PDA

View Full Version : :confused:

Goldenboko
02-22-2010, 09:06 PM
If I don't already know a user, a person posting with an avatar of the opposite gender confuses me until I look at his or her profile. Am I the only one? Avatars are like your face to me, so having a hawt chick and then posting about your penis length makes me double check. Like. 'Wait, what?'

Topic: Using avatars of the opposite sex, confusing? Yay? Or Nay?

PuPu
02-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Not really. I just think, "maybe that's a pic of his girlfriend or her boyfriend."

Goldenboko
02-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Not really. I just think, "maybe that's a pic of his girlfriend or her boyfriend."

It's not being a specific person that confuses me, but when I see "Anime Chick Avatar" chick registers in my brain if I know nothing about the person. Non-gender related things seems to not matter though :monster:

demondude
02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Yay. I always imagine the user looking like the avatar, so for instance if somebody said "Goldenboko" I would think of that small bird with red boobies. Psychotic is a pig/baby, Rubah is Edward Cullen, and so forth. You are all just images to me.

PuPu
02-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Oh, in that case I think "maybe this guy just really likes this girl from that anime."

example: Ultima Shadow

Goldenboko
02-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Yay. I always imagine the user looking like the avatar, so for instance if somebody said "Goldenboko" I would think of that small bird with red boobies. Psychotic is a pig/baby, Rubah is Edward Cullen, and so forth. You are all just images to me.

This dude knows where its at. :cool:

Breine
02-22-2010, 09:32 PM
I think I now know the gender of the majority of the top posters around here, but yes.. I have been fooled in the past by avatars.

Bunny
02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
I determine gender by the way a person writes. Men and women, to me, have a distinct way of expressing things via words and it makes it incredibly easy for me to tell whether or not they are a girl or a guy. Sometimes I am wrong, but for the most part it works.

Avatars for me are a way of simply telling two people apart without looking at the name. Momiji and Loony BoB currently piss me off.

PuPu
02-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Not all sites have posts that include avatars. So my mental image of what people on a site look like mostly are based on their username and the way they post.

Goldenboko
02-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I determine gender by the way a person writes. Men and women, to me, have a distinct way of expressing things via words and it makes it incredibly easy for me to tell whether or not they are a girl or a guy. Sometimes I am wrong, but for the most part it works.

Avatars for me are a way of simply telling two people apart without looking at the name. Momiji and Loony BoB currently piss me off.

Person who also knows where it's at. Momiji's Bawb set was making me want to stab him repeatedly. :)

Meat Puppet
02-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Anime Chick Avatar nearly always denotes male.

Psychotic
02-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Step One: Get anime chick avatar.
Step Two: Convince Goldenboko to go out with me because I am a female.
Step Three: Our spawn shall inherit this Earth.

Breine
02-22-2010, 09:49 PM

Qft.

Goldenboko
02-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Step Four: ????
Step Five: Profit

Psychotic
02-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Step Six: Facepalm 9001 times because you lost moar of the game!

demondude
02-22-2010, 10:00 PM

Get rid of those question marks, because you are not fooling me. I always knew you would prostitute your children. :mad2:

Momiji
02-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Funny you should say that, since I changed back to my normal stuff yesterday.

I don't really pay attention to what gender someone is online. It doesn't really matter to me.

Goldenboko
02-22-2010, 10:12 PM

Get rid of those question marks, because you are not fooling me. I always knew you would prostitute your children. :mad2:

I'm considering it. Especially you :jess:

EDIT: Goldenborko? I never understood that.

Bunny
02-22-2010, 10:17 PM

I don't really pay attention to what gender someone is online. It doesn't really matter to me.

I'm still not over it. :mad2:

Croyles
02-22-2010, 11:41 PM
So im like... a one-eyed monster? :D

I'm still not over it. :mad2:

You are an angry angry bunny and you need to be sedated.. Or put down permanently.

Raistlin
02-23-2010, 01:27 AM
I agree with Bunny; I go by more than just an avatar. Although I enjoy the fact that many people don't, because so many people mistaking krissy for a girl at Neskaya was hilarious.

cloud21zidane16
02-23-2010, 01:33 AM
I normally guess correct most of the time from the way everyone writes. Have been confused with some new members in the past, sometimes with their sig as well as the avatar:whoa:

Bunny
02-23-2010, 01:39 AM
I agree with Bunny; I go by more than just an avatar. Although I enjoy the fact that many people don't, because so many people mistaking krissy for a girl at Neskaya was hilarious.

I thought he was a she for awhile until I figured out that he was a he. Then I was confused.

Bastian
02-23-2010, 01:52 AM
I thought for the longest time that Moon Rabbits was a girl because he used to have a girl as his avatar. Boy was I wrong.

Slothy
02-23-2010, 03:27 AM
I thought for the longest time that Moon Rabbits was a girl because he used to have a girl as his avatar. Boy was I wrong.

You're not the only person who's made that mistake over the years.

I didn't though, but mostly because I just don't tend to assume unless the persons name is blatantly male or female.

rubah
02-23-2010, 04:13 AM
a lot of people have taken me for a guy x_O in media with and without avatars. I don't make any secret about it, either!

NorthernChaosGod
02-23-2010, 06:36 AM
Avatar/sig/username is usually where I look first.

Win

Step Six: Facepalm 9001 times because you lost moar of the game!

Fail :mad2:

Psychotic
02-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Oh hey win and fail I know those, those are internet memes! Can I have a cheeseburger? :D

...oh wait I already made this post. God damnit, EoFF. I thought you'd grown out of this :bou::bou::bou::bou:. :(

Anywho, back on topic, I only associate certain people with their avatars. Del Murder is Sonny. Goldenboko is that surprised chocobo. But I'll never associate Momiji or rubah as being their avatar!

Momiji
02-23-2010, 02:10 PM
It'd be weird enough to associate me with my avatar, since I change those around so much. I'd never be the same person every month or so!

Then again, being some sort of shapeshifting transforming person would be kinda cool :|

Unbreakable Will
02-23-2010, 04:01 PM
I always thought of Quin as his muppet avatar :bigsmile: force him to change it back!!!

demondude
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
Quin is nothing but a 'Q' to me. :(

Rodarian
02-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Avatars to me simply reflect personality....

Like bunny, I usually have a good idea whether or not that user is Homme or Femme