PDA

View Full Version : And I thought we had too much time on our hands...

Wolf Kanno
02-26-2010, 09:24 AM
So I stumbled upon this amusing survey (http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/16/survey-says-men-like-final-fantasy-v-women-favor-original-final-fantasy/) that basically was a "What's your favorite FF?" spiel but they actually decided to show results based on gender. So how do you feel the FF series appeals to the different genders. If this topic goes well, I might perform my own survey. ;)

VeloZer0
02-26-2010, 02:44 PM
I was much more interested in how well the sub-VI games did. Usually polls are heavily skewed away from them just because a significantly lower amount of people have played them.

What I think would be interesting (and a lot of work) is if they could correlate the results of a poll of what are the favorite games and what people think are important in the games. So we can see that people who think plot is the most important like FF# most, people who like character management system like FF# most, etc...

EDIT: In retrospect I didn't address your question at all

Breine
02-26-2010, 03:27 PM
I haven't really thought about it before to be honest. However, looking at the results I guess I'm a bit surprised that Final Fantasy IX didn't fare better with the women.

It's amusing nature and design just sort of have more of a female appeal than many of the other games, I think.

PuPu
02-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Wasn't surprised that FF7 was highly favored by both, nor was I surprised at the reasons why.

Rebellious Eagle
02-27-2010, 12:22 AM
I think VI is a game popular with girls, mainly because some of the main characters are strong females. And probably X, too.

Rad Bromance
02-27-2010, 02:06 AM
I've met many girls offline who like Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts but not many offline who like...any other video games. So this isn't too surprising to me.

As to why that is, beats me.

Raistlin
02-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm kind of the surprised an older game was favored by both sexes. FF7 being so well-liked did not surprise me.

Bolivar
02-28-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm kind of wondering how big this survey was and how many of the games these people actually played. FFI as a favorite for anyone seems odd. But it's Japan so, maybe.

This thread question almost seems like a huge invitation to be sexist BUT screw it, I'm just going to say I would expect FFVII, VIII, IX, X, and XII to be the highest for females because of the level of androgyny (can't believe that's how it's spelled). Just lookin' at boy bands, the metrosexual movement, and the general depiction of many men in anime and other mediums closely associated to Japanese video games, I would assume androgynous males would do the trick. I guess FFI just has that cultural impact trick.

But being on this site, I would say in the West, males and females, at least here on EoFF seem to be a lot alike. We have men and women who are angry FFVI pseudo-elitists, we have men and women FFVII/VIII/X fanboys, and we have men and women who really appreciated what was done in FFXII.

People are people I guess.

Wasn't surprised that FF7 was highly favored by both, nor was I surprised at the reasons why.

Having interesting characters and moving people to tears?

PuPu
02-28-2010, 01:57 AM

Having interesting characters and moving people to tears?

the first Final Fantasy game for the PlayStation platform.

as for this:

moving people to tears?

Another way of saying "Aerith dying"

Wolf Kanno
02-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm not surprised FFI was ranked so high sometimes cause I feel that this game gives the player the chance to really place themselves into the role and basically write their own version of the story in their head as they play along.

FFV also doesn't surprise me cause its pretty damn funny and the game requires more of a technical element to it than other entries. I still discover new crap when I play through that game as the Job system is much deeper than it appears on the surface.

oddler
02-28-2010, 10:59 PM
FF7 being so well-liked did not surprise me.

Me, neither. It was a good game. :monster:

Wolf Kanno
03-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Well, I'm actually curious now...

I think I'm going to do an EoFF survey in a few days where everyone Mognet's me a message saying what your top three FF titles are (so we can get a better overall picture) and then I'll make up some pie charts that I'll outsource to BoB and come back with some results concerning the forum. :D

I'll make a more formal thread and announcement later but continue to talk about how FF appeals to the sexes.

scrumpleberry
03-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Something about this survey seems kind of off to me. Maybe he asked, like, 10 people.

VeloZer0
03-01-2010, 04:33 AM
"906 people answered Cobs’ survey. 276 were men and the other 630 were women."

cloud21zidane16
03-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Well, I'm actually curious now...

I think I'm going to do an EoFF survey in a few days where everyone Mognet's me a message saying what your top three FF titles are (so we can get a better overall picture) and then I'll make up some pie charts that I'll outsource to BoB and come back with some results concerning the forum. :D

I'll make a more formal thread and announcement later but continue to talk about how FF appeals to the sexes.

That would be awesome:)as the other survey seems to be too vague on the reasons why certain FFs even made it into the top 5 and others didnt:confused:

Rase
03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
The lack of FFIV invalidates this to me.

Rad Bromance
03-07-2010, 04:54 AM
God forbid differing opinions! :eek:

Rase
03-09-2010, 01:23 AM
God forbid differing opinions! :eek:
Pretty sure God doesn't like opinions other than his, so yes.