PDA

View Full Version : Warriors from a Foreign Land...

Wolf Kanno
02-19-2010, 07:26 PM
So I'm doing a new playthrough of FFTactics for he PSP and have hit a wonderful point in the game for me. I can now use Samurai, well the class has been unlocked since Chapter 1 but I finally reached a place that actually sells their swords so I can finally use the class now in Chapter 2. I know most don't care about this class but they are one of my fave job classes in the series. I always get a bit more cheerful as I am able to use the class (now I just need the Ninja exclusive weapons to show up) and I'm looking forward to my Time Mage to master his class so I can move him onto Mystic/Oracle class as its one of my other favorite underappreciated classes.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to discuss the little milestones in the game that make you so happy, whether its story related, gaining a specialty character, or unlocking a job class. What little milestones in the game make you feel happy?

RedPouch
02-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Getting Cloud, because I thought it was really cool and exciting. Of course, the mirth I got from that was quickly downed as soon as I realized that Cloud was useless trash in that game.

14 turns for Cherry Blossom to work? Really?

Also, I was pleasantly surprised when I realized that Ramza somehow acquired the spell Ultima. It wasn't very powerful if I recall, though.

Man, talking about this makes me really miss playing the game. I remember how much I used to love Ramza. He was definitely one of my favourite video game protagonists.

Raistlin
02-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Ninjas were my favorite physical class to level up to, and Ramza is a ninja for a good portion of most of my games, though it is a milestone largely for a skill being unlocked (Two Swords). My first couple of playthroughs I really liked Samurai, but I've since grown away from them a bit. I never really cared for Oracles much.

Finally getting to Bard for Move +3 is a significant milestone as well. Stupid women and their lack of movement ability.

Oh, wait, I forgot my favorite milestone: Kicking Algus's ass. Yeah, it happens early on, but it's very satisfying.

ANGRYWOLF
02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
plus getting teleportation...:D

I've never played the PSP version.I prefer the original version.Just my preference though over what I've read about the PSP version.

:D

RedPouch
02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Kicking Algus's ass. Yeah, it happens early on, but it's very satisfying.
Are you talking about that idiot that starts off as your friend at the beginning then betrays you? I really fucking hated that guy.

Iceglow
02-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Kicking Algus's ass. Yeah, it happens early on, but it's very satisfying.
Are you talking about that idiot that starts off as your friend at the beginning then betrays you? I really smurfing hated that guy.

He's talking about the guy who you meet during the first couple of missions who you help to save his lord, He is a noble born and pretty much treats Delita as crap all the time and bitches about Ramza treating Delita as an equal. When Delita's sister is taken captive on orders from Dycedaerg or in connection with Dycedarerg's orders he shoots Delita's sister to prove that taking hostages will not work. You end up kicking his ass for this.

Vermachtnis
02-19-2010, 11:37 PM
I like the Oracle classes too. I also like the Dancer too. They're my favorite two classes to unlock. Also when I got Ramza Dual Wielding Barehanded and he just destroyed everything.

RedPouch
02-20-2010, 12:01 AM
He's talking about the guy who you meet during the first couple of missions who you help to save his lord, He is a noble born and pretty much treats Delita as crap all the time and bitches about Ramza treating Delita as an equal. When Delita's sister is taken captive on orders from Dycedaerg or in connection with Dycedarerg's orders he shoots Delita's sister to prove that taking hostages will not work. You end up kicking his ass for this.
That's the person who I was referring to.

Raistlin
02-20-2010, 03:08 AM
Khalin: yeah, that's him. Off the top of my head, I can't recall another video game character that made me hate him so effectively.

VeloZer0
02-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Getting Cloud, because I thought it was really cool and exciting. Of course, the mirth I got from that was quickly downed as soon as I realized that Cloud was useless trash in that game.

14 turns for Cherry Blossom to work? Really?
All his damage limit breaks blow, but Short Charge + Finishing Touch is incredibly good. A guaranteed one hit KO or at a minimum Stop is very valuable when fighting enemies that have a lot of HP. Like Beowolf he is one of those characters that excel when fighting enemies significantly stronger than you are.

One of my big milestones is when everyone learns Move +1, Accumulate and Gained JP UP. After that I can start moving them in to other classes, it is like the real start of the game for me. Another big one is when I am comfortable enough with my party to start cycling people in as Thieves and getting everyone set up with Move +2.

I love Lancers, Dragoons are my favorite staple of the FF series. As such, being able to buy lances is a biggie for me.

Obviously the start of Chapter 4 so you can start the side quests.

When you can buy the Twist Headband (+2 PA) and Power Sleeve[spelling mistake?] (+2 PA). I usualy wear these even at the end of the game.

Xaven
02-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Teleport > All, you guys! Every game has people shifting in and out of Time Mage to learn teleport. Once everyone can transcend space, we are set to conquer the world! How can you all be patient enough not to warp through walls and up cliffs? And 8 spaces away from a boss in an emergency?

Gain JP Up too is delightful as well, and everyone does use it, but I don't think I leave it on forever and I'm sure you don't either, VelowZero. Even so, everything comes soon enough even without it. It's a nice cure for impatience though. :D

VeloZer0
02-20-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm OCD about learning new skills, so I have Gained JP UP equipped 100% of the time that I'm not in Deep Dungeon or characters are in a class they have mastered. Which is one of the reasons I don't think it was a good addition to the game, as not having that ability slot to play with does make character set ups less fun.

I'm not huge about Teleport, I generally prefer Move + skills. I find to have Teleport be reliable enough you need a character with a high enough move to begin with, which means equipping a 1+ Move Accessory.
If you have a character with a move of 4, I find having a Move of 7 and a Bracer or something equipped is better than a move of ~5 and the ability to bypass all obstacles.

Obviously in very hilly or crowded terrain Teleport will win hands down, but I find in generally having the extra Move is more useful. This is also because I don't really like to gamble, so I usually only teleport into squares with 100% chance of success. I prefer to have everything going according to plan, instead of banking on something that may or may not happen. I also find that in emergencies teleporting at long range can really help you out, but failing a teleport can hurt you even worse.

Not to say I never use it, it and Move +2/3 are by far the most powerful move abilities in the game. I just find it to be more situational than straight up Move boosts.

And 8 spaces away from a boss in an emergency?
My Ninja with Move+3 and Germinas Boots moves 8 squares every turn :)

Raistlin
02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Teleport is much more about aesthetics and getting into the game than about practical usefulness. I pretty much always have a Black Wizard/Time Mage combo character, and he will have Teleport for most of the game. One of my fondest memories of FFT is Teleporting literally across the entire map to blow up a bunch of baddies to finish a fight. It is the only time a Teleport that far has actually worked for me, and it was awesome.

Kyros
02-25-2010, 06:32 PM
In the psp version I liked getting Luso (A BETTER RAMZA WTF) and Balthier (I don't use him but he's still cool). I also consider it a 'favorite milestone' every time I enter battle and dont see 10384210 red/black chocobos staring back at me.

VeloZer0
02-26-2010, 12:44 AM
I also consider it a 'favorite milestone' every time I enter battle and dont see 10384210 red/black chocobos staring back at me.
I consider it a milestone when I enter a battle with a whole chunk of red and black chocobos and my party is finally strong enough to clean house with them.

BG-57
03-13-2010, 04:14 PM
Some milestones for me:

Killing Algus was satisfying.

Getting Thunder God Cid in the party. It's like C. Everett Koop that has come to kill you.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/C_Everett_Koop.jpg/475px-C_Everett_Koop.jpg

Getting all the Nelveska rare treasures and recruiting a Hyudra and keeping Worker 7 alive at the same time.

Breeding my first Tiamat; they're my favorite monsters in the game.

Learning Zodiac.

Teaching Zodiac to my entire party, by lowering enemy humans' faith, hitting them with Zodiac, then picking up the crystals.

Finishing off the Proposition list including all rare treasures and undiscovered lands. I played the game through once to work it all out.

And finally: getting at least one of every item. My completionist impulses were finally rewarded. I've never been able to complete any other game in this way (although I've come closer).

Bolivar
03-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Every new round of job classes is always really exciting for me. I personally love Oracles because the staff/polearms they use make them really powerful fighters if you wish, and the spells can be devastating if used right, with some luck (I usually just use it as secondary magic, though).

Of course Ninjas are always a big point. I like to make one where he can go first, traverse the entire map, kill an enemy on that first turn, counter and kill any enemies around him, take out another by the time his turn comes around again, then come back to my team who are already in formation in good positions.

Storywise I always love getting to the different chapters. Everything just seems so different every time, things just get deeper in the story and battle system as it happens.

White Knight
03-15-2010, 01:43 AM
I would have to say learning "Shock!" with Beowulf and send him in a masoquist way to enemies and get him with low HP and then... SHOCK them, getting our friend T.G. Cid (the only character I think is equal to Chuck Norris or Highlander:p) is also very good!
I was forgetting something... the Chaos Blade!!

I didn´t like Algus either, I also loved cleaning the floors of Igros Castle with Dycedarg´s face :D and that hand to hand combat with Wiegraf