PDA

View Full Version : Waking up! Help!

Jessweeee♪
02-24-2010, 03:49 PM
How do you get yourself motivated when you wake up in the mornings?

This is like the zillionth time I've gone back to sleep after hitting my alarm because I was too sleepy to realize just how bad of an idea missing class is. It's like, "GOD WHY CAN'T I JUST SLEEP THIS SUUUUUCKS okay I can miss some class, it won't be that big of a deal zzzz" I can miss a few more and still make an A in the class where I get hurt for it, but I'd like to avoid that. I found on days that I showered in the morning rather than before bed I was feeling great, but I just can't function if I wake up early enough for that S:

Maybe next semester there will be more options for afternoon classes x.x

qwertysaur
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Put ice cubes in your pants, that will definitely wake you up.

Seriously move your alarm out of arms reach. Getting up to turn it off gets you out of bed, and that's the hardest part :p

Pheesh
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I suffer from the same thing sooo bad. Normally I feel horrible in the morning so my motivation for actually getting out of bed is to focus on something that will make me feel better. Usually it's something like brushing my teeth, a drink, or breakfast (if I have time). I usually wouldn't feel as happy as if I just went back to sleep...but once you're out of bed the hard part is over.

Bunny
02-24-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't motivate myself out of bed until about noon on most days. But all of my classes are at 1:35 anyway so I'm pretty safe.

Jessweeee♪
02-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Put ice cubes in your pants, that will definitely wake you up.

Seriously move your alarm out of arms reach. Getting up to turn it off gets you out of bed, and that's the hardest part :p

Yes, I tried that! It's been especially difficult to get out this past month because it's so cold in my room and the covers are so warm. At first it worked very well (when I remembered to put it on my dresser before bed anyway), but after that I just went back to bed because I have a very small dorm room and I can't get very far from it until I'm out the door xD

Chloe.
02-24-2010, 05:29 PM
I find that once I've gotten washed and dressed, I'm ready for the day ahead. :p But it usually takes me a while to get out of bed.

Rye
02-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Showering and dressing nicely motivates me to go to class. That aside, it depends on if I have to, if I'm challenge in class, and if the subject interests me. If I don't have a good reason to go to class, I won't go. I've hardly go to class at all being in England since half of my teachers put all of their lecture notes online and don't teach beyond what is on those notes in class - what's the point of going if they're not going to do anything more than read aloud for me? It makes me feel a bit guilty, but I've still been getting all A's on my work, so I guess there's a method to this.

rubah
02-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Generally, Lola will lick my face incessantly, so I wake up pretty quick!

I always reset my alarm for ten more minutes. It's difficult to do on my phone, so it generally ensures I actually do it instead of turning it off.

Jess
02-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I have to get up at 06:00 during the week for work.

It's more difficult in the winter, when it's still practically dark outside. I turn on my tv for light and sound and sit up for a couple of minutes to wake up, and then I get up and make my way into the shower. Once I'm in the shower I'm practically awake! :jess:

Jessweeee♪
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Generally, Lola will lick my face incessantly, so I wake up pretty quick!

I always reset my alarm for ten more minutes. It's difficult to do on my phone, so it generally ensures I actually do it instead of turning it off.

Gaw, I want a kitty to wake me up. Of course that can't be very fun when she gets sick. My cat at home (back before my mom made her an outside kitty) would always sleep at the foot of my bed, but for some reason whenever she caught a cold she'd sleep on my little brother and he'd wake up with cat boogers on his face. I love her <3

Raistlin
02-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Getting out of bed is the most difficult part; once I'm out, I'm generally up for the day. It is very difficult to get out of bed some mornings, though.

Aerith's Knight
02-24-2010, 08:40 PM
"I need to go to lecture"

"I need to go to *insert woman name*".

And my personal favorite:

"It's 1:30 PM."

Shlup
02-24-2010, 08:44 PM
When it's super cold like that I put a space heater on beside my bed, so by the time I wake up it's warm in my room.

Other than that I'm also awful at waking up. I hit snooze so many times today... MY BED IS SO COMFY.

demondude
02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
When I wake up I feel like my life is the worst thing ever and I want to just sleep until I die, and I lie there for as long as possible. I feel normal when I'm actually up. I guess that probably means I am not good at waking up.

PuPu
02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Getting out of bed is the most difficult part; once I'm out, I'm generally up for the day. It is very difficult to get out of bed some mornings, though.

Yeah, basically this.

As far as I know, there's no good way of getting yourself out of bed that doesn't require someone else doing something. But as for staying awake, cold helps. Splash cold water on your face, go outside and feel the cold wind, etc.

NorthernChaosGod
02-24-2010, 09:07 PM
My alarm is a metal song and it usually wakes me up pretty damn quick, I usually don't have a problem just getting out of bed after being shocked awake.

rubah
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
When it's super cold like that I put a space heater on beside my bed, so by the time I wake up it's warm in my room.

Other than that I'm also awful at waking up. I hit snooze so many times today... MY BED IS SO COMFY.

Super cold. As in 72F.
:colbert:

Raistlin
02-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Please, rubah, don't exaggerate. 72 is merely "cold" for someone from SoCal. It has to get at least lower than 70 to become "super cold."

NorthernChaosGod
02-25-2010, 03:39 AM
72 is freezing, what are you people talking about?

Jessweeee♪
02-25-2010, 04:09 AM
It was 77 degrees on Sunday and yesterday it snowed. Texas weather is lame sometimes :(

rubah
02-25-2010, 04:20 AM

<b>The Land of Ice and Snow</b>

:doublecolbert:

Xaven
02-25-2010, 05:33 AM
Placing your alarm far away from you is a start, Sra. Jesse, but you need raise your bed so it's like a bunk bed! Getting up into mine involves standing on a dresser and climbing up the side. Needless to say, it's quite an ordeal to get down to the ground and turn off Mr. Alarm Clock (who lives in my closet). :D

I have an idea! Before bed, duct tape your alarm really high on the wall--as high as you can reach, like with a chair. Then in the morning you have to scramble to find your chair and hop up to try to turn that little cutie off~! :DDD Climb, climb!

Pheesh
02-25-2010, 05:36 AM
I have an idea! Before bed, duct tape your alarm really high on the wall--as high as you can reach, like with a chair. Then in the morning you have to scramble to find your chair and hop up to try to turn that little cutie off~! :DDD Climb, climb!

Video tape it as well. As hilarity is sure to ensue.

I Took the Red Pill
02-25-2010, 06:00 AM
Basically I set my alarm about an hour before class every night and tell myself that I'm going to wake up at that time, but then the alarm goes off and I'm miserable and I reset the alarm for like 10 or 15 minutes ahead and keep doing that until it gets to the point where I literally have to get out of bed and shower or I will be late. It usually works.

smittenkitten
02-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Well I have to get up at 6:30 am, I set my alarm for 06:19 so I have 10 mins to snooze and then I have 50 mins to get showered and clothed. I do my make up on the bus because it takes me 1 hour and 30 mins to get to my work.

To help me wake up I have my shower and before I get out I put it on cold to wake me up, then a splash my face with cold water and moisturise. Eating cereal helps me feel better and a drink of orange juice before I leave the house.

I'm actually most tired on the bus on the way home, I have to try my best not to fall asleep.

Meat Puppet
02-25-2010, 07:03 AM
I can barely sleep at all so waking up isn’t really a problem

themagicroundabout
02-25-2010, 08:05 AM
I've been alternating between using this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gNc_zci_Gw) song & this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__OSyznVDOY) song coming on really loud via iTunes the past couple weeks to get me up and out of bed. Works like a charm. :shobon:

Jiro
02-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I just get up. If I don't have anything to do then I roll over and stay in bed all day. So I just convince myself I need to get out of bed and then I do. :confused:

Zeromus_X
02-25-2010, 12:00 PM
I just get up. If I don't have anything to do then I roll over and stay in bed all day. So I just convince myself I need to get out of bed and then I do.

Yeah, I find as long as I get enough hours of sleep (which for me is about 7-8) I don't have any problems getting out of bed. If I still feel tired I'll just have a quick cup of coffee to help me get going.

bipper
02-25-2010, 08:02 PM
My alarm plays me "Bad Romance". That will get you up, and keep you up.

NorthernChaosGod
02-25-2010, 10:41 PM

<b>The Land of Ice and Snow</b>

:doublecolbert:
72 Kelvin.

My alarm plays me "Bad Romance". That will get you up, and keep you up.
That would make me throw my alarm clock at the wall.