PDA

View Full Version : Monster Hunter 3 Tri~!

KentaRawr!
02-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game. Mainly, it's because I really enjoy online RPGs. The social aspect is great. I haven't played any Monster Hunter games so far (mainly because when the PS2 games were coming out I was too busy with PSO), so Monster Hunter 3 Tri will be my first. From what I understand, Monster Hunter is more skill-based than PSO, so I really like that. I'll miss the (Fight through area, get to town, sell spare items, shop for new items, bank spare money, repeat.)that applies to so many RPGs, but I think the other aspects of the game are more important to me. :p I think I'll miss the neat costumes I could wear in PSO significantly more than that, actually.

Anyway, about this third game in the main series. If there's one thing I notice looking at videos of the older games in comparison to this new one, it's that Monster Hunter 3 Tri is really, really, really shiny. I'm not sure if I like this shininess yet. Of course, the other new things are an alternate control scheme, fighting underwater, and according to recent interviews, the story mode is apparently more rewarding than in earlier installments in the series, and is less of a large tutorial. [Click for Youtube Interview!] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUxWthcMFIw)

Personally, I'm not interested in the new control scheme, as I already have the Classic Controller that I can use with it. However, while allowing the game to playable with a Classic Controller, it definitely is the best way to include motion controls. I still won't be using that option, though. Especially with the Classic Controller Pro coming out. :p

So, are you guys looking forward to Monster Hunter 3 Tri? :confused:

Edit: This game also has birthed what is possibly the most ear pleasing Bonk video. Heavy's screaming really compliments what was originally a pretty quiet part of the song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYTCU0dxr-Y).

Shoeberto
02-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm also interested in it because of its PSO similarities. I used to love PSO but never really found a game that captured its essence quite as well. This looks like it'll be a pretty solid successor. Never played the other games in the series, though.

ljkkjlcm9
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
After Final Fantasy 13, this is the next game I am playing!

THE JACKEL

Rostum
02-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Well, I certainly have been interested in Monster Hunter games, but have never played. Maybe I'll try this one out!

JKTrix
02-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Comparing it to PSO is fair I guess, but if you never played a Monster Hunter game you might be in for a bit of a rude awakening.

The controls do take some time to get used to. They're not at all intuitive. There's no lock on or anything like that, and most of the weapons you use will be far too slow if you're used to any kind of action game.

But that's where the challenge is. A lot of people don't get past that. Those that do are the ones that will really dig it. It is of course tons more fun to play with other people.

(All comments related to personal experience with Monster Hunter Freedom series)

KentaRawr!
02-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Comparing it to PSO is fair I guess, but if you never played a Monster Hunter game you might be in for a bit of a rude awakening.

The controls do take some time to get used to. They're not at all intuitive. There's no lock on or anything like that, and most of the weapons you use will be far too slow if you're used to any kind of action game.

But that's where the challenge is. A lot of people don't get past that. Those that do are the ones that will really dig it. It is of course tons more fun to play with other people.

(All comments related to personal experience with Monster Hunter Freedom series)

That's what I've heard. From what I understand, Monster Hunter is a lot more skill-based than stat-based like PSO is. I won't mind not having lock-on. Really, what I look forward to the most is the social aspect. Though, about weapon speed, isn't the Sword-Shield set-up pretty fast?

Rostum
02-23-2010, 10:51 PM

Eh, I play FFXI - I'm used to very slow combat, lol.

JKTrix
02-23-2010, 11:57 PM
FFXI is very different. That is strictly a turn based, stat-based RPG. You click 'attack' and your character will automatically swing their weapon at it by default without any further input from you, and your distance from your target doesn't even matter whether or not you hit.

Monster Hunter is an action game.

The sword and shield is indeed faster than most other weapons. That and the Dual Swords attack the fastest, but even with those weapons there is a certain commitment to the attack once you start it. It's not easy/possible to change the direction of your attack once you start swinging (as slightly more intelligent enemies will have ways of dodging). Even though most weapons allow you to dodge roll out of their animation, that's designed to keep you alive rather than lining up damage.

All of the enemies have patterns to them, so once you learn that it makes it easier for you to predict where you should be to either make an attack or avoid one. It's not at all hard, but it definitely takes some patience at the start.

The first time you smack a Giaprey out of its mid-air pounce because you timed it just right will be awesome.

Rostum
02-24-2010, 12:21 AM
I was just refering to the slow aspect of combat.

FFXI is very different. That is strictly a turn based, stat-based RPG. You click 'attack' and your character will automatically swing their weapon at it by default without any further input from you, and your distance from your target doesn't even matter whether or not you hit.

Actually, the Ranger class's distance from the mob determines quite a lot about the attack's accuracy and power. There's some other cases as well. But I wasn't coming in here to try and compare two totally different games.

KentaRawr!
02-24-2010, 01:57 AM
Are Dual Swords in Tri? I heard they don't appear in this one.

JKTrix
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
There's a Nintendo event going on right now (about to finish, and I'm in class so I can't go into much detail), but they're talking about MH3 right now. Gamestop is going to have a demo disc available on march 8th. Free Online for North America confirmed (you did have to pay in Japan).

I don't know about Dual Swords.

Zeromus_X
02-25-2010, 12:21 PM
I heard they got rid of the Hunting Horn, which makes me sad since I always liked to just hang out on the sidelines and play songs to buff up my teammates.

I wonder if this game will have local multiplayer; MH was only really appealing to me when I could play it with a group of real-life friends.

JKTrix
02-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Tri does have 2-player split screen co-op, which I honestly wasn't expecting. So there's one for ya.

If you preorder it at Gamestop they'll also apparently give you a 500 Nintendo Points card to use for either the Wii or DSi shop. They only specified that as the preorder bonus, so maybe they're just going to be giving out the demo discs for 'nothing'.

Nintendo talked about a whole bunch of other stuff too. Monster Hunter is the start of a stretch of high profile Wii games. Monster Hunter Tri, Mario Galaxy 2, Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and Metroid Other M are all coming out between April and June.

KentaRawr!
02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
This really is an awesome year for Nintendo.

By the way, the split-screen co-op is only for Arena mode. A friend of mine happened to have an imported copy, so we played that all day yesterday. :p

ljkkjlcm9
02-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Big year for nintendo.... big year for gaming.
I was just sad no more info about Golden Sun DS...

Already pre-ordered this game... seems to me like the exact type of game that's up my ally. Free online made it a definite buy. I'm highly enjoying my free online White Knight Chronicles on PS3, so I'm sure I'll love it with this game as well.

THE JACKEL