PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform servers!

nirojan
02-21-2010, 05:33 AM
I have a question regarding the multiplatform server they were talking about for this game. In my understanding, PS3 users will be able to play with PC users right? so does that mean if i have a PS3 account that i can jump onto my PC account and continue where i left off? I mean if i play FFXIV on PS3 @ home, can i play the same game from the same spot i left off on my laptop when i go to school?

Another thing that's bothering me is....wont PC gamers have an edge on PS3 users. I mean c'mon, the point-and-click interface for MMO's is a lot more user friendly than the spin ur right-analog stick way, right? How willl they balance that out when they eventually see that PC gamers are advancing faster than the PS3 counterpart?

Now i havnt played FFXI in a LONG time so i forget how the interface worked, but will the subscription be the same for PC and PS3?

Del Murder
02-21-2010, 06:21 AM
They were the same in FFXI so I don't see this being any different. You should only need one account.

Mirage
02-21-2010, 09:21 AM
In FFXI, they gimped the user interface for the PC users massively, to the point where some people prefer to hook a controller up to their PCs.

Regardless, third party apps, and various other things, make it more beneficial to play on the PC today, and yet lots of people play on 360 and PS2.

Hopefully they will make two different user interfaces for the two platforms, UIs that are optimized for the input methods of them

Yeargdribble
02-21-2010, 09:48 AM
People would argue all time about controller vs. keyboard in FFXI. For running around a controller was fine, but at the end of the day, nobody could possibly control their macros as quickly with a controller as one could with a keyboard. And god... the list pickers who claim they are on par with equip-swap macros users.

It might be interesting since they seem to actually be using the mouse for the interface this time and maybe it will make a huger impact on how much better the PC interface is. Now that you mention it, I really do wonder if it will be a problem. You can always hook up a keyboard to your PS2 for FFXI, but for PS3 there have been almost no games with mouse support. Hopefully they would add it to level things out.

If so I foresee some angry debates about controls in the endgame scene where people claim to be competent with the weaker of the control schemes. I hope all of the WoW keyboard turner types stay the fack out. I don't wanna deal with it. /elitism

Ouch!
02-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Equip-swap macros? It's all about spellcast man.

Yeargdribble
02-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Back when I was hardcore in endgame, such a thing didn't yet exist. Before using extended windower macros I would sometimes literally have to hit 3 macros just for a gear swap to take an action.

Ouch!
02-22-2010, 09:31 PM
The dark ages were, indeed, dark.

nirojan
02-23-2010, 06:08 PM
now on the PS3, usually games log into PSN and then to their respective servers, will it be the same this time or is SE going to introduce something a bit different to be more like the PC login?

Have any of you played White Knight Chronicles? When going online in that game your friends list is completely independent of the PSN friends list(meaning you have to add them again), will it be similar for FFXIV?

Ouch!
02-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I think that since the servers are multiplatform that it will operate independently of PSN and XBL. Your character is linked to a server, so it's entirely likely that you'll just sign in to the character and automatically go to that server. Friends list will probably also operate independently from your XBL or PSN friends list.

Mirage
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I also think it's very safe to say that the servers will be independent of your choice of platform. There's no way for MS or Sony to prevent a game from connecting to a certain IP anyway.

Well, there is a way, but it's unlikely that any of them do such a thing.