PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DSi for teenage girl?

Rostum
02-24-2010, 02:51 AM
So my girlfriend's sister got a DSi for her birthday, and we were going to buy a few games for her. She is 15-years-old and not really a gamer, what would I get her? She's very girly too.

KentaRawr!
02-24-2010, 02:52 AM
Has she ever played video games before? What did she play?

Namelessfengir
02-24-2010, 03:07 AM
wasnt there a new final fantasy for ds.... crystal bearer something??? get that

Rostum
02-24-2010, 03:17 AM
She likes mario games... that's all I know. She hasn't played many.

Momiji
02-24-2010, 03:18 AM
New Super Mario Bros. then? :p

Rostum
02-24-2010, 03:32 AM
Okay sorry, this is my fault - I am just lending her all my Mario games. So anything not Mario.

Momiji
02-24-2010, 03:36 AM
What's her opinion on Pokémon? Those games are always fun unless the person playing thinks they're too old for such childish games :)

Yeargdribble
02-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Are there any Hannah Montana games for DSi? If so, that.

Shlup
02-24-2010, 03:47 AM
My sister is getting a DSi for her 15th birthday. Her favorite game is Cooking Mama.

And I don't know if you've counted this under Mario games, but Super Princess Peach is badass.

Most girls want Nintendogs, but they get tired of it after like... half an hour. It's boring.

And Rub Rabbits is awesome.

ETA:

Are you trying to get him killed? xD

Vermachtnis
02-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Style Savvy? It's a game about clothes.

Rostum
02-24-2010, 04:28 AM
Thanks guys! I will look into those games. Any more suggestions welcome.

Shlup
02-24-2010, 04:36 AM
Oh yeah, Big Brain Academy should be a given. Brain Age is fun too, but the former is preferable.

KentaRawr!
02-24-2010, 05:41 AM
If she likes Mario, then she must like platformers. Look into more of those.

Yeargdribble
02-24-2010, 05:53 AM

Are you trying to get him killed? xD

Yeah, I probably missed the demographic a little on that one, but I swear every girl under 12 that I run into has a DS, but no games you've ever heard of except crap like this. It's the shovelware crap with the catchy labels that idiot trailer trash buy.

Ugh... stuff makes me frustrated... because that stuff sells ridiculously well compared to what we "gamer" elitists call real games. Seriously. Check out he NPD reports of the last years and see how often some piece of crap like this hits the top 20 or even 10.

EDIT: I think I spend too much time in EoEO today. I'm in outraged rant mode or something.

EDIT: For the sake of something not as sardonic to add to the thread, I find this link quite helpful.

Nintendo DS - /v/'s Recommended Games Wiki (http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_DS)

You maybe be able to find something in that lengthy list that you think might tickle her fancy based on the mini-reviews and recommendations. I haven't played even a reasonable percentage of these first hand, but in general I've found this whole wiki to be pretty reliable for suggesting interesting games that I've missed.

KentaRawr!
02-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Hannah Montana...

No, rage is perfectly normal.

Oh, get her a nice little RPG to play, too. Maybe that Lunar game that came out for the DS? It doesn't let you choose what enemy to hit, so it's fool-proof. :p

Vermachtnis
02-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Hannah Montana...

No, rage is perfectly normal.

Oh, get her a nice little RPG to play, too. Maybe that Lunar game that came out for the DS? It doesn't let you choose what enemy to hit, so it's fool-proof. :p

Dragon Song was terrible. Even if you took as a stand alone, it's still really terrible.

Now if you want to get her a decent RPG, I recommend My World, My Way. It's about a spoiled princess who goes adventuring to impress a prince. Also she pouts to get her way. It's a fun goofy game that doesn't take itself or the genre serious. Also it can be as hard or easy as she wants.

JKTrix
02-24-2010, 07:55 AM
If 'Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story' wasn't included in the Mario games you gave to her, then put that in there. If the only indication of her gaming preferences are that she likes Mario, that'd be a better introduction to RPGs than something pretty hardcore like Pokemon.

If she has any interest at all in fashion, Style Savvy would be my next strongest recommendation. Aside from that game, I'd avoid buying *any* game for her just because it has a girl on the cover. I did not like 'My World My Way'.

Next on my 'general recommendations' tier are Rhythm Heaven and Elite Beat Agents, which I would include on any list of 'Games Every DS Owner Should Have (If They Can't Import Games)'.

Mo-Nercy
02-24-2010, 01:02 PM
She's 15, right? If you put in a bit of effort, you can groom her to like 'real' games. Start her off with stuff like Nintendogs, Big Brain Academy and move up through the ranks of Super Princess Peach, New Super Mario Bros...

Before long, she'll be playing Ninja Gaiden.

Oh. And my girlfriend loves Animal Crossing. It's cute, interactive, has a creative element and a very long lifespan.

qwertysaur
02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Kirby games :p

Momiji
02-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Kirby games :p

Very yes

Jessweeee♪
02-24-2010, 09:12 PM
As a girl I would recommend:

Trace Memory/Another Code
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Hotel Dusk: Room 215

Not only are they wonderful games, but they're great for the casual gamer.

Miriel
02-24-2010, 09:37 PM
COOKING MAMA!

Rye
02-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Mario Kart!

Rostum
02-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks guys! I have taken all these suggestions into consideration and will be browsing the store some time today.

Iceglow
02-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Style Boutique
Cooking Mamma
Gardening Mamma
Professor Layton 1 and 2
Nintendogs
Bomberman 1 and 2
Zelda
Brain Training
Mr Driller
Trauma Center
Phoenix Wright

need I list more?

Alucard von Elru
03-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Professor Layton 1 and 2

These. Seriously. If she has any kind of an affinity for puzzles, these games perfectly straddle the line between "casual" and "hardcore", pretty much constantly appealing to everyone on both sides of the fence. Charming storytelling, characters, and atmosphere with a design that makes good use of the platform's unique charms.

Drift
03-10-2010, 10:51 AM
this http://keytom.com/syssite/home/shop/1/pictures/productsimg/small/159.jpg