PDA

View Full Version : Modded consoles

Iceglow
02-26-2010, 10:27 PM
So modded console cases, what do you think of them? I bet you thought I meant mod chips didn't you? Yeah well no I disagree with mod chips in general so thats out but what do you think of modding console shells/cases I personally think some can look amazing, I've always wanted to do a modded case for something ever since I saw the movie Hackers where they spray painted the laptop in camoflage colours (desert camo laptop = awesome, would love to do that but to miss the keys out or something so I could read them all still) I have been tempted to mod consoles in the past too. I know a friend of mine who I used to work with does mod them he showed me a few DS consoles he modded for fun by bringing them in. For those of you who are unsure of what I mean heres a link:

clicky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqpRyQ3Tblo&feature=related)

Theres just tons of videos like this out there, and sure some suck but some look awesome I could probably put together a paint job well enough but I'd never have the guts or the skill I think to start rigging windows and lights ect which makes me sad since some of those look simply divine.

Mirage
02-27-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm gonna try to hijack this thread to be about modchips. I love them. I've got a Matrix Infinity in my PS2, along with a 160 GB HDD where I have installed all the games I have legally bought, to make loading times shorter, reduce wear on the DVD drive (very important to me because the laser diode in my PS2 is starting to get really weak and has problems reading some discs already), and to avoid the annoyance of having to find your game, take out the previous game disc from the PS2, and then insert the new game disc. It also protects the game discs from physical wear because they won't get scratched when they're in their covers all the time.

Furthermore, the modchip lets me copy copy-protected save files on my memory cards, so now I can actually take a backup for for example the Star Ocean 3 Battle Trophy file. It also enables me to play the games I have imported from NTSC regions, such as my Persona 3 FES.

Oh yeah, it also lets me download (omg yes i pirate!!!1) games that are practically impossible to find anymore, such as the japanese version of Dead or alive 2 Hardcore. I've got the european version of it but the disc is scratched up a bit, and the japanese version has got 3 extra outfits!!

I Took the Red Pill
02-27-2010, 12:44 AM
I also do not want to talk about Modded cases so I will talk about modchips. I have a modded Wii and haven't paid for a game since Smash Bros. Brawl. Which is good 'cause most Wii games suck and I wouldn't want to pay $50 for them anyways.

NorthernChaosGod
02-27-2010, 01:11 AM
I have modded PS1, PS2 and Xbox systems. I'd rent/borrow the games I wanted and either burn or rip them depending on the system I was getting a game for. It was amazing.

As for the other modding, I never saw a point. Function > form.

Mo-Nercy
02-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Aww, poor Iceglow's original topic. I'll address it a little before I too, move on to talk about modchips.

I have a sticker of my favourite footy team on my PS2, but other than that, I don't really like to change the original look of my consoles. My PSP is that special edition silver FFVII:CC one, but I guess it isn't really modified if that's how it came out of the box.

Now 'chipping: I don't really like to do it. I prefer to buy games and show my support for the developers, but having said that I definitely do not take an anti-pirate stance on absolutely everything.

Although my home consoles are all mod-free, my PSP is modded so I can emulate my old PSX games. In doing so, I'm also able to play downloaded PSP games, but I haven't done so in any illegal manner, I just don't like carrying my UMDs everywhere with me. Anyone who has UMDs will know the plastic cover can snap pretty easily, so I put the games on my memory stick.

The DS I gave my girlfriend for her birthday last year has an M3. She loves it. It makes her feel like a hardcore haxx0rz.