PDA

View Full Version : The Minor Falls, The Major Lifts~

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-25-2010, 09:20 AM
So, I just recently purchased, second-hand, a 61-Key keyboard (Yamaha YPT-210) to try and learn a bit of the piano. The reason for me getting a keyboard: in my price range, spatial concerns and this way if I turn out that I don't like it then not at a major financial lost!

Anyways, between a book I have, and internet-based research, right now all I am doing is trying to get my fingers into shape. Let's face it, they are not the most coordinate and a tad belligerent :p I keep being like "I MEANT TO HIT THE OTHER KEY". So in order to this, I am practicing the scales. Since I've only had it for one day so far, all I know is C Major and G Major, and the first two measures of Mary Had a Little Lamb. :p

Right now my biggest issue is that cross overs and cross unders drive me nuts, but I think with enough scale practice, I'll get used to it. Eventually I want to be able to play both my right and left hand at the same time, though I'll save that for WAY LATER.

So EoFF, what I am asking you is for nice online sources to help me along. With what I already found and my book, I think I am okay as far as Music Theory is concern (but if you have any tips, please share), I think I have the basics down...I think...:s

So what I really want is some tips, pointers, resources (online or offline) and most of all some idea of what are good beginner pieces to start off with.

Yes, I know I said a lot for such a simple request, I am long-winded. :p

I'm open to whatever suggestions you have~

EDIT: And tips on how to read music faster would be appreciated too! :D

Slothy
02-25-2010, 11:57 AM
So what I really want is some tips, pointers, resources (online or offline) and most of all some idea of what are good beginner pieces to start off with.

Buy some books for piano is my reccomendation. The book I started with was good though I'm blanking on the name right now and I think it's packed away right now. Any beginners book (particularly if it caters to adults) should be fine to learn from and build up your playing gradually.

Buy a book with some songs that you like as well if possible. Even if it's bove your level there should be some easier songs in it and you can pick away at learning parts of the songs that are a little more at your level.

EDIT: And tips on how to read music faster would be appreciated too! :D

Practice. There is no magic to learning how to read properly. Just know that everytime you have to stop to figure out what a note on the page is you're one step closer to never having to stop to figure it out again.

Aerith's Knight
02-25-2010, 10:21 PM
Piano or keyboard is simple in this respect. Books are useless, except for learning to read notes.

Practice and get lessons, either in person or online.

Tavrobel
02-26-2010, 03:23 AM
The only thing you can do to get better is to practice. Yeah, that might mean that you'll play the same song over and over and over (which I don't recommend). Personally, I went with at least 2 or 3 at a time, so I could rotate through them. Really, practice is the fastest way, and expert sightreading is a long term investment.

As for notation, if you care only about being able to play the music, you can largely ignore the lettering, meant to indicate that stuff is being played in a certain key; if you just want to play, you won't need much of the musical theory. As for scales, they're useful for fingering and for key signatures, but are otherwise not terribly important to know. Most songs these days are transposed into C Major (no accidentals), G Major, F Major, and A Minor (all with one).

If you are having trouble with hand position, wrap your hand around a tennis ball. That's almost exactly how your fingers should be if you want to be able to play properly.