PDA

View Full Version : I saved money~

Jessweeee♪
02-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I bought a dress, a top, and a pair of combat boots for just $30 at a used clothing store. It was my secret life long dream to own a pair of combat boots. It was destiny! I saw them in the window and even though they were two sizes larger than usual (even for boots, yes) I tried them on anyway. They fit perfectly! Although a little bug crawled out of the left one when I took the newspaper out of it. I saw a lot of really nice and cheap clothes, I think I'll do my shopping here from now on!

Topic: Whens the last time you saved a bunch of money :</>D?

Gullick
02-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I got an 8 gig mp4 player for £15.00 on eBay (£20 including P&P) =].

G13
02-22-2010, 11:22 PM
JC Penny is having a massive sale right now. I just bought a $20 pair of pants for $4. :D

Jessweeee♪
02-23-2010, 12:13 AM
JC Penny is having a massive sale right now. I just bought a $20 pair of pants for $4. :D

Hahahaha I bought a pair of jeans for $1 once. We thought it was mismarked because it was surrounded by expensive jeans, but no, they were really a dollar. They felt very awkward and weren't sewn together correctly xD

cloud21zidane16
02-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Im thinking further and further back and still havent come across anything recently:(

TheAbominatrix
02-23-2010, 02:40 AM
Ooooh nice deal on the boots. Are they a particular brand or just combat boots in general? I once found a pair of 12 hole Doc Martens, steel toe, for $25. Just slightly too big, but a little cloth in the toes makes them perfect.

I love finding deals! I was looking for a flop hat forever, when I finally found one it was perfect... and I got a coat, a fab sixties dress, the hat and a pair of earrings for $50! And the coup de grace was that they all matched, and all I needed to finish the outfit was a pair of moccasin boots... which I later found used for $15! Yay me! xD

rubah
02-23-2010, 02:44 AM
I switched to geico?

lol, no, I moved out of the dorms into an apartment. Muchos savings

Moon Rabbits
02-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Man I used to have like 2 or 3 pairs of doc martens. I miss themmmm. Steel toes are awesome for walking down dark alleyways yo.

Shoeberto
02-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Kinda excited about the potential of not having to borrow money to pay tuition next year, though it's still too early to tell for sure if I can swing it.

I am an extremely economic gamer - I buy a lot of stuff on Steam during weekend and holiday sales. Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, GTAIV, Unreal Tournament III, less than $10 each. Ballin' outrageous, son.

Raistlin
02-23-2010, 03:08 AM
I very rarely shop for myself outside of food. When forced to, I usually do so online, which makes finding the cheapest prices very easy.

Jessweeee♪
02-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Ooooh nice deal on the boots. Are they a particular brand or just combat boots in general? I once found a pair of 12 hole Doc Martens, steel toe, for $25. Just slightly too big, but a little cloth in the toes makes them perfect.

The bottom of the boots say Na Na o:

~*~Celes~*~
02-23-2010, 03:19 AM
I'm gonna start saving up so I can go clothes shopping with my friend Laura for spring/summer. I haven't worn a skirt just for the heck of it in such a long time, it's going to be difficult to re-adjust methinks :o However, because I adore dressing up (though I rarely do it), I'm sure it'll be a great experience :D

I also plan to buy me some shirts at Hot Topic and probably more Airwalks from Payless :bigsmile:

Aydin
02-23-2010, 03:34 AM
One time, someone on Ebay was selling a character on FFXI for 99 cents so I bid on it expecting someone else to just outbid me anyways.

... No one ever did!

So I got a character that was level 75 White Mage/37 Black Mage which came in handy when I played in parties so I was able to level up with my main character and heal myself efficiently with a power leveller that I was controlling. The character also came packaged with 9 million gil!!

... All for 99 cents!

Pheesh
02-23-2010, 06:14 AM
I know this guy who I buy drum cymbals from and he sells them ridiculously under the RRP. I also like to buy certain clothes online, mostly because Perth is the worst city to try and find a band T-shirt or sports jerseys.

NorthernChaosGod
02-23-2010, 06:38 AM
I got 5 new t-shirts and one button down for just about $30 a week ago. :cool:

Mo-Nercy
02-23-2010, 11:47 AM
My girlfriend finally bought me a PS3 after months and months of subliminal grooming. xDDD

If that doesn't count, I present to you: K-Swiss Logan Hicks

http://kookies.net/blog/images/uploads/2.shoe_box.jpg

Only 600 pairs produced for sale worldwide with a meagre 40 pairs in Australia. Very exclusive sneakers. Retail was $350 and I managed to get hooked up by a friend of a friend who worked at the only store in Sydney that sold them so they 'only' cost me $270.

Loony BoB
02-23-2010, 12:19 PM
I save money every time I don't buy something. To me, getting something at half price isn't saving that amount of money, it's spending half of the amount you may have otherwise spent (but that's debatable, as would you have paid 'full price' at all?). Now, if you had to get it but pay less than you would have otherwise had to have spent, then that's saving money. But it reminds me of when Danielle would come home with something and go "I saved money! It was buy one get one free!" - but, well, we didn't need one of those things, so really we've just spent money we didn't have to. That's not saving at all...

Sorry, pet peeve. :D

Anyway. The last time I managed to not spend as much as I would have otherwise spent was when I purchased a new TV and TV stand. I 'saved' roughly £100 by buying the stand new from eBay (as opposed to in store) and the TV from an online-only store which had a much lower price than others. I also used discount codes found by searching online to shave off another £12 from the TV. Yay?

Jiro
02-23-2010, 12:50 PM
If that doesn't count, I present to you: K-Swiss Logan Hicks

http://kookies.net/blog/images/uploads/2.shoe_box.jpg

Even the box is fancy. I wouldn't want to wear them, they'd wear out and get dirty :(

Rye
02-23-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't buy books in bookstores anymore, I buy them used for a penny on Amazon, and I pay for the shipping, or I buy them in thrift shops. It's saved me a ton of money. Especially when I sold them back to my University's bookstore after I finished using them (I sold the plays and books I didn't enjoy enough to read again); I ended up breaking even and may have even made a tiny profit, since they bought they back at a 1/3 of the price, which was what I paid for them about. Yusss.

Mo-Nercy
02-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Even the box is fancy. I wouldn't want to wear them, they'd wear out and get dirty :(
I'm not one of those sneakers fanatics that buy a pair and never wear them. True, they're my most expensive and imo best looking pair, and once upon a time, I used to clean them everytime I wore them, but these days I can't be bothered. They are starting to yellow a little and there's some blue rubbing off on the sides because of all the jeans I wear. :(

I use the box to keep receipts. =]

Chloe.
02-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I save money all the time from the place I work, as I get 50% discount. I know I don't really need a lot of the stuff I buy from there, but I did need a coat and the one that I brought was supposed to be £45 but I got it half price. I also brought a pair of boots that I needed that were supposed to be £50. :D I don't really buy clothes from other shops anymore as it all just seems so expensive compared to what I can get things for.

Raistlin
02-23-2010, 04:03 PM
I save money every time I don't buy something. To me, getting something at half price isn't saving that amount of money, it's spending half of the amount you may have otherwise spent (but that's debatable, as would you have paid 'full price' at all?). Now, if you had to get it but pay less than you would have otherwise had to have spent, then that's saving money. But it reminds me of when Danielle would come home with something and go "I saved money! It was buy one get one free!" - but, well, we didn't need one of those things, so really we've just spent money we didn't have to. That's not saving at all...

Very, very true, and I can't stand that sort of "saving" logic either.

Unbreakable Will
02-23-2010, 04:25 PM
I was gonna buy Left4Dead2 used at a GameStop, it was $54.50 used and $65 new at the time, but the very nice cashier told me there was a price drop the next day and there was going to be a new one for $39. xD

Rodarian
02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
There is one place here called Brands4less..I've bought some sweet threads at quarter of the actual cost of a branded item.. And yes they are legit clothing and not knock offs

There is a slight catch to it but trust me the money is well worth spending if you need some retail therapy while on a budget...

Breine
02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Second-hand shopping yay! :hat:

Anyway, I bought a really nice shirt for my brother's birthday present, and it was like 50% off. He really liked it, so it was quite the bargain.

NorthernChaosGod
02-24-2010, 07:33 AM

Agreed.

Pheesh
02-24-2010, 04:07 PM

Agreed.

But...how do you know your own self worth and value among society if don't have stuff!? Lots and lots of STUFF!!

Loony BoB
02-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Stuff, money, same general end result.

NorthernChaosGod
02-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Agreed.

But...how do you know your own self worth and value among society if don't have stuff!? Lots and lots of STUFF!!
By being smarter than everyone else.

Shlup
02-24-2010, 10:29 PM
I use my sister-in-law's 40% discount to get clothes from her store... which pretty much makes them normal priced, since I would never buy something for full price at that store.

BJ and I recently bought tickets to Tokyo for $754.60 each, when our budget was $1000 each. Still expensive and it's not like the budget was based on anything other than a vague notion, but exciting nonetheless. BJ used $300 of that "savings" to buy a netbook. xP