PDA

View Full Version : It's like someone making love to your ears with a sandwich toaster...

Baloki
02-21-2010, 06:40 PM
It's painful, but somehow I'm ok with it :S I am of course talking about Leona Lewis' moving rendition of Airith's theme for the upcoming FFXIII.

What do you guys and gals think of it :D?

Psychotic
02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
It's like everything the woman does: Meh.

However, I've got to ask: How and why is it that you know what it is like to have someone make love to your ears with a sandwich toaster?

Baloki
02-21-2010, 07:08 PM

However, I've got to ask: How and why is it that you know what it is like to have someone make love to your ears with a sandwich toaster?

Things that happen in Birmingham, stay in Birmingham.

Raistlin
02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
You saying you'd be "ok" with that takes kink to a whole new level.

Beyond that, I agree with Psychotic that the song is very "meh."

Captain Maxx Power
02-21-2010, 10:14 PM
It is genuinely bizarre to me even some months after hearing the announcement that she is now officially involved in one of my favourite series of computer games ever. Seriously, that's an actual fact now; Leona Lewis sang a song for Final Fantasy. I mean it's just...weird!

cloud21zidane16
02-21-2010, 11:49 PM

Totally agree, no matter what she does I just never find anything by her incredible:roll2

Rantz
02-22-2010, 12:10 AM
I think it's a good song. Nothing revolutionary to be sure, but I like it. I just hope it's tastefully used in the game!

Rye
02-22-2010, 12:56 AM
I mean, it's a good song, and I like Leona Lewis, it just seems... unusual for a Final Fantasy game. Let's see how it goes!

Shiny
02-22-2010, 01:14 AM
The song does not fit the game at all. I also dislike how she is straining her voice in the beginning to make it sound like an alto when it doesn't suit her.

Rye
02-22-2010, 01:32 AM
The song does not fit the game at all. I also dislike how she is straining her voice in the beginning to make it sound like an alto when it doesn't suit her.

Yeah. I disliked the song until she went into the chorus of the song and went back into her normal voice. I really enjoyed it quite a bit into it though.

The more I think about it, I like that this is the song being used, because it freaks out the people who prefer the Japan version of anything and everything to anything Western because it's not 日本語, which means it's flavored and tempered with inferior brash Western culture!!!! As much of a wapanese as I can be, that attitude always bugs me, so this is going to be funny, since I found the Japanese main theme to be pretty, but it's completely lacklustre.

Madame Adequate
02-22-2010, 01:44 AM
The song isn't bad, I'm just not a fan of FF games involving some romance song like this. The only good one was Eyes on Me.

I prefer things to be in their original language, but that's less because I'm a wapanese and more because my childhood demonstrated that the alternative is almost without exception Star Ocean 4 :greenie:

Subs4lief :hux:

Rye
02-22-2010, 01:47 AM
Oh god, Star Ocean 4! You're so enjoyable, but your voice acting makes me unable to finish you. ;_;

Don't get me wrong, you know 9/10 times I'll generally go for the Japanese voice acting with subs, but that doesn't make everything Japanese inherently better than Western, which is that attitude that kills me. And it's not even that the Japanese has inherently better voice acting; it's that their culture is inherently better than corrupt westerner culture, which leads to better voice acting and song versions. That's the kind of weeaboo stuff that drives me nuts. XD

Madame Adequate
02-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Hahaha well yeah blatantly true, I'm sure most Japanese VA is crap, but I have absolutely no idea what Japanese is supposed to sound like so I can't judge whether it's any good or not when it's in moon runes.

Alternative answer: Of course Japan is superior, it was their gentle nature and Buddhist (The only GOOD religion, no Buddhist has EVER committed a murder) nature that lost them the war. Japanese culture has a subtlety about it which is not found in the West and is, as a whole, incredibly moving. It's heartbreaking to see what the West has done to Japan.

... NANI?!

Raistlin
02-22-2010, 03:03 AM
I prefer things to be in their original language, but that's less because I'm a wapanese and more because my childhood demonstrated that the alternative is almost without exception Star Ocean 4 :greenie:

Subs4lief :hux:

Lunar SSSC's voice acting is excellent.

Rad Bromance
02-22-2010, 04:16 AM
I love it, though I'm questionable of how well it will fit into the game! :D

I like it far better than Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life, Suteki Da Ne, Kiss Me Goodbye, Real Emotion, 1000 Words, and WAY better than the Japanese song for the game.

Well okay, maybe not Melodies of Life, but definitely the rest of them. :)

Moon Rabbits
02-22-2010, 04:31 AM
If by "moving rendition of Aerith's Theme" you mean "My Hands from her album Echoes", I have to say I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE that song. I'm a Leona Lewis fan, though, so maybe I am biased.

If you are not talking about My Hands, link me to what you are talking about because I can't find Leona Lewis + Aerith's Theme anywhere on youtube or google.

I'm in the "it doesn't quite fit" boat, too, but I think the Japanese pop ballads don't fit either. I mean, other than Eyes on Me, none of the Japanese songs had anything to do with anything going on either; they were just all "oooooo love and stufffffff~"

My Hands is still a ballin' song though, I lurv her.

Laddy
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Leona Lewis is certainly great, but leave Final Fantasy music to Miss Kate Covington.

Chloe.
02-22-2010, 04:02 PM
I agree with everything that Moon Rabbits said. I love the song, not sure if it fits though. :p

Lightening
02-22-2010, 06:44 PM
The song is nothing special, but I don't think they're going to play it on repeat through the entire game anyway.

Imperfectionist
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Hmmmm I dunno... I like Leona although I think this is just an okay song.

However, I really don't think it's going to fit well into the game without making it kinda cheesy...

Rad Bromance
02-24-2010, 12:43 AM
However, I really don't think it's going to fit well into the game without making it kinda cheesy...
You mean just like every other FF vocal theme? :p

VeloZer0
02-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Yes

crazybayman
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes

Seconded.

Next thing you know we'll be having Mariah Carey and Celine Dion doing FF themes when they become even more washed up.

It just doesn't fit. And that's before saying how awful that genre of music is, to begin with.

The one voiced song that I can honestly say I like is "Otherworld", in FFX. *raises hand with devil ears*

Rad Bromance
02-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Yes

Seconded.

Next thing you know we'll be having Mariah Carey and Celine Dion doing FF themes when they become even more washed up.

It just doesn't fit. And that's before saying how awful that genre of music is, to begin with.

The one voiced song that I can honestly say I like is "Otherworld", in FFX. *raises hand with devil ears*
Really? I freaking hope you're right. I love Celine Dion and Mariah Carey. :p

Dark_Valentine
02-25-2010, 03:20 AM
I was a little disappointed w/ their song choice...I think they could've done much better...

Shlup
02-25-2010, 04:05 AM
I'm not really a pop fan in general. It's a cute song though. I like, uhm, the chorus or whatever.

The more I think about it, I like that this is the song being used, because it freaks out the people who prefer the Japan version of anything and everything to anything Western because it's not 日本語, which means it's flavored and tempered with inferior brash Western culture!!!! As much of a wapanese as I can be, that attitude always bugs me, so this is going to be funny, since I found the Japanese main theme to be pretty, but it's completely lacklustre. [/SIZE]

*hi5* English dubs usually suck long and hard but the attitude you've described is annoying.

Rostum
02-26-2010, 10:23 AM
I "obtained" the whole soundtrack not long ago, and overall I'm not really that impressed. No melody really stands out to me; it's kind of... boring.

:|

Shlup
02-28-2010, 12:17 AM
That's 'cause you gotta hear it in the moment!

Breine
02-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Leona Lewis is a very talented singer and all.. it's all just a bit boring. However, if it's used right in the game, it'll probably turn out fine.

Also, "Eyes on Me" and "Melodies of Life" are the best are the best FF theme songs out there.

Silvercry
03-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I think its was a great idea to pick a song for the western release in a language most westerners will understand. My problem is this song is so phenomenally average. It sounds like every other 'me too' R&B/Pop song out there right now, and Leona Lewis is trying too hard to sound like 90's era Toni Braxton, and neither woman's talent can hold candle to pre-crack Whitney Houston. Its like if they had replaced Kimi no Kioku in Persona 3 with Love Story by Taylor Swift. Middling song by middling artist. They are better singers and better songs.

Had to have been a money issue. Lewis must come cheap, like most 'talent' show winners.