PDA

View Full Version : Hard boiled eggs

Robostar
02-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey guys,

Im trying to make a good hard boiled egg. I keep on over cooking them and the yolk turns a bit green on the outside. Is that safe to eat?

Madame Adequate
02-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I do not like green eggs and ham.

Edit: To be serious that can happen sometimes and isn't a sign of anything wrong in my experience. HOWEVER! Double-check this with more than my saying "Yeah I guess it'll be fine, probably" before you eat it and die of salmonella or something.

Robostar
02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
How long do u boil them? and yeah I'm gonna do more research lol.

Inferno
02-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Once the water starts boiling, put the eggs in for max 12 minutes.

Madame Adequate
02-18-2010, 04:13 PM
The extent of my cooking skill and exactitude means I can only answer you by saying "Some minutes" I'm afraid.

Rantz
02-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I boil eggs for 7½ minutes. Slightly longer if they're really large eggs, slightly shorter if they're really small.

The yolk turning a little green isn't a problem in itself, although at that point they're too hard for my taste. But yeah, it's not harmful.

Rye
02-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I've never had a hard-boiled egg where the yolk inside wasn't a slight mossy-green. =O

Raistlin
02-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Edit: To be serious that can happen sometimes and isn't a sign of anything wrong in my experience. HOWEVER! Double-check this with more than my saying "Yeah I guess it'll be fine, probably" before you eat it and die of salmonella or something.

I can't see how over-cooking something could really hurt in most instances, outside of affecting taste.

Robostar
02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Well guys I boiled my egg for about 11 mins and it turned out great! alittle bit green but very yummy. :] Thnx for the tips!

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-18-2010, 07:08 PM
If the you have green-grey on the yolk that means you over cooked them. In no way are they bad, just overcooked.

If you simply put the egg in the water, then turn on the heat, it takes about 12 minutes, if you add the boiling water, listen to Rantz, it is 7 minutes. Also, if you want soft-boiled eggs it is less time.

For the most part, it is about the same whether you are using an electric range or a gas one.

Add a little vinegar (and salt if you want) to the water, it helps the shell peel off later.

Shlup
02-18-2010, 07:50 PM
I think that most people eat their hard boiled eggs with a slightly green yolk. To me that just means "done," not over done.

Protip: Rotten eggs float, so as long as the eggs sink there's nothing to worry about!

Protip 2: Putting eggs in the water after it's already boiling can cause them to crack; I put my eggs in before the water gets hot.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-18-2010, 08:28 PM
I think that most people eat their hard boiled eggs with a slightly green yolk. To me that just means "done," not over done.

We used to serve the eggs like that on the salads at work, then the chef at the time told us we were overcooking them. Plus a nice bright yellow is way more aesthetically pleasing~

qwertysaur
02-19-2010, 12:18 AM
My sisters friend made them explode once. It was not a pretty sight :p

Strawberry_Mew
02-19-2010, 12:55 AM
I like them lol everyonce and a while I will want them along with my fiancee

black orb
02-19-2010, 08:05 PM
>>> Probably the cheapest source of protein..:luca:

Mirage
02-19-2010, 09:55 PM
12 minutes sounds like way too long :p. I boil my eggs for 7 minutes or so. Also cool them down fast after you're done boiling them, because the heat inside them is enough to make them keep "boiling" even after you've taken them out of the water, and that can lead to the green stuff.

Xaven
02-19-2010, 10:41 PM
I cook mine in my microwave! The stove is wayyyyy to far from my room.

I'll throw 3 eggs in a ceramic bowl and fill with enough water to cover them, them microwave for 20 minutes on half power. They come out fairly soft this way, but I loooove them soft!

Microwaves are the way of the future, guys. D:

My sisters friend made them explode once. It was not a pretty sight:p
I 'sploded the first egg I tried microwaving. A 4 minute lesson why not to use full power! :D But, the room smelled sooooo good afterward! Ohh, I love eggy smell~ :love:

Mirage
02-20-2010, 03:45 AM
"half power" on a microwave oven is kinda... fuzzy :p, because many microwaves have a higher max power output than others ;)

Xaven
02-20-2010, 08:21 AM
"half power" on a microwave oven is kinda... fuzzy :p, because many microwaves have a higher max power output than others ;)
Half of 700 then! :D Making some eggies right now~!

Edit: 40% is way better than 50! :D

Mirage
02-20-2010, 10:01 AM
I think my microwave oven is like 1000 watts, but i prefer to boil them the regular way anyway, plus i've got an item i can put into the water that will visually indicate how well boiled my eggs are.