The setting is similar, but the games are radically different from the very focus of their gameplay to how they feel.

Yeargdribble
02-23-2010, 10:12 PM
How did they do anything in their own way? They did it the exact same way God of War did.

Basically they took the build and controls and everything, but they used a different story. I didn't hear people griping about GoW stealing and bastardizing Greek mythology, but for some reason people get pissy about The Divine Comedy, though I doubt most have read it. Sure, they did nothing new other than use the same mechanics with a different story, but I don't care.

If GoW is fun to play, DI is fun to play. I don't care who came first or who stole what. If gameplay is fun, it's fun. I'd say their art direction was pretty solid and very twisted. That's a plus. If it looks great and plays just like a game everyone loves I can't understand what makes people upset.

If they'd made it look worse, control worse, and broke everything they were stealing for GoW, then there would be cause for dissent and negative comparisons, but considering everyone claims it's an exact clone, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think Bolivar mentioned probably the greatest example for us all. Final Fantasy was just as shameless a rip off of Dragon Quest, but none of us care today. Both DQ1 and FF1 are good games with good gameplay for the time and have aged relatively well.

Who cares if the chicken or the egg came first if they both taste delicious?

bipper
02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Trying too hard to do things differently is what got us the Wii. Please Neo, stop pissing before Nintendo hears you.

NeoCracker
02-24-2010, 02:10 AM

Basically they took the build and controls and everything, but they used a different story. I didn't hear people griping about GoW stealing and bastardizing Greek mythology, but for some reason people get pissy about The Divine Comedy, though I doubt most have read it. Sure, they did nothing new other than use the same mechanics with a different story, but I don't care.

If GoW is fun to play, DI is fun to play. I don't care who came first or who stole what. If gameplay is fun, it's fun. I'd say their art direction was pretty solid and very twisted. That's a plus. If it looks great and plays just like a game everyone loves I can't understand what makes people upset.

If they'd made it look worse, control worse, and broke everything they were stealing for GoW, then there would be cause for dissent and negative comparisons, but considering everyone claims it's an exact clone, that doesn't seem to be the case.

I think Bolivar mentioned probably the greatest example for us all. Final Fantasy was just as shameless a rip off of Dragon Quest, but none of us care today. Both DQ1 and FF1 are good games with good gameplay for the time and have aged relatively well.

I've avoided commenting at all on the story, so I don't quite see why you brought that up here. :p

And as for FF, there are a lot of similarities to DQ int he beggining, but as far as game play goes, there are still many differences one could point out about the gameplay of both. I can't comment about the first DQ as I have not yet played it, but FF differs in many regards from a lot of DQ games. I don't think anyone would argue any FF is an clone of any DQ.

And I do in fact care, as this is giving EA a pass to make games with little to no effort into the game. THat, to me, is unacceptable.

And to Bipper, you know what else trying to do things differently has brought us? Online capablilities, 3D games, Genre Hybrids, the different types of turn based RPGs, an 'Active' default instead of just the 'Wait', fully customizable classes in RPGs, as well as more customization in every other type of game, sand box style games, the list goes on and on.

Now tell me, what has making a replica of a previous game ever accomplished? I garuntee you the list you can come up with is much, much shorter then the list the other side can come up with.

And the Wii has awesome games, don't go dragging your 'I hate new things attitude into this old man. :mad:

Just saying a personal dislike of something is no reason to come out and act as though it's some horrid gaming attrocity. :p

bipper
02-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Neo, none of that is good. Change is bad. :P

Either way, after playing further into the game, I am strongly disappointed. The time trigger rooms are lame as :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

With the different mind numbingly insulting dungeons with triggered timed certain death events Satan is like a really bad Gannon mixed with jigsaw from Saw.

I give the game a 6 out of 10 thus far.

Let down from the first half of the game.

Unbreakable Will
02-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Neo, have you even played the game? And in all honesty given it a chance at all? I understand that you might freakin love GoW, but to completely write off a game that has some of the same qualities of GoW as inferior and a rip-off is seriously close-minded. It's rather presumptious to say that the people at EA aren't trying either, hell, I watched the special features a few times and saw some of the work that went into the artwork and the 3d rendering of it, to put that down is like spitting in their faces imo.

Bolivar
02-24-2010, 08:47 PM
For that matter, implying that a largely single player game focused on providing an adrenaline rush of a single player experience ripped off an objective based multiplayer game with huge maps and a focus on vehicle combat is a laugh and a half.

You don't remember the abysmal tank section in the third campaign?

I guess Medal of Honor, generally, was first but I feel Battlefield really owned the WWII scene back then at least, I guess only exclusively, in multiplayer. Still, it set the bar pretty damn high in the genre and that's why I made this, admittedly bad, example.

Depression Moon
02-25-2010, 01:08 AM
If it could find it for cheap or somehow stumble across it for free, I would definitely give it a try. It doesn't look like it'll beat GoW I played the demo and could already tell that it doesn't, but the game has to be at least a 7.

bipper
02-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I give the game 4/10.

There is not enough hack and slash - at all.

OP: The game sells itself as being Brutal. It is in the look and feel, but the second you get that controller in your hand and make it past gluttony it turns into an annoying timed jump game that lacks good action, until the woods of the suicides.

I would actually suggest renting the game. It is short, you can beat it on a first play through in like ten hours, easy. The story is pretty cool, and the look and feel is awesome. It really does a good job of strongly rooting itself in the imagery of the Inferno.

Combat is fairly lame, even Lucifer is a push over. I played on normal mode, and will give the hardest difficulty a go. The hardest thing for me in this game, was a few of the timed switch rooms, which just took multiple tries to pass.

If the twisted abyss of hell is really as much jumping, timing, and just as unbrutal as Dante's Inferno led me to believe it is, I won't be joining Islam anytime soon. :colbert:

Pheesh
02-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Zero Puntuation - Dante's Inferno (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1472-Dantes-Inferno)

bipper
02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Zero Puntuation - Dante's Inferno (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1472-Dantes-Inferno)

That about summed up a lot of it. I refuse to discredit the game solely on the likeness to GoW - there are plenty of other places to discredit it. But that video doesn't do the good parts justice, as there were quite a few places of the game where it was actually pretty sweet.

Alucard von Elru
03-02-2010, 05:59 PM

This wins. That's pretty much my thoughts on the poor reception Darksiders is getting, too. We can have how many shooters a year that are borderline-identical, but we are damn lucky to get a decent hack-and-slash action game once per year, and even that doesn't really happen! Why are we only supposed to like ONE game in this genre? This isn't effin' Highlander!

On the matter of Dante's Inferno, I think the environments and enemies look awesome, the constant-60fps combat sounds glorious, and it looks just as fun as GoW. The only reason I haven't picked it up yet is because the design of the main character is absolutely pivotal to me in games like this. As much as the game at large appeals to me, I simply haven't gotten over just how dopey Dante looks. :/

NeoCracker
03-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Neo, have you even played the game? And in all honesty given it a chance at all? I understand that you might freakin love GoW, but to completely write off a game that has some of the same qualities of GoW as inferior and a rip-off is seriously close-minded. It's rather presumptious to say that the people at EA aren't trying either, hell, I watched the special features a few times and saw some of the work that went into the artwork and the 3d rendering of it, to put that down is like spitting in their faces imo.

As I mentioned earlier yes. I even played the game to it's completion, right down to the fight with Lucifer.

And all of my comments about lack of effort were pointed directly at the gameplay.

And again, it's not that they ripped some of GoW off, but ALL of it.

Yeargdribble
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
God Of War III Video Game, Review HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-god-of-war/62753)

Hilarious. The entire review criticizes the game essentially for being more of the same, but with prettier graphics. Not enough use of Titans. Problematic fixed cameras. Basic puzzles.

All of these things are what cratered the review of Dante's Inferno. But look, our beloved GoW did it, so it's gonna get a significantly higher score for all of the same things.